Witness

By hagreen6

When Emery Starr witnesses a crime, she is forced to uproot her entire life. Sure, she was shy and wasn't exa... More

1| There's No Place Like Home
2| Heart to Heart
3| Witness
4| Hospitals and Heros
5| Safety Plan
6| Motel
7| Hot and Cold
8| Identities and Information
9| Flight
10| New Normal
11| Coffee Bean
12| First Days
13| Just Breathe
14| Popcorn and Gummy Worms
15| Night owl (pt. 1)
16| Night Owl (pt. 2)
17| Regrets
18| Stuck
19| Just a Movie
20| Hold Me Steady
21| Pepperoni and Pineapple
22| Ladies Night
23| Trapped
24| They Know
25| It's Always Something (pt. 1)
26| It's Always Something (pt. 2)
27| Illusions
28| Twilight
29| Identify (pt. 1)
30| Identify (pt. 2)
31| The Nightmare Continues
32| Halloweekend (pt. 1)
33| Halloweekend (pt. 2)
34| Self-Defense
35| Unprofessional
36| Thanksgiving
37| Only Thunder
38| On the Ice
39| Christmas
40| New Years Eve (pt. 1)
41| New Years Eve (pt. 2)
42| Fallout
43| Stalked
44| Alarm
45| Scary Situations (pt. 1)
46| Scary Situations (pt. 2)
47| Aftermath
48| Jaxon
50| Leaving
51| Coping
52| Leap of Faith
53| You and I

49| Ghost Town

111 4 7
By hagreen6

Surprisingly, the next morning, I woke up feeling more content than I had in over a month, because I woke up in Jaxon's arms.

Not only that, but I couldn't stop replaying last night in my mind. Not the terrifying day, but the night... filled with passion and bliss.

I wasn't sure how or if the sex was going to change our relationship, but I could only imagine that any change would be for the better. I loved this man with all my heart; I just wished we could relish in it.

But unfortunately, because of the shooting, I knew we didn't have the time for that.

I was awake first, and I took the opportunity to study Jaxon's handsome face as he slept. It was rare that I was ever up before him, so I really hadn't ever had the opportunity to observe his features up close like this. Well, without him noticing at least.

His tan skin looked so smooth, though it looked like he hadn't shaved his face in a little while because his dark stubble was visible on the sharp angles of his jawline. His full lips were slightly parted as he breathed quietly and steadily. I ran my eyes up to look at his. With the striking beauty of his eye color hidden behind his eyelids, I noticed just how long his eyelashes actually were.

It wasn't fair really, how he had nicer lashes than me. Honestly, I just didn't think anyone deserved to look this handsome in general; let alone have a nice personality? It was a rare find indeed.

He looked peaceful as he slept, but I also noticed the dark circles under his eyes. He must have been exhausted too after the events as of late.

I wasn't sure what it was like to be a bodyguard, but I'd imagine it had to be up there as far as stressful jobs went. He was constantly on alert, constantly worrying, and I'm sure the worry only increased as his feelings for me grew.

God, did I love him.

I trailed my eyes up again, looking at the small scar that made him look intimidating, despite the fact that it didn't come with any cool backstory.

I should probably let him sleep, and yet...

I leaned forward, placing a light kiss on his scar. I had been wanting to do that all morning.

The corners of his lips twitched, and before I knew what was happening, he was wrapping his arms around me, crushing me to his warm, bare chest.

I giggled, snuggling into him, "Good morning."

"Morning, beautiful," he replied, his voice raspy with sleep. "Did you sleep okay?"

I nodded against his chest. "Surprisingly, yes. I haven't slept that good in a long time."

He placed a kiss against the top of my head. "That's good; I was worried you would have nightmares after what happened..."

"I was nervous too," I replied, "but I guess I just feel so safe with you, that my body knew it could relax."

"You are safe with me," he agreed.

"Do we need to get up?" I complained, "I would much rather stay in this bed with you all day."

"I wish we could," he sighed, "but we should probably get moving. I got a call from Chief this morning when you were sleeping, and I need to fill you in and then call him back. Besides, I'm sure Hannah is worried about you."

"Shit, Hannah," I groaned, "I texted her yesterday to let her know we were okay, but I forgot to tell her we were going to stay the night at Aarons."

"I'm sure she figured it out since lockdown was never lifted last night," he said. "Speaking of," he paused, sitting up a little so that he could grab his phone off the nightstand. "It was lifted at 3 AM. Classes are cancelled for the rest of the week though."

"Jax... I need to know something," I said. "Did... did Chief hear if anyone was killed yesterday?"

A part of me didn't want to know the answer, but the even larger part needed to know. I needed to know if it was random, or if the entire thing was my fault.

"No," Jax said, averting his gaze, "he's not sure yet of the casualties, if any. What he is sure of is that we need to get off this campus today, and soon."

I sat up straighter. "It's really bad isn't it..."

He sat up with me, and I watched the flex of his abs as the blanket fell away. "I'm going to keep you safe, baby. I promise."

I believed him, but the look in his eyes also made me feel like he was holding something back from me. Like he knew something I didn't.

Still, it seemed like now wasn't the time to press him. If chief told us to leave, then we needed to get moving.

I shifted, getting ready to push myself off the bed when I felt a searing pain in my elbow. I had forgotten about it until now, and the throbbing pain was returning with a vengeance.

I sucked in a breath, holding my arm to my chest.

"Are you okay?" Jax asked, scooting closer to me on the bed.

I nodded, "I forgot about my elbow. It really hurts today."

"Can I see it?" He asked, "I just want to make sure you don't need to go to a doctor."

I shook my head as I stood up. "It's fine. I don't want to go to a doctor."

He stood up too, moving so that he was standing directly in front of me. My eyes were level with his bare, muscular chest. It was really distracting.

"Em, let me see it," he ordered.

I knew when do argue and when to shut up- Jax was a stubborn man. So, I lifted my arm, allowing Jax to remove the bandage from yesterday.

"Fuck," he sighed. "It's really bruised. Do you have any numbness or tingling?"

I shook my head. "No- it's just sore. I don't think it's any more serious than just a bad hit and a bruise."

He ignored me as he continued to assess the damage. "How far can you extend it?"

I showed him, wincing when the pain set in. I couldn't straighten my arm, but it was probably just from the swelling. I would do anything to avoid going to the hospital. They just reminded me of the worst days of my life.

"I shouldn't have pushed you to the ground so hard..." Jax said, his voice almost a whisper.

"Don't go there; you did it to protect me. It may have been a lot worse if you hadn't. Besides, it'll heal."

He nodded. "You sure you're okay?"

I pulled my arm from his grasp. "Yes, I'm fine. I promise."

I wasn't sure he was really sold, but he dropped the issue, grabbing his t shirt and pulling it over his head. "We should get going then. Can you keep Aaron's sweatshirt on? I don't want you seen on our way back to the dorm, so you need to keep your hood up."

"I can ask- or if he's not up I can leave it with Blake to return for me later."

"Perfect," Jax said, grabbing my hand in his. "Follow me."

I held tight to his hand as we quietly exited Aaron's house. Jax was being extra cautious as we walked, keeping to the areas that had more buildings or trees and avoiding the open, grassy spaces.

Outwardly, he looked calm, but I knew him too well. I could see the tenseness of his shoulders and the way his eyes diligently scanned our surroundings. I could feel the way he tightened his grip on my hand whenever another person passed by us.

My heart was pounding. Campus was a ghost town today. There were not very many students out, and for good reason, but it just felt so eerie.

The weather wasn't helping, and the cool wind whipped my hair around despite the hood of Aaron's sweatshirt. An ominous storm cloud was blocking any direct sunlight, and I just prayed we would be back to the dorms in time to avoid the downpour.

It was sad really. Just yesterday morning I was telling Jax what a beautiful day it was and how much I enjoyed this campus... and now that easy, lighthearted feeling was stripped away. I was only left with anxiety, fear, and guilt.

"You're shaking," Jax commented, pulling me from my thoughts.

I shrugged. "I'm scared."

"It's okay, Em. Just keep holding on to me. We're almost there," he replied. A breeze whipped around us so hard it almost knocked my hood off, but Jax was quick to place his large, warm palm on my head  to prevent it from falling down.

"Thank you," I said, grabbing onto the hood with my own two hands. "What should I tell Hannah?"

"You should just tell her that after what we went through yesterday, we just need to get off of campus for a little while. You can also tell her we're back together and want some alone time. Tell her whatever you need to for her to let you go quickly."

I nodded. Hannah could be pushy, but I knew she would understand.

"And where are we going?" I pressed.

"I have no idea."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 489 37
Carolina York. Mikayla Lionoff. Lucy Maine. Vanessa Gray. Katherine Vicar. Molly Nichols. Alana May Criston. 7 people. All very different. All exact...
4.1K 139 58
Ashlyn Ross is a normal teenage girl -to the outside world that is. she has a secret identity and only her parents and trusted trainer knows. she's...
13K 544 32
We were walking straight into a fire knowing that we were the fuel. But we didn't burn. There was destruction and sacrifice that came with our lo...
7.8K 518 40
Mila witnessed her brother being killed by hunters and could do nothing to help him. Years later she has trained relentlessly to never feel helpless...