Ghost in the Machine

بواسطة SEViolet

Series Five. The epitome of scientific and technological development. A coalition of genius, invention, fanta... المزيد

Author's Note
Found
Contraband
Introductions
Series Five Upgrade
Teenagers
Breach
The Three Laws
Vera
Do Robots Dream?
Secret Agendas
The Primary
Deadly Games
Original Sin
Conflicting Identities
Is That a Joke?
Stealing & Hiding
Dueling Personalities
Flesh and Bone
Malfunctioning Wife
Consequences
Reboot
New Beginnings
Broken Metal
Truth & Lies
Do or Die Situation
Sacrifices
Aftermath
Ghost in the Machine

Complicated

34 5 5
بواسطة SEViolet

"Are you sleeping?" It was hours later, and the android had not moved or spoken for many miles.

"Sleep is not required, and I am fully charged." Was her monotone answer.

"Guess I forgot that." Slowing, he pulled the vehicle over, cutting the engine as the night took over the sudden silence. Crickets chirped nearby, frogs croaking from small patches of running water. The summer breeze had cooled slightly but carried the scent of flowers.

"Walk with me." Getting out of the ATV, Greer held the driver's side open for her, and Echo obediently slid out. Taking her hand, he led her from the vehicle. They'd talked a lot over the passing miles, but he felt a different conversation was now needed. Once far enough away he turned and pulled her into his arms planting a soft, full kiss against her lips. She didn't react, standing compliantly motionless.

"Tell me why I did that," he murmured softly.

"I do not know."

Sliding a hand into her hair, careful to avoid the place that had sent her into a reboot, Greer tilted her lips to his, kissing them lightly.

"Make an educated guess based on your observation of my habits and behavior."

"You...display...feelings for me."

"Yes," smiling, he rested his nose against hers. "I do care. I like you, and occasionally think you're funny. You're smart, charming, kind-"

"Those are human characteristics, Greer," she reminded him. "I do not possess them."

"Shh," tipping her mouth to his, he kissed her once more.

"Explain," Echo put her fingers around his wrist. "I do not understand this contradiction between your earlier statement and this new behavior."

"I will never fully own you, Echo, but I like you. I like having you around, and...honestly, I need your help. If you want, I'd like you to stay with me and Kai. I'd like you to help us."

"So why do you display physical affection if you have an aversion to intimacy with an android?"

"For a human, sometimes a kiss is the only way we can prove how we are feeling," he told her with a smile. "It may not make sense to you-"

"It does not."

"But that's how we are."

"So..." he could almost see gears turning in her head. "You are asking me to remain with you, because you enjoy my presence? I am under no obligation to you and your son? The Primary does not apply?"

"It does not. Stay only if you want to. If not," he gestured around them. "The world is huge, Echo. Walk it. Find a life of your own. Discover your own purpose."

"Robots do not have a purpose apart from their humans," she countered gently.

"You could. There is not another like you, Echo. You are unique in every way."

He could tell that struck a chord in her, for the android's head tilted and her eyes took on a faraway look as she abruptly stared over his shoulder.

"I am unique?"

"Very much so."

Echo struggled to accept that concept. Robots were not unique, it went against the core design and function of being a companionoid. There was no individuality, no separation in personality. Finally, her gaze fixed on his, her perfectly arched brows giving Echo an air of acceptance.

"If that is so...I desire to stay."

"Why?"

"I do not believe any androids in history have chosen their humans. If I am truly unique, then this is appropriate."

"I suppose it is."

"Does this displease you?"

"Of course not." Putting a hand on her shoulder, Greer squeezed gently. "I want you to stay."

Her fingers closed over his, surprising him with their warmth. Echo's smile was tender, a little shy.

"I am glad."

Slipping her hand into his, curling their fingers together, Echo pressed her lips together, glancing up at the sky.

"Greer?"

"What."

Her expression was utterly in awe, her eyes fixed to the stars.

"Tell me about them."

"The stars?"

"No." Suddenly twin points of glowing blue eyes were on him. "Humans."

It jolted him, and staring at her, Greer's mind went blank.

"What about humans?"

"I want to understand them. I want...to understand you."

Words crowded his lips, damming up against the back of his teeth, sticking to his tongue, but no sound came out. How could he explain the complexity of the human race to something incapable of emotion? An android, no matter how sophisticated, however sleek, would never grasp the concept of one simple truth. Humans did not truly understand one another.

"Echo...it's something I can't explain," he said at last, avoiding her piercing gaze. "Man is...complicated."

"Yes, I suppose that is true." Her fingers stayed twined in his. "They fight with one another over petty differences, struggling for dominance based on fallible perceptions and prejudices."

"Sounds like you understand Man alright," his grin was lopsided. She was returning it when her attention abruptly shifted. There was a sudden popping sound and Echo jerked forward, her chin clipping painfully against his shoulder as she sagged, hitting the ground.

"Echo!" With a loud curse, Greer was at her side, frantically shaking her as he looked around. Nothing moved, no sound, but the android remained motionless, her eyes open but blank, the electric blue now black. Swearing, he bodily lifted her over his shoulder and headed for the ATV at a half jog. As he reached it a steady vibration filtered through the air, the blinding beam of a spotlight driving the night back from the vehicle.

"Put the android on the ground and put your hands on your head." A booming voice came from the helicopter above them. Kai jerked awake, sitting up in confusion as Greer gingerly put Echo in the ground, lifting his hands.

"Dad-?"

"Don't move." Rhaner didn't look away from the bright light above them. "They'll kill us, son. Just don't move unless they say so."

"How did they sneak up on us? What happened to Echo?"

"I don't know." Greer's mind was racing as the roar of trucks sounded, headlights blinding as half a dozen closed a circle around them. Reapers leaped out, rifles up and aimed. A voice shouted a strict order.

"Get on the ground now!"

Greer complied warily, watching his son struggle to get out of the ATV, holding his good arm up. It was obvious he couldn't get on the ground, but standing motionless, the teen's eyes were wide as they were surrounded. Soldiers grabbed him, sternly heading him toward one of the trucks. Rhaner felt his arms twisted behind his back, clamped with metal cuffs before he was dragged to his feet. The only thing he saw of Echo was the android's limp form surrounded, blocked from view by a dozen armed Reapers.

Bundled into the truck, he was thrown forward, hitting his shoulder painfully against steel crates welded to the frame. Using his elbow, he sat up, glaring at the soldier who climbed in behind him. Masked, armed, and silent, the Reaper settled near the open back, rifle pointed unerringly at Greer. The point was clear. He'd be shot if he tried anything.

Shifting a little, he edged into a more comfortable position as the truck moved, picking up speed as they drove into the night with their prisoners. Questions and worries ate at him, but Rhaner kept quiet. There would be no answers, not unless the Reapers decided to give them to him. With no leverage, nothing to offer, he was at their mercy. Kai worried him also, for the boy was certainly terrified. Feeling helpless only drove the heat of irritation deeper, but Greer knew there was nothing he could do but wait.

Hours passed, the miles becoming uncomfortable and long in the back of the army truck. With the enclosed bed, there was little light and no scenery, leaving Greer with only the smallest idea of what direction they were driving in. When the vehicle finally slowed he sat up automatically, earning a raised rifle and stiff posture from his guard. Easing back, Rhaner kept his eyes on the small opening at the back of the truck, seeing a flash of movement and the sound of gates and voices. A compound maybe?

"Building C," a voice called. "Drive on."

Trying to relax, yet almost holding his breath, Greer felt like a coiled spring. With his life balanced on the edge of a razor blade, he couldn't help but be angry. Unable to defend himself, ignorant of what happened to his son, bitterness was thick on his tongue, almost acidic in his throat. When they drove into the darkness of a hanger, the Reaper straightened up, leaping out as the truck stopped. His rifle hadn't moved from pointing at the center of Rhaner's chest.

"Out," he snapped. "Slow."

Stiffly getting to his knees, Greer balanced with his hands still bound behind his back, shuffling to the tailgate before jumping down.

"Dad-!" Kai's voice jerked him around, but the Reaper had the barrel of the gun in his ribs before Greer moved. The teen was pale, eyes wide, but otherwise unharmed. People in white lab coats entered from several doors leading into the hangers, several going directly to the boy. They had the appearance of medics, and Kai was bundled onto a stretcher and carried out. Of Echo, there was no sign at all.

"Move," jabbed in the back, Rhaner was prodded toward another set of doors. Biting back a sharp reply, he obeyed, trying to notice everything. By doing so, he missed the entrance of three people that were obviously waiting for him. When he did see them, Greer stopped so fast he nearly stumbled, his blood turning to ice as he began shaking his head in disbelief.

"I...I don't understand." It was surreal, impossible, his mind screamed. "How?"

Mina Rhaner moved a few steps closer, her eyes cool and calculating.

"Hello Greer. It's been a long time."

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

The God Codex بواسطة EvaA

الخيال العلمي

20.3K 2.9K 30
2081. In a sinister world where human survival hinges on biotechnology, an oblivious sixteen-year-old possesses the one code to undo it all. Can she...
Rehash بواسطة EdenY_

الخيال العلمي

61.1K 6.2K 24
He is nothing but an urban legend. The ghost from a past which we would rather forget. But our ghosts don't forget about us. The singularity war be...
Ashra (Editing) بواسطة Ariastgracile

الخيال (فانتازيا)

3.3K 288 53
By the middle of the twenty-first century technology had advanced far enough that it is now possible to create artificial life forms or androids as t...
84 2 5
The robots were made for ill people. When a person reached an illness unable to cure, they injected them with a Brevital sedative, then proceeding to...