Saving Bennett Reid (Book 3)

By fictionowl

[Jasper Falls Saga: Book 3] This book is part of a series and must be read in a specific labeled order. Pleas... More

Twist of Fate
Looking Out For Me
Ivy Rose
Apology
Anxiety Attacks
A Desperate Beta
Peace Offering
Getaway
Shut It Down
Gaining Intimacy
Past is Past
All For You
The Date #SpookFest2k19
Strange Behavior
It Begins
Official
Consequences of Officiality (Part 1)
Consequences of Officiality (Part 2)
Consequences of Officiality (Part 3)
Beta Mate
Hope
Phase One: Uprising
Phase Two: The Hunt
Tough
Cheesy Romance
Hush
Adversaries
Troubling Developments
Ready Or Not
Game Plan (Part 1)
The Mole (Part 2)
Game Plan (Part 2)
Woeful Descent
Raid and Rescue
Anchor
The Mole (Part 3)
The Mole (Part 4)
The Fall of Black Rock Canyon
Jaxon's Beta #SpookyFest2k20
Hope Unanchored #SpookyFest2k20
Unhinged (Part 1)
Unhinged (Part 2)
Man of Steel
A Slice of Normal
The Last Stand (Part 1)
The Last Stand (Part 2)
Iron Fist
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Puzzle Pieces

6.9K 232 297
By fictionowl

(Bennett)

Swinging out a fist, Carter feigned right and knocked my hand away, coming around me as he grabbed hold of my extended wrist wrapping an arm about my waist. One leg came to lock around mine with the intention to knock me down.

Throwing my head back, Carter hissed and stumbled away, his grip on my side loosening just enough that I was able to side step.

"Not so fast." came his cocky response, his grip on my wrist tightening once more as he pulled me against his chest, grabbing hold of both my wrists. He smirked down at me ever so cockily that if he wasn't my mate, I'd have knocked that smirk right off.

Throwing my weight forward, he stumbled when I shoved at his chest, swinging at his face, knuckles grazing his chin.

Mate or not, I'll kick a man down a few notches.

His grin returned in a know-it-all fashion that made the muscle in my jaw tick. He was taunting me.

Because he could.

Swinging out my leg, a gasp left me when he suddenly caught hold, my foot trapped between his hand and side.

"Caught you, Beehive." he taunted, earning a menacing growl from me. Hitting him a smirk, I used his hold on me as a stepping stone and jumped, swinging out my other leg as I did so.

Carter cursed softly under his breath, struggling to keep standing now that my weight had suddenly been thrown onto his shoulders. Maneuvering my body, I went low sweeping him off his feet whilst keeping a lock around his neck. He struggled against the headlock, shoving at my hands to pry them away.

He was going nowhere. Not while I kept him trapped to the mat, my legs pinning him down.

Groaning, Carter tossed and turned, left and right before managing to roll to his knees. The lock fell away as I braced my weight on my hands and he wriggled away.

I was suddenly pushed forward, Carter kicking me in the butt that resulted in me sprawled on the mat. My breathing labored as my side rippled with pain, Carter hopped at the opportunity to pin me down, flipping me onto my back and pinning my wrists on either side of my head.

He hovered over me, pride flitting through his gaze that he managed to win, but it quickly faded when I winced a second time.

"You're getting better." I commented, deciding to divert the conversation though I should have known that he wouldn't let it slide.

"Is your side bothering you?"

"It's fine. Really." I assured him, making sure to mask the pain from my voice. However, I wasn't fast enough to mask it from showing on my face.

"How about we call it? I'm sure we could find other things to do." His voice had suddenly taken on a husky, flirtatious undertone that it made me scoff.

"Is sex all you think about?" I huffed, blowing air out harshly through my mouth. Carter chuckled, licking his lips as his eyes flitted over my face.

"After last night, it's been difficult getting the image of your hot body out of my mind."

My cheeks blared hot with embarrassment and the fact that some of the other wolves in the training room happened to overhear his comment, breaking out in snickers.

"I'm going to kill you!" I barked up at him, wriggling about to free one limb to hit him somewhere. A sharp pain stung my side, making me hiss past clenched teeth, my sign of a struggle being enough for Carter to ebb his teasing. He moved back, studying closely my every movement as I carefully sat up clutching my side that blared with white hot pain.

"Easy, Beehive."

"It's your fault." I snapped, shooting him a quiet glare. "Once I'm properly healed, I'll kick your ass right."

Carter chuckled once more, leaning forward to kiss me on the lips before he stood up and held his hands out to me. Accepting his help, I expelled a deep breath glancing about the training room.

Marcana's training gym was something else. Large and clean, reeking of wealth with the best equipment.

Needing to blow off some steam after the events that unfolded at school, I had requested that Jax swing by home given my lack of a vehicle. Carter had begged me, resorting to kneeling at lunch, to spend the night over at his place. He'd used the excuse that our date night was interrupted and that he'd been over at my place several times.

Jax was also spending the night in Marcana. Though, given the way Asher was holed up in a corner checking out his mate who was currently going a one-on-one sparring session with a Marcana wolf named Vic, it was obvious that the sub would be jumping his mate's bones the second they were alone.

Grandpa Kosta didn't have a problem with me spending the night outside of home because he knew I'd be safely tucked away in Beta Chad's house. There was no way there'd be an assassination attempt tonight.

"Feeling better, babe?" Carter asked, handing over a bottled water. Accepting it, I nodded. Personally, I felt a lot better than I had been all day, the events that had transpired during English souring my mood for the majority of the day.

It didn't help that it had sparked more gossip. My scars was one of the hottest topics, some students speculating that I was still involved with Lukas' gang- him being the baddest gangster in town- and that I'd pissed him off somehow and the scars were a result of that.

The other topic revolved around my outburst today. Some said I'd finally caved and gone psychotic. Others said that they were glad I finally said something. Few others approached me and said as much, encouraging me to keep standing up for both myself and Carter.

Thus, I had gained a few allies. Mainly girls, who had experienced to some extent, what I felt where relationships were concerned. And a few guys who were beginning to debunk Mandy's rumors against me.

Of course, the bit of support I received for putting my foot down came at a price. Since there was a slip up in English where Mandy mentioned Chester, a lot of students were speculating on who he could be. She went off spinning wild, imaginary tales about their passionate love destroyed by her evil, home wrecking brother.

By the end of the day, blowing off some steam was a must. It had taken Carter, Jaxon, and Asher to physically restrain and force me into the Silverado. I had no fucking idea why my sister stuck around until after football practice, other than to purposefully piss me off further.

I was so ready to beat the shit out of her. I didn't give a damn that she was a girl. She had no right to rally anyone against me based on lies, fueling and feeding their baseless hatred of me when she was the one who went around destroying lives and relationships.

Did she even realize how many enemies she had in this school who were girls in particular? Girls who had come up to me and said that they were on my side no matter what she threw at me because they knew what it was like to be hurt. Girls who'd told me the heartbreak they suffered because of her. Girls who'd stood by helplessly as that bitch sister of mine seduced their boyfriends and mates, slept with them, and threw it in those girls' faces.

Despite all that she and her friends did and said to piss me off, one good thing came out of it. I was beginning to realize that the faction of students against our relationship simply because I didn't fit the stereotype, or because they wanted Carter to themselves, was beginning to dwindle.

It was why Mandy had brought Chester into this. For whatever reason, she was adamant people believe that I was some boyfriend stealer. It was why she'd been spinning tales all day. Stories that weren't even close to true.

It made me wonder if she truly hated me that much.

Or, did she truly love Carter?

Or, was she simply obsessed with him?

Carter had made it very clear that their relationship was purely physical. That there were no strings attached. He didn't harbor feelings for her.

Personally, I couldn't fathom how my sister could ever love someone who had used her for her body.

Was she that desperate? It was a sad reality and sometimes I did wonder what went on in my sister's head.

Actually... I don't particularly care.

We decided to call it a night for my benefit, taking a leisurely stroll back to the Hayes' residence. It was filled with a comfortable silence, my hand linked with Carter's. The guy showed no signs of wanting to let go but I paid it no passing thought finding comfort in his touch as my mind mulled over the events of last night and what I'd say in the coming meeting.

When Carter had learned that Marcana would be hosting a last minute meeting to discuss the assassination attempt, that was how he bombarded me with pleas to stay the night. Beta Chad had it arranged that my alpha and beta, third-in-command, Vince, and my Grandpa Kosta would attend.

I was worried about how things might play out tonight because Blackwater's heads had also been invited given that they were actively involved in this war. But, Tucker had no idea that my father would be in attendance and I truly hoped that he kept his anger in check.

I still don't know why exactly Tucker hates my father so much, and it can't just be because he knows about Vince's harsh treatment toward me.

My prayers to the goddess went with hopes that things would blow over smoothly tonight, with no upsets and fights.

"I'm going to take a shower." I told Carter once we'd made it to his home and in his room.

"Can I join you?" came his teasing tone that had me rolling my eyes. I didn't need to turn around to know he was wearing a cocky smirk or that he was shamelessly checking me out as I felt his stare riding up my ass and back down.

"You want me to go back home after the meeting?" I threatened and his smirk fell away giving way to a pleading expression.

"No. Don't leave."

Humming, I tapped my chin in mock thought. "I don't know. Maybe that girl was right. When was the last time you actually went out with friends? We've spent almost everyday together, it's no wonder everyone thinks I'm toxic for you. Maybe they think I'm the possessive type who won't let you breathe on your own." I taunted, watching his eyes glaze over dangerously, a growl escaping as he moved closer in a few long strides. He came to tower over me, and I stepped back.

I couldn't get away. All hope of escape fluttering out the window when he grabbed hold of my waist and pulled me flush to him.

Not like I was hoping to run, anyway.

"See what I mean? If only they knew who the possessive one was. Think they'd ever believe it?" I grinned, draping my arms over his shoulders.

"You love it." he growled out, too much turned on over gods know what, and more animal than man. I would never admit it out loud but by the smug grin that suddenly pinched his lips, he knew he was right.

It was such a fucking turn on when he got possessive. Part of the reason I deliberately wore a tank today at school. I had wanted to tease him.

"Beehive..." his words fell away in warning as he trapped me against the wall, his breath tickling my face. My body buzzed with life, his warmth seeping through the clothes I wore to nip at my skin. My cheeks flushed red as flashes of the night before and what we did played at the forefront of my mind.

His hands touching me everywhere. His lips leaving no part of me untouched. And then what he did afterward between my legs...

"Beehive!"

A yelp escaped me when he growled so suddenly, and I didn't have to look at him to know he was mostly animal at this point.

Crap!

"Fuck!" He let out an agonized curse, leaning forward and brushing his nose against mine. His eyes closed, lips brushing mine and his fingers teasingly trailed over my chest.

A swelling sensation arose in the pit of my stomach and my body involuntarily jerked when his fingers brushed over my nipple ramming home the fact that both were hard and begging for his attention.

"You smell so fucking good when you're aroused."

I bit down on my lip to suppress a moan, a shudder leaving me a heartbeat later he buried his nose in the crook of my neck, deeply inhaling my scent. He nipped at my skin in gentle butterfly kisses that left shivers in their wake and he stilled at my lips, ghosting them with his own. He licked his lips, tongue lightly flicking against my own. I vaguely recognized the faint sound of a knock on the bedroom door but was far too caught in the trance Carter had over me.

It felt as though I had no control over my own body, siphoning off of what his beast wanted.

Me.

He crashed his mouth onto mine drawing out an embarrassing moan past my lips, my fingers immediately finding themselves attached to his short cropped hair, tugging on grips of it while his tongue darted in, chasing mine. His hands moved from the wall and to my hips pressing me hard against him and already, I felt the beginnings of his reaction to this heated kiss.

Like always, such kisses of his left my head reeling with fuzz and my body became a slave at his mercy.

The door suddenly opened accompanied by Nathaniel's irritated tone calling after his brother making me immediately push the beta wolf away. I didn't miss the irritation perfectly etched onto my mate's face- perhaps peeved at the idea that we were interrupted- but he quickly masked it as he turned his attention to his little brother.

"Ever heard of knocking, little bro?"

Nathaniel pouted angrily, crossing his arms over his small chest and glaring up at the taller sibling. "I did! And I called you, too."

Carter scoffed, turning to me for confirmation. I nodded.

"He did." And thankfully, my reflex was pretty damn good so I could stand here assured that Nathaniel hadn't accidentally seen us with his brother's tongue shoved down my throat.

"Whatever." my mate muttered with a roll of his eyes that had me silently chuckling. He was kind of adorable like this. "Did you need something, buddy?"

Nathaniel pursed his lips, switching his gaze back and forth between us, eyes narrowing as though he were fishing into something.

Please don't tell me that this six-year-old child knows what arousal typically smells like!

His scrutinizing stare then faded to be replaced with a large smile that puffed his cheeks. "Mommy says that the food is almost ready and to come tell you, so it won't get cold. And I wanted to ask Bennett if he'd play some video games with me."

"Oh..." Carter drawled lazily, "we'll be down in a bit." Nathaniel nodded, flitting his blue eyes over to me. He clasped his hands behind his back.

"Will you play some games with me after we eat?" he asked shyly, rocking back and forth on his heels.

And Carter wants to put him up for adoption? Why not? I'll adopt him.

"Maybe later. We have a meeting to attend. You know, pack stuff." I returned, watching his shoulders slump. I could just about smell his disappointment that burned raw as he was probably really looking forward to spending some time with me after however many weeks of asking after me.

"Will it take long?" There was definitely no missing the disappointment there, or the hope that the meeting would not take long.

I gave him a smile. "I hope not."

Nathaniel smiled back before taking his leave and Carter immediately turned back to me, moving forward to trap me against the wall once more.

"Five minutes, they'll never know. Or, we could take it to the shower." He moved to kiss me, but I shoved him and his face away making him huff in exasperated irritation. "Beehive!" he groaned, making me chuckle.

"You heard the kid. Besides, what if next time it isn't Nathaniel who walks in on us? Maybe your mom? Or you dad? I think not."

"I'll lock the door." he fired, far too excited to do something with me that was of sexual in nature. I shook my head.

"If we do that, dinner will get cold. I'm hitting the shower. Alone." I stressed, grabbing up my bag and heading to the adjoining bathroom. I heard him groan loudly in irritation, the bed springs creaking as I imagined him dramatically flopping onto the mattress.

Rolling my eyes at that, I quickly acquainted myself with the bathroom, stripping down and hopping into the glass shower. It took me all of sixty seconds to figure out the workings of the shower that it had me wondering why it felt akin to piloting a plane without an instruction manual.

I was out within ten minutes, having to ease up on my speed whilst toweling myself off due to the injuries on my side. If I moved too quickly, a sudden sharp pain would assault me, staunching the idea of speed making my breath catch.

Eventually, I got through the pain and was able to pull on my clothes...

I swear...Aunt Zoe was thinking with her mind in the gutter when she packed this bag!

There was no way in hell I was going to school tomorrow with a panda hoodie and had thus, decided it safer to attend the meeting in joggers and the abominable sweatshirt.

Goddess knows what the hell Aunt Zoe was thinking when she bought it!

The only other option was a purple tank and a black hoodie that fit almost like a second skin.

I mean...what could go wrong though? The meeting was just between Marcana's heads, Blackwater's and Black Rock's. All heads of Black Rock have seen me in pajamas. And Tucker can't say shit with his Pikachu pajamas that he once wore to a pack meeting between Black Rock and Blackwater.

The only thing I had to worry about was dodging a sexually driven beta wolf because there was pretty much nothing I could wear where Carter wouldn't end up getting turned on. I'd noticed that, pretty soon after we realized we were mates.

Always noticing the way he watched me from afar, eyes eating up my appearance. The only difference between then and now was that he had tried to be discreet. Until I told him I wanted to give us a chance, I had unknowingly signed away his shame.

"Do not say a word." I threatened. It hadn't made two seconds since I walked out and already, Carter's eyes were eating up my attire, checking me out head to toe unabashedly, and quite lecherously too.

"Why? You look cute!" he exclaimed, coming forward to stand before me, arms outstretched as he fiddled with the black panda ears atop the hood of the sweatshirt. Carter wore a shit eating grin that irritated me to no end. "You should wear cute animal sweatshirts often. They suit you."

"Are you done?" I deadpanned, and he chuckled, fiddling with the panda ears some more drawing an irritated stare from me.

"Alright. All done." He stepped back after quickly kissing my nose, hands falling to his sides as he chuckled to himself. While he gathered his clothes and headed into the bathroom, all I heard was him mumbling under his breath about how cute the panda sweatshirt was.

I'll have to talk with Aunt Zoe when I get home.

Deciding to venture downstairs rather than wait around, my journey there short lived as I went running into Nathaniel on my way down. The sub boy proceeded to drag me down to the family's living room, keeping hold of my fingers- because his were so small in comparison to mine that he used both hands- depositing me on the long sofa. He clambered up, an iPad lying on the couch that he pulled onto his lap. The screen displayed a paused game. Narrowing my gaze at the child in mock suspicion, I made myself more comfortable.

"I get the feeling you were waiting for me to leave the room." My voice carried a light tone of playful accusation as Nathaniel folded his legs beneath him, fingers hovering over the screen.

He gave me a toothy grin, wide of guilt, his innocence bringing a rare smile to grace my lips as he glanced up at me. "Yep!" was what he said, and my fascination grew by the mere fact that this small child took a liking to me when all we had was ten minutes' bonding time.

Ten minutes spent teaching him elementary multiplication. Curiosity sparked then, when I thought about the stark contrast in personality between adults and teenagers versus children, and their reactions to me. If I made a list of every child Nathaniel's age whom I knew, there was a repetitive, noticeable pattern.

For whatever reason, children liked me.

JJ preferred spending time with me over her brothers, particularly Jax, and labeled me the better brother. Alister's deceased little sister, Kaylin, had been fond of me saying that I was fun to be around and that I was far less threatening to approach.

And now Nathaniel.

I remembered hearing about how children his age were sometimes brutal with their honesty and thus, had a knack for not hiding their true feelings. So, given the negative reaction toward me by other teens and some adults, naturally, I wondered why my mate's little brother grew fond after having spent ten minutes with me teaching him how to do basic mathematics.

I flitted my gaze to the boy whose attention was focused on the screen where he assassinated fruits in a ninja like fashion.

"Hey, Nathaniel-"

"Call me Nate. Only special people can call me that." He'd cut me off with a charming, toothy grin, and damn! Why do I feel like this kid will be a smooth ass talker when he gets older?

"Oh...okay."

Nathaniel grinned sweetly reminding me off Dash, before turning back to his game and swiping his finger over the screen in uncoordinated slashes.

"Can I ask you a question, Nate?" I prodded, and he hit 'pause' smirking at the use of his shortened name. He nodded vigorously and already, I saw too much of his older brother in him. But hopefully, Nathaniel won't turn out to be so cheesy.

Hopefully.

"Why do you like me so much?"

The boy scrunched his eyebrows in a deep frown, poking out his bottom lip in a pout as he shrugged his shoulders. "You make my brother happy. And I think you're cool."

"And what is it about me that you find cool?"

Nathaniel pouted more, tapping his chin with his index finger as a small smile graced his lips. He smiled up at me widely, showing me pearly whites. "You're not mean, and you helped me with my homework." He nodded, satisfied with his reply that elicited a chuckle of amusement from me.

"Is that all?" Nathaniel shrugged once more, looking down onto the iPad. "There has to be something about Carter's other friends from school that you like."

He didn't say anything for a moment or two, but when next he spoke I was blown away by the bluntness of this six-year-old. His brows pinched and he pouted in distaste. "His friends from school are kind of dumb. All muscles and no brains." Nathaniel's bold statement had me intrigued.

Just how bad were Carter's friends that a six-year-old thought so little of them?

He said that they were all muscles, no brains, and there was unfortunately one group of people who fit that stereotype a little too well.

"His football friends?" Well...most of them anyway. A team comprised of bone headed dominant boys who felt that the world revolved around them, their obnoxious views of themselves infecting the few humans on the team.

It was bad that I placed them into a stereotype but the conversations I'd overheard tossed around by them elicited a reaction nothing short of exaggerated eye rolls.

Nathaniel nodded to my question. "They were over a few times and all they talked about was working out and getting buff. Girls and partying, or football. And they were very full of themselves." The boy sported a sour face, displaying perfectly how he felt about his brother's questionable choice in friends that was quickly wiped away with a huge grin. Nathaniel beamed up at me. "Plus, you're not my brother's friend." he stressed, ensuring that he was well aware of the nature of Carter and my relationship which he confirmed a moment later. "You're his mate and better than all the other girls he's brought here."

My smile involuntarily faltered, a bitter feeling swelling up inside me.

Girls?

There were more than one? Other than Kelly? Was my sister one of those girls he's introduced to his family?

What am I saying? Of course she was. He'd said she had been invited to their family beach house for his eighteenth birthday. They used to sleep together and maintained that intimate relationship for four months. Obviously, she would have met his parents at some point. It's probably why she's still stuck under the illusion that they were boyfriend and girlfriend, truly believing that he would have chosen her over me. Like Chester.

Which was yet another reason I fell for Carter. He proved time and again, undoubtedly, that he was nothing like my stupid ex-mate. He made me glad I'd given us a chance.

However, it didn't stop the little green monster in me from raring his ugly little head.

"How?" I pushed, part of me caving into the distasteful jealousy that scorched me. That little green monster poked at unwanted images and 'what if' questions.

What if they used to sleep on his bed? Fuck on it, the same one I was now expected to share with my mate? Jealousy I hadn't felt in so long, toxic and disgusting, poisonous, rose up in me as the unwanted image of them in comprising positions on his bed pushed to the forefront of my mind. I pictured them embraced in each other's arms, wrapped up in the sheets, my sister's slutty limbs tangled with and draped over Carter's.

I felt the sudden urge to kick Carter's ass knowing for sure tonight, I will not be sleeping on that bed.

"Well..." Nathaniel drawled pulling me away from the agonizing thoughts that tortured me. "His other mate, Kelly. She was never really around, and I noticed he was sad a lot of the time. And the girlfriend after that. Well...that was what she said they were anyway. I never liked her because I didn't like the way she used to look at him."

So, I was right. They probably fucked in his bed and it made me sick to my stomach just to acknowledge the more than likely possibility. I didn't need to ask to know how my disgusting little sister looks at Carter because she still stares him down with that same insane lust-filled hunger. Most times at school, I'd catch a whiff of her pungent arousal and find her unabashedly eyeing Carter.

I never took it much to heart, choosing to ignore it in hopes that she would stop. Clearly, she didn't get it. She hasn't stopped and it disgusted me a great deal to see how she lusted after another's mate.

Mine, to be exact. Again.

Sorry, sis. But you won't get Carter. Not this time.

She wouldn't win this time. I won't let her steal Carter like she did my ex-mate. He is nothing like that cruel jerk and I'd do anything to keep him. Mandy better realize she's playing with fire this round and will more than likely, get burned.

It was only a matter of waiting. After all the things that transpired today where she didn't hesitate to start planting more seeds of suspicion in people's minds, she would eventually strike again.

And when she does, I will be waiting with an arsenal.

I was done with her. Now and forever.

**

"Wow, B!" came Tucker's playful exclamation, filled with amusement that matched the smirk in his tone and the shit eating one plastered on his face. I was tempted to smack him but decided against making a scene as he plopped into the seat on my left, leaving me caged between him, and Carter on my right.

We were seated at the large mahogany table in Marcana's meeting hall where the pack's heads- Alpha Isaiah, Beta Chad, Sky, and Rick- were gathered. Carter being the exception because of our bond. And Asher because...it's Asher Stone.

Blackwater's heads had arrived a moment ago and were settling into seats, Zain, Alex, Jason, and Reuven occupying those opposite from us on the other side of the table.

Tucker grinned when I raised an eyebrow. "You look exceptionally menacing tonight!" he complimented, reaching over to fiddle with one of the fluffy, black panda ears on the top of the hood. Several snickers broke out around the room irritating me to no end and prompting a threatening growl from me as I slapped Tucker's hand away.

Only, my growl wasn't as loud or possessive as the one coming from my right that drew Tucker's attention. The alpha male perked up, a smug grin splitting his face as he leaned against the table, catching a better view of my mate.

"My apologies." Apologetic, my big toe! If I knew Tucker at all, he was going to provoke Carter some way, somehow. The alpha male touched the panda ears again, a sly grin on his face. "Does it make you mad when I do this?"

A growl, threatening to maim, emanated from the boy on my right making me roll my eyes.

"Tucker," I began in warning, "he'll attack you." But, I knew Tucker well enough to know that by the smirk on his face, he wasn't going to stop provoking Carter any time soon. He could be a total asshole when he wants.

He laughed louder. "Oh?" His cocky grin widened, and I shot a pleading glare over to Jax and Asher who were seated on the other side of the table taking it all in. They wore amused grins and shook their heads.

Assholes!

Maybe I should have just stolen one of Carter's shirts and worn that. This panda hoodie was creating unwanted problems.

"What if I did this?" Tucker taunted, sliding an arm around my shoulders and pulling me closer to him.

"Feeling suicidal, Corbin? I don't appreciate assholes flirting with my mate." And as quickly as he'd said that, he gripped the back of the sweatshirt and jerked me toward him.

"I'm not a fucking tug-o-war rope." I snapped with a growl. I felt Carter's possessiveness deflate in the face of my irritation while Tucker was thrown into a laughing fit. I didn't even know what was so funny anymore.

"It's way too easy riling you up, Hayes!" Tucker laughed, eliciting chuckles and snickers of agreement from the others in the room and it was becoming annoying.

"Is it too much to ask that this meeting goes through without issue? Stopping provoking him, Tuck." I returned in my mate's defense.

Tucker continued to laugh, the sound turning into a chortling sound- how attractive- that quickly died away when the last four persons we had been waiting for walked into the room.

Hunter, and Grandpa Kosta. They were swiftly followed by Andre and Vince.

Everyone gave formal greetings out of respect except the Blackwater heads and it didn't go unnoticed by anyone.

Not the blank stare from Reuven.

Not the roll of Jason's eyes.

The stiff nod from Zain.

Or the silent muttering from Alec.

Tucker bore no reaction other than a lethal glare.

Only one man of the four whom had just arrived was unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end of such reactions.

And yet, I didn't feel bad for Vince.

Those reactions were acknowledged by Beta Chad, who simply raised an eyebrow at the exchange while Tucker continued to burn a fiery glare into my father who squirmed and fidgeted beneath the intensity of that glare.

Awkward.

But again, the question arose. Did Tucker know something that I didn't?

Said person broke the glare a moment later, averting his attention to his phone. He began typing something and a few second later, my phone buzzed from where I'd placed it on the table.

The screen lit up with a text message from Tucker that read, 'Why the fuck is Vince here?'

Turning to glance his way, Tucker was already watching me with a firm stare that demanded a valid response effective, immediately. Rolling my eyes, I grabbed up the phone and began typing my response while we waited for the meeting to officially commence.

The heads were waiting for the omega ranked wolves to take their leave, omegas who were busying themselves setting down glasses and jugs of chilled water, and platters occupied with various sweets and sandwiches.

I had no idea how long this meeting would carry on for; not that Jax, Jason, or Carter minded already acquainting themselves with what refreshments had been set out.

'He's Black Rock's fourth-in-command even though the Contest is ongoing'.

His reply came no more than a few seconds later and it read, 'I don't like that he was invited'.

Can he get more childish?

I typed my response that read, 'We can't just exclude him because you have a problem with him. I have every reason to hate him but I'm not about to jeopardize the pack's safety or anyone else's because of my feelings'.

He didn't like my response at all, snuffing in his seat. Curiosity took hold and I sent him another message, watching his expression change, twisting from a tight face to a thinking, guilty one.

So, he does know something.

'What do you know?' I sent again, but Tucker didn't get the chance to respond as Beta Chad spoke up, commencing the meeting, irritation grating at my nerves.

I hate secrets. Especially those that play with the safety of those important to me. And particularly, I hate it when those I love, keep things from me.

Beta Chad spoke his part, informing the table about the attack that happened at the beach house and how I would like to voice a few opinions and concerns myself.

"As of now, this is a Council matter and we will no longer be depending on the packs alone to assist in our investigation. It's bad enough that two future prominent leaders were attacked in a place that they should have been safe which brings forth a whole bunch of other issues we need to handle swiftly." Beta Chad glanced over to me and inclined his head giving me permission to speak my part.

"There are a few things I noticed following the attack at the beach house that I want to point out. Four men broke in with the intention to kill Carter and me. I didn't recognize any of them so it's safe to assume that they were probably rogues."

"They were." Beta Chad confirmed from his perch near the head of the table. "Forensics at the precinct's lab ran their prints. All four men were rogues who were kicked out of their former packs for criminal conduct."

I pursed my lips at this new piece of information. "Did the results give any suggestion to their most recent whereabouts?"

"We had their files pulled." Asher's father, and Marcana's commander, Rick, spoke up. "Since they were kicked out, they've built quite the rap sheet. From minor theft and breaking in and entering, to identity theft, kidnapping, drug and ammunition dealings to homicide."

A whistle sounded from my left. "That's enough to put a man away for two life terms." Tucker commented, and somehow, his tone didn't sound like a simple observation. It sounded like he was baiting someone, tossing that piece of information to garner a reaction.

Without thinking, my gaze flitted over to Vince who sat with a blank expression.

Who was Tucker trying to make flinch?

"Most of their activities were concentrated in the slums of Starlight City and through Pymbrooke Creek." Commander Rick finished making me nod as the information sunk in. "Why?"

"Based on our Intel," Hunter began in answer, "Tobias' faction is seeing a growth in numbers that consists not only of Blackwater rogues but also rogues who congregate and call there home. According to our sources, Tobias has promised them retribution against the alphas who wronged them."

"So, you see," I said, "it may not just be Jasper Falls in danger anymore, but packs in other towns as well. Which brings me to the concerns I have relating to last night's attack. If we can answer these questions and stop it, those other packs might be safe. I've thought about it. There were no blackouts in any part of the town last night, yet, the alarm wasn't triggered that signaled trespassers. We set that alarm. It leads me to believe that those rogues somehow managed to cut the power off to the house, giving them an easy way in. But that's not all. An attack like that isn't Tobias' style."

"Maybe he's getting sloppy. Lazy." Vince suggested. "This would give us a clear opportunity."

Alec suddenly chuckled. "We know Tobias. He's committed to his cause but he's not lazy or sloppy. He's a drama queen and loves attention. He wouldn't hire a hit against two prominent future leaders because he'd want to be the one who lands the final blow." Alec's stare turned to me. "You think it might be someone else?"

I nodded. "The mole we've been looking for. By the way, what happened? I notice you guys are kind of banged up." My eyes assessed their collective appearance. Stitched gashes, scratches and fading bruises.

"Our Intel was right. A buy for ammo went down on Saturday." Jason informed, rotating his injured wrist with a slight grimace. "I think it's safe to assume that Tobias might be making his move soon. We need to be prepared."

"Did you stop it?" Beta Chad queried making me frown. He knew?

Tucker nodded. "Yes. Doesn't mean another buy won't go down. We managed to run them out, but it came with a price. Tobias' faction might have grown, and some tough rogues came with it."

This roused the intrigue of everyone in the room, no man saying a word waiting for the Blackwater alpha to further elaborate on what we're dealing with.

"Well, there was only one of them. He was fast and strong, and he fought better than any of the other rogues, including the ones from Blackwater. He fought like an elite warrior wolf." Tucker informed.

"I've never seen anything quite like it." Reuven piped up drawing snorts from both Alec and Jason.

"You would think so. You might have a little crush, Reuven." Jason teased, and the fifth-in-command wolf of their pack scowled distastefully.

"I do not. He might be a highly skilled fighter but there was something off about him." Reuven shot back.

"Like?" I prodded, wanting to know more about this rogue who seemed to capture the intrigue of all of Blackwater's heads.

Particularly that of Jason and Reuven. Jason hailed from a long lineage of elite pack warriors, his parents before him being among the most fearsome warriors Blackwater ever had. And Reuven's lineage wasn't far behind. Thus, it made them both two of their pack's best.

"He was brutal." Reuven replied, and I noticed Carter lean forward at the mention of the word. "He could have killed us all so easily, but I could swear it, he was holding back."

"What makes you say that?" I asked again.

"He could've slit my throat. But he hesitated and pulled back. He's a killer, no doubt. Yet we all walked away with minor injuries."

That is strange. Especially if this rogue is working with Tobias on the promise of revenge.

"I might like to follow up on that. But at another time." I said. "Right now, our main concern should be securing the leaders and future leaders of Blackwater, Black Rock, and Marcana. I don't know what sick game Tobias is playing, but it's safe to assume it involves these three packs. Since Blackwater moved in, these three packs have been hit. We should also focus our efforts into finding the mole. We know the mole, or moles, are in Black Rock. It's only a matter of finding them. Grandpa Kosta, have you got anything?"

My grandfather shook his head. "I've been observing almost everyone these last number of weeks since we proposed the protocol. So far, I've questioned four wolves and none of them are the moles."

"You must not be looking in the right places." Isaiah spoke up. "If you're looking for a mole, they'll blend in pretty damn well. It might be someone you least except. The question is where to look? What are you looking for?"

It was then that an idea came to me. It didn't sit well, but at this point, it was becoming detrimental to find the mole and as heartbreaking as it may be, we had to suspect everyone. "We suspect that the mole might be someone close to me or with a close watch to me. An incident occurred once with Teddy Pike whom we know for a fact is working with Tobias. He confirmed that there was a mole when he..." I trailed off. The wolfsbane was a secret. "He let slip some information that only someone close to me and Carter would know."

"Which is?" Isaiah prodded. I glanced over to Carter silently seeking permission to disclose something only few here knew. He gave a small smile assuring me that it was all well, and then, I glanced over to Grandpa Kosta. Silently asking permission to disclose our little family secret.

If Tobias already knew about it, surely, it wouldn't hurt to let our allies know. Right?

Grandpa Kosta expelled a deep breath and I knew he didn't want our secret getting out, but he must have been thinking the same because he gave a slight nod.

"Some Black Rock wolves use wolfsbane as a training mechanism." I replied, glancing over the confused expressions of Alpha Isaiah, Beta Chad, Sky, and Rick. "It's a specially blended serum that renders us human during training. It builds immunity to most wolfsbane plants and boosts a few other health benefits. Wolfsbane has been used against us in the past and we simply decided it best to learn how to fight back with it in our system. There isn't much that can take me down. Teddy Pike attacked me with a differently blended version of wolfsbane that counters those in the one we use. It's how he got to me and he said enough to let me know that they plan on using it against Black Rock. Also, he let it slip that he knows about Carter's wolf."

Silence followed and I gauged the expressions on everyone's faces. The four prominent leaders of Marcana had worry and shock written on their faces.

"Then," Sky spoke then, "there might not be a mole in only Black Rock. There'd have to be one in Marcana as well since very few wolves know of Carter's situation with his wolf. Those who do know have been sworn to secrecy."

"I don't know about that." I returned. "My instincts say to keep looking in Black Rock, but you guys can follow up on this end if you're convinced Marcana may have a mole. I suggest keeping a close watch to Carter and those he interacts with. Also, we need to do something about finding the mole and putting safety measures in place for the packs' leaders and successors. If we know anything about Tobias, he may very well be after power given his targets. Asher and Laken a few months ago? When he hit Black Rock the first time, we lost our alpha and luna. The entire beta family. And most of Andre's. My brother was also murdered. Not to mention the heads of Blackwater lost most of their family members."

"I see a pattern." Beta Chad mused, scratching at his face.

"Out of everyone here, Chad," Hunter spoke, "you're the only one with the most concrete position within the Council. What do you suggest we do?"

Beta Chad was silent for a while, but one could see that thoughts were mulling over in his mind by the concentrated expression on his face. His eyes flitted over the faces of each person in the room and he pursed his lips.

"I have an idea. Curfew. Extra-curricular activities at schools will be postponed until further notice. Anyone below the age of eighteen will go straight to school and then back home. This is especially so for our werewolf population. The same applies to the working class of werewolves in the town. Straight to work and then back home. Heads of security will task patrol with keeping tabs on pack numbers checking those who leave and return to pack territory. We'll execute this protocol throughout the rest of this week and execute a town wide state of emergency that will apply to all Jasper Falls residents. Come Saturday morning, the state of emergency protocol will take town wide effect and borders in and out of the town will be closed off until further notice. Uniforms will patrol town borders and monitor any movement near it. The Council might have sanctioned Pymbrooke unsafe territory for travel, but it doesn't mean the mole would not slip over town borders to Pymbrooke or Minerva. That's my proposition that I intend to execute effective, immediately."

"Why not implement the SOE protocol sooner?" Tucker mused. "I know it'll take time since you'll have to discuss it with the Council. But why Saturday?"

Beta Chad glanced to the alpha male seated next to me and smirked. He didn't say a word but by Tucker's nod of understanding, it was obvious that they had agreed to something that was being kept between them both.

Until now.

"Like I said," Beta Chad returned, "I have a plan. Which reminds me. Tucker, any Intel from your inside sources, pass it on to me immediately. I think it might help us out. As of now, this is no longer an issue that will be monitored by the heads of our packs, but the Council as well."

The meeting went on for at least another hour, the packs' heads talking back and forth about other issues in light of the growing threat that is Tobias' faction. The Council is aware that Tobias is making buys of ammunition and wolfsbane plants from Starlight City and Jasper Falls using his connections to the underground.

Lukas isn't just head of the slums in Jasper Falls or a drug dealer. He's known to be one of the leading suppliers of wolfsbane and ammunition that he deals only to packs within the county. Wolfsbane that's used for medical procedures and therapy but never to kill. However, it didn't mean he would never dabble in supplying wolfsbane to rogues to the purpose of creating wars.

"You're right. There may very well be another buy but it won't happen here in Jasper Falls. If Lukas is smart enough, he'll run, which is why come tomorrow, the Council will start hunting him down. Our mistake was not keeping a close enough watch to the buy and now Lukas is probably in the wind. Our objective is to apprehend him."

"Are you gonna lock him away for good?" Carter queried from next to me. I glanced over to him to see that he was already looking at me out the corner of his eyes.

Did he know?

We've talked about my addictions and drug abuse, but I never told him about Lukas. I never mentioned that I fell into debt and almost got myself and Jax killed over it.

And yet, somehow, I felt that he knew. Of course, he would know I had been getting my drugs from Lukas. I was the talk of the school even before I went into rehab. Before Carter almost concussed me in the courtyard at school that morning.

People speculated. Teenagers who hung out at late hours would have probably spied me around town in the company of some of Lukas' goons. Though, I had never officially been part of their gang. I'd simply been a customer and hung around the slums.

Until I fell into debt.

"Unfortunately, no. Lukas is still a businessman who supplies the packs with medical and therapeutic wolfsbane, and ammo in times like this. If we clear him, Lukas will be allowed to walk but with three strikes." Beta Chad returned, but his answer didn't seem to placate his son.

"I'll never understand why the Council is allowing somebody like him to wander about and conduct his business."

Beta Chad raised an eyebrow. "The Council has sanctioned grounds on which Lukas is allowed to conduct the supply of wolfsbane, the types of drugs, and ammunition. If he steps out of line, the Council will shut him down and throw him behind bars. It's that simple."

Carter's hand suddenly gripped mine below the table as he muttered beneath his breath. "I still don't like it."

He knew!

Beta Chad's gaze flitted between the two of us, a moment or two, before he smiled and looked away as if piecing together something.

The meeting came to a wrap and one by one, everyone began to take their leave. My father was one of the first to leave perhaps sensing the unwelcoming atmosphere toward him. It hadn't been our intention. Truly. But I guess the Blackwater heads did a good enough job to unknowingly scare him away.

My grandfather spoke with Carter and me, reminding us to be alert and careful. Grandpa Kosta went so far as to toss in a threat to Carter about what would happen to him if my life was put in danger.

"Grandpa!" I whined, horrified by the rather explicit detail of the gruesome threat. Carter swallowed audibly, visibly stepping behind me as Grandpa Kosta's stare burned into him.

As if hiding behind me will really prevent my grandfather from killing him.

Grandpa Kosta chuckled darkly. "I was joking, son."

Yeah, right!

"He doesn't know that!"

My grandfather chuckled some more, reminding us to be careful before he took his leave.

Jax and Asher retreated too, the last time I laid eyes to them, the sub looked two seconds away from jumping his mate's bones.

Carter and I headed back to the Hayes' residence, greeting his mom who sat in the living room with Nathaniel. The sub boy popped up from his seat when he saw us and came running over to grab my hand.

"Can we play a video game now?" He beamed up at me.

"No, no." came his mother's reply from where she sat on the sofa. "You have school in the morning. And so do they."

Nathaniel pouted, staring up at me with hope in those big blue eyes. As much I wanted to go against what his mother said because I could not stand the disappointment or the puppy dog eyes, I wasn't about to disrespect the lady. The boy turned back to his mother whilst keeping a hold on my hand, switching to using both of his preventing me from going anywhere.

Like it would work, but, whatever.

"Pretty please, mommy!" Nathaniel begged. "Just one game!"

Mrs. Hayes shook her head.

Nathaniel was on the brink of tears. "Please, mommy! I promise I'll go to bed right after. Just only one game!" His tone raised and he was becoming hysterical.

"Nate, you're being a brat." Carter scolded from beside me earning him a sharp jab to the ribs. He grunted with a roll of his eyes.

"I'm not!" the sub boy fired. "It's not fair!" Nathaniel went off on a tirade. "It's not fair that you get to spend all the time with him-"

"He's my mate, you little rascal." Carter fired, effectively earning him a tap upside the head.

Nathaniel shook his head, tears brimming in his eyes. He locked a heated glare onto his brother that stomped us both. "I just want to play one game! You never have time for me anymore and now you don't want Bennett to hang out with me! I hate you!"

Carter rolled his eyes. Mrs. Hayes looked shocked.

I felt for the kid. I really did. I knew all too well what it felt like to want something and not get it no matter what you did or tried. Nathaniel wasn't asking for much. Just simple companionship.

It was obvious that Nathaniel held his brother in a high regard, and it sucked when someone you looked up to has no time for you.

I shot Carter a glare when Nathaniel lunged at me, hugging my legs since I was that tall in comparison to his tiny frame.

"Mrs. Hayes, it's alright. We'll play one game and I'll make sure he gets to bed right after."

The lady huffed, holding her arms up. "Alright. One game. And it better be a quick one. You all have school tomorrow."

I took Nathaniel over to the couch and managed to get him to wipe away his tears, taking note of the somber weight on his shoulders and the saddened gleam in his eyes. He perked up though, once I asked him what video game he wanted to play.

He put on 'Rayman Legends' and we played for at least an hour since I kept checking the time. It was early, so I didn't particularly get the big fuss over sending the kid off to bed before eleven when I know for a fact there are some kids who wake till odd hours of the night.

"Hey, Nathaniel?" I called, wanting to confirm something as the kid's outburst from earlier was seriously bothering me. Carter had gone upstairs and retreated to his room once I cut him a side eye that let him know he wasn't wanted around.

"Yes?"

"Why did you yell at your brother like that?"

Nathaniel's mouth pulled into a firm line and he glared at the TV screen, thumbs moving over the controller mindlessly. That is, until he paused the game, setting the controller aside and scooting about so that his body was turned to me. His legs folded under him, I raised an eyebrow taking note of how he kept his gaze pointed to his hands, fiddling with his fingers.

"I-I didn't mean to. He always used to play games with me. But then he found his mate and he was never really home. Then I noticed he was sad a lot and I tried to keep him company, but he told me to get out. And then she broke up with him and he became really bad to me." Nathaniel sniffled and it was then that I realized the wave of sadness I smelt on him came at the price of teardrops that fell onto his hands. Honestly, it hurt seeing a small child cry over something like this.

"In what way was he bad to you?" My tone had an edge to it. I wasn't sure why but part of it stemmed from having been robbed of a childhood where I should have been happy. I just couldn't stand the thought of any child going through all the bullshit I had. And Nathaniel was only six, going on seven.

The sub shrugged his shoulders, wiping his nose with the back of his hand. "He became really mean. He was barely home and when he was, he was always in a bad mood. He yelled at me a few times and said I was annoying him. All I wanted was him to hang out with me a little. Like we used to. I don't have a lot of friends. Most of the kids my age are afraid of my dad or look down on me because I'm a sub. When he was with that other girl, he got way worse. He used to say some mean things to me in front of her. And when his football friends were over, he used to tell me to go away. He said he didn't want me embarrassing him."

I'm going to kick Carter's ass to the other side of the Andromeda Galaxy. The kid was obviously lonely and if you asked me, he was still too young to start dealing with this bullshit. It was pretty clear that Nathaniel was once close to Carter and that's all he wants. For it to go back that way but for whatever reason, Carter isn't budging, so he's turned to the closest source.

Me.

But, there was something I wanted to know.

"This other girl. Her name was Mandy, right?" I prodded carefully, and the boy nodded.

"Do you know her?" he asked, glancing up at me through long lashes. I nodded.

"From school." No way in hell I was going to admit the truth of my relation to that bitch. "What kind of things did he say to you?"

Nathaniel's bottom lip quivered. My jaw clenched. "He used to call me names. He said I was annoying and that I would never get a girlfriend if I didn't grow up. He used to say that he wouldn't hang out with me because he was fed of his annoying little brother tailing him." My anger skyrocketed when Nathaniel burst into new tears.

So, not only did he trash my name at school, but he had treated his own baby brother like shit too. I didn't hate Carter, rather finally getting a glimpse into how the rejection had affected his home and family life.

I just didn't think Carter would have it in him to treat Nathaniel like that. He might joke about putting the kid up for adoption, but he really did love his baby brother.

"Did Mandy ever say bad things to you?"

Nathaniel shook his head. "Not in front of mom and dad. She would laugh when my brother said them. But when nobody was around, she would call me a loser and say that nobody likes me because I'm a nerd."

Goddess give me the strength not to butcher a bitch, tonight.

"Nathaniel, you're not a loser. Your brother was in a bad place at the time and when people are like that, they say things they don't mean."

"But...it hurt!"

"I know. Doesn't mean you should listen to it, though. People do stupid things when they're heartbroken and unfortunately, it's those of us who are closest to them that get hurt the worst. It doesn't make it okay at all, so you shouldn't listen to everything a person says about you. Okay?"

Nathaniel sniffled, looking at with confused blue eyes. He didn't fully understand me but hopefully one day, he will and start ignoring petty, arrogant fools who seek to bring him down.

"Did anyone ever say bad things to you?"

More than one person, and too many times. I chuckled at his question and nodded.

"Yes. And for a long time I believed them. But that's only because I didn't have somebody to tell me that I didn't have to listen to them. You don't have to let the bullies win, Nathaniel. Besides, if anyone messes with you, you can always tell me. I'll deal with them and make sure no one ever messes with you again."

He giggled, beaming up at me. "I wish somebody will tell my brother that. It really hurt when he said those mean things."

I gave him a smile. "Don't worry. I'll deal with him."

"Where did you get your scars?" Nathaniel suddenly asked, leaning to his side in trying to get a peek at my disfigured left side. Instead of disgust, there was genuine curiosity and awe in his eyes and on his face. As though he hadn't just poured his heart and soul out to me and cried his little heart out. "You didn't have them the last time you were here."

It amazed me how Nathaniel could switch back and forth between his emotions like that. The awe on his face belied the heartfelt conversation I'd just had with this six-year-old and I couldn't figure out if that was necessarily a good or bad thing.

"Do you like my scars?" Nathaniel nodded vigorously.

"They make you look really cool." I laughed at his child-like view.

"I guess. I got them from a fight."

"Did it hurt a lot?" He tilted his head.

"A little." But that's only because I was so used to pain that there really was no differentiating what was less painful and what was most painful.

We didn't get the chance to talk more as his mother came into the living room and chased him to his bed. Nathaniel pouted, obviously wanting me to hang out with him longer. But, a deal was a deal.

"Oh, and between you and me," I stated as Nathaniel shuffled off the sofa to head to his room, "nerds conquer the world. Give it a few years. You'll have all the girls and then you can show people who the real losers are."

He giggled and nodded, wishing a good night before letting his mother carry him to his room to get tucked in.

With Nathaniel off to bed, I made my way up the steps and to the room I would be sharing with my mate. I had a score to settle with the idiot.

I love him, no doubt there. But I wanted to understand why he'd take his frustrations out on a child. And one who clearly idolized him.

Hovering in the doorway, Carter was lying on his back at the center of the bed, eyes on the ceiling. Hearing me come in, he glanced up as I closed the door behind me.

"Hey! Finally you're back. I was beginning to think Nathaniel stole you for the night." Carter sat up, folding his legs as his gaze followed me, shamelessly checking me out once more as I made my way over to the two-seater sofa lodged against the wall, near the windows.

I gave him a sickeningly sweet smile. "After what I just found out, I'm beginning to think I would rather not spend the night with you." Plopping onto the sofa, I crossed my arms over my chest and locked my gaze onto his confused face. "In short, I found out you treated your brother like shit after Kelly dumped you."

Carter scratched at his forehead, his eyes falling shut and he groaned in annoyance. "I was in bad place, Beehive. I said things I didn't mean-"

"To a six-year-old, words can destroy their whole world, Carter. Have you apologized to him, by chance?"

He mumbled under his breath, looking away but I managed to catch what his response was. My lip curled in irritation, determined to make him make time and apologize.

"You'll apologize to him first thing tomorrow morning. It's obvious you have no clue how badly your words and treatment of him has affected the kid. Nathaniel was crying his eyes out to me. I don't know about you, Carter, but I've had insults thrown at me my entire life. Enough insults to last me two lifetimes and they suck ass. I've had insults thrown at me since before I was able to speak. Called the son of a whore. A homewrecker. A bastard brat. An abomination. A burden. A curse. But there's something you should know about me. I'm a big brother too and never once have I insulted my siblings. Never once have I told them they were annoying. That they were embarrassing me or that I was sick of them tailing after me. Never once did I insult them in front of others or behind closed doors. Never once did I, or will I ever allow someone to call them a loser or a nerd. Never once will I allow somebody to make them feel like they're worthless just because I'm having a bad day."

Taking a deep breath to steady my breathing and rattled nerves, to sap the poisonous anger that flowed through my veins, I ruffled the side of my hair. Carter took notice well that I was pissed and therefore, not a mood to bullshit. But, he picked up on something I said, pointing it out as he shuffled off the bed and came to plop down next to me on the sofa.

"What do you mean? I may have said some things I'm not proud of, but I don't ever recall telling him he was a loser or that people don't like because he's a nerd. Who said that?"

"The bitch you were fucking for four months."

Carter rolled his eyes, groaning as if in physical pain. His head plopped back against the sofa and he ran a hand down his face. "This is why I don't talk about those four months. I was a horrible person, Beehive. I'm ashamed of that person and the crowd I hung out with was rather questionable. Even now, apparently, I'm still paying for it."

He eyed my figure carefully, turning his body to face me. "You're upset with me?"

"To the point I have to mentally list the reasons I fell for you, so I don't kick your ass to another planet. Yes, I'm upset. I feel for the kid, Carter. I know what it's like to have insults thrown my way at that age. Except, for me, at six years old, most days were spent just trying to stay alive. But, I know exactly what Nathaniel might be feeling."

"How so?"

Fiddling with my fingers, I scratched at my forehead and pulled my knees to my chest. "Jax." I replied, turning to lock gazes with my mate who quietly waited for me to elaborate. Of all the things we have spoken about in relation to my past, we never did talk about the one-year feud between my best friend and me. "It happened not long after the first raid. When Tucker found me after those three days in the cabin and brought me back, I slipped into a week-long coma. And when I woke up, I was filled in on everything that happened. My brother. Chester. And all the other lives lost in that raid. I remembered thinking that as badly as I hurt, Jax must be worse off. He lost a best friend, and his mate. So, as soon as I was medically cleared, I went to see him. It was pretty bad. He had locked himself away."

I told him about the many times I'd tried to talk to Jaxon in the month that followed, and how I endured the rough behavior, the yelling, and watching Jax drink himself into oblivion.

It hadn't been long after that most of our conversations ended in arguments, one of us yelling hurtful things at the other. Most times, it had been Jax hurling insults and comments my way that I forcefully took my leave deciding it best to let him cool off.

And then came the big fight that led to a fracture in our friendship. One so large, we went our separate destructive paths for months and steered clear of the other.

He'd called me a burden. He'd said I was murderer for letting those assholes murder Bentley and Chester. He called me weak, following up with punchlines that broke me.

"They were right to treat you like shit, you fucking bastard! You deserve everything that happened to you! All your life and whatever the fuck happened to you those three days! It should've been you! You selfish prick! You let them kill Bentley and you didn't have the decency to try and save him! Coward! It should've been you they beat and raped and not my Bentley..."

He'd been drunk and thrown into another fit of hysteria. Little did he know, I had wished I'd died in Bentley's stead. Little did he know I had been drugged, beaten, tied down, and raped until my only wish was death.

It was after that fight that I decided to leave Jax alone for good. No more would I try to comfort him or understand the extent of his pain. He was drowning so deeply in it that he was intent on dragging me down with him. And he did so successfully too.

The weeks that followed had been the hardest to get through. We kept our distance from one another, and Jaxon was true to his words. He wanted nothing to do with me making damn sure I knew it too. I endured the insults hurled my way, and the threats. The wishes of others that I had been killed instead of Chester. I endured Vince, Cheryl, and Mandy constantly berating my existence, saying that I was weak and ineffective as a future commander for letting my future beta and mate die. It had only been then that they acknowledged that Chester had belonged to me, rubbing salt into my gaping wounds that were still raw and bleeding.

Naturally, I dealt with my pain the only way I knew how.

Drink myself into oblivion.

Stay high every hour of every day.

Cut.

Drink some more.

Pass out.

Repeat.

"I had no idea it was that bad." Carter commented. And there was a reason I chose to never speak of it. It hurt too damn much thinking about how Jaxon had hurt me.

Of all the things I'd endured in my life, not even the cabin compared to the heartbreak my own best friend had dealt me. I had turned to him in a time of need, knowing that we both needed to be there for one another in order to heal. Instead, I was called a murderer, and my own best friend wanted me beaten, raped, and killed in his lover's stead.

Someone I considered family. A brother; wished ill upon me.

"So, you see why I'm upset? It's not in any way the same, but please don't let Nathaniel go on thinking you meant those awful things. Never in my life, would I ever want a child to endure a fraction of the hell I did. Words can really fuck a person up. I learned that at a really young age. Nathaniel's a sweet kid and he really loves you. He looks up to his big brother and he doesn't request much. Just a little bit of your time."

Carter expelled a deep puff of air through his mouth. "I didn't think it was so bad. He really cried?"

I nodded. "And obviously you were far too occupied with being the worst version of yourself that you didn't give a fuck who you hurt. Now it's come back to bite you in the ass. The joys of karma!"

"Beehive..." He rolled his eyes and I chuckled. My gaze flitting over to the bed and my nose scrunched from distaste.

"Quick question. Of all the times you had my sister over," I paused, glancing to him and I could feel his uneasiness, and the see it on his face that he was fearful of the coming question, "did you ever fuck her in your bed?"

"Nope." He threw his arms out gesturing to the room. "This is my sanctuary. Sure, I had flings who stayed over but nothing ever happened. Plus, she never stayed a night over. I usually spent the night over at her house if we did anything." He frowned then when I made a face and nodded to his words. "Why? Would it be a problem if I had slept with her in my bed?"

"Of course not!" I returned, my tone chipper than ever with mock enthusiasm. Getting up, I crawled onto the bed and plopped down, glancing at his approaching figure. "If she did sleep on this bed, I would only be fine once you burned it."

His eyebrows shot right up, and he stared at me with shock and disbelief through wide eyes. "You're kidding!" I only smiled up at him rather sweetly, making him furrow his brows in concern. "Isn't that a bit much, Beehive?"

I scoffed. Bitch, please.

"Two thousand dollars doesn't even put a dent in the amount of money that went into rehab, therapy, all the drugs and alcohol I consumed because of the shit that bitch put me through. Daily!"

If I had to put a price on it, it doesn't even scratch the surface of the crap I'm dealing with still. Because of her.

Her and her disgusting obsession with my mate. Claiming to be pregnant with Carter's child. Spinning wild tales and gripping desperately to the claims of victimhood to make me look bad.

For fuck's sake! I want her to slip up again so fucking badly so that I could expose her fucking ass.

**

Grrr!

You can't be fucking serious.

Huffing, I opened my eyes and patted around the bed, groping through the darkness for my phone. I felt it tucked under my pillow and reached for it, hitting the side button to light up the screen.

1:15, the lock screen read.

Grrr...Grrr!

For real?

Kicking the duvet off, I gently but quickly removed Carter's arm that was draped over my waist. Without waking him up, I tiptoed over to the door ignoring for now, the irritating rumbling of my stomach. Opening the door just slightly, I sent a silent prayer of thanks to the goddess that someone was still awake.

Judging by the light creeping up the stairway from the living room, it was safe to assume that someone was either still awake or had fallen asleep downstairs. Therefore, there shouldn't be an incident where I accidently walk in front of the surveillance camera and set off the alarm on my way to the kitchen.

I'd wake Carter up if I had no choice, but he looked so comfortable tucked away beneath the blankets that I didn't have the heart to disturb his slumber.

Quietly, like an expert thief, I made my way downstairs taking note of the darkened corridor but also, the light peeking out from the cracks under the door just a way's down. It was Beta Chad's home office and if there was light emanating from there, he was probably still awake.

I just hope he doesn't mind a six foot three teenager raiding his kitchen at one in the morning.

I made my way into the kitchen, heading for the snacks cabinet rather than opting for a heavy meal given the odd hour of the night. The last thing I wanted was to awake with a stomach ache and spend minutes in the bathroom trying to relieve myself. That type of backup was unnecessary. And yet, I couldn't continue sleeping on an empty stomach to awake still, with another tummy ache from lack of food.

Finding a bag of spicy Doritos, I went to the refrigerator next and found some leftover lemonade Mrs. Hayes had made for dinner. Content with my small midnight raid of chips and juice, I plopped myself onto a stool at the island counter and made haste in shutting up my annoying stomach.

It was halfway through my snack, and when the grumbling and scraping in my belly began to subdue did it dawn on me that Beta Chad was not in his home office alone. Just only a few feet away from the secondary entrance to the kitchen coming from the corridor, I recognized the sounds of two voices.

Low and somewhat quiet as though discussing something of top secret, I vaguely heard the murmurs and whispers. My suspicion was confirmed a moment later when a bang sounded from the room, like someone had slammed their hand down on a table.

Curiosity poking me, I quietly continued munching on my snack, downing it with a sip of juice while I tapped into my heightened abilities. It was horrible of me, but a gut wrenching sensation fluttered through me, instinct saying that it was important whatever they were saying.

Besides, given the odd hour, just why in the hell would Beta Chad be throwing a minor tantrum? Unless something happened.

But what?

I recognized Beta Chad's voice, and another man's that sounded a lot like Alpha Isaiah's.

"You realize the dangers, the potential risks of proposing something like this, don't you?" It was Alpha Isaiah who had spoken those words, effectively capturing my attention and peaking my interest.

"I'm aware, Isaiah. But, the Council has been doing its homework on Blackwater. Our investigation involves looking into those attacks on Black Rock Canyon led by Tobias. We've interviewed several Blackwater wolves, and even a few of Black Rock's and there's a definitive pattern we can't ignore. A pattern that unsettles me."

What in the hell is Beta Chad going on about? How was I not aware that the Council was conducting interviews on our pack members about past raids? More importantly, what was this pattern the Council picked up on that unsettles a man like Beta Chad? What was he looking for?

"What has the Council found, then, Chad?" came a third voice. One I recognized to belong to Commander Rick.

They were holding a pack meeting at this ungodly hour? Was Sky here too? Or was it a Council matter?

"Alec Palmer was right about what he said at the meeting. Every time there was large scale attack where leaders and successors were taken, injured or killed, Tobias was at the scene. We saw that ourselves when Asher and Laken were kidnapped. Tobias and two others did the kidnapping themselves based on the boys' accounts. Bennett thinks that the assassination hit at the beach house might be someone else's call. And it's not just him either. Tucker spoke with me after the meeting. Calling a hit like this isn't Tobias' style, and he believes it might be the mole."

"Okay," came Commander Rick's drawl, "but I don't see the link between this 'could be' mole and the SOE protocol."

"Unless you think the mole might've been at the meeting." Alpha Isaiah pitched.

The mole? At the meeting?

What the fuck? That could literally be anyone!

At this point, we had to suspect anyone close to me. But to think the mole might be a high-ranked person? This just took on a whole other level of crazy scary.

"I don't have enough solid proof to point me in a definitive direction but just enough to base valid, reasonable assumptions. That's why I pitched the idea of the SOE protocol. Whomever it was that hired the hit on Bennett and Carter, there may be a chance they'd want to finish the job. According to what they said in the police report, the killer we're officially nicknaming 'Hush,' killed all four hitmen. Whoever called the hit, might call another."

"So, how does the SOE protocol help you find the mole? Or rather, whoever hired the hit if assassination isn't Tobias' game?" Commander Rick said, his tone filled with as much confusion as my brain in trying to make sense and link together all that I'd eavesdropped.

"It doesn't." Beta Chad replied. "The mole could literally be anyone. With the little evidence the Council has managed to find with Tucker's help, hopefully the SOE protocol will narrow the playing field significantly. Once the protocol takes effect, there'll be no way in or out without raising a few red flags. That means, if they want to call another hit, they'll have to do it between now and Friday night because the protocol will take effect at 12:01 on Saturday morning."

"So, basically, your plan is to dangle those boys like bait?" Alpha Isaiah scrutinized, his absolute disapproval of the plan clearly resounding in his tone.

"Not boys." came Beta Chad's immediate correction that had me frowning. "Just Bennett." My heart skipped a beat.

What?

And here I thought Beta Chad actually liked me. I didn't think he was planning to use me as a sacrificial goat to catch some bad guys.

I swallowed the lump that had unknowingly formed in my throat, curling my fingers into a fist tight enough to create half moon imprints into my palm. A small physical distraction to the dull ache in my chest.

Fucking fool I was to think that a man like Beta Chad had accepted me as worthy of his son's love and affection.

My mate is Carter Kristian Hayes. Of course, a defiled drug addict would never be enough for the son of a Councilman. The son of Marcana's beta. No matter how many times I repented my sins and hubris against the goddess. No matter how long I spent in a rehab facility.

I was just never enough.

"Carter will never forgive you if he finds out." Alpha Isaiah shot back, his tone somewhat horrified by his beta's plan.

"That's a price I'm willing to pay. Call it intuition, but I don't think my son was the target. I believe Bennett was."

Well fucking shit! Why not stab a guy right through the heart? It might be less painful.

"Carter was injured." Commander Rick pointed out.

"True. But Carter isn't as trained as Bennett who's an elite pack warrior. Last I heard, he and his team won the first two phases of the Contest. And he's only seventeen. I don't know about you two, but that's pretty fucking impressive. My evidence...and my guts are telling me it's Bennett they're after which is why I'm personally assigning a team of men to watch him. They'll keep their distance so as not to be obvious. But their goal is simply to protect him and prevent an assassination attempt. My son's already lost one mate to rejection. I've no intention watching him lose one to death."

Well, I feel like shit now.

Still. It unsettled me a great deal that Beta Chad was going to use me as bait to lure potential assassins. However, if this was his plan to lead us one step closer to unraveling this chaos and bringing some order and peace, I was going to do my best to help him.

Without making it obvious, of course.

Disposing of the now empty bag of chips, I washed my one glass and quietly retreated back to the upper floor as though I hadn't been awake at all. Though, I'm sure at least one of those three men knew that someone else was awake in the house.

There was no way they could be just feet away with the door slightly ajar and not hear running water or the freaking noisy ass Dorito bag.

Just as I was about to open the door to Carter's room, a sudden wave of anxiety rushed through me as a thud echoed from behind the wooden structure sounding akin to something heavy falling to the floor. At least two more knocks sounded, and I pushed open the door to find Carter scrambling to his feet.

His eyes crazed and panicked, glazed over with tears that burst at the very sight of me, he lunged forward as soon as I stepped over the threshold and threw his arms around me. He pulled me close, one hand cradling the back of my head and the other tightly gripping my sweatshirt.

My heart was pounding in my chest from seeing him like this so suddenly and hearing his labored, shaky breathing. Tears rolled down his cheeks, getting onto my neck where he buried his face. Wrapping my arms around him, I took note of the tension in his muscles and the tremble in his fingers.

His emotions were haywire.

Fear.

Heartbreak.

Relief.

His most prominent emotions that stung my nose and slapped me ever so harshly.

"Carter? What's wrong?"

His fingers tightened on my sweatshirt and he held me tighter as he reigned in his tears and his emotions began to even out. After a moment or two, he finally gathered his bearings enough to lift his head and wipe those tears away. He sniffled lightly, forcing a smile onto his face.

"It's nothing. I woke up and found you gone. I just overreacted."

I stared at him in concern, cupping the sides of his neck, caressing his cheeks with my thumbs. His eyes fell shut at the touch and his jaw clenched. Not from anger, but relief.

Now I'm extremely concerned!

"That wasn't nothing, Carter. You were scared out of your mind. What happened?" I pushed. He shouldn't keep things like this bottled up. Especially dreams so intense they send him into such a traumatic state. I'd done it for months and now I can't even fall into a peaceful sleep without sleeping pills.

"It's just a dream. Really."

"More like a nightmare. Do you wanna talk about it?"

"No, no. It's...I'm fine. Really. Where'd you go anyway?" Well, that's one way to avoid a question. But, I humored him realizing that he did not want to talk about his nightmare. Instead, I would trust him to tell me on his own time.

"I got hungry. And now you have no more spicy Doritos." I gave him a guilty grin that made him chuckle, his voice husky from suddenly waking up and spilling a few teardrops. Flopping onto the bed, I stretched and yawned, ignoring the unfailing shiver that silvered up my spine at the husky voice of my mate.

His voice when he wakes up is simply sinful. Not that I will ever admit it to his face and have him taunt me with it for the rest of our lives.

Sleep weighing down on my eyelids, I crawled under the covers and felt the bed dip a moment later as Carter scooted in behind me. Pursing my lips in worry, it became difficult to ignore the way he practically wrapped himself around me, arms around my waist holding me flush to his muscled chest.

His nose buried in my hair so deeply that his breath fell against my skin. There was no room, not even a finger space of nothingness between us. His heartbeat pounded against my back through the fabric of the sweatshirt and I laced my fingers with his, rubbing circles into the back of his hand with my thumb.

Hopefully, he'll tell me what awoke him and had him so terrified. And what it had to do with me.

Perhaps if I compromised with him. If I tell him about his father's plan to lure the mole out, maybe he will tell me about his nightmare.

______________________________________

COVID-19 is no joke! 

Wash your hands properly. Be careful!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.9K 2.1K 28
(Previously titled Sole Soul) After finding a grime covered, scar riddled, and clearly tormented man hiding in her garage, Rebecca-a shifter scorned...
371K 16.1K 49
Kylie survived the brutal destruction of her pack only to discover her cold alpha mate was the one responsible for the brutal slaughter of her family...
993 74 10
**WARNING** ~contains explicit content that may not be acceptable to all viewers. discretion advised~ Callin got on top of Blake, using his legs to...
130K 6.2K 25
[Jasper Falls Saga: Book 2] This book is part of a series and must be read in a specific labeled order. Please read The Werewolf's Mate first. As vul...