A Guild of Moonlit Shadows (A...

By _Sibylline_

This is the second book in the Assassins at Dusk series by _Sibyline_, read Assassins at Dusk before reading... More

Prologue
~1~We both have Questions and Answers
~2~Blondie?
~4~Monsters take a Form
~5~The True Monster
~6~My Destiny is Mine alone to Make
~7~Standing Strong
Memes :)
~8~ What is its True Purpose?
~9~Your Life was always Mine.
~10~ Our Salvation or Damnation?
~11~There You Are...
AAD/GOMLS Memes & playlists cuz I promised to do them a while ago.
~12~Beyond Just You and Me
~13~Loyalty Unwavering
~14~Memories Woefully Untouched
~15~ Unfinished Business
~16~Kynareth is Growing Impatient.
~17~Murderers, Scoundrels, and Stubborn Feelings.
~18~ A New Hunt and Growing Plots
~19~ The Three Firenze Sisters
A Call for Home (Oneshot)
~20~Used and Abused
~21~Your Sister Needs You, Cynna
~22~Darker Minds are Easier to get Lost in
~23~ Let the Courtial Battle Begin
~24~ A Vicious Beast, Your Highness
~25~ Vanished Into Thin Air
~26~Cries Lost in the Wind
Act 2
memes & aesthetics cuz I feel bad
~1~Pinned Down and Manipulated
~2~ Losing Hope is for the Weak-Hearted
Other AAD series!
~3~The Old Kingdoms (+Q/A)
~4~Not a Kidnapping, but an Opportunity
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR MY AUTHORS.
~5~Lies, Questions, and Confusing Truths
I know im late a few days late, get off my ass
~6~Forgotten Bonds
I have an announcement!
7~Time to be Wicked, Youngling
~8~ Something in Common
~9~Our Family is Torn Again
Want to Become a Character? Here is your chance!
~10~ I was a Faceless Soldier
Our Homelands (100k Oneshot) PART 1
~11~ He Ran Away From Me
Our Homelands PART 2
~12~ One Hour
~13~ Allesandro's Secret
The Unlocked Review that I forgot to post... whoops.
~14~ A Traitorous Deal
~15~ The Gods Love their Pranks, Don't They?
~16~ The Smell of Metal and Incense
~17~ A Loose Tongue
~18~Taking the Lead
~19~ Bloody Fingerprints (+Sims Photos!)
~20~ Our Saviours
~21~ Time to Come Clean
You're Telling Yourself Lies, Mr. Ignis. (Oneshot)
~22~ Always in Chains
~23~ The Forgotten Assassin
~24~ Choices, Choices, Fitzroy
~25~ Bargaining chips and Casino chips
~26~ Not the Smoothest Exit
~27~ Voices in my Head
~28~ Six Artifacts, Three Portals, and One Assassin.
~29~ Water, Birds, Smoke, and Memories
~30~ Kynareth's Wrath
~31~ Summoner of Storms
~32~ If Not Blur, then Who?
~33~ The Veiled Spy
~34~ A Pre-Wedding Scuffle
~35~ An Uninvited Guest
~36~ A Muddled Family Secret
Vote here folks
~37~ Movement
~38~ Violence
~39~ Consequences
~40~ Delusions
~41~ Watching
~42~ Abandoned
The Next Book in the Series...

~3~The Old Republic and Saying Goodbye

2.4K 55 42
By _Sibylline_

Sophie held Lilac's cheeks in her hands, holding her sister securely as Lilac screeched in excitement. The three of them spoke in Inalian, all of them trying to calm the other down.

"Lilac, Lilac, look at me," Sophie turned Lilac's gaze to her own, holding Lilac's cheeks so tight that she looked like a fish.

"You say nothing-"

"I FRIECKIN MKNEW IT." Lilac cried even in Sophie's hands, her words distorted.

"Not a word!" Sophie shook her sister. Lilac's ombre eyes darted between Ruy and Sophie.

"Mknow I kno why you were so desperwate-" Sophie let go of her sister's cheeks and sighed, placing her hands on her hips. Ruy peeked out from behind Sophie, a dorky smile on his face.

"RUY!" Lilac exclaimed. Ruy welcomed Lilac with open arms, picking up the little girl and twirling her around.

"Long time, no see!" Ruy laughed as they hugged. Lilac's face grew suddenly stern, and she looked at both of them with her lip puckered out.

"So, how long has this been going on?" Lilac asked as Ruy put her down. Ruy and Sophie nervously met eyes.

"About a week, maybe a little longer?" Sophie mumbled. Lilac snickered and looked at Sophie teasingly.

"Maria is going to kill you for keeping it secret from her for so long." Lilac teased. Sophie held her young sister by her head of braided blond hair and turned Lilac's head to make the young girl stare at Sophie in the eyes.

"There are many reasons we are keeping this quiet, Lilac, and you need to promise me that you don't say a word."

"Why?"

"Well, we have a lot of enemies. And if they learn that we have, uhm, something going on-"

"That one thing to call it-" Ruy muttered before Sophie jammed her elbow into his ribs.

"It might not only put us in even more danger, but our family members. We are just trying to keep it on the down-low until things cool down a little bit." Sophie reasoned. Lilac huffed but nodded.

"Okay, if you say so. But, Biana and Keefe made contact with the guild through their imparters, somehow. They say you should come to talk to them."

Sophie bit her lip and looked at Ruy, who wrapped up his training supplies, a loose white shirt over his chest, preparing to join the conversation.

"I need a moment." Sophie decided. Both Ruy and Lilac went quiet, and Ruy was about to protest, but Sophie gave him a look.

"The King gave me an offer." Sophie sighed. Both Lilac and Ruy listened intently as Sophie explained her interaction with the king, Ruy grumbling when Sophie mentioned the King threatening her. When Sophie finished, Ruy was silent in thought, and poor Lilac tried to keep up but seemed entirely confused by the older concepts.

"Do it," Ruy said suddenly. Sophie looked at Ruy with a cocked eyebrow, her mouth slightly agape.

"But Ruy, the war front-"

"I'll ask Zuberi to speed up my training. I can return to the Guildhall and help Alexios and our troops." Ruy convinced. Sophie bit her lip and turned to her younger sister, tucking aside her sister's identical honey-blond hair.

"Lilac, can you go back to the guest chambers? Tell Biana and Keefe I'm sending Ruy instead."

"What?!" Ruy hissed.

"I need to finish my council with the king."

"I don't know if you remember Blondie, but your friends don't really like me that much-"

"I couldn't stand you when I first met you, yet here we are. Get over it. Lilac, go." Sophie said, crossing her arms. Her sister scampered away, still slightly squealing from her discovery. Sophie turned to Ruy with a stern face but soft eyes.

"And what about the Dunmer?"

"What about them?"

"Ruy, as much as you want to deny it, you are now a part of the Dunmer royalty, even if you are officially recognized or not. You may have grudges against your father, and I don't blame you for that, but you are the eldest son of King Dorian. People might expect you to side with the Dunmer-"

"But I am a loyally sworn Assassin, no matter what my status is-"

"That is true, as well. I will do this mission your father wants from me, it will help the possible alliance between the Dunmer and Vatarians. But, Ruy, think about what this could mean for them? You are one of the first half Dunmer-half Vatarian Assassin. Not only would you be valuable in the Peace Summits and meetings, but on the battlefield. But you also have a responsibility to our guild, you need to think through what you want to do. But it is no longer just you, me, and our guild. The Dunmer Kingdom is now a part of the equation, and whether you like it or not, you are a part of it."

Ruy was silent, divided on what he should do. Sophie delicately placed her hands on Ruy's jaws, her brown eyes soft. Ruy wrapped his large arms around Sophie's hips, holding her close.

"No matter what you choose, I will be by your side. Our family will stand with you, no matter what happens." Sophie whispered, holding his face delicately in her hands. Ruy turned his head and placed a soft kiss into the palm of her hand, and Sophie smiled, before turning to the castle and sighing.

"I will try to make it quick," Sophie turned back to Ruy, "I promise." Sophie sighed. Ruy pressed his head into the crook of her neck, breathing her in.

"I just got you back," Ruy whispered onto her flushed skin. Sophie leaned her head against his, enjoying the warmth of him. Sophie slid her arms under his and held onto his back, a sigh escaping her lips. Ruy looked into Sophie's eyes, his azure eyes glinting violet and silver, and smiled.

"You know, If you can't persuade the King into making an alliance, I'm sure if you just throw one of your knives at his head, he might be a bit easier to convince," Ruy suggested. Sophie chuckled in his arms, pressing his face away with her finger pressed onto his nose, pushing him back.

"Smartass," Sophie chuckled. Sophie pressed a small kiss into his cheek, and Ruy nodded, and the steely look returned to her eyes. The look of someone who has to set aside her worries and lover to ensure the success of a mission. Sophie turned on her heel and strode towards the castle, shaking out her complaints right before she swung open the doors and strided into the black castle.

The Guest Chambers, that is where Keefe, Biana, and Lilac were.

He had no time to sulk and wallow, he had decisions he had to make.

Decisions, Desicions, Decisions. It was all decisions.

Ruy wrapped his sore and aching body in his Dunmer clothing and set off to the guest chambers.

Queen Sarai POV

Sophie followed Queen Sarai, quiet as they weaved through the hallways of the castle. King Dorian and the Queen of the Assassins struck a deal. Sophie would sneak in and get as much information about the attack on the lost cities from Fintan and Elrond from their village in the Neutral territories. The King explained that the Lost cities were marching on not any normal Elven city, they were marching on Eternalia, the Elven capital. After Sophie got the information she needed, she kept the information on her person until the battle is over. She is allowed to go straight to the battle if it was happening. After that, she gives the information to her guild and updates them on the status. She then giver her information to the Dunmer along with updating the Vatarian Leaders about the movement of the Dunmer, about the current king. Along with informing them one of her most loyal Assassins being the eldest prince of the King. 

In return, the Dunmer become official allies with the Cyevan Assassin guild, providing their resources and information if needed. The Dunmer must also show up at the other meetings with the world leaders, no getting out of it. Along with a little snide comment from Sophie reminding the King that even though Ruy was the eldest son of the King, he was loyally sworn to her guild, and Ruy's first priority will be with their Assassins.

"Are you sure?" Sarai asked as they walked down the silent hallway.

"As much as I hate to say it, King Dorian is right. If we manage to get this information from Elrond and Fintan, we might be able to have an extreme advantage in the battle, not only having the element of surprise but also knowing their plans? We will hopefully end the battle before it even starts." Sophie sighed.

"Do you think you can get back in time, before the battle?"

"I can only hope."

"You are prepared, correct?"

"I am trained for these types of missions, especially infiltration missions. But I don't have that many tools anymore. My sword was destroyed a couple of days ago thanks to a skirmish with a Scylla. I don't really have any infiltration armor sets. I only have my riding leathers and helmet, a couple of throwing knives. I don't have any poisons-"

"Are you willing to use some older things?" Sarai asked suddenly.

Sophie watched Sarai with a cocked eyebrow, and Sarai gave Sophie a crooked smile. Sophie followed Sarai as she opened a large pair of ornate black doors, walking into a room that reminded Sophie a lot of a museum exhibition, lots of long rays of blueish light with significant cases of glass.

It was the items in the cases is that caught her attention.

Rows of ancient Cyevan Assassin robes and weapons, poisons, maps, and journals, all of it belonging to the years of the Cyevan Assassin's existence. Not only the Cyevan Assassins, who had their own massive area dedicated to them, but Sophie's knees went weak at it all, her arms going limp.

"Oh my gods, oh my gods," Sophie whimpered.

"I'm a pretty big fan of history, and though my husband isn't a fan of the Vatarians, I found their culture and history to be fascinating! So I-" Sarai slowly stopped talking as Sophie mindlessly explored the room, her mouth agape and her eyes bright. One case in the Inalian section made Sophie stop dad.

"IS THAT SPARTAN ARMOR?!" Sophie squealed.

"Yes. I have been looking for what the Spartans were, as I managed to find an old armor set and a few pieces of weaponry."

"The Spartans were a part of the Republic, or rather, the government that was in control before the Senate took over. They were Inalia's army and navy, their elite warriors under the command of the Republic. But when the Senate took over as the main form of the government, they slowly died out, and people stopped training to become one because the Senate saw them as an image of the Republic. They wanted their own words to be absolute. It was one of this biggest outrages, the loss of the Spartans. If you visit Inalia, you will be able to see statues of them all over the place! My father used to tell me stories about them, about their golden armor and double-sided spears. The roaring chants they would use to scare away their enemies. We still use those chants, only during Inalian wide games or events, but we cheer them to the sky, hoping that our Spartan warriors in Kynarath's realm can hear us still honoring them." Sophie explained dreamily.

The slightly mangled golden armor almost seemed to glow brighter, and Sarai could practically imagine a Spartan in her mind. Fierce wild hair, built like a rock with their voice a deep booming sound, sending any weak hearted men into a frenzy.

"My brother always dreamed of becoming one. The way he wears his hair was a traditional way Spartan male used to wear it as well. But," Sophie turned to the Cyevan part of Sarai's historical collection, where lines and cases were filled with her ancestor's weapons and armor.

"I always dreamed of one day becoming Mentore of the Assassins, taking over and fighting side by side with my father." Sophie let out a pathetic chuckle, "Well, I'm Mentore at least."

Sarai didn't know what to do with the darker mood, but Sophie smiled it off before she could say anything.

Sarai grew up in a relatively happy household. When she was little, her parents did divorce, but they were civil with one another and made things as smooth as possible for her. Her parents then married Sarai's step-parents, and Sarai was lucky enough to grow up with two amazing sets of parents. 

When she had her two boys with the love of her life, she promised herself that she would try her hardest to make sure they grew up in just as happy and healthy family as she did. And then, a year or two into their marriage, Dorian explained his trauma with his past lover, a Vatarian woman named Vespera, how she tricked him and stole their son right out from his arms. Sarai wondered what Vespera was like, how she could be so cruel to rob a man of his love and child like that, and if Ruy was the same way. Sarai just wanted one minute with Ruy, one minute to see what her stepson was like.

But, by the way Sophie spoke of him, Sarai knew he wasn't like his mother.

Sarai saw how Sophie talked about him, about his kindness and warmth, the way her eyes went distant as if recalling all memories she had with him. He was smart and wary, trained from birth from what Dorian had told her. He immediately refused to give any information to Dorian and was somehow able to resist his powers. 

Ruy didn't trust the Dunmer, Sarai knew that. But Sarai saw the two of them in the training arena, how Ruy swept her up in his arms and held her close, tears brimming his eyes. Dorian tried to come over, asking what she was looking at, but Sarai slammed the curtains shut and came up with some blubbering excuse.

Sophie ran her hand over the case holding her ancestor's clothing. Sarai had multiple collections of everyday Assassin armor, but she managed to find a couple of Mentore and leader pieces, and they were just a tad more extravagant than the others. They gave the impression of still being more powerful and authoritative, but always humble enough to still be one with their soldiers. Their weapons were stronger, their maps and strategy books were one of the most complex and beautiful things Sarai had ever seen, even if she couldn't understand Inalian. Sophie stopped right in front of one stand of armor.

"That's..." Sophie's words didn't work.

"I found that washed up in one of the rivers in the neutral territories years ago, I figured it belonged to one of the former Mentores of your guild," Sarai explained.

"It was my grandmothers." Sophie smiled.

"Really?!" Sarai gaped.

"A man named Vincenzo Espostita found out about my family's history of Assassins and raided my father's home when he was 19. He took my great uncle, along with my grandparents, and destroyed our barn with my aunt inside. My grandmother was my father's hero. Vincenzo took almost everything from our home, including all of our family's history. My father and his friends hid in the lower basement, which turned out to be holding all of our Assassins history and items. They escaped the basement and went to the safe house in Renisanca, but when they returned to their family house, the Esposita found even the basement and destroyed every piece of our family history that was in there, including my grandparent's armor. But, it seems, my grandmother's armor made it out." Sophie explained. Sarai smiled as Sophie rambled about her family's history, the young girl was obviously proud.

"Take it," Sarai said sweetly.

"Really?" Sophie asked, pulling away from the glass and turning to Sarai.

"It is yours, after all, they belong to your family." Sarai shrugged. Sophie's face lit up, her fangirling was absolutely adorable to Sarai. Sarai unlocked the cases for Sophie, allowing her to grab her grandmother's armor and weapons. Sarai watched Sophie examine her family's weapons, debating what she wanted to take, but Sarai's mind was elsewhere, her gaze drifting back to the Spartan armor.

"I wonder..." Sarai mumbled.

It was no secret that the Senate was corrupt in Inalia from what Sarai researched about them.

Is it possible the Republic could be restored?

"What are you wondering?" Sophie asked.

"Nothing you need to worry yourself with. You should probably get moving. You should get this mission done in a day, as fast as possible, we will have our men keep a close eye on both the Neverseen outside the Elven cities and any movements from your guild you may need to know about." Sarai said. Sophie nodded and thanked the Queen, and grabbed the crystal to get out of the Dunmer cavern from off the tables. Sophie gave Sarai one final look before entering one of the nearby broom closets to quickly change.

Queen Sarai eye's glazed over the Inalian history before her. Sarai also had rooms of history for the other Vatarian cities, and she grabbed her notebook from off her desk in the corner. Sarai walked through the Inalian room, making every single note she could about the Republic.

"Lysandra!" Sarai called out. Lysandra had a nasty habit of lingering around the halls, aimlessly walking, and Sarai noticed her on their walkover. Lysandra hurried in, wearing a dress that showed honestly too much of her. Lysandra's parents were always quite busy, and so Sarai and Lysandra have taken to talking with one another a lot. Lysandra dipped low in a dramatic bow, before slowly meeting Sarai's eyes.

"Yes, your majesty?" Lysandra asked.

"I need all the history books that can be found on Inalians, especially those that focus on predating the Senate. I also need ink and a pen or two, along with parchment. Could you also inform Miss Biana and Lilac, along with Mister Sencen, about Mentore Amalia's whereabouts?"

"Are you conducting another research study?" Lysandra asked.

"Something like that," Sarai admitted. Lysandra nodded and turned to leave, but Sarai called out for her.

"Oh, and, Lysandra? Put on something that actually keeps you warm. That dress is ridiculous." Sarai drawled. Lysandra smirked as she looked down at her revealing dress, and nodded, before rushing off the collect Sarai's things.

Sophie POV

Sophie pulled the black cowl over her nose and mouth. Sophie loved the guild with all of her heart, along with her team, who often completed missions together, but single stealth missions are where Sophie truly thrived. She didn't have to worry about anybody else's safety but her own, allowed to do her own plans, and stick to her own morals. That's how assassins always are in the end, they worked best alone. Sophie slid the hidden blade out from her wrist, observing her father's blade in her grandmother's armor with a calm and cold face. 

Her grandmother's armor was of all black, a thin skin-tight suit that Sophie luckily managed to fit just right into, covered with hardened black leather that looked like large scales that fitted into a chest plate and flared out around her waist. Atop one of her shoulders draped a cloak of pure blood red, a silver button securing the cape to her shoulder, the Morretti family crest pressed into the silver, the only indication of the Assassin guild, a suit of armor meant for stealth and anonymity. Sophie felt so powerful in this armor, her Pancras form roaring with power and thrill in her veins as she pulled over the hood.

 Her grandmother's sword was one of pure beauty and death, almost seemed like it belonged to a god or a queen of a faraway place. The hilt was pure gold, different plates of gold placed on top of one another with a bright blue jewel at the tip of the pommel. The long silver blade was a sheen silver with the gold continuing down a straight line down the middle of the blade, runes written into the lustrous silver. Sophie sent the slightest flicker of lightning down the blade, her hot electricity absorbing wonderfully to the blade, almost like it was forged for Sophie.

The sheath attached to Sophie's side, and the sword into the sheath, the only sound was the bite of metal as Sophie lid her grandmother's sword into the sheath on her back. Her grandmother's bow and quiver were carved of deep mahogany wood, silver decals running down the entire bow, the string taught and fire ready. Sophie wrapped the strap of her quiver over her shoulder, stringing the quiver full of silver-tipped arrows on her back, along with sliding the bow across her back as well. 

Sophie sighed as she fingered the teleport crystal Sarai gave her.

One day.

That was all the time she had to sacrifice for this mission.

"As pretty as this place is, it's time to get out of this hell hole," Sophie whispered to herself, holding the crystal to the light. A warm tingle of light overwhelmed Sophie, and Sophie felt her body leave the cold Dunmer cavern and form in the rays of the warm sun. The next thing Sophie knew, she opened her eyes in the same empty plain where they initially entered the Dunmer cavern. Ricin perked up from where he was relaxing on the soft grass. Ricin perked up as Sophie formed in front of him, a growl of happiness shrieking out of from his jaws. Sophie smiled wildly as Ricin came up and tackled her, hugging him tightly.

"Gods, I missed you!" Sophie laughed. She held Ricin's giant jaw in her hands, looking deep into his red eyes. Sophie eyed the giant saddle on his back and moved around to unbuckle it. Ricin made a sound of confusion, and Sophie met his eyes.

"We will come back to get it. You and I have a job to do." Sophie smiled. 

 Please remember to vote, comment, share, and follow!

Also, we have finals coming up soon, and I really need to ace them! It is super important, unfortunately. As you have figured out, the chapters are going to be posted a bit on the slower side until these stupid finals are over!

_Sibylline_

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.8K 705 41
Seven years. Short in Elvin time, perhaps, but it can change a life. Lives, even. Doubts and guilt, those inevitable feelings, drove Sophie away fro...
1.1M 46.3K 52
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
5.9K 66 7
A young woman slowly falls in love with General Grievous. (A Star Wars Fan Fiction) Contains adult content / sexual content. Also may contain grammar...
12K 580 14
in which Hyunjin finds a cute boy in a flower shop. === im a sucker for seungjin, deal with it. started: May 29, 2019 ended: May 18, 2020 *edited :)