xxviii

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT | he sounds better

Lucie was always a little mischievous when it came to having fun with Thomas. So now she was sat with the door to his office shut and his chair turned backwards.

She heard the door open and someone enter whilst letting out a drawn out sigh, ending with a guttural chuckle. She knew exactly who had entered. There was a moment of silence.

"Right, I think someone is in my chair." Thomas began walking towards the chair turned backwards.

Lucie could hear his footsteps getting louder and louder as he came closer to his desk. Lucie let out shallow breaths as she clamped her hand over her mouth.

As Thomas edged closer she let out quicker breaths, up until his footsteps were the loudest they had been.

"BOO!" Thomas shouted as he turned the chair around.

Only too see there was no one in it. Which to Lucie, who was hidden under his desk, made her almost explode with laughter.

Thomas straightened his suit and sat in his chair, facing away from Lucie. She could hear his incoherent mumbles, until he turned his chair back around, not even noticing Lucie under the desk.

She lifted herself slightly and poked her head out. Scaring the life out of Thomas. Lucie popped her head out and placed it onto his lap.

"Fuckin' hell, Lucie." Thomas shouted.

Lucie erupted with laughter whilst pushing her way out from under the desk. She sat herself in front of Thomas in his desk. Beaming down at him.

"So, why did you need me then Mr. Shelby." Lucie asked, batting her eyes innocently.

"I need you to get your mum to put in that word with Mr Solomon's, I'm siding with the Jews." Thomas pulled his chair closer to his desk and placed each hand on Lucie's thighs.

"Ask her yourself, or I will or something. We could go down to London together, mind you she doesn't know about us. Well whatever we are." Lucie looked down at her hands after the awkward tension she'd created.

"Well Miss. Scott I have one other matter to discuss." Thomas pulled Lucie straight off the desk and into his lap with a small yelp.

Lucie wrapped her arms round Tommy's neck and curled up against him, enjoying being enveloped in his scent. The pair just led silently together, enjoying each other's warmth.

"Be mine." Thomas whispered into Lucie's ear.

"I thought you'd never ask." Lucie smiled, turning her head to kiss Thomas.

Lucie and Thomas sat in his office for as long as they could. Smiling and giggling like teens in love. As they enjoyed each other's company Thomas explained how he would be going on 'holiday' to London. Which Lucie was not on board with, but was reluctant to destroy the bliss they sat in.

Lucie traced shapes onto Thomas' arm as they sat in silence.

"Please, be back by Sunday." Lucie pleaded quietly.

"I promise." Tommy took a drag from his cigarette.

Thomas finished his cigarette and placed his arm under Lucie's legs, swiftly lifting her up into his arm with a shout. He walked her straight out of his office and down the hall. Thankfully no one was upstairs in their way. With every step he gave her a kiss. Making her feel loved.

"Tom, where are we going?" Lucie giggled, throwing her head back.

"You'll see."

Lucie was dropped onto Thomas' bed with a loud laugh, smiling up at her boyfriend, who was lying above her. She smiled and sat up to place a small kiss on his lips.

Whilst the pair were upstairs, Polly, John, Esme and Arthur were all directly below in the kitchen, trying to have a conversation, which was repeatedly interrupted by their upstairs 'neighbors'.

"I never saw Lizzie come in." John stated to the group, referring to the pair upstairs.

Esme laughed lightly at John's stupid remark, Polly just rolled her eyes and brought her cigarette to her lips.

"What's so funny then?" John asked agitated by his wife.

Esme pushed her book onto the small table and crossed her legs, watching John intensely, seeing him become more and more confused and angry.

"Oh! Fuck, Luce!" A voice called out from upstairs.

The group burst into laughter after the tension was broken by Thomas upstairs.

"It's not Lizzie, John." Polly laughed.

The group at the table erupted with laughter and then carried on with the previous conversation, leaving the pair to it.

Upstairs, Lucie and Tommy were tangled together asleep, even though it was barely 5 in the afternoon.

Thomas had woken to see Lucie asleep on his chest, breathing softly. Thomas ran his finger through her long hair softly, twirling pieces around his finger. He admired her, the way her lips parted ever so slightly letting soft snores tumble from them.

Thomas lent down and placed a kiss on the top of her head before lifting her head up to remove himself from underneath her.

Thomas didn't know that half of his family were sat downstairs, discussing plans and work. Thomas wandered down the stairs in nothing but his trousers he'd stuck back on, surprising all those sat round the table.

"Alright, Tommy?" Esme stated, glancing up from her book, making everyone turn to see him.

"Fucking hell." Thomas sighed, looking at everyone's smirks.

"Right Tommy, lock your doors next time." John remarked.

"How long have you all been here, eh?" Thomas asked a little agitated.

Everyone stayed silent until Polly decided to tell him.

"Long enough." She stated, causing everyone to erupt with laughter. John and Arthur began to imitate Lucie from earlier, which caused Tommy to threaten them.

Lucie could hear faint noise down stairs, as she rubbed her eyes and pulled the covers closer to her she notice Thomas was not beside her. However she still smiled, he loves her. He really loves her, was all she could think about.

Lucie pulled on her black pleated skirt that had been tossed to the opposite side of the room, she found Thomas' shirt beside it, and decided to tuck that into her skirt. She looked at herself in the mirror, smiling at herself.

Lucie felt amazing. She grabbed a cigarette from Thomas' tin and lit it before leaving the bedroom swiftly. She bounced down the stairs whilst removing the cigarette from her lips.

"Tommy? Where'd you — Oh fuck." Lucie reached the bottom of the stairs to see everyone sat at the small table, holding back their laughs.

"So that's where your shirt went Tom." Polly added, sniggering whilst she tried to hold in her laugh.

Everyone just laughed quietly at the girl who was flushed red. She couldn't even look up, Esme stood up and grabbed her coat.

"Right Luce, lets go get a drink." Esme started, grabbing onto Lucie's hand and pulling her out the door.

"Well that's could've gone better." Lucie stated with a small giggle.

"Well, by what I could hear he sounds better than John." Esme laughed, linking arms with Lucie and walking their way down the street in the cold.