xviii

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN | we'll help each other

Lucie didn't want to return to the Garrison, not because it was the scene of the crime, but because she had a bad gut feeling. It was confirmed when she walked in.

"Harry? You alright?" Lucie jogged over to the man, who was lent with his head in his hands.

"Coppers, fucking coppers." Harry mumbled.

"What about them, Love?" Lucie was beginning to fear, what if they were coming for her? After all she did kill a man.

"That Inspector, got Tommy's guns, now he's in Digbeth coming for him." Harry threw his cloth onto the bar harshly.

Lucie could begin to process what Harry has told her, Campbell was coming for Thomas? The guns?

"Grace." Lucie has realised, Arthur must've said something. She didn't blame him, but she knew.

"Where's Grace?" Lucie questioned her breath laboured.

"Private room with Tommy." Harry said, harshly cleaning a glass, that screamed for him to let go.

The doors of the pub flew open, fear bubbled in Lucie, she thought they were here, here for Thomas. Would she even get to see him again? But it was not coppers, it was little Finn, out of breath and red in the face.

"Sweetheart! What you doing in here?" Lucie questioned running towards the boy and scooping him into her arms.

"Coppers.... Lane... Tommy." Finn was speaking as he tried to regain his breath.

Lucie knew what he was telling her, so she balled her fists and pummelled on the private room door to get Thomas attention. He opened it quickly, quick enough to rip it off its hinges.

"Coppers are in the Lane, Tommy, you need to go." Finn shouted.

"You need to go, Thomas." Grace placed her hand on Tommy's arm, regaining his attention.

Lucie had been keeping in a secret from Thomas and the Shelby's, only Ada knew. All the money she'd earned at her birthday, the money from her job, the share of the Garrison, and a little help from her parents. She'd bought a new house. Behind Watery Lane it wasn't much, and didn't cost a lot, but no one knew it was her home now.

"Come with me." Lucie had already let Finn wiggle out of her arms, so she grabbed hold of Thomas and ran.

Speeding off through back streets listening to coppers shouts from over the houses, running through the mud and smog, it felt like nothing Lucie had ever experienced. In Manchester it was fields of grass and clean air for miles.

Lucie slipped through back streets with Thomas on her tail, he never questioned where he was being taken, he just followed.

In the end they reached a house, small and quaint, tucked away behind larger rows of homes. It was a cottage, old but looked after. If the air was clean and sun shorn in Small Heath there would be a garden of flowers, not a plain patch of white snow.

"Well, are you going to stand like a lemon or will you come in?" Lucie laughed.

Thomas walked inside the strange unfamiliar home. He never even ventured to this section of Small Heath, if it was still where they were.

The room was small but homely, books strewn across the floor in small piles, an empty bookshelf beside the brick fire. One settee that directly faced the warmth and a small chair beside the bookshelf, a small wooden table accompanying it, along with a lamp, small but lively.