𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐂𝐀𝐍'𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐏...

By vintagerosepetal

'You can't help it this is just how we were taught to... More

foreword
a c t o n e
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
a c t t w o
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii*
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
xliv
xlv
xlvi
xlvii
xlviii
xlix
l
final word

xxix

17.8K 438 43
By vintagerosepetal

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE | with love

Sitting at home alone is not fun. Thomas had been too busy with work these past few days, leaving Lucie extremely bored. It wasn't until Friday when she realised she had somewhere to go.

Ada had been sending her and Polly letters whilst she's been living in London. Always asking for one of them to come down and see her. Plus she had her address anyways.

Lucie had never been to London but she was excited to see Ada, it had been a long time since they'd last spoke in person. Lucie wore one of Thomas' shirts he'd left two days ago, paired with a burgundy skirt she'd borrowed from Polly.

Locking the door of her hidden home Lucie swiftly walked towards Polly's home. It was freezing outside, but Lucie enjoyed it. September to December was always her favourite time of year.

She couldn't hear the buzz of boys working in Polly's house when she entered, a sound she oddly missed. In fact it was silent. And Lucie didn't like it.

"Polly? You here? It's Lucie." She shouted through the empty home.

"Just us, Love." A gruff voice replied.

As Lucie entered the kitchen she saw Arthur sat with John, whiskeys in hand and cigarettes hanging from their lips.

"Shouldn't you two be at work?" Lucie giggled, taking a cigarette from John.

"We run the business." John smiled.

"Alright then." Lucie replied rolling her eyes. "Tell Polly I'm visiting Ada for the week, she wanted someone to see her, and Tom's been busy all week so I'll be back next Friday." Lucie began to walk away before Arthur spoke.

"Luce, he's upstairs, just tell him your going. Saves us a job." Arthur downed his whiskey and poured himself another.

Lucie sighed and began to walk up the stairs slowly. She wandered up to his study and peered in. He was sat in his chair with his head on his desk. Asleep. Lucie smiled and opened the door slowly, trying her best to be as quiet as possible.

She tiptoed over to his desk and found a piece of paper to leave a note for Thomas.

'Tommy,
I am leaving to see Ada, she's lonely and wants someone to talk to. I'll be back by the weeks end. I'll see my mum and dad to find out if Mr Solomon's will see you. I'll be taking the train, 7:15pm to Camden Town train station. If you have chance come see me before I leave.
Lucie x'

"Bye Tommy." Lucie kissed the top of his head and left the room quietly.

"Arthur, John? You still here?" Lucie asked, wandering into the kitchen.

John was sat alone at the table, cigarette in hand, smiling at Lucie. She grabbed her coat from the back of a chair and pulled her purse over her shoulder.

"I'll see you Friday, John." Lucie smiled and moved to give him a hug.

"No you won't, Love." John replied, standing to face Lucie.

"Why?" Lucie questioned very confused.

"I'm off to see the Lees. Esme wants to see them and all that." John laughed.

"Right well promise you'll come back then." Lucie giggled and hugged John tightly.

"Alright, Luce." John rolled his eyes and laughed.

"Shit." Lucie remarked looking up at the clock, "I've got to go or else I'm gonna be late."

Lucie waved to John and left Polly's house, speeding her way the the train station. Running on the cobbles in heels was not an easy task. However Lucie just about made it to the train station on time and intact.

Sitting on the train was the epitome of boredom. Lucie sat staring out of the window, watching the smog and thick air of Small Heath disappear, only to see the slightly clearing air of London.

"Can I sit here?" An Italian accent pulled Lucie from her daydream.

"Yes, yes of course." Lucie moved her purse so the man could sit down.

"Where are you coming for." He asked.

"Oh, er, Small Heath." Lucie replied, something felt off, she just wanted to get to Camden Town quickly.

"Ahh Small. Heath. Peaky Blinder territory. And now you are going to Camden Town Italian territory." The Italian replied.

Lucie felt like something was wrong, she could feel it in her stomach. The air was thick around her, and the Italian eventually stood up when the train stopped in London.

"Well tell your boyfriend, I hope he enjoys hospital, with love from Sabini." And then he left. Leaving Lucie confused and worried.

She had no way of contacting Thomas quickly enough. She'd promised Ada that they could spend a few days together. Maybe he wasn't really Sabini. Maybe Thomas was fine.

He wasn't.

When Lucie finally got of the train at Camden Town it was late. Lucie didn't really want to walk through the streets of Camden at night. But she had to get to Ada's house.

"Right, fucking hell. Erm 4.. 7. Oh right it's — jesus fuck." Lucie reached Adas home, the one Thomas had purchased for her. It was beautiful. Much nicer that Lucie's little cottage, which she could barely pay for anymore.

Lucie jogged up the stairs to Adas door and knocked four times. She could hear movement inside the home.

Ada answered the door, her hand behind her back. She looked tense. But when she saw Lucie she relaxed and smiled. A smile Lucie had missed.

"Lucie? The fuck are you doing here?" Ada asked, confused yet ecstatic.

"Bored out of my head up there, Ada. Missed you. I'm sure Polly and your brothers send their love." Lucie giggled and walked into Adas home.

"Well I haven't tided, I would've done if I'd have known you were coming." Ada moved to clear some clothes she'd been mending off the sofa.

"It's alright, I'd only like to stay for one night. I'll be seeing my parents tomorrow and I'm sure they'll let me stay." Lucie sat down beside Ada and hugged her tightly.

"Right well, I've got a spare room you can use it however long you like." Ada smiled.

The two sat and drank gin. Something Lucie had never tasted, but she loved it. Both of them did. They'd spent a while away from each other. Esme didn't get chance to come out often, too busy looking after the children. So it was a nice break for Lucie to have a friend to drink and talk with.

"So where you living now then, Luce? My old room? Tommy's Room?" Ada giggled and wiggles her eyes brows at Lucie.

"Soon it'll be nowhere. Ever since the Garrison burnt down I've been out of work. Thomas offered my a job, but back then I didn't want to get my hands dirty. So I didn't accept." Ada stared at Lucie, listening intently.

"I bought a cottage. All covered with vines and leaves, you wouldn't be able to see it if you didn't know it was there. But I can't pay for it any more. No heat. No lights. I just sleep there and then come to Polly's in a morning and eat her food. No one knows. Not even Tommy." Lucie rubbed her eyes with her hand and laughed quietly.

"Oh god, Lucie. I'm here in this big fucking house and you ain't even got one."

"It's okay. Esme said I can stay there whenever I like, found out my aunt lives in Small Heath too, so I can stay there." Lucie smiled and finished her drink.

"Thank you for the drinks, and the chat. I've really missed you, Ada, please come down soon. Even if it's just for the Garrison reopening. We all miss you." Lucie stood up and hugged Ada before walking up the stairs to her room.

Lucie flopped onto the bed and smiled. She'd missed Ada like crazy. It was nice to sit for a few hours and drink away their worries. Lucie had already decided to spend only a few days in London before heading back. She was still worried about Sabini's words.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 75 9
It was you from the moment we met. *SLOW UPDATES* I have no update schedule as my main priority at this time is college. Thank you for your support...
824K 22.1K 53
In which Thomas Shelby draws up an alliance between his family and that of his rival, not knowing that it's to have far more complications than he th...
26.5K 844 6
do i look like the kind of woman who dies? 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘂𝗿𝗿𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 peaky blinders: s1 tommy shelby x fem!oc time frame...
483K 9.5K 42
"She is kind, heart made of honey. He is reserved, the opposite of sunny. No one would ever think they would be together. But they are the moon and...