The Old Tuck Shop

By anaisbrimble

Finley Green's life has been nothing but one tragedy after the next. His mother's abandonment and years trapp... More

PROLOGUE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-FIVE
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-EIGHT
EPILOGUE

FIFTY-SEVEN

293 44 15
By anaisbrimble

Ton's words haunted me the entire night. He said I didn't have to make my mind up straight away, but he still said it. I wanted a fresh start, I wanted that. But that's what terrified me the most. I had left before, but was I ready to leave again? It would be selfish not to go with them, but it would also be selfish to stay. I had waited for years for a good family. And to have one with Ton was just a miracle. Maybe this was my chance for a new life. Maybe it was the right thing to do.

I turned to my left and saw Ton staring at me. I wrapped a blanket around me and sighed.

"Having second thoughts?" he whispered.

I nodded. "It 's just so sudden... I don't understand."

"I know... But even if it's only for a little while?... To see how it is?"

I sighed. "I don't know Ton... I just came back."

"Is there any harm in seeing what it's like?... I don't want to leave you again," he asked.

I turned to face the wall.

"Look, I'm worried about you, Finn-"

"Well, join the club. I'm worried about me, too," I scoffed.

"I just want you to be safe... Can't you see that?" he asked.

I didn't say anything. I threw a blanket over my head and tucked my legs into my chest.

"I know you're not asleep, Finn. And I can tell you're going to be up for a while... Just make sure you think about it," Ton sighed.

I nodded, and put my hands in my hoodie pocket. I couldn't sleep. It was all I could think about. I wanted to make Agatha, and Ton happy. But I also didn't want to say goodbye to Poppy, and Josh. My head was stuck. I needed to get away from it all, but I also didn't want it to end. For the whole of my life, I've done things to make other people happy, but I had to put my happiness first. If I was going to go, I would do it for me. And so I did.

"Ton?" I whispered.

"Yeah?" he replied.

"I'm going to go with you."

"Thank you," he said, before turning back around.

Maybe it was time for a change. Maybe I needed to think for myself for once. Maybe this was the right thing to do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

966 86 40
-For every heart who felt they didn't deserve love. Love is not just about words it is about everything. After an unforgettable heart-wrenching reenc...
3.7K 260 32
Catherine Spire is close enough to an average teenage girl. She is the captain of the varsity soccer team, she gets all A's and is in all honors clas...
115 1 63
Lifelong friends, Candy Dawson and Elmore Green, realize something the summer before their last year of high school: What they'd called their friends...
247 21 20
Poppy is a New York native, born, raised, and adoring of her life on the upper east side. Except for every summer when she's whisked off to a humble...