xlviii

CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT | kiss my arse

Lucie has stopped in Tommy's home office, reading through business contracts. Lucie had cleaned his desk and moved the old glasses to the kitchen.

She hadn't been away from his study long, until the phone rang. Lucie dried her hand on a rag whilst she jogged to the study. The phone was soon grasped in her hand after she dropped into Tommy's chair.

"You have an incoming call from The Ritz Hotel." The operator spoke.

"Put them through." Lucie chimed.

The phone rang twice in Lucie's ear before the voice began.

"Tommy?" Lucie knew exactly who it was. No mistake. "It's me."

Lucie stayed silent as the Irish woman spoke down the telephone. Lucie felt like she couldn't move, her breathing was shallow but barley audible.

"Tommy, can you hear me?" She questioned in a hushed voice.

"He's not here." Lucie spoke on an exhale.

There was a moment of silence shared on the phone call. Lucie waited in anticipation for Graces reply. While Grace tried to find her words.

"Lucille. Where's Tommy?" Grace's voice became quieter, a hint of cynicism dashed in.

Lucie left a pause, trying to figure out where Thomas actually was before replying. Although a lie would've entertained much more than the truth.

"Upstairs. In our room, waiting." Lucie had a small smirk placed on her lips.

"He's been trying to contact me you know Lucie. I even sent him a letter from New York." Grace spluttered.

"I know, I watched him burn it. Along with all the memories of you." Lucie whispered.

The door of Tommy's home swung open, whilst Lucie was on the phone. Tommy closed the door quietly behind him, walking down the corridor to his study where he could hear Lucie speaking quietly.

Tommy stood in the doorway of his office, lighting a cigarette, watching Lucie send him a small smile.

"What did you say?" Grace whispered.

"He burnt it, Grace." Lucie sighed, watching Tommy's face contort into disbelief.

Lucie beckoned him over. She watched him saunter slowly across the room, the cigarette ash falling to the floor.

"It's over Grace. You left, I stayed. Enjoy New York." Lucie passed the phone to Tommy, instructing him to stay quiet.

"Nothing has changed, Lucille. Don't you get it? I left, you stayed. Now I'm back, and Tommy can choose between us. Can't you see? You'll always be the barmaid. You'll always be the girl who threw herself at Kimber and Tommy Shelby's whore. That's all you are." Grace spat down the phone.

Lucie had kept her ear near the phone, hearing every word Grace had announced, along with Tommy.

"No Grace, Lucie's not my whore. You are. You still long to destroy us all, even when your married. It's a shame, Grace. A real shame." Tommy laughed down the phone.

"Tommy?" Grace gasped.

"So, Grace. You just listen now." Tommy cleared his throat and placed his hand over Lucie's, which rested on his shoulder.

"You can stay with you new rich husband, while I'll be upstairs with Lucie in our bed, content and happy. Happy that you aren't led beside me Grace. Don't call again." Tommy slammed the phone down into its holder.

"And I always thought Lizzie was the whore?" Lucie laughed heartily, Thomas laughing along with her.

Lucie and John were stood together in the square courtyard. Lucie felt uncertain and somewhat claustrophobic. All eyes were on the Blinder and Tommy's girl.

John has a cigar in his mouth, a suit around his body. The tie clip Lucie had given him for Christmas was on show too. Lucie pulled a cigarette from her lips, watching the smoke swirl in the air.

Arthur emerged from the door parallel to the pair. Two police officers beside him, chains connecting his hands and feet. Tattered clothes and the smell of dried blood followed him.

"Here he is. King of London town." John laughed, prompting Lucie to slap his arm.

"You been enjoying yourself." John asked with a smirk.

"Yes, it's been fucking great." Arthur spat.

"Well I've missed you Arthur. You have a lot to hear." Lucie laughed.

"Like what, Luce?" Arthur asked, a small smile on his face.

Lucie sighed and laughed, holding her cigarette tightly. Blowing the smoke from her lips.

"Oh, just, a lot." She smiled.

Lucie threw the cigarette butt, aiming for an officer. She was just short of hitting him with it.

"Oi! You do that again you're out." The officer shouted.

"Don't get your knickers in a twist, mate." Lucie laughed, shocking both Arthur and John.

Lucie smiled at their shocked faces. When the pair first met Lucie, she was quiet and sweet. Never wanted any trouble.

"I guess the Peaky Blinders have rubbed off on me." Lucie giggled.

"At least you're going to get what you've always wanted." John began,

"Eh?"

"Well you tried to hang yourself twice, now the King is gonna do it for you." John held back a laugh.

"Oh, John for fuck sake. Why've you got to be such an arsehole."

The officers took Arthur back, after John had told him that Tommy was going to get him free. Arthur had almost left before he turned back around, walking towards the pair.

"And you." Arthur whispered pointing at Lucie. "You tell Tommy he needs to blind Sabini's men."

"Why." Lucie whispered.

"The words, the fucking words. The talk of you Lucie. 'Tommy's bitch'll be ours' be careful." Arthur turned and walked back to the officers.

Lucie turned to John, her face showed how scared she was. She turned that fear into anger. She smiled and watched to officers emerge to show the pair out.

"Well John, I hope they know. Sabini and his men can kiss my arse." Lucie had made John laugh, the pair giggled their way out of the prison.