xiii

CHAPTER THIRTEEN | kimber

Lucie spent the night at Polly's, with a little Finn asleep on her chest. After they'd been to the sweet shop, Lucie read him a story which sent him to sleep. She decided to sleep too, so the pair were asleep for the night on the settee.

By the morning Finn was gone and the betting shop was in full swing. Lucie decided it best to just take off straight away, not wanting to disturb anyone today.

When Lucie arrived at the Garrison she saw someone she didn't want to see again. Kimber. Who promptly got out of the car to speak with the barmaid.

"Alright, Love, haven't seen you since the races. You should come down sometimes, could show you a great time." Kimber's voice sent shivers through Lucie, so she said the only thing she could think of.

"I'm no cheat Mr. Kimber, my boyfriend would not be happy to know I'd been to your home." Lucie saw the shock on Kimber's face.

"Who's this boyfriend then maybe me and him should have a talk." Kimber said, taking his cigar to his lips.

Right then, perfectly timed. Lucie had a saving angel. He came up behind her and help tight onto her waist, making them look cosy. Kimber's face curled in distaste.

"I'm her boyfriend mate, move along alright. Tommy'll be here to see you soon." A gruff voice spoke from beside Lucie.

Kimber just climbed back into his car, to await the arrival of Thomas. Lucie turned to her saving grace. Sending him a huge smile.

"Thank you, Arthur, if you hadn't have showed I'd be at his house tonight." Lucie whispered as the pair began to enter the pub.

"No worries, Love, saved you from his slimey grip, the least I could do. After all you've been here for me brothers ain't ya'." Arthur spoke, pressing a kiss to Lucie's head as he began to walk away, leaving the girl to begin her shift.

Lucie spent most her day serving the drunk men and steering clear of Grace. She didn't want any trouble.

Lucie was finished for the day by seven and just wanted to be at home, her birthday had been nothing exciting, no one had even remember it. Even though she told the Shelby boys yesterday.

She had already decided to nip in and say hello to Polly, maybe she remember her birthday. Probably not. The walk to Polly's was cold, and unwelcoming. The smog covered the houses, hiding them until they were phantoms of what was there.

Polly wasn't in the kitchen where she usually was, she was sat on her settee, seemingly awaiting Lucie's arrival. Lucie looked at the woman, who was looking back at Lucie.

"Hi Polly, thought I'd come say hi before I went home." Lucie moved to sit down beside Polly.

"Happy birthday, your presents from me, Finn, Arthur and John are in the bag on the table." Polly smiled.

"Thought everyone had forgot, no one has said it to me today." Lucie's heart warmed at the knowledge that the Shelby's remembered, well almost all of them. But did she really think Thomas would've remembered? Of course he wouldn't.

Lucie and Polly talked for a while, making plans to meet more often, the topic quickly changed to John's announcement yesterday. Lucie could tell Polly was holding something back, but Lucie never got it out of her. Soon the conversation moved onto Thomas and his shenanigans. Obviously.

"Tommy's employed Grace, you know, Arthur tells me she's digging her nose in Tommy's business." Polly had a sour look on her face as she spoke.

"That's what he gets, vile girl." Lucie spat.

"I heard about Cheltenham, what she told Tom. I'll kill her." Polly smiled at Lucie who giggled.

"I'm suspecting you'd like to know the story." Lucie said, analysing Polly's body language.

"You don't have to, Love." Polly said, taking a sip from her cup.

"It's okay, I want to get it off my chest." Lucie finished her cup and placed it on the table. She crossed her legs and looked down. Taking a long breath.

"Grace was down in Manchester when I was nineteen, Inspector Campbell too. Campbell wanted me to join his side with Grace and himself, 'The side of the angels' he called it. But I refused, and he wasn't happy. He wanted his way. I'll never forget. I'll never forget the words he said to me." Lucie fought back her tears as she remembered past events.

Lucie and Campbell were sat in the dark office that he occupied. Camped up behind a derelict workhouse. Lucie fidgeted under his hungry glare.

'Lucille, you'd be an asset to our mission. Smart girl like you. Wit-filled, intelligent, brave, pretty. You'd be helping us a lot.' Campbell's smoke from his pipe headed for Lucie.

'So pretty is a requirement for agents of The Crown now, Sir? It's a flattering offer but no. I don't work in secrecy. I especially don't work near those with a wandering hand to accompany their wandering gaze. If that's all I'll be leaving.'

Lucie used to be so confident.

The two guards from behind Lucie placed their hands on her shoulders keeping her down, disregarding her protests. Campbell moves in front of the girl, twirling a loose piece of raven hair round his finger.

'Now Miss Scott. You have two options; you can join us. Or everyone can know of the girl who threw herself at an inspector. Which will it be?' His accent was thick and laced with enjoyment.

Lucie spat at the man. His very words shook her bones. Although she always regretted spitting in his face. But he deserved it. She'd never forget what he said to her, before he ripped her pretty white dress.

'I wonder if you'll be as good as your mother.'

"He never did anything, you know, more." Lucie swallows thickly. "But he ripped my dress, and tried to. I kicked him where the sun doesn't shine and he never touched me again."

Polly's face had fury written all over it. However she sat and wiped the few tears that fell from Lucie's face. It took a while for Lucie to fully compose herself, but she did. And she felt better that she could share her story. Telling Polly was something she'd wanted to do for a while. Now she finally had.

Lucie told Polly to tell the boys thank you for the presents, she would be back tomorrow anyways to surprise Finn and take him out on her day off. Polly's embrace felt like something Lucie hadn't felt in a while, not since Tommy held her the day of Cheltenham. It felt different. Loving.