𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐂𝐀𝐍'𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐏...

By vintagerosepetal

'You can't help it this is just how we were taught to... More

foreword
a c t o n e
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
a c t t w o
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii*
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliv
xlv
xlvi
xlvii
xlviii
xlix
l
final word

xliii

12.6K 373 7
By vintagerosepetal

CHAPTER FORTY THREE | time is precious

An odd feeling rested in Lucie's stomach the next morning, their screaming match became a confession of love for each other.

Thomas has left early in the morning with Polly, leaving Lucie alone in his house. He had left her a note scribbled on the bed side cabinet, telling her to return to his house after her day. Which was filled with the task of buying Thomas and his siblings Christmas presents. Lucie has already purchased Esme's, her relatives and John's childrens presents.

She reluctantly pulled herself from the warmth of Thomas' house and left in search of Esme, so they could hunt for presents.

With Esme's and the children's presents in hand, Lucie left, locking the small door behind her. The cold air froze Lucie whilst she walked through the smog infested streets. Passing blinders smiled and greeted their bosses girlfriend.

Esme's home was surprisingly quiet, not even the shout of a child or their laughter. Once Lucie had entered she realised the children were with the Lee's for Christmas giving John and Esme a break.

"Esme! God it feels like forever since i last saw you." Lucie squealed, engulfing her best friend into a tight embrace.

"Right, sit down, we need a catch up!" Esme led Lucie into the small sitting room, leaving to make tea for her company.

Esme and Lucie sat in fits of giggles, sharing stories and secrets. Esme has revealed her short conversations with Thomas days prior.

"I told him, give you attention, tell you you're beautiful, so." Esme took a sip from her tea, "has he?"

"We has an argument yesterday." Lucie began.

"Right, that's it, I'm fucking killing him." Esme spat.

"No Esme." Lucie laughed, "We argued and then he told me.... he loves me."

Esme squealed and jumped for Lucie, giggling like a child on their birthday. She was elated for her best friend, after waiting so long. Thomas Shelby has a heart, somewhere.

"Right, Esme, time to open your present. I've got the kids ones with me too but just gave them, them on Christmas." Lucie smiled, revealing a brown paper present. She had already placed a bag filled with more under the tree.

Esme took the present and began to delicately untie the string. Removing the paper so it looked like new. Esme was in utter shock.

"Lucie, you haven't!" Esme laughed.

"I have."

"But Luce, I don't mean to be rude, you've got no money."

"Saved up."

"Yes but a fucking stable! Lucie that's worth hundreds." Esme sighed.

"Look, it's for you and John and the kids. Take it." Lucie smiled, pulling Esme into a hug.

"Right, ours is shit compared to that, but." Esme reached to her side to reveal to presents, both wrapped just like Lucie's.

Lucie was always grateful for anything she received, but Esme picked presents that meant so much more.

"Oh Esme!" Lucie sighed, looking down at her gift.

Four dresses, a blouse and three skirts. All the style and colours Lucie would've picked herself. Blues, greens, burgundy and a white silk blouse.

"John helped with that present, but this is a silly one from me." Esme laughed, pointing at the smaller present in Lucie's lap.

Lucie felt excitement bubble in her stomach, silly presents excited her. Something practical? Funny? Naughty? And inside joke? Questions swirled in Lucie's head as she opened the present, pacing herself to enjoy the anticipation.

It was black fabric, silk. Lucie picked it up and held it out to reveal a black silk slip, adorned with lace on the hems. Two more versions fell from inside of the slip. White and pink.

"Esme!" Lucie gasped.

"Just a little something, Luce. Have a little fun!" Esme laughed.

Lucie eventually convinced Esme to help purchase the last of her presents, much to her dismay. It was freezing and the snow settled on the cobbles under the girls feet.

The girls felt as through they'd walked for hours before they finally came across a small shop that seemed to house the perfect presents for John and Arthur.

"Right Esme, I'm getting a cigar for John, a moustache comb for Arthur and both of them whiskey, cigarettes and a new tie clip." Lucie announced, wandering around the small shop.

Esme found three cigarette tins and asked for them to be engraved with the siblings initials. She found Johns favourite cigar and sneakily purchased it so Lucie wouldn't need to spend her money.

"I need Michael's and Finn's presents."Lucie sighed as the pair walked out of the shop. "Please Esme, just a little while longer."

"Fine, I'm keeping away from the kids anyway." She laughed.

Lucie finally purchased the two boys presents. The same tie clip for Fin and Michael, to make them feel like a part of the boys. A frame for Finn, with the picture he drew as a child for Lucie. She got Michael a red tie, the colour he admired as a child.

Lucie broke it to Esme that she needed Thomas' presents too. Surprisingly, Esme was extremely willing. Thankfully. Lucie pulled Esme to one side and dug around in her handbag. She had already bought one of Thomas' gifts, and wanted to run in by Esme.

Lucie pulled out a small black box, encasing a golden pocket watch. It was something Lucie hoped he'd like. Esme's face displayed wonder when she held it.

"Luce, it's right up Thomas' street." Esme smiled.

"Turn it over." Lucie giggled.

Engraved on the back of the pocket watch was Tá am luachmhar, bain úsáid as go críonna

"What does it say." Esme questioned, utterly confused.

"Time is precious, use it wisely." Lucie smiled softly.

Esme handed back the watch, giving her praise as she did. The pair wondered the empty streets longer, attempting to find Thomas' presents.

"God, Esme, I've got no clue what to get him." Lucie sighed.

"Well, you've got him a watch and a cigarette tin." Esme smiled and nudged Lucie's arm, "And my present can be a little surprise for him." Lucie was in a fit of laughter.

The pair decided to call it a day, it had been a long while and John was home by now too. The two laughed their way to Esme's home.

"Come again soon, Luce. I miss you, and good luck with the presents." Esme smiled, hugging her friend tightly.

Lucie needed to sprint home quickly to wrap everything before Thomas came home. It was Christmas eve and she hadn't wrapped their presents yet. Everyone was letting at the Garrison to share gifts and have a Christmas drink, but Lucie wanted Thomas' done so she could gift them to him herself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

664K 22.3K 42
"Don't care if he's guilty, Don't care if he's not; He's good and he's bad, And he's all that I've got." She grew up watching them, fearing them. A...
2.6K 62 8
In which Lola Shelby learns that love has no bounds
498K 11K 29
When Thomas Shelby returns from war, he doesn't expect the nurse who stitched him up to be in his hometown. He didn't expect her to be Charlie Strong...
179K 5.6K 17
𝐂𝐎𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐒𝐄 | ❝ I'm with the Shelby's, you lot are always in trouble. ❞ ━ IN WHICH Sylvette Taylor returns home after nearly twe...