Sincerely Yours [Stefan Salva...

By CaptainMjolnir

In which Lucy discovers there is more to her than being a Gilbert. Slow burn. Stefan Salvatore x Original Ch... More

[Introduction]
[Aesthetics]
[Playlist]
[01. New Year, New Guy]
[02. Boss Lady]
[03. Jedi Mind Powers]
[04. In the Know]
[05. Fun Facts About Stefan Salvatore]
[06. Transition]
[07. Halloween Blues]
[08. Damon's Plan]
[09. The Haunting of Bonnie Bennett]
[10. The Logan Problem]
[11. The Truth]
[12. Decade Dance Disaster]
[13. Grimoire Hunting]
[14. The Tomb]
[15. Biological Parents]
[16. Damsel in Distress]
[17. Uncle John Returns]
[18. Stefan's On Edge]
[19. Jonathan Gilbert's Invention]
[20. The Council Attacks]
[21. Katherine]
[22. Caroline's Carnival]
[23. Hunting Lessons and Full Moons]
[24. Sibling Conflict]
[25. The Moonstone]
[26. Killing Katherine]
[27. Elijah]
[28. The Truth and Nothing but the Truth]
[29. Plan Gone Wrong]
[30. Deal or No Deal]
[31. Werewolf Problem]
[32. Elijah's Intentions]
[33. Isobel Returns]
[34. Niklaus]
[35. Klaus' Curse]
[36. Love for Jenna]
[37. The First Hybrid]
[38. The Confession]
[39. Letters to Stefan]
[40. Summer Loving]
[41. Take a Hike]
[42. Roadtrip to the Windy City]
[44. Senior Year]
[45. Henrik]
[46. Mikael]
[47. Revenge Isn't Sweet]
[48. Lies]
[49. Bonding]
[50. Kol, Finn, and Esther]
[51. Mikaelson Ball]
[52. Collateral Damage]
[53. Mystery Solving]
[54. Alter-Ego]
[55. Everything Has Changed]
[56. 163]
[57. Be Still]
[58. Saving Elena]
[59. Make-shift Plans]
[60. A New Era]
[61. Letting Go]
[62. Voicemails and Anger Problems]
[63. There's a Cure]
[64. Secrets and Lies, Lies and Secrets]
[65. Relationship Milestone]
[66. Crowned]
[67. Montage]
[68. Chaotic Fury]
[69. Think to Yourself]
[70. We'll Be Together]
[71. There Wasn't a Choice]
[72. Out of Control]
[73. The Search]
[74. Prom]
[75. Teaming Up with Bonnie and Kit]
[76. Dropping the Veil]
[77. The Start of a New Life]
[78. Always and Forever]
[79. More Letters to Stefan]
[80. The Roommate]
[81. Silas]
[82. Qetsiyah]
[83. Memorial]
[84. Historical Figures]
[85. The Anchor]

[43. Rebekah]

6.2K 241 118
By CaptainMjolnir

[3x05; The Reckoning]

"I know you said that you didn't want to do this but this is a rite of passage, okay?" Caroline nudged Lucy with her elbow, balancing ten sleeves of paper cups in her arms. "Besides, maybe it will distract you from what's going on."

Lucy shrugged as they entered the school for senior prank night, a box of mousetraps in her hands. "Nothing's going on, Carebear."

Caroline gave her a look of disbelief. "The guy you have a crush on is your sister's boyfriend who is a vampire currently traveling the country with your hybrid brother who's literally a thousand years old. Your sister is in denial about her boyfriend's absence and flirting up a storm with his brother. Your biological father was killed by said brother and brought back to life by a mystical ring and your younger brother is seeing the ghosts of his dead vampire girlfriends. Did I get all that right?"

"...yes."

"And you're friends-with-benefits with my ex-boyfriend."

"Okay, you said you weren't mad about that," Lucy reminded Caroline as they set their things down in the gym where more of their classmates wandered around; Caroline just winked at her. "And you have a lot going on, too, Care."

"Exactly!" Caroline poked Lucy's left dimple, causing her to flinch away, giggling. "My dad tortured me because I'm a vampire and can't be compelled. I need this prank night, okay?"

"The only reason I'm here is for you," Lucy pointed out, wrapping an arm around Caroline's shoulders. "Now, where are our friends?"

"Right there," Caroline grinned, nodding to Elena, Bonnie, and Tyler as they walked into the gym. She grabbed Lucy's arm and the box of mousetraps, tugging her over to them. "Come on!"

Tyler greeted Caroline with a kiss while Lucy hugged Elena and Bonnie, glad that the witch was finally home from a summer-long vacation with her dad's family.

"We've got mousetraps," Lucy explained. "Care wants to set them up in Mr. Cassidy's room."

"He only gave me a ninety last year so he deserves it," Caroline explained. "Let's go. There's so much to do."

The group of friends followed Caroline to the English hallway, entering Mr. Cassidy's room at the blonde's insistence. They immediately set to work, placing down mousetraps in a complicated pattern around the desks. They covered every inch of the floor where someone could walk. As soon as Mr. Cassidy would open the door the mousetraps would go off, shocking the man.

Their prank worked but it wasn't Mr. Cassidy that made it go off—it was Matt.

"Oh, come on!" Caroline exclaimed as Matt opened the door and the hundreds of mousetraps went off. "Seriously? Do you know how long it took for us to set all this up?"

Lucy looked at the time on her phone—it took almost two whole hours.

A sweaty Matt looked around the room in shock as Lucy, Elena, and Bonnie got to their feet.

"Forgot senior prank night, huh?" Tyler asked him.

Matt scoffed. "Clearly."

"How could you forget?" Caroline shook her head passionately. "We've only been waiting for this since, like, freshman year."

"I didn't want to come but apparently a distraction was needed," Lucy spoke up, giving Caroline a teasing look. "If I have to do this, Matt, you do too."

"I'm kind of surprised any of you are doing this."

"Caroline's making us," Elena explained.

"We're about to be seniors," Caroline defended herself. "These are the memories that stay with us forever and if we don't—"

"And if we don't create these memories now, then what's the point of it all," Elena cut her off with a smirk.

Lucy snickered, sharing an amused look with Bonnie.

"Go ahead and make fun, I don't care," Caroline stuck her tongue out at her best friends.

"You're all lame," Tyler sighed, picking up a box of pranking supplies. "and I've got ten more classrooms to prank."

Elena got up to follow him out of the room, stopping when Bonnie called her name.

"Hey, where are you going?"

"To superglue Alaric's desk shut," Elena smiled mischievously. "I'm making memories. Wanna come Luce?"

Lucy raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Maybe prank night's not so bad. I'm in."

As she and Elena hurried out of the classroom, they heard Caroline shout, "I love you guys!"

Lucy and Elena passed Tyler, who was giving out supplies to a couple of his teammates with instructions to go to the gym and headed to the history hallway.

"Maybe we could hide a whoopie cushion in Ric's chair," Lucy suggested as Elena walked through the door separating the English and history hallways. "We're in his first period. That'd be funny to see."

"Fart jokes," Elena said flatly as the door shut behind them. "That's always a hit."

Lucy's laughter was cut off with a sharp inhale as they came face-to-face with a smirking Klaus; Elena gasped loudly, her eyes widening.

"There's my girl," Klaus' smirk fell as Elena turned to run away; he sped in front of her. "You're supposed to be dead. What are we going to do about that?"

Klaus grabbed Elena's arm with one hand and Lucy's arm with the other and started dragging them down the hallway. He was walking too quickly and it was making Lucy trip every other step.

"You put a rather large kink in my plans, sweetheart," Klaus told Elena as they moved along. "The whole point of breaking the curse and becoming a hybrid was to make more hybrids. I haven't been able to do that. Now, my bet is, it has something to do with the fact that you're still breathing."

"How about we just take a beat?" Lucy spoke up breathlessly, her wrist aching from his tight grip on her. "We can sit down and discuss this calmly and rationally. Doesn't that sound nice?"

"I don't have time for your witty comments right now, Luciana," Klaus spat as he turned down another hallway, heading toward the gym. "Shut up and walk."

As Lucy glowered at her brother, Elena fought against his grip, growing angry. "If you're going to kill me, just do it."

"Not until I know I'm right," Klaus insisted as he opened the door into the gym lobby and pushed the girls through it. "but I do have ways of making you suffer."

They briskly made their way through the lobby and entered the gym where twenty of their classmates were setting up the water-filled cups that covered half the floor already.

"Attention, seniors," Klaus announced in a hideous American accent. "You have officially been busted. Prank night is over. Head on home."

Their classmates filed out of the gym, looking disappointed, and Klaus let go of Lucy and Elena. He sauntered over to Dana and her boyfriend, Chad, pointing at them in recognition.

"You two," he recalled. "I remember you."

"I'm sorry?" Dana gave him a confused look. "Who are you?"

"Oh, don't worry, I wasn't in my right head last time we met," Klaus excused before compelling her, "Lift your foot up, please, Dana."

Dana had no choice but to obey his command; she stared blankly at him as she lifted her right foot into the air.

Klaus immediately turned to Chad. "If she drops her foot, Chad, I want you to beat her to death. Understood?"

Chad nodded, bewildered.

"Leave them out of this, Nik," Lucy glared at him. "You don't have to hurt anybody."

"Of course, I do, love," Klaus clicked his tongue. "What was it you told Stefan? I have a bad temper?"

Ignoring the questioning look that Elena was giving her, Lucy rolled her eyes; Klaus was such a drama queen. If it was anyone else, they'd literally let that comment slide right off their back.

All too soon, Dana started trembling, her leg getting tired. She wobbled a bit and cried out; Lucy went to go help her, but Klaus grabbed the back of her t-shirt to keep her by his side.

"Keep it up," he advised Dana, watching her carefully.

"Where's Stefan?" Elena asked him.

Klaus let go of Lucy's shirt to cross his arms over his chest. "Stefan's on a time out. He's been misbehaving, you know."

"He's not your pet."

Klaus went to retort to Lucy's comment but was interrupted by the doors opened. Bonnie and Matt walked into the gym, seeming oblivious to the fact that there was a serious life-or-death situation going on.

"Bonnie, get out of here!" Elena yelled at them, catching their attention.

Bonnie's eyes widened when she saw Klaus; he sped toward her, ending up behind her so she would turn around in fright.

"I was wondering when you'd show up," Klaus smirked at her. "Now we can get started," he looked over at Dana and Chad and called, "Dana, why don't you relax? You and Chad sit tight."

While Klaus was distracted with taunting Bonnie, Lucy made her way over to Dana and Chad. She pressed a hand on each of their shoulders and siphoned Klaus' compulsion away, keeping an eye on him so he wouldn't notice.

She discovered that she could siphon compulsion away over the summer. Joel had been training Jeremy and Lucy and has taken Jeremy's vervain away so he could compel him. He then instructed Lucy to siphon the compulsion away; she did and it felt amazing that she could use her powers for something over than aneurysms and fire. To be honest, she felt kind of stupid she didn't realize that she could do it before; the reason that she couldn't be compelled in the first place was because she eventually siphoned it away.

"Be quiet and stay still," Lucy whispered to them. "Don't draw his attention, okay?"

Dana and Chad nodded silently, looking at Klaus with frightened eyes.

As Lucy made her way back over to her friends, she heard Klaus accuse Bonnie, "I assume you're the reason Elena's still walking around alive?"

"That's right," Bonnie raised her chin defiantly. "If you want to blame someone, blame me."

"Oh, there's no need for blame, love," Klaus narrowed his eyes. "Just your witchy interference seems to have caused some undesirable side effects. And, since you caused the problem, I'm going to have you find the fix."

The gym doors opened and a tall blonde that Lucy immediately recognized walked in, dragging Tyler behind her.

Luciana and Rebekah sat at the bank of the quarry, washing the garments their family dirtied up. The boys were off hunting and, once again, they weren't allowed to attend. Instead, their mother sent them to do the wash, knowing it would take most of the day and keep their minds off their brothers.

"Kol was teaching me a spell yesterday, Bekah," Luciana told her older sister as she scrubbed at a particularly stubborn stain on her father's shirt. "Do you want to know what it was?"

"Go on, Luci," Rebekah agreed, wringing out one of her mother's dresses. "What did Kol teach you?"

"Incendia," Luciana smiled. "He even let me siphon off him without asking Mother. I was able to make a small flame. It was very exciting."

"Excellent work," Rebekah gave her a proud grin. "Soon you will be just as powerful as Kol and he will be envious."

"I do not have my own magic," Lucy frowned. "but Kol does become jealous easily."

"Because he is a man. They want to be the best at everything."

Luciana nodded in agreement, knowing that her twin brother was becoming much like Kol, Niklaus, Elijah, and Finn.

"Mother and Father took me aside the other day."

Luciana looked at her curiously. "What for?"

"They have negotiated my hand to Bjorn Alekson," Rebekah frowned and started scrubbing another garment. "I am to be wed come summertime."

"You are only eighteen summers, Bekah," Luciana gasped in shock.

"Quite honestly, I am surprised I was not married sooner," Rebekah sighed. "Mother wanted to wait and you know how Father takes her opinion on these matters."

Luciana nodded and bowed her head. "Are you upset?"

"Not too much. It's a woman's duty to be married," Rebekah sighed; Luciana could hear the stress in her voice. "I think it will be nice to have a wedding."

Luciana pulled her hand out of the water and grabbed Rebekah's, giving her a comforting squeeze. "Yes, it will be," she agreed. "You can have violets in your bouquet. They will bring out the color of your eyes."

"Yes, Luci," Rebekah smiled softly at Luciana. "they will."

"Get off of me!" Tyler complained, bringing Lucy out of her memory.

"Hush now," Rebekah shushed him and passed him off to Klaus, her blue eyes glued to Lucy. "Luciana."

"Rebekah," tears stung Lucy's eyes as she stared back at her; Rebekah had been her dearest friend and sister in her first life. She had been waiting to meet her for months.

Rebekah used her vampire speed to rush over to her, lifting a pale hand to Lucy's cheek. "Look at you. Look how grown up you are," she whispered shakily, her eyes wet with happy tears. "Oh, I missed you so much, Luci."

Lucy pulled Rebekah into a tight hug, avoiding the bewildered looks that Elena, Matt, and Bonnie were giving her. Klaus watched on with a small smile as his little sisters reunited for the first time in a thousand years.

"Okay," he finally spoke up when the hug went on a few seconds too long. "There's more time for reunions later, girls."

Rebekah sighed and pulled away from Lucy, fixing her brother an annoyed glare. "You knew she was alive for months and I get three bloody seconds with her."

"Everyone, I'd like you all to meet my sister, Rebekah," Klaus introduced her. "Word of warning, she can be quite mean."

"Don't be an ass," Rebekah pouted. "Just get on with it."

"Right," Klaus nodded, focusing back on Tyler, who was struggling uselessly in his grip. "I'm going to make this very simple. Every time I attempt to turn a werewolf into a vampire hybrid, they die during the transition. It's quite horrible, actually."

Klaus pulled up his sleeve and bit his wrist, pressing the wound against Tyler's lips and forcing him to drink the blood.

"I need you to find a way to save my hybrids, Bonnie," Klaus warned Bonnie, staring right at her. "And, for Tyler's sake..." he casually snapped Tyler's neck, causing him to fall to the floor. "you better hurry."

"Oh, my God," Lucy gasped, looking at Tyler's body in shock.

While Klaus and Rebekah retreated across the gym to give them space, Matt rushed over to Tyler's body, pressing his fingers to his neck. Lucy knew that he would find no pulse but it seemed that Matt wanted to check if his best friend was actually dead.

Matt collapsed on his ass, staring at Tyler with wide eyes. "He killed him."

"He's not dead," Lucy comforted him, biting her lip worriedly. "Nik's blood will turn him into a vampire."

"And if Bonnie's successful, he'll live through his transition," Klaus called from the bleachers as he and Rebekah got up and started walking back over to them. "Go on, then. Go and fetch your grimoires and enchantments and what-not," he waved Bonnie off and grabbed Elena's arm. "I'll hold onto Elena and Luciana for safe keeping."

Bonnie shot Elena a desperate look and Elena nodded, silently telling her that it was okay to go and look for something to save Tyler. Bonnie nodded back and grabbed Matt's wrist, leading him out of the gym.

Once the doors were shut, Rebekah looked over Elena with a judgmental expression. "So, this is the latest doppelganger?" she asked rhetorically. "The original one was much prettier."

"They're identical, Bekah," Lucy shot her a hard look; Rebekah smiled innocently.

"Enough, Rebekah," Klaus scolded her. "Take the wolf boy elsewhere, would you?"

Rebekah gave Lucy and Elena another sweet smile and walked over to Tyler, grabbing his hand and dragging him out of the gym.

"Just ignore her," Klaus advised Elena with a smirk. "Petty little thing."

Lucy sighed heavily and stepped away from Klaus, walking over to Dana and Chad to check on them. "How are you guys doing?" she asked quietly, sitting next to Dana. "It's okay to be scared."

"I don't—I don't understand," Dana stammered, her eyes on Klaus, who was watching Lucy curiously. "What's happening? What is he?"

"Shh, just calm down," Lucy said soothingly, grabbing Dana's hand and making eye contact with Chad. "Everything's gonna be okay."

Dana nodded jerkily and Lucy fell silent, just offering her confused classmates as much comfort as she could. Elena slowly made her way next to Chad to offer solidarity and Klaus planted himself on the bleachers, waiting for Bonnie to come back with a solution for his hybrids.

It wasn't Bonnie who came through those doors, though. It was Stefan.

Elena stood up, her eyes wide. "Stefan?"

Stefan gave her a quick, weary look that had Lucy worried. She followed Elena's lead and stood up, walking a few feet in front of Dana and Chad.

"Klaus..."

"Come to save your damsel, mate?" Klaus asked casually. "Or is it damsels?"

Lucy didn't know what Klaus was implying but she was kind of offended by the fact he was calling her a damsel. She could defend herself but so far she felt like she hadn't needed to. She was confident Klaus and Rebekah wouldn't hurt her.

Did they make her stupid? Maybe...

"I came to ask for your forgiveness," Stefan insisted. "and pledge my loyalty."

"Well, you broke that pledge once already."

"Elena means nothing to me anymore," Stefan raised his voice. "and whatever you ask of me, I will do."

Lucy bit her lip and grabbed her sister's hand, stepping closer to her.

Klaus eyed Stefan for a moment before standing up and hopping off the bleachers. "Fair enough. Let's drink on it," he gestured toward Chad and Dana. "Kill them."

"Klaus, no!" Lucy protested as Chad and Dana scrambled to their feet. "Let them go."

"I don't think so, love," he turned back to Stefan. "What are you waiting for? Kill them."

"No, Stefan, don't!" Elena exclaimed as Stefan looked from Klaus to Chad and Dana. "He's not going to hurt me. He already said—"

Elena was cut off by Klaus, who had crossed over to her and back handed her so hard that she fell to the floor in a heap. Lucy gasped and ran over to her sister, crouching down next to her as Stefan blurred toward Klaus.

Klaus easily overpowered him, slapping his hand away and wrapping his own around his neck. "She means nothing to you?" he repeated Stefan's claim. "Your lies just keep piling up."

"Let them go!" Stefan choked. "I'll do whatever you want. You have my word."

"Your word doesn't mean much," Klaus sneered. "I lived by your word all summer, during which time I never had to resort to this..." he lowered his head to look Stefan in the eyes, compelling him, "Stop fighting."

"Nik, please don't!"

"Don't do this," Stefan begged, trying to resist Klaus' compulsion. "Don't do this."

"I didn't want to," Klaus replied as though Stefan was forcing him to compel him. "All I wanted was your allegiance. Now, I'm going to have to take it."

"Don't...don't..."

"You will do exactly as I say when I say it," Klaus forcefully compelled Stefan. "You will not run, you will not hide, you will simply just obey."

As Klaus let go of him and the compulsion set in, Stefan stared blankly at the floor. Lucy knew that Stefan had no choice to obey Klaus' orders and she didn't want to hurt him, but she couldn't just let him kill Dana and Chad.

She reached for her necklace but was stopped when Klaus clicked his tongue and sped over to her. He wrapped his arm around her collar and kept her hands in place against it, making her unable to get to her necklace and unable to help Dana and Chad.

"Now," Klaus smirked, his attention back on Stefan. "kill them, ripper."

Stefan's chin lowered as he laid his eyes on Dana and Chad. Dark veins rippled under his eyes and his irises reddened into a menacing color, his fangs descending from his gums. He was at Dana's neck in a second, taking a deep bite out of her, causing her to scream.

Lucy grimaced, her stomach rolling, and looked away, unable to watch as Stefan killed two of her classmates—people she grew up with. Within a minute, Dana's body hit the floor with a sickening thud and Chad was screaming as Stefan turned on him.

The screaming eventually stopped and there were two separate squelches as Chad's body and head fell to the floor. Klaus let go of Lucy, satisfied that she couldn't interfere, and watched Stefan fondly.

"It's always nice to see a vampire in his true element," he mused. "The species has become such a broody lot."

"No," Elena spat through gritted teeth, looking at Stefan with disgust. "you did this to him."

"I'm just the one who invited him to the party, love," Klaus quipped. "he's the one dancing on the table."

The doors were flung open and Rebekah stomped into the gym, looking furious. "Where is it?" she snapped. "Where's my necklace?"

Lucy gave her a confused look while Klaus sighed, "What are you talking about?"

"She has my necklace," Rebekah said briskly, handing him Caroline's phone. "Look."

Where the hell was Caroline and why did Rebekah have her phone?

Klaus tapped on the screen and studied the picture before looking at Stefan. "Well, well, more lies."

"Hold on, what necklace?" Lucy asked, feeling out of the loop. Why would Elena have Rebekah's necklace? How the hell would she even get it?

"It's a silver locket with a red gem at the top," Rebekah replied, glaring at Elena. "Where. Is. It?"

"I don't have it anymore."

"You're lying!" Rebekah shouted at Elena and lunged at her, biting into her neck.

As Elena screamed, Lucy quickly siphoned magic from her necklace and gave Rebekah the strongest aneurysm she could muster. Rebekah fell away from Elena, grunting in pain, and Klaus grabbed Lucy's arm, shaking her enough that she lost her concentration.

"Knock it off!" he roared, looking between his sisters.

"Make her tell me where it is, Nik!" Rebekah cried, glaring furiously at Elena.

"She doesn't have it!"

"Shut it," Klaus gave Lucy a warning look at her outburst and nodded at Stefan, gesturing for him to take his spot holding Lucy back from casting any more defensive spells.

Stefan silently took his place, holding onto Lucy's wrists tightly.

"Where's the necklace, sweetheart?" Klaus crouched down in front Elena. "Be honest."

"I'm telling the truth," Elena insisted. "Katherine stole it."

Klaus pressed his lips together. "Katerina, of course. Well, that's unfortunate. If we had the necklace it would make things a whole lot easier for your witch," he sighed as he straightened and started to walk over to the buzzer controls. "but, since we're doing this the hard way, let's put a clock on it, shall we?"

He tapped on some buttons; a buzzer sounded and the gym clock displayed twenty minutes. "Twenty minutes," he declared, walking back over to Stefan to compel him. "If Bonnie hasn't found a solution by then, I want you to feed again. Only this time, I want you to feed on Elena. You know you want to."

"No, Klaus! Don't do this to him!" Elena objected.

Klaus ripped Lucy out of Stefan's grasp and pushed her toward Rebekah. "I'll be taking Lucy with me in case she gets any ideas," he informed Elena and Stefan. "No one leaves. If she tries to run, fracture her spine."

-

"I thought you weren't going to kill Elena," Lucy stated flatly as Klaus pulled her through the hallway leading to the pool. "If Stefan drinks from her, she'll die."

"If Bonnie doesn't have the solution for my hybrids, it doesn't matter, does it?" Klaus raised his eyebrows at her. "Besides, I have a feeling Stefan's not going to give in that easily."

Lucy hummed and rolled her eyes.

"Jealous?" Klaus asked coyly; Lucy gave him a confused look. "I'm not an idiot. I know that you know I read the letters you sent him this summer."

"I was trying to keep him sane," Lucy huffed as they turned a corner. "You know, since you dragged him all over the country for no reason."

"Yes, I'm sure that's the reason, little sister."

Lucy was about to tell him to go to hell but he stopped in his tracks and abruptly turned to the pool lobby. He stopped, Lucy following his lead, and they waited as Bonnie and a soaking-wet Matt came out of the pool room.

"As soon as you're feeling better, I'm going to kill you," Bonnie warned him.

"It worked," Matt shook his head. "I saw her. I saw Vicki."

Lucy raised an eyebrow as Bonnie asked, "You did?"

Matt nodded. "She said she had a message for you."

"For me?"

"From the witch that put the hybrid curse on Klaus," Matt informed her. "She said that Elena shouldn't have survived Klaus' ritual. The hybrids can't transition because Elena's still alive."

Bonnie frowned, sadness darkening her emerald-green eyes. "Tyler..."

"He's going to die, isn't he?"

"I wouldn't be too sure about that," Klaus spoke up; Bonnie and Matt whipped around to face him and Lucy. "Given the choice, doppelganger or a hybrid, I go hybrid every time."

He grabbed Lucy's arm and started dragging her back to the gym.

"You're going to kill Elena, aren't you?"

"No."

"No?" she looked at him, confused. "But Matt said..."

"And the Original Witch—the one who put the curse on me—our mother, hated me," Klaus explained quickly. "She intended for the doppelganger to die in the ritual so I couldn't create my hybrids."

"Would Esther really do that?"

Klaus scoffed. "You died before she became who she really was," he told her. "She was a woman who cursed her children into the first vampires and then punished me for her adulterous transgressions."

Lucy blanched as they came to a stop outside of a biology lab. "Oh..."

"Go to Bekah, yeah?" Klaus nodded to the lab door. "I need to tend to your sister."

Lucy nodded and walked into the room, noticing that Tyler was laid out on a table with Caroline sitting vigil while Rebekah played with Caroline's phone.

"Lucy," Caroline gasped when she saw her best friend. "What's happening? Is Tyler going to be okay?"

"I think Klaus has figured it out," Lucy assured her, wrapping an arm around her. "We have to see, though. How's he doing?"

"He's not awake yet—"

Tyler, the drama queen he was, chose that second to loudly gasp awake. Caroline immediately rushed to him and cooed soothing noises as he looked around wildly.

"Where am I?" he asked anxiously, looking from Rebekah to Lucy. "What happened?"

Caroline furrowed her eyebrows. "Tyler..."

"Don't be shy about it," Rebekah spoke up.

Tyler looked at her wearily. "What's going on?"

"Klaus is turning you into a vampire," Caroline told him. "A hybrid. You're in transition."

While Tyler gaped at her in shock, Rebekah spoke again, "Don't leave out the hard part, sweets," she scolded Caroline before addressing Tyler, "You'll only survive if your witch is successful. If not, you're pretty much dead."

"Thanks for your help, Bekah," Lucy muttered and turned to Tyler. "You're going to be okay. I think they figured it out."

"I hope so," Rebekah held up Caroline's phone, a timer that matched the gym clock on the screen. There was only two minutes left. "Tick tock goes the gym clock."

Five minutes later, Klaus was walking into the lab, holding a vial of blood in his hand.

"Well, the verdict's in," he announced. "The Original Witch says the doppelganger should be dead."

Rebekah jumped to her feet in excitement. "Does that mean we can kill her?"

"No, I'm fairly certain it means the opposite," Klaus held the blood out to Tyler while Lucy sent Rebekah a death glare. Rebekah immediately grabbed Caroline, pulling her out of the way. "Call it a hunch..."

Tyler looked at the blood with wide, hungry eyes.

"Elena's blood...Drink it."

"No, Tyler, don't!" Caroline fought against Rebekah's grip.

"If he doesn't feed, he'll die anyway, Care," Lucy said quietly, going to her best friend's side.

"Consider this an experiment," Klaus added with a smirk.

Tyler took the test tube from Klaus and sucked it down. He immediately spat it out and fell to the floor, groaning in pain. Blood fell from his mouth and onto the floor as he writhed around, eventually rolling onto his knees. He screamed and held onto his head before looking up and snarling, his eyes golden and his teeth elongated into fangs.

Lucy sighed in relief while Caroline slumped, glad that her boyfriend wasn't going to die.

"Well," Klaus grinned. "That's a good sign."

-

"You really saw Vicki?" Lucy asked Matt as she helped him pick up his things around the weight room.

"Yeah..."

"Are you okay?" Lucy bit her lip and neatly folded his sweatshirt, placing it in his gym bag.

"Yes and no," Matt admitted, ducking his head. "I'm sad that's she's dead but I'm glad I get to say goodbye to her. Is that weird?"

"No, not really," Lucy grabbed his hand and pulled him down to sit on the bench next to her. "I think you're really lucky you get to say goodbye."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Lucy confirmed with a smile. "but I hope you don't put your life in danger like that again. Matt, you're the only one of us left that gets to have a normal life. You're one of my best friends and I don't want you to get sucked down with the rest of that. You deserve better."

Matt grinned shyly and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pecking her on the forehead. "Thanks, Luce. I get it."

Lucy smiled and knocked her forehead against his shoulder before standing up. "Do you wanna walk out together? I'm giving Bonnie a ride to my house."

"Nah," Matt shook his head. "I think I want to say goodbye."

"Okay," she gave him a reassuring look. "See you tomorrow."

"See ya."

Lucy walked out of the weight room and was halfway down the English hallway when she felt a presence walking behind her. She turned around but didn't see anyone.

"You and Matt looked pretty cozy."

Lucy gasped loudly and whipped around to face Stefan, shocked by the blank look in his eyes and the smirk on his lips.

"You scared me, Stefan."

"Oops," he rolled his eyes and when Lucy started walking again, he fell into step next to her. "So what's with you guys?"

"Who?" she side-eyed him. "Me and Matt?"

"No, you and the mailman."

"Nothing."

"Really? 'Cause I noticed some tension there," he commented. "I thought you were in love with me? Isn't it kind of bad that you're rebounding with your sister's ex-boyfriend?"

"Okay," Lucy stopped in her tracks and glared up at him. "What's with you? This—" she gestured at him. "this is not you."

"Ah!" Stefan smirked. "That would be my humanity switch, Lucy. It's been shut down."

"Excuse me?"

"Isn't it great?" he reached up and ran a finger down the apple of her cheek. "We're gonna have so much fun together."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.9K 2K 36
"I am not the kind of princess that needs saving. I'm probably not a princess at all. You can be the gallant prince all you want, that's fine. But, g...
1.1K 38 8
Elliott Gilbert is the adopted sister of Elena and Jeremy. When she returns home from her stay at a CRISIS Treatment Center, her siblings treat her l...
76K 1.5K 29
IN WHICH Jeremy Gilbert falls for the other Salvatore. TVD season 1-8 Jeremy X Fem OC Slow Burn! I only own my Oc!
35.2K 779 20
in which Oaklyn Gilbert starts to feel alive again, all because of a certain vampire. Damon Salvatore x OC TVD Season1-?