The Unknown Road

Per rachyrach39

Love is hard when it's one sided... For Tessa Granger, life is one complication after another as she battles... Més

Prologue - Matt
1 - Tessa
2 - Tessa
3 - Archie
4 - Archie
5 - Tessa
6 - Tessa
7 - Archie
8 - Tessa
9 - Archie
10 - Tessa
11 - Tessa
12 - Archie
13 - Tessa
14 - Archie
15 - Archie
16 - Tessa
17 - Archie
18 - Archie
19 - Tessa
20 - Archie
21 - Archie
22 - Tessa
23 - Tessa
24 - Archie
25 - Tessa
26 - Tessa
27 - Archie
28 - Archie
29 - Tessa
30 - Tessa
31 - Tessa
32 - Tessa
33 - Archie
34 - Tessa
35 - Archie
36 - Archie
37 - Tessa
38 - Tessa
39 - Tessa
40 - Archie
41 - Archie
42 - Archie
43 - Tessa
45 - Archie
46 - Archie
47 - Tessa
48 - Tessa
49 - Archie
50 - Archie
51 - Tessa
52 - Tessa
53 - Tessa
54 - Archie
55 - Archie
56 - Archie
57 - Tessa
58 - Tessa
59 - Tessa
60 - Archie
61 - Archie
62 - Tessa
63 - Archie
64 - Tessa
65 - Tessa
66 - Archie
67 - Archie
68 - Tessa
69 - Archie
70 - Tessa
Epilogue - Tessa

44 - Tessa

62 4 0
Per rachyrach39

I DON'T KNOW HOW long I'm sat with Archie before I feel a soft hand touch my shoulder.

Without looking up, I know it's Dad, and he doesn't make to move me as he kneels down to take a closer look at Archie.

He notes everything down in his book, making small notes after testing each bruise, each bone down his body, and I can see he's holding back tears as he finishes.

"It's bad, isn't it?" I ask, wiping my nose before kissing Archie's fingers.

He looks up at me and kisses the side of my head. When he pulls away, he nods reassuringly and stands again, heading over to where Matt is still standing with Millie. I hear him whisper something, but I don't want to know. I already know it's bad.

"Please come back to me," I whisper to Archie, whispering it directly into his ear so he can hear me. "Please."

Nothing. He doesn't move, he doesn't acknowledge me.

"Please come back to me, baby," I say again, kissing the side of his head. "I love you."

When I look up at the next noise, it's Dad again, and this time he's on the phone.

"Yes, two unconscious males. One is seventeen, other early fifties. An altercation, yes. The adult male went after and beat the younger male, who has extensive bruising, broken bones and some internal haemorrhaging."

Internal haemorrhaging? I look up at him, my eyes wide with fear, but all he does is touch a hand reassuringly to my shoulder.

"Archie. Yes, he's my daughter's boyfriend, and a very close friend to the family." He pauses as the paramedics on the other end ask him another question. "His father." Another pause. "Yes, that's correct. No... No, we weren't aware of it until my daughter mentioned it to me yesterday."

I was aware of it. I was aware of it a month ago... and it's making me feel sick that I could have prevented this if only I'd just opened my mouth sooner. If I'd just told my dad, Archie would be okay right now. He wouldn't be lying unconscious in a pool of his own blood. He wouldn't be holding onto life by a thread.

"How long will they be?" I hear Millie ask next to me. I hadn't realised she was sat next to me, and I'd barely registered her head on my shoulder.

Keeping a hold of Archie's hand, I put my other arm around her and hold her as she cries. As we both cry.

"Shouldn't be too much longer," I say, hoping that was right. Dad seemed calm enough, but I wouldn't feel any better until I saw Archie's beautiful smile again, or felt him move. Something. Anything.

Five minutes go by and I finally hear sirens, two sets of them. And a few minutes after that, two paramedics make their way over to Archie, just as Dad pulls me up gently, letting them do their thing. The paramedics are swiftly followed by two police officers, who go over to Richard, who has started to come to.

I pull my attention back to Archie as Richard looks my way, his mouth full of blood. He seems to be missing a front tooth, and as the police officers get him up on his feet, I swear he looks at Archie and laughs. The thought makes me sick to my stomach.

I look down, just as the paramedics cut open Archie's shirt, and both Millie and I gasp and look away, turning into each other. He has black bruises all over his stomach, one of them more black and protruding than the other, and I'm starting to think that's what Dad meant by internal haemorrhaging. The paramedic presses gently on it, and Archie flinches involuntarily, reacting to the pain. She immediately stops, nodding gravely towards her counterpart.

"Is he going to be okay?" I ask, knowing he won't be. She smiles up at me, but her smile doesn't touch her eyes, and it doesn't give me any hope, especially when she just looks straight back down. I sniff and wipe my nose on my sleeve as I feel my eyes burning with more tears.

"He'll be fine... but he needs to be checked over properly," the other paramedic says as he comes behind us with a backboard and neck brace. The sight of them freak me out, but again Dad doesn't seem so concerned, so I'm guessing - hoping - it's normal procedure at this point.

"What about him?" I ask, jerking my head towards Richard who had now left the room.

He looks up. "He'll be fine," he says with a little less enthusiasm.

"Okay on the count of three, we lift?" Paramedic one says, and the other one nods.

I tuck my arms into myself as I follow them out into the driveway where the ambulance is waiting and as Archie is walked past Richard, he looks up just as one of the police officers puts cuffs around his wrists and faces him.

"Richard Wall, I am arresting you on suspicion of assault with the intent to cause harm. You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. Do you understand?"

Richard simply looks up at the officer and nods.

"Do you understand?" The officer asks again, louder, clearly needing a verbal answer.

He nods again, but speaks up this time. "I do."

He walks past us, led by the officers, and as he passes us, he spits at us, dropping a large globule of blood-filled spit in Archie's direction. When I look up at meet his eyes, they're cold and unfeeling, not caring at all that his own son is lying unconscious. And definitely not showing any kind of remorse over what he'd just done.

"You're disgusting, you know that?" I shout at him.

"Tessa," Dad warns from next to me.

"What? No." I pull free of Dad's grip and walk towards Richard as he's walked to the police car, lights still flashing. "You are disgusting."

He does nothing but smile at me. If he wasn't being led away by police, I don't know what I would have done. I wanted to reach out and slap him, but somehow I didn't think that was the right thing to do. It wouldn't help me, and it certainly wouldn't help Archie. Plus, I didn't want to sink to his level. His level was full of low-lifes who deserved to rot in a jail cell for the rest of eternity for what they've done.

"I hope they give you everything you deserve in there," I spit at him, my voice breaking on the final word as I turn around and walk back to Dad. "I hope you rot in there!" I scream, tears flowing down my cheeks as he's pushed into the back seat of the car.

He continues to stare at me, but I have to look away. The sight of Richard is starting to make me feel sick, and I'm definitely glad he's being put behind bars. He won't be allowed near Archie again, or Millie and Wendy, and they could finally move on with their lives.

As the paramedics get Archie into the ambulance, I notice they've wrapped him in a blanket and have put an oxygen mask on him. They're just settling him and strapping the stretcher down when one of the paramedics stands at the door and addresses the three of us.

"Does anyone want to come with us?"

I look at Dad, as I really want to, but I realise it should be Millie that goes. She's his only family. And it actually made me wonder why Wendy hadn't shown up yet. Where was she?

"Mils, you go," I say, pushing her forward slightly, but she steps back again and tucks herself into Matt's arm.

She shakes her head as she puts her head into Matt's shoulder and I feel Dad pushing me forward slightly.

"We'll see you there, Tessa, okay."

I nod as I hug him, not needing to be told twice. "Thank you, Dad. Thank you."

He hugs me close and kisses the top of my head. "We'll be right behind you."

I jump up into the ambulance and take the seat next to Archie's head, but then I realise we hadn't found Archie's phone.

"Dad!" I shout just before the paramedics shut the doors. "Try and find Archie's phone."

He furrows his eyebrows but then gets what I mean. "Will do, we'll look for it. Tess, if he wakes up, don't let him answer any questions okay? Not until we get there."

I nod and the paramedic looks at me as if to ask if it was okay to shut the doors now. I nod back and he shuts the doors, the ambulance driving away minutes later.

"I'm here, Arch, okay. I'm here," I say to him, leaning my head on the stretcher next to him.

"You can hold his hand," the paramedic says.

"It won't hurt him?" I ask, unsure if moving anything would pull at something he was connected to. I didn't want him to hurt any more than he already did.

He shakes his head as he works around me, getting various packs ready as the driver pulls onto the main road.

I tuck my hands under the blankets and take hold of his hand. It's warm, and his fingers are soft and slightly sweaty. I take his hand in both of mine and kiss each of his fingers in turn, silently praying he'll come back to me sooner rather than later.

I look up, and I almost scream with happiness when I realise one of his eyes is open, or at least I thought it was. It's so swollen I could barely tell, but I saw something glisten and I smile as his fingers feebly grip mine, letting me know he's heard me, and that he knows I'm here.

I lean forward and kiss his forehead, looking into his eye. It's so bloodshot, all red and irritated, but I don't focus on that. I focus on the fact he's trying to give me a smile, even through all of this. He's trying to help me feel better.

He moves his lips, but nothing comes out. He's trying to say something, but I don't want him to strain himself when he didn't need to. There was plenty of time to talk later.

"Hey, I'm here okay. Don't try to speak, Arch. They think your jaw might be broken," I whisper, sniffing as a sob escapes me.

I put my other hand over my mouth, trying to hide my crying from him as best I can, but it doesn't work. His eyes close, a tear escaping, and I lean my forehead against his arm, using his warmth to try and pull myself together.

I feel his arm shift, and his fingers squeeze mine again, making me look up. I can barely see him though my tears.

"Thank... you," he rasps, barely audible, brushing his fingers against mine. He swallows, flinching with the pain and effort it's taking for him to do this. But then his words ring clearer.

"Thank you."

I smile up at him as his eyes close again, and when I feel him go unconscious again, his fingers no longer gripping my hand, I keep holding him.

I hold him until we arrive, letting him know that he no longer has to be alone.

And that he'll never be alone again. 

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

831K 24.5K 68
"He's lucky I let him live!" He kicks the chair he was sitting on, "I can't stand the thought of anyone hurting you." He takes slow steady steps towa...
The key to locked hearts Per Kyu

Literatura romàntica

51 4 8
He's a closed book, and she's forbidden from turning the pages. In a world where love is seen as a transaction and duty, two emotionally unavailable...
Facade Per Pollux

Literatura romàntica

271K 3.8K 42
Alejandra Martinez had the perfect life until she lost her mom and childhood to a violent tragedy that she witnessed. As a result, her dad fell into...
5.6K 311 104
After the death of Matt Granger, both Tessa and Archie feel more empty and alone than ever. Although both are trying to move on, meeting new people...