xl

CHAPTER FORTY | no sleep tonight

Lucie had told Thomas she would try his flat at nine that night. So, Thomas waited. He sat watching the door of his bedroom, hoping she would walk through. Wanting to tell her she's beautiful like Esme told him. Once his pocket watch hit nine she didn't come through the door.

It was half past nine and Lucie was untying her apron in a silent bar. Humming a melody her mother used to sing for her. She had debated whether or not to just leave at nine o clock, run and leap into Thomas' waiting arms. However, she thought he'd be too busy and forgotten what she'd told him. He hadn't.

It was silly, and she knew. He was probably to caught up in work he had taken home, or the cigarette that was no doubt in his mouth. Yet, Lucie still walked through the cobbles streets, the air nipping her skin the hid inside a light blue dress. Rain soon began to pour, small drops soon became larger. The black night was momentarily lit up by a stream of yellow, clapping as it appeared.

She hesitated. His door was right in front of her and she hesitated, just standing. Hair stuck to her face, her clothes clinging to her body tightly. The rain had soaked her to the bone. Water dripping from her hem.

It's reminded her of the day she met Thomas. Back in the old Garrison. The storm that she walked through, coatless and cold.

"Just take a deep breath." She spoke to herself, "And remember. Who the fuck you are."

She raised her fisted to the door, her body shivering under the harsh rain, jumping at the thunder that clapped.

"You can do this, you can do this."

She knocked three times, softly. Contemplating whether or not to turn her back now. Just run and not look back. She couldn't, she needed him. He was a breath of fresh air while she was drowning.

The lock clicked and the door handle turned slowly. Lucie's heart was racing. He whole body heating, the rain that hammered her body didn't cool her down.

There he was. Waistcoat undone, sleeves rolled up and a glass gripped tightly in his hand. Lucie lost her breath, she looked up to his eye. Those eyes, like a storm, all Lucie wanted to do was get lost in them.

"You're late." His voice was low as he kept eye contact with Lucie.

"Better late, than never." She spoke, her voice shaking.

"Well, you'd better come inside." Thomas moved from the doorway to let the shivering girl in.

Thomas led Lucie into a large room splashed in red. The fire was blaring beside a large vermilion lounger. Papers strewn across Thomas' desk, as they would look after a fit of rage.

Lucie sat with her back to the fire, hoping it would dry her hair. She was nervous. A no longer regular occurrence for Lucie. She hadn't been nervous of Thomas Shelby since Kimber died.

"I didn't think you would turn up. Though I'd, er, upset you." Thomas spoke, sitting down on the settee beside Lucie.

"Polly upset Thomas, I was irrationally when you spoke to me." Lucie sighed, moving piece of hair away from her face.

Thomas sighed and placed his drink on the table beside him. Standing up slowly, only to sit back down beside Lucie on the floor.

"I'm sorry." She whispered. Thomas wrapped an arm around her waist and brought her close to him, not caring about her wet hair or damp clothing.

"You have nothing to be sorry for." He replied softly, kissing the side of her head.

"But I do. I shouldn't have shouted like I did. It's just — God." Lucie sighed, letting her head fall. Her gaze piercing her lap.

"It's odd, if you had £100 yet you didn't know, you wouldn't want it. But if someone told you that the £100 had been taken and spent, you'd want it. I didn't know we had a child, now all I want is to have her back." Lucie felt tears prick the corners of her eyes.

"We can always try again. Luce, I can't image how you felt. But I'm here now." Thomas held her close. "She? Did you think she'd be a girl!"

"Well, I don't know it was jut an inkling." Lucie smiled softly.

"What would her have been then?" Thomas asked, trying to cheer Lucie up.

"Elizabeth. After Polly, since she helped me that day." Lucie sighed. "She would've had your eyes." Lucie smiled, turning to look at Thomas.

"She would've sang like an angel, taking after her mother." Thomas smiled. A rare smile, one you'll only come across once or twice in your life, Lucie was lucky enough to see it in Thomas.

"Dark hair and quick wit like her dad, probably a moody arsehole like you too." Lucie giggled, playfully pushing Thomas' arm.

"Luce, she would've been perfect. I promise you. If we ever have a child, we will be the best parents, I'll always be here for you." Thomas kissed Lucie's head once more.

"Thank you. Tommy. I really needed this." Lucie smiled.

"It's the horse auction tomorrow. You'll be right by my side the whole time." Thomas smiled.

"Right. Let's get you out of those wet cloth and go upstairs." Thomas began.

"Really?" Lucie smirked. "A little chat by the fire and now you think you can get me into my slip? Mr Shelby." Lucie laughed gasping dramatically.

"Luce, I plan on getting you straight out of it."

Thomas picked Lucie up in a bridal lift, listening to her giggle as the pair left towards Thomas bedroom.

Lucie was ecstatic when Thomas dropped her in the middle of the plush bed, much nicer that the one she had at home. Tommy hovered over her with a smile, leaning down to connect their lips.

It was a different kiss to one they'd ever shared, there was passion, yet caution. Lucie smiled into the kiss as Tommy trailed his hand further up her thigh, he elicited a soft gasp when he squeezed the smooth skin of her thigh.

"My Love, you'll get no sleep tonight."