xlvii

CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN | blood and business

"Michael's in prison!" Polly announced, anger in her eyes.

Everyone had been sat in the back room awaiting her arrival. Lucie sat on the stairs out of the way. Finn and Esme stood side by side, John sat across from Thomas at the table.

"Business first, Pol." Thomas demanded quietly.

"They've taken Mich-." Polly tried, only to be interrupted by Thomas.

"Business first."

"They picked him up—."

"Polly, business first!" Thomas demanded, holding his hand out in front of Polly.

Polly stayed quiet, everyone did. Lucie didn't want to be involve in the Shelby business, she'd refused to come at first, but when Thomas told her Alfie had put Arthur in jail; she tagged along.

Lucie zoned out when John spoke of the Shelby business, she had no interest. However when Polly chirped up once more, she couldn't help but listen.

"I don't give a fuck about whiskey. I don't give a fuck about Billy Kitchen. I want my son out of prison now!" Polly slammed her hand onto the table in front of Thomas, causing Lucie to jump in fear.

"Thomas, I spoke to Johnny Dogs." Esme pitched, before being shut down by Polly.

"This meeting should just be family." Polly spat, those words never settled right with Lucie.

"I can help." Esme tried.

"It's family only! She'd not blood, Tom!" Polly argued.

"Enough!" Thomas roared, frightening Lucie and Finn.

If Thomas hadn't of stopped Polly's words, Lucie was ready to. She knew her and Esme were not blood related, but they were just as useful, and just as much family.

Lucie closed her book in the silence, the sound drew attention towards her. Polly looked irritated and Thomas look as if he was ready to pounce.

"I don't understand why I'm even here, I'm not blood, I'm not family. It seems like you, Pol, never want me to be family. Someone tell me when Arthur is free. Other than that, I'm not needed since I'm not blood." Lucie moved from the staircase and walked towards Finn.

"Come on, you can come with me." Lucie sighed.

"But I want to stay." Finn pled.

"Trust me, in five minutes you'd be wishing you came." Lucie rolled her eyes and Finn followed as she left the room.

Once Finn slammed the door shut, Thomas resumed. Fury laced in his eyes.

"All of this fucking family blood rights, does not apply any longer, Pol." Thomas sighed, "Doesn't fucking matter!"

Outside, Lucie waited until they were a considerable distance from Watery Lane before anyone began to speak. Surprisingly, Finn beat her to it.

"Can we go on a picnic, like we used to. For old times sake." Finn questioned shyly, fiddling with his plain, harmless peaked cap.

Lucie couldn't keep her excitement contained. She had missed the fun and freedom of picnics with John's children and little Finn. The years had flown by. Finn was taller than Lucie now, no longer Little Finn.

"Right Finn, I'll go and pick up some food from down the lane, will you sneak back in and grab my basket off the stairs, you can wait until they've finished if you'd like." Lucie smiled, sending the boy on his way.

Whilst Lucie slipped towards the shops for their picnic food, Finn presses his ear against the door into hell. Everything seemed to be quiet.

The door slowly creaked open, everyone's heads snapped towards Finn standing in the door way.

"Oh, so your back now are you? Come on the where is she?" Polly question.

"She just wanted her - er - basket. We're having a picnic at the cut." Finn stuttered whilst awkwardly walking towards the stairs, retrieving Lucie's basket.

"Tell her to be back by nine." Thomas sighed letting Finn walk away.

Finn jogged away from the house, he ran towards Lucie. She had bought all of the food, trying her best to carry it in her arms. Finn let Lucie topple all of the food into her basket.

The pair walked along the road, receiving smiles from most. Everyone admired Lucie, especially since she was just like them. And Finn, he was still merely a child.

Lucie and Finn sat on a small patch of grass, the basket between them. Lucie held a sandwich in her hands, Finn guzzling water. It was bright, the sun shone on the pair.

"So Finn." Lucie began, finishing off her sandwich. "How've you been then? Don't give me no Tommy 'I'm fine' shit."

"They treat me like I'm still that little boy in the car. But I'm not. I want to be treated like them. Like every other blinder." Finn scoffed.

Lucie has begun packing everything away, she hadn't yet replied to Finn's statement. The pair began to walk back from the cut.

"Finn. To me, you're still that little boy in the car. Not a blinder. I don't want you to be one of those." Lucie sighed.

"Look Tom'll want ya back soon enough Lucie, I'm going to check on Arthur." Finn began to run away from Lucie down the cobbled paths to Arthur's home.