Queen Regnant ( Ace of Queens...

By marcyswales17

The third book after to Rye and Xavier's story....Please read the first two books or you will be lost :P Mav... More

Prologue
Ch. 1 Father's Mistakes
Ch. 2 Up in the air
Ch. 3 Crush
Ch.4 Dress to impress
CH.5 Ra-da-co-vick
Ch.6 Oh Brother
Ch.7 Badges
Ch.8 Rumors
Ch.9 Czara the space witch
Ch.10 Libelle
Ch.11 What am I?
CH.12 Dreams
Ch.13 Standing ovation
CH.14 Someone Else
Ch.15 Travelers
Ch.16 Not the same thing
Ch.18 The game
Ch.19 Checkmate
Ch.20 Aftermath
Ch.21 Dancing with Ghosts
Ch.22 The Princess
Ch.23 Juniper's Baker's Best
Ch.24 Bad Habit
Ch.25 Every Word
Ch.26 Put a spell on me
Ch.27 Eggs
Ch.28 Ms.Dorin
Ch.29 Spilled Tea
CH.30 Games
Ch.31 Frozen
Ch.32 Test Him
CH.33 Father of the Bride
CH.34 Little Boys
CH.35 I have nothing
Chapter 36 Sweet dreams
CH.37 Twice the fun
CH.38 Mirror Mirror
CH.39 Mary Sue
CH.40 Apologies
CH.41 Family
CH.42 Burn it all
CH.43 Lillies
CH.44 Let her come
CH.45 All dressed in White
CH.46 Letters.
47. No words needed
CH.48 Leave your mark
CH. 49 A gift
CH.50 Maksim
CH.51 Hope
CH.52 Let it rain
CH.53 Keep talking
CH.54 Cupcakes
CH.55 Owen
CH.56 Only about you
CH.57 Restless nights
CH.58 Dirty Martini
CH.59 Crown
CH.60 Hello, trouble
CH.61 Confession of a lover
CH.62 Deal with the Devil
CH.63 Itty Bitty Jars
CH.64 Basil Hunts
CH.65 Time Stands Still

Ch.17 Over her heart

19.9K 1.2K 254
By marcyswales17

Chapter 17

"Please don't tell Dad or Eggs," Mavi begged Gemma as she pulled her into the greenhouse and closed the door.

Gemma was stunned by what she had just walked into, "Mavi...."

"Gemma, please," Mavi begged again. "Promise me."

"Mavi....you were about to kiss him," Gemma stated.

"Yeah," Mavi tried to remain calm. "So what?"

"He's not your mate," Gemma pointed out.

"Oh for fuck's sake!" Mavi yelled in frustration. "Exton slept with half the kingdom, mom had a boyfriend and dad and Aunty Rose were engaged! But god forbid I look at another man who isn't my mate!"

Gemma blinked at the honesty of Mavi's rage. She knew the girl was right, but she also knew the hell Exton and Xavier would have raised if they had been the one to walk in here instead of her.

Mavi looked at Gemma with pleading eyes, "Gem, please....you can't tell anyone about this."

Gemma didn't know what to say. She knew things like this never stayed hidden. But as she looked at the desperation in the girl's eyes she was reminded of the times Exton had come to visit her in the veil. She too would have begged anyone if it meant keeping him safe.

Slowly, Gemma nodded to Mavi's relief.

"You have to tell me everything," Gemma said sternly. "How far has this gone?"

Mavi took a deep breath and agreed to Gemma's demands.

"Have you slept with him?" Gemma suddenly asked.

"What?" Mavi almost laughed. "No! Of course not. I don't even know if he likes me like that..."

"Mavi?" Gemma looked at her sister in law as if she were the dumbest thing on earth. "Have you seen the way the boy looks at you? Everyone has noticed....and they were all hoping it wasn't true. But apparently not."

Mavi began to chew on her bottom lip. Her mind hadn't yet processed what was going on. She had almost kissed Owen. Owen had almost kissed her. Gemma was telling her Owen looked at her a certain way....it was all too much.

"Does he know how you feel about him?" Gemma pushed for answers.

"No," Mavi shook her head.

"How do you feel about him?"

Mavi didn't know how to answer the question. She opened her mouth and no words came out. Her mind was racing and her heart followed. A terrifying truth was starting to blossom in her chest.

"Mavi?" Gemma took a step closer to the girl. The rays of light from the garden lamps seeping in through the glass of the greenhouse casted shadows over Mavi's face. But Gemma saw the way her eyes moved. She knew that expression all too well....

"Oh my god," Gemma said in a whisper, "You're in love with him."

Gemma's words finally broke the dam in Mavi's heart. The truth that had been fighting to get out was released into the world. She knew what it was deep down, but was terrified to admit it. Yet, when she heard Gemma say the words, it was as if she was finally free.

Mavi began to weep. Slowly and quietly at first. But then her shoulders began to shake as heavy tears poured out of her eyes.

She was a mess of emotions. Fear, happiness, confusion, uncertainty, and so much love....

"Aw baby," Gemma pulled Mavi into her arms. "Don't cry, please."

Mavi wrapped her arms around Gemma's body and buried her face in her shoulder.

"Why are you crying?" Gemma ran her hand over Mavi's hair. She pulled away to look at Mavi's face.

"Because...." Mavi said in between sobs, "I'm so scared.....I don't even know if he likes me. My family is going to freak out. And everyone keeps telling me there is no future for us two.....Owen....he.....I.....he's never going to seem me as something other than just the Princess.....What am I doing Gemma?"

Gemma pulled the girl back into her arms once more, "You don't need to find the answers to all that right now,"

Mavi remained silent as she continued to cry. Gemma's gentle hand over her hair made her feel safe and grounded.

"You're overwhelmed," Gemma noted. "Go upstairs and go to bed. Tomorrow we can figure this out."

Mavi pulled away reluctantly, "You won't tell, right?"

Gemma gave her a soft smile, "I won't tell."

_________________________________

Owen stood in the rose garden looking up at the stars in the night sky. The chilly air bit into his skin, but he couldn't care less.

His mind kept running back to the greenhouse. If Gemma hadn't walked in, what would he have done?

As the answer flashed across his mind clear as day, he looked away from the stars in frustration.

He knew what he was going to do. And the worst part was he wanted to do it.

Taking a deep breath, Owen ran a hand through his already messy brown hair. He could still smell her perfume....

What are you doing? He asked himself. Nothing good can ever come out of this.

Mavi was young. She was naive. Her crush on him was understandable.

But what are you doing? He asked himself again. Why are you behaving like a teenage boy?

As Owen paced the pebbled path in the dark, his mind continuously wandered back to Mavi. She was so beautiful, and smart. Being around her could make even the most sinister sinner melt to his knees. She could light up any room she walked into.

One day she will find her mate. She will be happy. They will get married and have children. He would be the luckiest man in the world....and she would forget all about Owen.

Owen's insides twisted in the ugliest way as he thought about Mavi's future. He knew it was bound to be true. And there was no way it would ever be him standing next to her at the church. He couldn't bare the thought of seeing her in the arms of another man. The mere thought of it made him want to rip apart a man he had never even met.

But if he stuck around, that was exactly what he would be punished to see.

He couldn't do it. He wouldn't make it out alive seeing Mavi find her mate and start a family. So in an act of great selfishness, Owen went back into the party and found the man he needed.

"Owen," Braxton turned to look at the young guard as he approached him. "Where have you been?"

"When is the soonest I can get an interview with the council?" Owen cut right to the chase.

Braxton chuckled, his chocolate skin scrunched up near his eyes. The trimmed white beard he had around his strong jaw stood out like snow.

"Ready to replace me already?" Braxton asked playfully.

Owen kept his composure and cool, "Since I'm here for the weekend, I thought I get it over with as soon as possible."

Braxton nodded, "Alright, Let me see what I can do."

Owen thanked the man before he made his way out of the party once more. The urge to turn and search the crowd for Mavi was unbearable. He bit down hard on his jaw to keep his legs moving forward and his eyes down. Once he got to his room, he pulled off the tie he was wearing and hung it over the chair. He took a seat at the edge of the bed and rubbed his face.

What are you doing? He asked himself again.

He refused to answer the voice in his head. He needed to get this job as soon as possible. He couldn't bare to be around Mavi and watch her move on with her life with someone else.....yet he also couldn't bare the thought of being away from her.

____________________________

The next morning, Mavi woke with the sweet memories of a dream where Gemma hadn't walked into the greenhouse and Owen had pulled her into his arms and kissed her breathless.

Just thinking about the dream made Mavi blush. She laid awake in bed as the late morning sunlight danced into her room. It bounced off the gold photo frames in her room and splashed the space with a hazy dreamlike quality.

Mavi sat up slowly and pulled out the row-boating pin from underneath her pillow. She flopped back against her pillow as she held the pin in front of her face. She couldn't stop smiling or contain her heart from the way it leaped and skipped.

When she realized Owen was somewhere in the palace, she jumped out of bed and got ready for the day.

What would happen when she saw him today? Would he act differently? WOuld he bring up the almost kiss?

Mavi laughed as she brushed her hair and thought of the possibility of them both trying to speak at once but stopping to let the other speak. They would go back and forth several times. She would be blushing hard and he would have that smile that made the dimple on his left cheek deepen.

Mavi could hardly keep her feet on the ground as she floated down to join her family for breakfast.

Gemma was the first to see her. She peaked at Mavi over the rim of her tea cup and kept quiet. Exton didn't notice the subtle change in his mate's behavior as his sister came to join the table.

"Good morning, sunshine," Rye smiled brightly at her daughter. "You look happy."

"I am," Mavi said, taking a seat across from Exton and Gemma.

"Did you like the party?" Rye asked.

"Yes," Mavi nodded. "Very much."

"You missed all the fun," Exton said as he scooped up some eggs and placed them on Gemma's plate. Gemma scrunched up her nose and gently pushed the plate away.

"What did I miss?" Mavi asked, making a plate for herself.

"Honestly, I don't even remember....Someone mixed Pixie brew into everyone's drinks." Exton chuckled.

"I bet it was Adam," Rye shook her head.

"I wouldn't put it past him," Gemma said.

Exton replaced her plate with his empty one and filled it with some pancakes. Gemma made a face again as she moved it away. Exton narrowed his eyes at her as Gemma pushed his face away.

Mavi eyed them as she poured syrup on her pancake. Her brother hadn't pounced on her and bombarded her with questions yet, so she took it as a good sign that Gemma had kept her word.

"Where's dad?" Mavi asked, looking at Xavier's empty seat.

"He's conducting the interview with Owen and the council," Exton waved his fork in the air.

Mavi paused, "What interview?"

Gemma stared at her plate and put her tea cup down. She avoided looking at Mavi. Next to her Exton was cutting his pancakes and stuffing his face, completely unaware of how the smile on his sister's face was slowly disappearing.

"For the head King's guard position," he said. He picked up a bowl of fruit and placed it in front of Gemma. Before she could push it away, he grabbed onto it with one hand and held it in place.

"Stop bothering her, Exton!" Rye scolded him.

"She's not eating anything!" Exton said in his defense. "She's just been drinking tea!"

"Babe, please," Gemma shook her head. "I don't want anything. It all sme-"

"What position?' Mavi set her fork down, making the cups rattle around her. Her ears began to ring as her heart felt as if it was beating in the wrong direction.

"Braxton is retiring," Rye filled Mavi in. "Owen applied for his position. Your dad and the council are interviewing him right now in the throne room."

"W-what?" Mavi felt as if she couldn't breath. She jumped out of her seat and threw her napkin down on the table.

"Where are you going?" Rye asked, looking up at her in alarm.

Mavi wanted to shout at her mother that Owen couldn't do this, but from across the table Gemma shook her head slightly.

"I should be at this interview," Mavi said the first thing that came to her mind. "I'm the future queen, I need to know what's going on."

"The council may not thi-" Rye began but Mavi was already moving towards the door.

"To hell with the council," Mavi said as she walked out of the room and stormed down the hall.

When she neared the throne room, she had no idea what she would say or do. She was infuriated with Owen. Why hadn't he told her about this?

He was leaving....he was leaving her. Was this about last night? But how could that be? He must have applied days ago....how long had he known he was leaving?

Owen sat still in the chair with his hands folded on the table in front of him as he waited for the next question. The council sat in front of him in a horseshoe shape with Xavier sitting directly across from him. Owen felt as if he was being looked at under a microscope.

The loud bang of the doors slamming open behind him threw the room into stunned silence. Owen didn't need to turn around to know who it was. The light footsteps and their pattern at which they walked gave away who they belonged to. He sat absolutely still as he stared at the Dorin monogram on the marble floor.

Mavi marched up to the table at which Owen sat and looked down at him. Owen took a deep breath and stood up.

"Good morning, your grace," He bowed.

Mavi wanted to scream in frustration. Why wouldn't he look at her? She turned her head towards the council who all stared at her with curiosity. And of course, her father had his infamous poker face on.

"I would like to sit in for this interview," Mavi declared.

"Your grace," Jack spoke up. "This is a closed meeting for the King and the council."

"The decisions you make today about who will be the head King's guard will affect me and my reign," Mavi turned her sharp eyes towards Jack. "I would like to know exactly who you are picking and what their qualifications are, unless you feel I am not important enough to know such information."

The challenge in Mavi's voice surprised all the councilmen. They were accustomed to the meek and timid girl who always stood behind her father or brother and spoke only when she was spoken to.

Mavi herself was impressed with how well she was able to deliver the lines. She knew it was the adrenaline and frustration in her that was numbing out her timidness. She locked eyes with Jack and dared him to tell her she wasn't important.

One the other side of the table, Jude Lawson cleared his throat and stood up. "I think the Princess makes an excellent point. She should see how business is conducted. After all it will be her one day taking over for the King."

The other councilmen all slowly nodded in agreement. A chair was brought out for Mavi and placed next to her father. She walked over and took a seat.

"Let's continue," Lawson said, giving Mavi an encouraging smile. "Does the Princess have any question for Mr. Radacovick?"

Mavi turned her stormy gaze toward Owen. "Not yet."

"Very well," Lawson nodded.

Owen took a seat once more as the council began to ask him question after question.

Xavier slid the file on Owen over to Mavi. Her eyes moved over the details. She didn't need to look at any annual report to know he was more than suited for the job. Her heart began to hurt every time she heard Owen's voice answer the question.

As Mavi looked over the papers in front of her she couldn't stop herself when the words bubbled out of her mouth.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She asked looking up from his file.

Owen, who had been answering a question councilor Charles had asked, paused mid sentence when Mavi spoke up. Everyone around the room, including Xavier turned to look at Mavi in confusion. When Owen sat frozen not knowing how to answer, Mavi repeated her question.

"Why didn't you tell me you were applying for this job, Mr. Radacovick?"

Owen opened his mouth and then closed it once more. He looked up at Mavi and she hated the way his navy blue suit made his eyes sparkle. And she definitely did not appreciate the way his brown hair was combed over neatly.

"I..." Owen started as the councilmen all turned to look at him for an answer. "It was not a piece of information that would have affected your safety or my ability to do my job as your King's guard. I did not share this information because I didn't think it was relevant.....your grace."

"So you think as the head of the king's guard you can decide what news is relevant and what I should know?"

"No, I don't th-"

"Edward Pines has also applied for this position," Mavi cut Owen off. "He is your senior. He is way more experienced than you. What makes you better? Why should we pick you over Mr. Pines?"

Owen took a deep breath. He had known Edward was applying for the position as well. He was tough competition.

"Mr. Pines is my senior," Owen admitted. "He does have more experience than me. However, I feel my work ethics and my-"

"When did you apply for this job?" Mavi grew more and more irritated with Owen's calmness. She didn't care for any of his answers. She wanted to storm over to the table and demanded to know why he was doing this.

"I think we can end the interview here," Xavier finally intervened. As he stood, so did everyone else in the room. Everyone that is except Mavi. She sat in her seat glaring at Owen. He did not dare look at her because he knew she was grilling him.

"Thank you, Mr. Radacovick," Xavier said to Owen. "We will declare our decision soon."

"Thank you, your grace," Owen bowed.

Mavi jumped up from her seat and walked around the table. She looked over at her father.

"Until the decision is made, Mr. Radacovick is still my king's guard, correct?" She asked.

"Yes," Xavier confirmed.

Mavi turned her attention back to Owen, "May I speak to you, Mr. Radacovick? Alone?"

Owen hesitated and looked at Xavier. Why did that man never give anything away about what he was thinking?

"Of course, your grace." He finally agreed, without a choice.

Mavi huffed past him and he bowed to Xavier once more before following her out of the room. He followed her all the way down to the back french doors of the palace. The halls were empty as Mavi's footsteps echoed.

"Your grace," Owen called out to her and she turned to face him dramatically.

"Don't call me that!"

Owen sighed. He scratched one of his brows with his thumb and then stood still as he waited for Mavi to say something.

"When were you going to tell me?" Mavi demand.

"If I got the job," Owen said blankly.

"You mean right before you left?"

Owen did not answer.

"Is this about last night?" Mavi dared to ask.

Owen was hoping she wouldn't bring that up but he knew it was inevitable.

"Last night....we.....I got carried away," Owen said slowly.

Mavi's heart began to hurt again. She held her breath for what was to come.

"It was inappropriate," Owen said, shattering Mavi's heart. "It should have never reached that point. I did not stay within my boundaries."

Inappropriate.....boundaries.....

Mavi head began to spin.

"It won't happen again," Owen said as his own heart sank to the bottom of his stomach.

Mavi locked her glossy eyes with him and took a deep breath. Owen couldn't stand looking at her standing in front of him like that. He dropped his gaze and as he did, he spied the row-boating badge she had pinned to her shirt over her heart. 

Oh noooooooo! what have I done?? *evil laugh* 

What part did you like? <3 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 4.7K 36
It's the third book. The second book is Obsessions. First book is Forced Mating.
6K 409 32
Recommended reading the first two books. ALPHA LUNA It can be read as stand-alone if wanted though. (Some references may be confusing) *EDITING* Mia...
24.9K 1.4K 23
She's the daughter of an alpha. Her mother is the alpha. Her brother also wants the title. After four years of her brother being away he comes back c...
1.3M 61.8K 38
Exton Alexander Dorin knew from the start Gemma Moore was not what he wanted. She came in like a hurricane and turned his life upside down...or so he...