Shadows in the Trees: Book 1

By frickin_bats

Thousands of years ago, a powerful Fae witch created the cursed White Forest to protect the Sylph and Fae fro... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
Cast and Characters

Chapter 51

200 26 40
By frickin_bats

Rhiannon sat back on her heels, gaping at the destruction in front of her. Everything before Vess was dead, and the stench -- gods, it was unbearable. 

"What did you do?" Jaida whispered. 

The color had drained from her face. Rhiannon had no answer. She knew Vess was powerful, but she had never imagined that she was capable of this. She shuddered to think what her sister could do. Cerridwen sat up, observing the catastrophe. 

"She has unleashed a monster." 

"All of you are monsters," Jaida hissed. "We never should have trusted you!" 

Cerridwen shook her head sadly. She murmured to herself, but Rhiannon couldn't make out what she was saying. She peeked back over the log, expecting Vess to be storming back to her. She finally found her in the gloom, crouched in the mud. She crept out from behind their cover, her steps soft and hesitant. 

"What are you doing?" Jaida whispered. 

Rhiannon ignored her. She approached Vess as quietly as she could, though the mud made that a difficult task. Vess was weeping softly. 

"Vess?" Rhiannon said, reaching to put a hand on her back. 

"Do not touch me!" she cried, holding up her hand. "Please, just stay away." 

Rhiannon squatted down next to her. The carnage was even worse up close, piles of blackened dust everywhere.

She let her cry for a while before she spoke. "It's alright." 

"It is not alright!" Vess sobbed. "I should not exist. I wish that I could -- " she stopped herself. 

"You saved us, Vess. You did what I asked. If this is anyone's fault, it's mine." 

Vess sniffled. "Where is Jubil?" 

"Unconscious. I left him with Julian." 

"Unconscious? Is he alright?" Vess said. 

She rushed to Jubil, and Rhiannon stumbled after her in the dark. The tree he was under was spared from her power. Julian was patting at his torso while Jubil swatted his hand away, muttering incoherently. 

"Jubil!" Vess cried, falling to her knees beside him. "Cerridwen, bring a torch!" 

"I'm alright," he grumbled, pushing Julian off and sitting up. 

When he saw Rhiannon approaching, he stumbled to his feet. 

"You!" he said, storming towards her. 

Before she could blink he had his hand around her neck. He spun her around and slammed her against the tree. Rhiannon kicked her feet, finding only air underneath them. 

Rhiannon clawed at his arm, struggling for breath. "Please," she whimpered. "I didn't --"

"I know you were behind this! This imbecile is not intelligent enough to attack me of his own accord." 

"Or," Julian said under his breath. "Am I just stupid enough to attack something so powerful?" 

"Stop!" Jaida said, running up with Cerridwen. She pulled a knife from somewhere on her thigh and held it to Jubil's neck. "Put her down!" 

His laugh was cruel and sharp. "You really think you can kill me?" 

"Stop! Stop this at once!" Cerridwen cried. "What are you doing? We will never succeed in defeating Roltandre if we kill ourselves first!" 

Everyone froze for a moment, shocked by Cerridwen's outburst. She panted, seeming surprised herself. 

"Please, everyone just put everything down," she whispered, tears slipping down her cheeks. 

Jubil sighed and dropped Rhiannon unceremoniously. She collapsed in front of him, choking and wheezing. Jaida fell to her knees beside to her and rubbed her back. 

"What you did," Jubil said once she had recovered her breath, "was incredibly foolish." 

Rhiannon cleared her throat, but her voice was still raspy when she spoke. "What's foolish is suppressing our best weapon." 

He blinked. "Did you not see what she did? What she can do? She could have killed us all!" 

"Roltandre is going to kill us all if Vess is not strong enough to defeat her." 

"It is too much of a risk," Jubil insisted. 

"So you are willing to risk that Vess will be strong enough, despite hardly using her powers? I bet Roltandre doesn't have anyone holding her back! Do you really think she stands a chance against Roltandre at her full strength?" 

"I will be strong enough," Vess said. 

"How can you possibly know that?" Jaida said. 

"She just leveled an entire bog!" Julian said. "What more do you want?" 

"And Roltandre is raising people from the dead," Rhiannon shot back. "Who knows what else she is capable of?" 

"Enough," Vess snapped. "Just because Jubil keeps my power under control does not mean I do not know how to use it." 

"It doesn't mean you do, either," Jaida said, crossing her arms. 

"I could control it enough to kill everything except you," Vess said. 

There was silence. 

Rhiannon's stomach dropped as she thought of what could have happened. She wanted to test the limits of Vess's power to see what she was dealing with, but it hadn't crossed her mind that she would be unable to control them. She seemed so powerful to Rhiannon, a mere human. Beyond that, Vess had a tough exterior, and she always seemed to be in control. She realized that she may have overestimated her.

If that was true, then things were more grim than she thought. But she had already put all of her stakes on Vess. It's not like she had any other options, with Roltandre backing Venira. 

She decided to make the best of what she had. 

"Very well," Rhiannon said, breaking the quiet. "On to Thrael. We should reach Zephyrine by morning." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pale fingers of dawn reached across the sky just as they reached the tall walls of Thrael's capital, Zephyrine. The light sparkled on the dew that laced the grass, cutting through the early morning chill. 

As they approached a horn sounded. Bells rang frantically, and shouts could be heard from the tops of the walls. 

The gate opened, releasing five riders on horseback. Rhiannon took the opportunity to study them closely as they approached. She had always been fascinated with the matriarchal Thraelians, but as they were a very private people, she had never seen them in the flesh. 

Each rider had leather and metal armor. It was simple, but beautiful -- the craftsmanship was impeccable. Each woman had several long braids pouring out of their helmets and trailing down their backs.

The riders circled their tattered party, the horses kicking up dust and grass. Rhiannon took a deep breath and squared her shoulders, doing her best to make eye contact with the warriors as the horses slowed. Three had their weapons drawn, apparently spooked by the tall, hooded figures with the dirty, forlorn humans. 

One of the warriors ripped her helmet off suddenly. Her black braids, streaked with gray, tumbled around her shoulders. So many emotions were playing across her face it was hard for Rhiannon to read her.

Jaida stepped towards the woman. Rhiannon noticed her hands were trembling just the tiniest bit. 

"Mother," she said. "I have come home." 

The woman's lips moved, but no sound came out. She dismounted and stumbled toward Jaida, knocking her back with her embrace. They sank to their knees, their muffled sobs echoing across the circle. 

Finally, they pulled back, wiping each other's tears and smoothing each other's hair. "I thought I would never see you again," her mother said, smiling so wide Rhiannon thought it must be painful. 

"I didn't think so either," Jaida said, smiling back. "I've missed you, Mother." 

Rhiannon tried to stifle the pang of jealousy that rose within her. She had never met her mother. She had always wondered what it would be like to have one, or just to have family that seemed to care so much. She wondered how Jaida could have ever left this behind.

Jaida's mother noticed her sharp stare and seemed to come back to her senses. Her smile fell as she observed her daughter's strange band of companions. When she saw Julian, her eyes widened slightly. 

"Jaida," she said. "Who are your friends?" 

"I don't know that I would call them friends," Jaida said. The joke fell flat. She cleared her throat. "Well, Mother, you aren't going to like this. But we are here to warn you." 

"Warn us?"

Jaida nodded. "I'm sure you have heard of a strange creature leading armies made up of several nations north." 

"The Grezians claim a demon has risen to take their souls or some such nonsense, and I have heard rumors that Queen Cordelia of Elohine is somehow . . . back," she said. "But we have been wary to believe such claims." 

"I know it sounds impossible, but it's true. Well, not that Grezian rubbish, but. . .Mother, have you ever heard of Sylph?" 

Her mother frowned and shook her head. 

"They were monsters -- um, creatures, from very long ago. One of the creatures Malachai claimed to drive out." Her mother sneered at the name of the prophet, and the horses shifted nervously. "I know we don't believe in that, but not all of it is a lie. Sylph are real, Mother. They survived. And one has decided to take our world for herself."

"Herself?" her mother said, quirking an eyebrow. "And how could we possibly stop a creature of such mythic proportions?"

Jaida swallowed. "Well. We have one of our own. Three, actually." 

All eyes went to the three hooded figures behind her. The Sylph pulled back their hoods. There were audible gasps. One warrior loaded her crossbow and balanced it on her shoulder. 

"Easy, easy!" Jaida raising her hands. "Look, I know this is a lot to take in -- "

"A lot to take in?" her mother scoffed. 

Cerridwen stumbled forward. "Please. We have nowhere else to go." 

Jaida's mother seemed shocked that the strange creature before her could speak the common tongue. The warriors were taken aback as well, exchanging panicked glances. 

"She's right. Roltandre -- the creature -- she has already bribed or conquered Khepri and Elohine. Greze would kill any of us on the spot. And Tole has refused to help. You're our last hope." 

She frowned. "It seems we are." 

"Will you turn our backs on us? On me?" Jaida pleaded. 

"You can't ask your mother to take in three -- three -- whatever they are," one of the warriors on horseback protested. "Tabitha, I know she is your daughter, but -- "

"This could be a serious threat to Thrael, Adrestia," Tabitha said. "We should take it to the council." 

"I agree," another warrior said. "This is a decision for the council." 

"And what should we do with them in the meantime, eh?" Adrestia said, throwing up her hands. "Let these creatures that we've never seen before, that we have no idea what they could be capable of, into our city, when we never let anyone into our cities -- "

"We can restrain them," Jaida said. 

"What?" Vess said. Cerridwen shushed her and spoke soothingly in their tongue. 

"We can restrain them, and I will personally vouch for them. On my honor," Jaida said. 

This seemed to give the warriors pause. 

"On your honor," Tabitha said. "Adrestia, restrain our guests." 

The warriors led them solemnly through the gates, the bound Sylph in the middle of the party. Tall, reinforced wooden doors slammed shut behind them. Rhiannon noticed that Cerridwen jumped at the sound.

"Wow," Julian breathed. 

The city was beautiful, crowded with buildings of limestone and timber. Gardens seemed to cover every surface -- roofs, balconies, lining the pathways. They came to a square with a large fountain in the center, the clear water sparkling in the morning sun. Women were washing clothes and talking while children played around them, splashing in the puddles. The water trickled down into a grate below the fountain. Rhiannon frowned, wondering how sophisticated their water systems were. 

On the other side of the square was a large building with ornate frescoes and a domed roof. Rhiannon raised an eyebrow, impressed. 

The warriors dismounted from their horses and tied them to a hitching rail outside. They climbed the steps, but Tabitha stopped them just before the doors. 

"I almost forgot -- males are not allowed inside the council hall," Tabitha said. "You will have to wait outside, young man." 

Everyone turned to look at Julian. "What?" 

"I'm sorry, but those are the rules. Adrestia will keep you company," Tabitha said. Adrestia scowled but didn't complain. 

"But Jubil is a boy!" he protested, crossing his arms. 

The Thraelians exchanged glances. "Who?" 

"Him! The Sylph!" Julian said, pointing. 

Tabitha paused a moment before answering. "We need him for questioning. Adrestia, wait outside with him." 

Julian gaped. "Rhiannon! Do something!" 

"I'll fill you in later," she whispered, following Tabitha inside. "I'm sorry."

She led them through a short hall that opened up into a large room with a domed ceiling. The circular floor was inlaid with colorful tiles, arranged in understated designs. The center floor was ringed with benches and desks built into the walls, like an amphitheater. Women in red robes filled the stands, listening to another woman in red in the center of the floor speak about taxes. 

The woman's speech was cut short by their entrance. 

"Tabitha," she said. "I thought you were on patrol today?" 

"I am," she said. "But the council must make an emergency decision. Ring the bell, everyone must be present." 

"And what is the nature of this emergency decision?" 

Tabitha pulled the Sylph's hoods down. The council chamber filled with gasps and murmurs, even a few screams. 

"They are not here to hurt you," Jaida said. "They're here to help." 

"Jaida?" a councilwoman called, standing up. 

Jaida gasped. "Thalia? You're on the council now?" 

"Mother, what is the meaning of this?" Thalia cried, looking to Tabitha.

"Order, order!" Tabitha called until the room was mostly silent. "Orla, ring the bell." 

She sighed. "So you weren't being dramatic. A pity." 

She turned and left the chamber, her argument on taxes forgotten. Tabitha followed. She was back quickly, dressed in the same red robes as the other women. 

A bell tolled, and Orla returned as well. Over the next several minutes, women trickled in, hurriedly putting on their robes and taking their places in the stands. 

"I motion to call this meeting to order," Tabitha rang out. 

"I second that motion," a voice rang out. Other voices added their assent. 

"Alright, explain these monstrosities," Orla said. She scowled at the Sylph, though she was as far from them as she could possibly be in the circular floor. "And the apparent resurrection of your daughter." 

"This is Jaida's story to tell," Tabitha said, addressing the crowd rather than Orla. "My second eldest was in training to be a Commander when she went missing during a reconnaissance mission gone wrong. It was believed that she had been sold into slavery and likely killed. Efforts were made to go back and find her, or her remains, to no avail. 

"Today, she returned with a warning and these three creatures, who she has vouched for with her honor." Murmurs spread through the seats. "She tells of a great threat to Thrael, and I think we should listen." 

Tabitha turned and nodded to Jaida, motioning for her to step forward. She swallowed and cleared her throat awkwardly. 

"Hello," she said. "Some of you may remember me as the daughter of the great Tabitha. And I am." She took a shuddering breath. "What she says is true. I was captured during my final mission before I was to be assigned a Commander to shadow. I was sold into slavery and sent to work in the palace as a handmaiden to Princess Rhiannon of Khepri," she said, gesturing to her. Rhiannon nodded. 

"A couple months ago, her sister, Venira, ousted her and attempted to kill her. The princess and I managed to escape into the White Forest.

"In the Forest we were captured by Sylph," she said, raising her voice to speak over the growing chatter. "And told of a Sylph with incredible power -- the power of life. A power that could only be defeated by her twin, who has the power of -- "

"Stop this heresy at once!" a councilwoman cried, standing and pumping her fist. Other women echoed her. 

"She lies!" another yelled. 

"Then how do you explain these creatures before us?" Thalia said, standing to be heard over the chaos. "How do you explain the rumors of Queen Cordelia?" The council quieted. "Though we declare ourselves to be secular, there are things in this world we cannot explain. Even we know there is something wrong with the White Forest. It is no stretch to say that creatures were here before us, and that they now live in the Forest." 

"Necromancy is magic," another woman argued. "And magic is lies." 

"Seeing is believing, no?" Rhiannon said. Hundreds of eyes focused on her. "Why not give her a chance to prove her power? Then you can see for yourself that it isn't lies." 

"Absolutely not!" Orla said. "We will not let this creature unleash whatever unknown powers she may have." 

"Then how should they gain our trust?" someone said. Other voices chimed in with agreement. 

"They should already have your trust," Jaida said. The room quieted. "These creatures are stronger and faster than any human. They could have overpowered the small force that brought them in, but they didn't. They are here to warn you of a far greater danger.

"This other Sylph, Roltandre, she has already taken Elohine and Khepri. She is marching their armies north to take the rest of the continent, including Thrael." 

"She won't be able to keep that army together for long," Tabitha scoffed.

"She's right," another woman said. "Khepri and Elohine hate each other." 

"Roltandre has given each leader what they wanted most," Rhiannon said. "They will put their differences aside, especially when tempted with immortality. Their soldiers will do the same." 

"Have there been reports of armies marching north?" Thalia asked. 

"None," Orla said. 

"But we haven't had many scouting missions recently," Tabitha countered. 

Conversation broke out again, voices clamoring over each other. 

"Enough! Enough," Orla said. "I move to bring this debate to the floor." 

"I second!" a woman called. 

Tabitha sighed. "This could take awhile," she murmured to Jaida. "Take everyone back to our villa." 

"And the Sylph?"

"The Sylph, and Jaida, must stay," Orla said. "We need them to answer questions." 

"Take the princess and the prince, then. Come straight back." 

"Yes Mother," Jaida said. She nodded to Rhiannon, who followed her out. 

While they were in the chamber, the sun had climbed in the sky. Rhiannon blinked in the harsh light, coming to focus on Julian slouched on the stairs. 

He looked like a kicked puppy, his chin resting in his hands. Adrestia stood close by. 

"C'mon," Jaida said. 

Julian looked up. "We're leaving?" 

"I'm taking you to my mother's villa," Jaida said. "You can rest there while the council decides. Adrestia, you can probably return to watch." 

She quirked an eyebrow, her distrust of Jaida evident. But she set off back towards the wall without a word. 

"She would not speak to me, no matter what I said to her," Julain said, running to catch up with them. 

"Hm," Jaida said. Rhiannon shuddered to imagine what he said in an attempt to get a rise out of her. 

"Why can't men go into the chamber?" he asked. "That's absurd!" 

"Men are too angry and violent to participate in politics," Jaida said. "It's something that's better left to women."  

He snorted. "You aren't serious." 

She looked at him. "Why wouldn't I be?" 

His smile fell. He gaped at her, struggling to find a reply. Rhiannon touched his shoulder and shook her head. Don't bother.

She had talked about this with Jaida before, and her mind was made. Outside of Thrael, her views weren't supported by other societies, and so she mostly kept quiet about her thoughts. But here, Rhiannon suspected she might see a side of Jaida she did not yet know.

After walking a ways toward the edge of the city they came to a sprawling villa at the base of a hill, surrounded by gardens, fruit dripping from the green. A middle-aged woman stood among the plants, loading fruits into a basket on her arm. 

"Auntie Onetta," Jaida called as they passed through the gate. 

Onetta turned, dropping her basket when she saw Jaida. 

"Jaida!" she cried, rushing to hug her. She pulled back, kissing her face and brushing back her hair. "I heard rumors, but I didn't dare hope they were true. You were a slave? Did they treat you well?"

"Yes, Auntie, I -- "

"Oh my stars, you're filthy," she said, wrinkling her nose as she pulled at Jaida's clothes. "And you brought friends! I'll run a bath for each of you. Coretta! Petunia!" she called, marching back toward the house. 

Jaida gestured for them to follow. The front door led them to a stone floor covered in woven mats. A sitting room was on their left, bordered by an eating room and a kitchen. Several halls led off of the main room. 

Two girls with dark, curly hair came rushing from one of the halls. "Jaida!" they cried.

They nearly tackled her to the ground. She laughed, pushing them off playfully. 

"We missed you," the taller one said. "Where were you?" 

"Stuck in Khepri," Jaida said. 

"But you're back now," the shorter girl said. 

"Girls, go collect the water!" Onetta said, sparing Jaida from having to answer. They scampered off, giggling and shoving each other playfully. Onetta shook her head. 

"Still haven't settled down, eh?" Jaida said, pushing herself to her feet. 

Onetta laughed. "Not quite. Coretta just got her first blood a few months ago." 

"Her what?" Julian whispered. Rhiannon shook her head and mouthed I'll tell you later.

"She did?" Jaida said. A shadow of sadness crossed her face. "I'm sorry I missed the ceremony. Petunia won't be far behind then, probably." 

"She sure hopes so," Onetta said. "She was just beside herself with jealousy." 

"I'm sure," Jaida laughed. "I remember feeling that way when Thalia got her first blood." 

"Oh, I remember," Onetta laughed. 

The sound of the girls laughing and yelling rang through the house.

"Come now," Onetta said. "Jaida and . . ." 

"Rhiannon," she said with a smile. 

"What a beautiful name," Onetta said. "Rhiannon. Would you girls mind sharing? We only have two washrooms." 

Jaida looked at her, panicked. Rhiannon smiled and shook her head. She knew Onetta didn't know who she was. 

"That's alright with me," Rhiannon said graciously. 

Onetta smiled. "Wonderful. Come, young man, I'll show you to our other washroom." 

Rhiannon followed Jaida to the washroom, where water had already been dumped into a large stone tub. Rhiannon trailed a finger in the water. It was warm. 

"If the water is too cold I'll have the girls get more stones," Jaida said. 

Rhiannon noticed the stones scattered across the bottom of the tub. "It's alright." 

"You can go ahead," Jaida said. "I need to get back to the chamber. I'll use the washbasin and bathe later tonight." 

Rhiannon nodded. "Very well." 

"Um, Rhiannon," Jaida said, her voice uncharacteristically hesitant. 

"Yes?" 

"Would you mind . . . not telling anyone here that you gave me a choice to go home?" 

Rhiannon blinked. "Yes, but why?" 

Jaida turned to the washbasin. "I don't want anyone to know that I chose not to come home." 

Rhiannon frowned, but decided not to press her. "Very well." 

While Jaida scrubbed at her face, Rhiannon removed the tattered tunic Cerridwen had given her and slipped under the water. Though it lacked the fragrant oils and servants to wash her hair, she relished the feeling of being clean again. 

"I'm off," Jaida said. "Wish me luck."

She was gone before Rhiannon could utter a word. She frowned before continuing to wash her hair. Dirt leeched into the water, staining it brown. 

Once she was satisfied, she stepped out and dried herself with a linen towel on a stool nearby. There was a knock at the door. 

"I have some clothes for you, dear. May I come in?" Onetta asked.

"Enter," Rhiannon said. Onetta handed her a stack of clothes. "Thank you," she said, pulling on the skirt and top. The fabric was light and soft. 

"Of course," she said. "I hope those fit alright, Coretta wasn't blessed with your curves."

"They fit just fine," Rhiannon assured her. 

"I'll show you to Coretta's room. I'm sure you must be exhausted." 

Rhiannon nodded emphatically, eliciting a laugh from Onetta. She followed her down the hall to a cozy room with large windows. 

"I'll let you rest," Onetta said. "Would you like me to wake you up for dinner?" 

"Please," Rhiannon said.

 Onetta nodded and shut the door quietly behind her. Rhiannon collapsed onto the bed, barely pulling the quilt over her shoulders before sleep dragged her under. 

Rhiannon woke to the sound of dishes clanking and children yelling. She rubbed at her eyes. The sun was setting outside, the golden light streaming through the window. 

She combed her hair with her fingers and pinched her cheeks before making her way to the kitchen. Three young children were seated at the table, along with Coretta and Petunia. Julian was dozing next to them, impervious to their antics. 

"You're awake!" Onetta crowed. She was stirring something on the stove. A baby rested on her hip, its large, dark eyes staring blankly at Rhiannon. She tried to wave, but the child buried her face in Onetta's ample shoulder. 

Thalia came from one of the halls. No longer in her red robes, she wore simple linen clothes, much like the ones Onetta had given her. Her wavy, dark hair was loose around her shoulders, falling nearly to her waist.

"Thank you Auntie," she said, taking the baby and cradling her in her arms. The baby crowed and gave her mother a toothless smile. "Let's get you fed, eh?" 

Jaida and Tabitha emerged, looking tired and haggard. Another woman with long auburn hair followed behind them. 

She held out her hand to Rhiannon. "I don't think we've had a chance to meet. I'm Mila, Onetta's wife." 

Rhiannon took her hand. "Rhiannon." She looked at Petunia and Coretta. "So are they -- "

"Onetta's," she said. "The two little boys over there are mine, and the girl is Thalia's firstborn." 

Rhiannon nodded. "I see. And Tabitha -- "

"Her husband died when Thalia and Jaida were young. A construction accident," Mila said. "Tabitha never remarried."

Rhiannon looked at Jaida, who was laughing with one of the boys. She had never mentioned her father, or lack of one. She had only told a few stories about her mother. 

"Everyone sit! Dinner is almost ready," Onetta called. 

Mila smiled at her and joined Tabitha at the table. Rhiannon sat across from Jaida, as far away from the children as possible. 

"Where are the boys?" Onetta said.

Right on cue, two men, one younger and one older, came in with a teenage boy in tow, carrying armfuls of firewood. After setting it down near the hearth, they took a seat at the table. 

"Alright," Onetta said, carrying over the large pot. "Here's the stew! Dig in, more's coming." 

Everyone passed around the pot, ladling the thick stew into their bowls. Rhiannon's stomach growled. It smelled heavenly. 

Onetta brought over more dishes filled with roasted vegetables and a bowl of greens before sitting down to eat herself. Thalia returned to the table and began heaping her plate. 

"Baby's asleep," she said with a sigh. 

"I envy her," Jaida said. "That was brutal." 

"Did you only just return?" Rhiannon asked. Jaida nodded. "And where are the Sylph?"

"What's Sylph?" one of the small children asked. Thalia shushed him. 

"They're in our prison," Tabitha said. 

Rhiannon nearly spat out her food. "What? How could you let this happen?" 

"Just until we can verify that this army is real and marching north," Tabitha said. "We made sure they were comfortable." 

"It was the best we could do," Jaida said, looking at Rhiannon apologetically. 

"Let's leave politics out of dinner," Onetta said. "Has anyone been in town lately? I hear there's a new shop open that's just adorable." 

With that, the conversation turned to other things. Rhiannon tuned it out, eating her fill and then some. 

After dinner, the children, Onetta, Mila, and the men gathered in the living room. Jaida, Thalia, and Tabitha returned to their rooms, exhausted from their day. 

"Will you sit with us, Rhiannon?" Onetta asked. Rhiannon watched as the children climbed all over Julian, pulling at his grown-out hair. 

"I think I'll retire for the night," she said. 

"Alright," Onetta said with a smile. "Goodnight." 

"Goodnight." 

Rhiannon passed the door to Coretta's room. She crept down the hallway, looking for the back door Coretta and Petunia must have used earlier. 

She reached a fork in the hallway. To the left was a split door with a window that led out into the garden. Just as she was about to make her move, she heard noises to the right. She changed her direction. 

She came to a closed door. She could hear Jaida and Tabitha arguing behind it. She carefully put her ear against the wood. Though their voices were muffled, she could make out most of their conversation. 

" -- I thought you were finally safe," Tabitha was saying. 

"I was," Jaida said. "I never intended to come back." 

"You shouldn't have come back. You should have never come back. You executed it perfectly, and now -- "

"Would you rather I have left you all to die?" Jaida shot back. 

"That girl. I see the way you look at her. You could have been happy, you could have had a life -- " 

"It's not like that, Mother," Jaida said. 

"So you don't love her." 

"That's not what I -- agh, Mother, just be grateful I came here to warn you. Be grateful I've saved Thrael." 

"Maybe," Tabitha said. "Maybe not. But if people know what you are -- "

"I'm sorry I can't do anything right," Jaida snapped. Footsteps stomped towards the door. 

Rhiannon stifled a curse and rushed away as quickly as she could. 

"Rhiannon?" 

Not fast enough. 

She turned slowly. "Hello." 

"What are you up to?" Jaida said, her eyes narrowing.

"Just looking for the washroom." 

"What are you actually doing?" 

Rhiannon licked her lips. "I was going to go see the Sylph." 

"With no shoes?" 

"I don't have any shoes." 

Jaida pinched her nose. "Rhiannon, why?" 

"Why don't I have shoes?" 

"What -- no, dammit, why are you trying to go to prison to find the Sylph? What was even your plan?" 

"I was making it up as I went." 

"Do you want the council to distrust us? To throw us out? They're already terrified as is. If they thought you were working with them -- "

"I don't want the Sylph to be angry. We need them on our side -- "

"Why can't you ever just let things be?" 

Rhiannon didn't know what to say. Jaida sighed. "You were listening at the door, right? How much did you hear?" 

Rhiannon knew what she should ask. But it wasn't the answer she wanted most.

"You love me?" She wasn't sure what she wanted to hear. 

Jaida swallowed. "My mother has a wild imagination." 

"But do you?" 

"Why does it matter?" Jaida asked. "I have no political value to you. You would never be with me, even if I did. Not really." 

Rhiannon felt like she had been slapped. "Is that how you think of me? A cold, power hungry -- "

"Tell me I'm wrong," Jaida interrupted. Rhiannon said nothing. She scoffed. "Exactly." 

Rhiannon felt heat rise to her face. "You think I want to be a princess? You think I want to spend every day of my life looking over my shoulder, plotting against my own family? I wish I could walk away, I really do." 

Jaida rolled her eyes. "You love it. It thrills you, walking the edge of a wire, manipulating and plotting and scheming." 

"I actually care about my people, you know. I want to be queen so I can make Khepri better for them." 

"Please. People are just pawns in your schemes." 

"Fine," Rhiannon said, feeling hot tears fall down her face. She hoped it was too dark for Jaida to see. "How's this for a scheme. Leaving my home and my wonderful family, allowing them to think I'm dead. All because there's something wrong with me. Sound familiar?

"So what is it, Jaida? What's so awful about you that you had to run away from home and pretend you were dead?" 

It was suddenly very quiet. Rhiannon could hear her heartbeat in her ears. Jaida stepped toward her until they were nearly nose to nose.

"If you care about me at all," she whispered. "You will never speak of that again." 

She shoved past her, leaving her alone in the dark hallway.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

238 12 27
Lithias was starkly different than the rest of the world. Marked by her ancestors with what she would argue was a curse, her fate was sealed from the...
64.8K 3K 87
[COMPLETED] As the light has disappeared, darkness have risen. ( I won't put too much description, if u want to know what this story is all about. Y...
1.3K 201 29
What if you had the ability to write? What if you couldn't control the story you created? And what if, the magic kingdom your hands are so keen on wr...
129 10 11
I had secluded myself from humans for seven years now, deep in the darkest part of the forest where the most violent and bloodthirsty beasts roamed f...