| ❅ | Finding Home | ❅ | A No...

By Decembra1998

A young orphan named Risa, is sent out on her own now that she is eighteen. Trying to find her family and fol... More

❅ Copyright Information ❅
❅ Author's Disclaimer ❅
❅ Awards & Publish Dates ❅
❅ Cover ❅
❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅
❅ Chapter One ❅
❅ Chapter Two ❅
❅ Chapter Three ❅
❅ Chapter Four ❅
❅ Chapter Five ❅
❅ Chapter Six ❅
❅ Chapter Seven ❅
❅ Chapter Eight ❅
❅ Chapter Nine ❅
❅ Chapter Ten ❅
❅ Chapter Eleven ❅
❅ Chapter Twelve ❅
❅ Chapter Thirteen ❅
❅ Chapter Fourteen ❅
❅ Chapter Fifteen ❅
❅ Chapter Sixteen ❅
❅ Chapter Seventeen ❅
❅ Chapter Eighteen ❅
❅ Chapter Nineteen ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-One ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Three ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Four ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Five ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Six ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Seven ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Eight ❅
❅ Chapter Twenty-Nine ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-One ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-Two ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-Three ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-Four ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-Five ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-Six ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-Seven ❅
❅ Chapter Thirty-Eight ❅
❅ Epilogue ❅
❅ Author's Note ❅
❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅
* Bonus Chapters *
❅ Bonus Chapter ❅ Part One ❅
❅ Bonus Chapter ❅ Part Two ❅

❅ Chapter Twenty-Two ❅

22 3 12
By Decembra1998

That next morning came far too soon for Risa. She was still in bed when Stella knocked at her door. "Go away, five more minutes." She called loud enough for whoever was at the door to hear as she pulled the covers over her head. She was physically exhausted and just couldn't force herself out of the bed just yet.

Stella laughed softly. How amusing. Risa was still fast asleep although she should have been up by now. "Risa, it is I, Stella. You are supposed to be ready. We have a big day! First starting with breakfast and then showing you around this marvelous city with a few special strings I pulled." She called through the door. She made sure to keep her voice just loud enough for Risa to hear but not enough to disturb her neighbors.

Risa sat up in bed and looked over at her clock. She gasped as she realized she hadn't set the alarm on the clock. "Be ready in fifteen minutes." She called getting out of bed and rushing around getting ready for the day. She couldn't believe she had overslept. She hoped Stella wouldn't be bad. "Sorry about that, I truly am." She ran a brush through her hair.

Stella smiled and turned around. "It is fine. I will be in the lobby waiting for you." She replied, pulling her coat up around her and looking down at the poodle Éclair at her side. It was a good thing the hotel Rolando had picked out had a fully finished and fancy lobby with many chairs, couches, and tables, amongst other things.

Risa soon met her outside with Loyal at her side on a leash, to keep her from going anywhere or getting hurt. "I know girl, I know you don't like it but around here you have to wear one." She felt bad watching her dog paw at her neck. She knew it was uncomfortable, but it was something she had to have to keep her close.

Loyal was pawing at the harness around her body and a piece of rope attached that Risa held in her hand. "I know, I know. It just is very uncomfortable." She whined trying to ignore it and not let it bother her. She didn't understand how other dogs wore these things. They were awful, it felt like she was being strangled.

Risa looked up at Stella and noticed she had Éclair with her. "Oh Stella, you brought Éclair with you! That will certainly take Loyal's mind off the harness and leash." She smiled happily, bent down to the poodle's level. "She must be happy to get out of the house. I know Loyal is thrilled."

Loyal was happy to see Éclair and perked up, beginning to forget about her harness. "Hi, Éclair! It's so good to see you again! I thought for sure I would be alone in this vast city but now I have you to spend time with!" She exclaimed, barking and jumped around, only to get tangled in the leash.

But Éclair wasn't so happy to see Loyal, since she found the mutt annoying. "Uh-huh. If you say so, I am just here because Stella knew I needed some fresh air, not because of you " She said as she flicked her tail, lifting her head in the air and sticking her nose up. She couldn't believe that mutt would be hanging around her. Oh, the attention it would draw.

Loyal began to whine, not liking how the bigger dog was treating her. She was stuck up and she didn't understand why Éclair hated her so much. "Oh, if you, that is the reason." She hung her head down feeling so bad. What did she ever do for Éclair to treat her in such a way? Was it because she was a mutt and not a pedigree purebred like her?

Risa laughed and bent down, untying her little dog from her leash. "Oh Loyal, what am I going to do with you." She mused, looping up the excess rope around her hand, making a mental note she would need to fix it so there wasn't too much leeway. Too much could end up getting Loyal hurt.

Stella hugged Risa, smiling brightly at the younger girl. She looked beaming, even though it was still early in the morning and she did bc take notice of the faint dark circles under her eyes. "Bonjour! Oui oui, I did bring her along. Today is the day that you experience the life of a Parisian citizen. Courtesy of moi." She beamed brightly, looping her arm around Risa's and pulling her closer.

Risa couldn't have been more thrilled about this event. She was brimming with excitement. She would be given a tour by a native to Paris, not to mention people wouldn't pass her off as just another tourist. She knew Stella was quite the notable lady. "Sounds amazing, thank you for doing this. Oh, I even have on a beret, the black one that matches my black and red dress." She pointed to the beret on top of her head.

Stella found it looked good on her and completed her outfit. She looked her up and down, taking in her beauty in a simple outfit she wore. "Now, you look like a true Parisian girl." She complimented, only slightly teasing since berets weren't the main thing to make you a Parisian. You would either have to have been born there or hold a citizenship.

Risa giggled softly and sighed gently, pulling her coat up around her higher as she looked down at the tracks she was making in the snow. That made her blush even if it was simply teasing. "I can't help but wonder, what's the place we are going to have breakfast called?" She glanced up at her.

Stella was glad she had asked, she was wanting it to be a surprise but since she asked. "Café du Groupe Socialiste. It is a little place I like to spend my time there since everyone is so friendly. I have known a few of the baristas since I was a young girl, we lived on the same street." She did know a lot of people, she was quite the people person, not to mention she was the sister of the late Canadian Queen.

Risa rubbed the back of her neck with her gloved hand. "Sounds fancy, but I am sure there are no rich people there, right? I am not sure that would go well, or I would go well together with them. I am probably overreacting and being silly, jumping to conclusions. Oh, and what does the word in the café mean?" She rambled on a little bit, her cheeks growing flush and not because of the cold air.

Stella was amused that just by the name Risa thought such a thing. "Believe me, the rich do not go there, which is why I prefer it. As long as you stick with me nothing can go wrong, many don't know my title, and those who do treat me like a normal girl." She was glad she could live a normal life. "It means Café Of Group Social! Don't ask me why it was given the same, I wouldn't know." She explained, hoping to have made it clear.

Risa could hardly wait and to her shook it was closer than she thought. The wood sign hung off the corner of the cute little café. Never had she seen such a quaint yet sophisticated cafe. "Oh my, Stella, this place is so cute! I didn't think it was so close to us." She had never been to an actual café, she had only heard about them.

Stella gave a sheepish laugh at Risa's comments. It was indeed cute and hidden in a little book that only those who enjoyed such a cafe would know about it. It was one of those native spots tourists never came to. "Ah yes, I forgot to mention that. Forgive me, my mind has been away from here. Don't worry, it is only about Rolando and what he has planned." She normally didn't have a lot on her mind but since Rolando had come her mind wouldn't shut off about it.

Risa nudged her gently with a smile. She hasn't taken notice since she was too enthralled with Paris. "I am sure you don't need to lose your head in the clouds over what Rolando had planned. Knowing him, it will be amazing and from the heart." She said sitting walking inside and sitting down in a chair.

Stella sat down and she truly wanted to know how Risa felt today. She had known the man for years since they were young adults, and she had only ever fallen for him. "I know. We have been together for so long, and in love for years, it seems unreal. However, our lives and time had never been on our side." She looked up at the waiter who had come up to them.

The waiter bowed to the two girls, a beaming smile on his face and one little strip of a mustache above each lip, making him look dashing - according to Risa's blush. "Good morning Mademoiselles, how may I serve you today?" He was polite no doubt, cute, and looked quite young, younger than Risa which signaled his parents probably owned this place.

Risa opened the menu and looked through the items listed. It was in French but she could read and speak it so there was nothing she needed to worry about. "Oh, the strawberry croissant sounds good, may I have two of them please? And some orange juice." She smiled politely, hoping she wasn't being greedy asking for two.

Stella already knew what she was going to get since she got it all the time: an egg souffle, biscuit, coffee, and a dish of fresh fruit as well. "The regular breakfast is what I shall be having." She told the waiter knowing he knew what she liked and got it regularly. She was a regular customer and one they all enjoyed serving.

The waiter nodded with a smile, closing the little notebook he used to take their order. "I shall be right back." He left them for a bit and soon came back with their breakfast goods, setting them in front of them. "If you need anything else please tell me." With that, he left to go wait at another table.

Risa looked at the pastry before her and smiled. She could feel herself drooling over the warm croissant before her. "Mmm! This is so good!" She mumbled covering her mouth with her hand. The bite of a croissant filled with strawberry jelly. It was divine. She had no words to describe how tasty it was, all she could do was softly moan and eat.

Stella giggled softly at the sight before her. She was glad Risa liked it. Anything stuffed inside a croissant was delicious. "I'm so glad you like it, Risa." She smiled gently before continuing. "Are you up for meeting the Rosenbergs?" She asked to spread butter on her biscuit then put some honey on it.

Risa shifted her gaze to the floor, where Loyal was sleeping by her feet. That was something she hadn't anticipated to be asked. She knew they were alive but meeting them after what happened the night before? "I don't know. I just don't want them to think I am trying to hurt them in any way, but -" She paused as she drank some of her orange juice.

Stella tilted her head to the side as she set down her biscuit. "But what?" She was a bit skeptical about what Risa was going to say. Of course, they wouldn't think such a thing as long as she stayed beside her the whole time. She knew Nathan probably had a preconceived opinion about Risa because of what happened, but as long as she was there it shouldn't be a problem.

Risa pushed her hair behind her ear and sighed. She needed to be honest. "I know this might sound crazy, but last night when I was asleep I had a different dream than I normally have. The nightmare man or figure, whatever he was, appeared in my dream but he didn't hurt me, he just reminded me I would die and so would my family when we met again. Am I going crazy?" She asked, knowing it sounded ridiculous.

Stella shook her head, she was not crazy at all. It was only logical for her to have those sorts of nightmares due to all the trauma she had experienced. "No, I don't think it is crazy. It sounds a lot like your beginning to piece back your history puzzle and this nightmare person is the thing that began everything, it probably is a mirror of your deepest fear." She suggested, not knowing much about psychological issues.

Risa shook her head knowing that wasn't it, or maybe it was? He hadn't a single clue about anything. "Maybe, perhaps, I'm not sure in all honesty. It is probably just that, dreams that mean nothing and all that happened my subconscious was trying to piece everything together." She said, giving her shoulders a shrug as Loyal jumped up in her lap.

Stella then had a thought pop back into her head from the other day. She had always been meaning to ask but she had always gotten sidetracked. "How did you get Loyal? I have always been meaning to ask." She was curious to know how she got her sweet little dog, who was very docile.

Risa was glad she had asked about her little friend. "A few months before Mrs. Hemmingworth sent me out, I found this little mutt cold and alone in the snow on the orphanage grounds. I took her in and warmed her up, she immediately picked me as her owner. I have been very blessed to have such a loyal companion, which is why I named her Loyal." She mused, looking fondly down at her dog.

Stella picked up her teacup and took a sip from it as she listened to what Risa had said. That was adorable. Finding the cute little dog alone and taking her in, Risa did have a kind heart. "That is such a wonderful story! I just hope Éclair can get along with her. I know they'd be good friends if Éclair would be friendly for once." She glanced down at her dog who was sitting all prim and proper.

Monica Rossi, a long-time friend of Stella, walked up to the table, pushing away some blonde hair that had fallen out of her neat bun. She seemed to carry herself to pride and confidence. "Bonjour Stella, it is nice to run into you here." She greeted as her ocean blue eyes sparkled in the morning light.

Emily Bou bowed her head to Stella, pushing her side-swept bang back to meet the other brown hair from her curly bob. "Bonjour Stella, and who is this sweet young girl?" Her green eyes focused solely on Risa from behind round glasses. She had never seen the girl before, she might've been a family member? Stella didn't talk about her family.

Stella looked up at the two women and gave a gentle smile. "Bonjour ladies, Monica, Emily, this is Risa. She's a friend of Rolando's. I have taken the liberty of showing her around Paris today. I am glad to have run into you here." She introduced both of the women to Risa, happy that they had dropped by.

Monica stretched out her hand for her to shake. "It's nice to meet you, Stella has told us you were coming to Paris in search of your family. Along with gushing about Rolando. I feel as if I already know him as much as she speaks about him." She sat down in a chair beside the table so she could talk with the two girls.

Risa extended her hand and shook it, a little self-conscious? Or was it nervousness? Anxiousness even? She hasn't a clue what she was feeling. "It is nice to meet you as well. I'm not surprised Stella spoke about Rolando, but she spoke about me? I don't know whether to be emotionally or flattered." She mused, looking down at her plate.

Emily glanced from Monica to Risa, placing her hands in her lap when she sat down. She was adorable in every way. "Where are you from? I have a slightly terrible memory when it comes to remembering names and places. Stella told me but I can't remember." She pondered what she recalled her saying. She had the memory of a goldfish somedays.

Risa was a little awkward when it came to answering her question. Yes, they seemed like wonderful people, but she did feel a little out of place. Perhaps it was because she didn't have anyone around her age or they seemed intimidating. "Canada. Frontrance, Canada." She replied softly, pushing hair behind her ear which she did when she was anxious.

Monica clapped her hands together and once the fingers were laced she rested the back of her hand on her cheek. "Oh, I have always wanted to visit. I hear the palace is being turned into a museum! If that doesn't attract tourists then I don't know what will." She couldn't help it when it came to noble things.

Risa nodded her head at what she had said and taken a bite out of her croissant. "Yes, Rolando was overseeing the restoration of the palace back to its original glory to keep alive the Rosenberg name even if they are gone." She explained after she finished the bite in her mouth. She wasn't lying and saying they weren't, she was merely saying what Rolando had told her.

Emily gave a smirk when Rolando's name was mentioned because Stella blushed a little bit even if they weren't talking about them. "Oh, I saw you at the opera last night. You looked stunning and Rolando was just as handsome as always. Sorry, we didn't come up, we had to leave right after." She apologized.

Monica butted in before anyone else had a chance to speak. "So has he asked you yet?" She was talking about Rolando asking for her hand in marriage. Since he was here he had to ask her right? Maybe he was planning something special, perhaps even asking her hand in marriage. It was about time he popped the question.

Stella gave her head a shake. She knew what they were implying. That was something he hadn't done yet. She knew he would, but she wasn't going to press the issue. "No he hasn't, but knowing Rolando he is planning everything out and it will happen any day since he will be staying for a while. I'm not going to rush him on this, besides I don't think he knows I know." She said, taking a sip of her tea.

Emily got all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at Stella's words, getting all giddy at that. She giggled a little before speaking. "I am sure he will. You two are made for each other. There isn't anyone that needs to get married more than you two." She sighed dreamily, resting her elbow on the table then rested her chin in her palm.

Monica laughed softly at how childish Emily was acting and nudged her. She then nodded her head knowing she was right after all. "Emily is right, and when your wedding happens I can not wait to help you with a wedding dress." She squealed, clapping her hands together. She could picture Stella in the most extravagant wedding dress, although everyone knew she was a simple girl.

Emily turned to Monica and placed her hands on her cheeks. "Oh, I can't wait to be a bridesmaid, I have never been one before. Oh, listen to me, acting like a common school girl who has a crush on a boy in her class." She laughed at how she was acting. They seemed to be like giddy school girls despite being 30 something adults.

Stella loved being around those two, they made her feel like a young lady again. Yes at times they may have been a little much, she was just happy to have wonderful friends. "You two are making my life brighter with your smiles and laughs. Until that day comes, let's try not to speak of it again or pressure Rolando, I do not want him to get cold feet." She warned them.

Monica waved her off, not taking much of what she said to heart. "When has Rolando ever gotten cold feet? He was the military sergeant for King Nathan. He was at the top of his game and never shied away from anything. No, he had no battles to fight, but he had aided minor incidents." She pointed out, running her hands through her hair.

Emily had to agree, it wasn't like Rolando to have cold feet no matter what happened. He always had a plan and was one step ahead of everyone. "He is a stand-up guy, so I am sure he will never get cold feet, especially since he is madly in love with you." There couldn't have been two people more in love

Monica pulled out her pocket watch from her purse and gasped at the time. "Oh, I am so sorry Stella, the time has flown. We have to go, we are having to take care of a few things and are quite busy." She closed it up and put it away in her purse as she stood up. She hated to leave so soon, but she would catch up with her later.

Emily stood up and nodded, as much as she hated leaving Stella they had things to do. She didn't want to leave but they had, after all, intruded on Risa and Stella's little pouting. "Yes. We just stopped by to see how you were and who this beautiful young lady was." She looked at Risa, finding her such a lovely girl.

Stella was glad they liked Risa and she got to see them again for even a small while. She had been quite busy and hadn't gotten time to visit them. "It was nice to see you again, Emily, Monica. I will not keep you any longer than you need. I will be busy showing Risa around Paris." She explained hugging both girls.

Emily pulled away and began to walk away, turning around long enough to wave as she spoke. "Farewell Stella, it was a pleasure to meet you Risa, hope you find all your family. I will keep hoping that you will remember any little detail and it will be easy for you." She turned around and began to walk down the street.

Monica followed Emily, having a little spring in her step. "Oui, oui, I hope so too. All the best wishes and hope, Risa darling! I am sure they love and miss you very much. See you girls later, bye!" She waved to them, turning around and hooking arms with Emily as they walked down the street.

Stella waved as they began to walk away and sighed softly. "Farewell girl's." She called before turning to Risa. "I do hope you enjoyed meeting them. They are known for showing up unexpectedly. They can be a bit much at times but they are the life of the party." She said sitting back down and finishing the last bite of the biscuit she had left to finish.

Risa nodded her head with a wide smile, pushing up her empty plate. "I did enjoy meeting them. They are friendly! You have a lot of friends Stella. It must be nice to have so many people who you know have your back." She wished she had a lot of friends. Even some around her age knew what she was going through.

Stella could tell what she was hinting at and placed her hand on top of hers. "Yes, it is. You have myself and Rolando as your friends. However, I think you meant around your age. Since you are here I know you will make some friends since making friends is never that hard if you just put yourself out there and just be friendly." She reminded her.

Risa was in the middle of her croissant when she had a thought popped into her head. "Was Persia your first friend? I was once told that siblings, if you are young enough and close together in age, are your first friends. I don't have a sibling or at least as far as I can recall. So I don't know if it's true or not." She asked me to finish up her orange juice after she spoke.

Stella crossed her legs and rested her hand on her lap. "Yes, she was indeed my first friend since, as hard as it may seem, I was a really shy person. I tended to stay in the shadows instead of mingling with others. Siblings can be your first friends if you are close together in age, like Persia and I were." She replied, smiling fondly at the memory. Oh, how she didn't miss those shy days.

Risa took that into note but then wanted to shy away from that subject since she didn't have a sibling. "Sorry if this is random but why did you agree to see girls that may be the duchess? Didn't you know the heartbreak in it all wasn't worth it? There is only a slim chance she is alive but then there are many obstacles that could prevent it." She asked softly and hesitantly.

Stella figured she would be curious and it didn't bother her at all she had asked. "I lost my niece that day, and I loved her more than anything. If Persia, Nathan, and Cyrene are alive, then Clarissa must be too. I must admit I wasn't too keen on the reward money but it wasn't my choice to make. Money can help motivate people to do the right thing, but for all the wrong reasons." She admitted, leaning onto the table.

Risa looked down at her lap as she listened to what Stella had said. "I understand that. I found it ridiculous to put up reward money since it would be an easy way for people to con their way into your lives for the money. Like what Vincent did." Just the mention of his name made her blood boil, she clenched her fists.

Stella could tell he was a touchy subject and wanted to leave him out of the rest of the conversation. "Yes, that is how things happen. They wanted to see first hand by looks, rather I wanted to know more personal things about them that made them close to Clarissa. Of course, everything that was said was common knowledge."

Risa rested her hand on Stella's, returning what she had done for her. "I am sure one day you will find her and she will be happy to know her family never gave up on her and they were alive. I know if I was her I'd be happy, crying tears of joy." She truly hoped they could be reunited together.

Stella smiled gently and gripped Risa's hands, noticing how much she looked like Persia at that moment. "The same goes for you, one day you will find your family. I am sure they haven't stopped looking for you and want nothing more than to see you again, to know you are alive and well." She meant every word and truly knew that when the time came, all their hearts would be healed.

Risa withdrew her hands and placed them on her lap. She took a deep breath looking at her empty plate. "I won't know until we go to the clock owner who isn't open until next week. Until then, I will be spending my time adventuring around Paris and perhaps finding a job?" She sighed knowing she had to wait a few more days which she was dreading.

Stella raised an eyebrow at what she had said, listening inventively. "Oh, you want to get a job? I am sure you can find something but there aren't many women who can do it right now. If you need help I am always open to give you a hand." She offered knowledge in a world ruled by men, not all men, but most thought because you were a woman you couldn't do their job.

Risa was glad to have such supportive words and someone telling them to her who meant it. She was glad she had accepted Rolando and Vincent's proposal to accompany them to Paris. "Thanks, Stella. You are the best! I do not know what I would do without you. Your hospitality and making me do our shopping means the world." She smiled gently.

Stella stood up and grabbed her purse off the table and grabbed Éclair's leash, the poodle rising to her paws ever so gracefully. "Do you have any places you want to go?" She asked waiting for Risa to get to her feet so they could begin the tour of his place. She wanted to show it all on her terms.

Risa thought about it for a moment as she thought about all the places she could go to in this great city. She had not many ideas and so many places that they couldn't possibly get to them all in one day. "Well, I want to go to the Eiffel Tower. I've had this pocket watch for as long as I can remember. It has a picture of the Eiffel Tower on it and I want to see it in person."

Stella looked at the pocket watch. It somehow seems familiar. She couldn't recall whether she heard about it or had seen it. It could have been popular. "So this is what brought you to Paris? We can go to the Eiffel Tower, but on our way, we will make a few stops at some places you must see!" She beamed brightly.

Risa walked beside the river and looked over the side. She had seen this in the book Vincent had given her on the ship to read. It looked so much better in person than in the books. "Wow, the water looks so beautiful." It also looked cold. Plus there wasn't any way to get out if you fell in unless you had a human chain.

Stella giggled softly, walking beside her. She seemed thrilled like a child. It was cute. "Ah, The River Seine, such a beautiful river that runs through the heart of Paris. I do enjoy originally sitting on the bench on the bridge going across the river. It is relaxing." She sometimes could look at the water for hours.

Risa was surprised, not that it had a name but it was that river, the massive river that you can ride a boat on and get a tour. "Really? That is amazing. I think I may do that whenever I feel stressed. Just watch the water and let it relax me." She bent down and rubbed Loyal's head.

Risa and Stella looked off to the side and saw mine, now she wasn't a fan of mine but she had to and this one was pretty funny. The mine was in a room with one door, but the door was locked. He tried to push it, but it wouldn't budge so he tried to unlock it with a bobby pin, even though that was unsuccessful. He took a step back and evaluated the situation. Then out of thin air, he mimed pulling a key out of his shirt pocket, but he didn't have a pocket. He put it in and the door opened, then he walked out. As soon as he closed the door he ran into a wall and fell to the ground. Those who were gathered around started to laugh at this comical silent pantomime.

Risa was shocked she found it funny and clapped along with the crowd. "I will admit that is funny because he is so talented at being able to have such fluidity and act as if he is in a box when there is no box there. I could never do that. I'm sometimes not the lightest on my feet." She wasn't calling herself clumsy because she wasn't.

Loyal looked at the mine and bent down to the ground as she started to growl at him. She didn't like him. "I don't like the way he is looking at us, there is something not right about him." Little did she know there was nothing wrong with him. She was just naturally suspicious of people who acted like that since they were hard to read.

Éclair burst out laughing, sitting down and shaking her head. It was amusing how riled this little mutt could be. "You silly dog, there is nothing wrong with him. He is mine, it is his job to be that way to get people to watch and give money if they like what they see." She explained, rolling her eyes, letting out a huff.

Risa picked up Loyal and shook her head, she found it adorable. "Oh Loyal, don't! He's not doing anything to you. It is his job, he is supposed to give those looks and act that way. It's for entertainment purposes." She kissed her dog's head before setting her back down on the ground.

Stella smiled amused at the sight before her. She had such a great bond with the little pup, she admired how good Risa was with animals. "Next, to the Eiffel Tower, the one place you wish to visit the most in this whole city. It's the main attraction and focal point of Paris. I know you will like it." She said, making her way towards the Eiffel Tower. "I come here regularly whenever I read Rolando's letters. Somehow it's romantic to read them there."

Risa looked up at her amused by what Stella had said. She was smitten with him. It was so refreshing to see love no matter what age. Not that Stella or Rolando were old, they were still young in her eyes. "Oh really? Does it make it more romantic standing in direct view of the Eiffel Tower?" She questioned teasing her just a little bit.

Stella blushed a little bit at Risa's teasing and sighed. She couldn't deny she had a point. She would love to be proposed to on top of it. It would be a proposal to remember. It was a long-time dream. "Indeed, it does make it a bit more romantic." She gave a dreamy look, looking up at the bright blue sky making the snow on the ground sparkle like millions of diamonds.

Risa watched the Eiffel Tower draw closer as they walked towards it. "What is that building behind the Eiffel Tower?" She asked, pointing to the massive yet beautiful building. She had glanced over it in the book but she couldn't recall if it said anything about it. It was one place that she would want to go to while she was here.

Stella raised her eyebrows as she looked at the building Risa was pointing to. "Oh that, The Trocadéro Palace. It is common for lavish parties and events to be held there." She replied. She couldn't recall if anything was being hosted as of yet. "Perhaps they may host another masquerade ball since it's quite popular in Vienna and many love the whole mysteriousness it holds." She had been to a few before.

Risa smiled as she listened to her speak. "Oh, a masquerade ball, I'd love to go to one of those." As they got closer, she pulled out her pocket watch and held it in her hands. The Eiffel tower grew bigger with every step they took towards it. "Wow, I can't believe I am seeing it in person." She stammered don't getting all teary-eyed.

Stella was touched by how she was acting and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. She pulled her close to her and rested her cheat on her head. "Oh Risa," She couldn't help but feel touched by her actions. She was just overwhelmed with all that was going on and what had gone on that this was making her so emotional.

Risa wiped her eyes with her handkerchief she pulled from her purse and snuggled into Stella. "I never thought I could make it here. My whole life growing up I was told I'd never make it here. Yet here I am. Seeing it in person makes everything so real. I am one step closer to finding my family. I don't care how hard it is going to be, if I can be here I can find them." She hugged Stella tightly, determination in her voice and eyes.

Stella pulled away and looked at her with a gentle gaze. She saw how strong Risa was. After all, she had been through she was still optimistic about finding them. "How about I give you some history about the building, hmm? Maybe it might help you feel better, no?" She asked softly, ignoring everyone who was around them also enjoying the day.

Risa sniffled, stuffing her hands in the pockets of her coat. That would take her mind off it and prevent her from getting overly emotional. "I would like Stella. I feel if I don't get to focus on something else I am going to break down right here in front of everyone." She gave a nervous laugh, knowing she had way too many emotions tucked deep away.

Stella nodded and began to explain. "It was built in 1889 by French engineer Alexandre Gustave Eiffel. That's how it got its name. It is built of wrought iron, three hundred meters which are nine hundred and eighty-four feet high. It was the tallest man-made structure for many years. It was also modeled after the architecture of the inner structure of the Statue of Liberty in Manhattan, New York, United States of America." She explained, happy to tell Risa all about it.

Risa was in awestruck wonder at what Stella had said and yes it did get her mind off of her little breakdown. "Oh wow, that is fascinating. Can you go on top of the Eiffel Tower? You could probably see all of Paris from there! Oh, how amazing that would be." She asked as she was a mile or so away from the Eiffel Tower getting a good view.

Stella nodded, confirming that you could go on top. "Yes you can but for right now with the snow and all they don't want anyone getting up there and slipping on the ice. When I was a girl my parents watched as the tower was built and they said it was fascinating. I think those who watched it being built have a certain attachment to it." She mused, closing her eyes at the thought.

Risa looked over at Stella and smiled softly. There was so much she wanted to learn and perhaps may end up wanting to stay for good. Make Paris her home. Something she never had, whether she found her family or not. "I am sure it was fascinating to see this massive building being built. So far, Stella, this day has been the best." She was having the best time and the day was far from over so she was grateful for Stella doing this for her

Stella was glad she was helping make Risa feel so much better. "I am glad it has Risa, it makes my heart swell to know you are having a great time! However, this is just beginning. I have plans until late at night when everything closes! Just wait and you will experience the Paris nightlife!" It was going to be great.

❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅~❅

A/N:
Somehow I am making time between catching up on series I have fallen behind on, helping out around the house, taking care of our kitten Sammy and not feeling the bed. I suppose I am motivated and have a lot of ideas I gotta get wrote down and hoping to finish this book before the end of the year, fingers crossed.

I rearranged the next few chapters because I just felt like with how I am editing them I needed to switch them around a little bit. So I am happy with how things are turning out.

Edit: I expanded on this with another 2k words. And I am pretty happy with it. I also added a few things and took out a few things but nothing that changed the chapter. I am back to editing and once I finish the rest of the chapters I may go back through again and edit more. Can never be too content with my work when there is always room for improvement.

Chapter talk:
Stella is a true gem, I love her so much. Her helping Risa get her mind off Vincent and showing her around Paris. Then we get to meet Emily and Monica, whom were fun to write. I also changed their personalities from the orginal draft. I kid you not, I have like three drafts on a USB drive for my laptop, three on here. Always keep your drafts, never delete them.

I did a lot of research about Paris and all the amazing places in the city. I specifically had to search about Paris in the 20s since that is where our story takes place. The amount if research us authors do is ridiculous.

And lastly, anything else I forgot to ask away my pals. I am happy to answer anything!

In closing, all rude, impolite and mean comments will be replied to in a diplomatic way, reported or deleted if I feel like it is attacking me personally.

Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

281K 6K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...