Maybe It's Been You All Along...

By cresseeta

"Secrets I have held in my heart are harder to hide than I thought..." AM AU More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
Epilogue

48

7.1K 151 422
By cresseeta

A cold wispy breeze ran over Rosanna's shoulders, waking her from her slumber. Slowly, she opened her tired eyes and ran her fingers through her hair, pushing it back over her head and out of her face. It was tangled and wavy down her back, tickling her shoulder blades as she sat up and scanned her eyes over the room around her.

A yawn engulfed her as she stretched her back out and hugged the pillow under her head. Her skin rising goosebumps caught her attention. She looked down at herself to see that she wasn't wearing any clothes. Hiding a small smile she rolled over, her eyes settling on Alex as he slept next to her. He looked peaceful. His hair falling over his face as his nose dug into his pillow and his exposed arm rested over the covers. His lean bicep muscles rippling under his skin. Rosanna lifted the bed covers carefully not to wake him and saw that he was nude as well. She remembered the night before. Right. That makes sense.

She smiled to herself and sat up, stretching out her sore back yet again. She leant down and kissed Alex's cheek and carefully climbed out of their hotel bed. She walked over to her suitcase and pulled out a pair of underwear and slipped it on, pulling a bra on over her shoulders.

"Aw don't do that," she heard mumbled from behind her. A smile formed on her cheeks and she turned around so see Alex smiling tiredly at her, still lying down on the bed.

"Perv," Rosanna teased and slipped a silk robe on. Alex groaned and turned on his side so he could see her better.

"I'm not being a perv I just think your body is beautiful," Alex hummed, his sleepy eyes looking her up and down, tracing along every inch of her exposed legs as she walked back over to him. "You know where we're going next?" Alex smiled up at her as she sat on the bed beside him. He moved onto his back and interlocked one of his hands with hers. She's so beautiful when she wakes up.

"Paris," Rosanna smiled, moving to lie on top of him, her stomach against his.

"Where we started the best thing going in me life," Alex said and cupped her cheek.

  "Do you happen to be performing at the same venue?" Rosanna asked.

  Alex shook his head no, "but the memory is still there. The first time I kissed you was the first time I knew love like it should be."

  Rosanna smiled and ran her fingers through his hair. "That moment really did change things didn't it?" Rosanna said, "more for the better than I could've ever imagined."

  "I can't believe I didn't realise it from the beginning," Alex said. "I were so stupid to think I belonged to anyone but you."

  "We were kids," Rosanna smiled, "we were stupid and didn't know a good thing when it stared us in the face."

  "I can't believe we've know each other for like seven years," Alex exhaled.

"Yeah I'm getting sick of you," Rosanna teased and kissed him softly.

"I'm sorry we're always touring," Alex apologised, running his fingers through her hair. "Don't get much down time now do we?"

"I don't mind it," Rosanna said honestly. "I like following you round to all these different places. I'd never be able to see them without you."

  "You don't get sick of it?" Alex asked.

  Rosanna shook her head, "I'm with the only thing that means home to me." Alex wanted to cry in that moment. Instead he just hugged her tightly and kissed her like it was the first time he got to.

  "I didn't mean you dickhead," Rosanna teased.

  Alex just laughed and kept his embrace around her. "Yer so mean. I love you."

  With the end of October came the end of the United Kingdom section of their small European leg and they soon found themselves in Paris, just as Alex had said. Funnily enough they were staying at the same hotel and only a floor up from the room they were in the last time they were there. The first night they went straight to sleep as soon as they'd gotten back from their first show. The next day, they had off free to do whatever they liked. Alex had planned that day out as soon as he was told it was a day off for them.

  "Wake up baby," Alex's soothing voice rung in Rosanna's ears. She turned over and saw him smiling down at her.

  "What?" She murmured.

  "Get up, I'm taking you out today," he smiled.

  "No you're not," Rosanna smiled and rubbed her eyes.

  "Course I am," Alex smiled. "C'mon, I built meself a reputation of good dates last time we were in Europe and I've gotta keep them up now that we're back."

  Rosanna smiled and gave in, sitting upright and getting ready as Alex made them both coffees in their small makeshift kitchen. "One sugar babe?" Alex called out to her as she applied her makeup in the bathroom.

  "Yes please!" She called back. Alex wasn't the best barista but he tried and that's what mattered to Rosanna. When he entered, he had a mug in one hand for her and a bowl in the other hovering under his mouth; drinking his coffee out of it like it was nothing unusual. "You're such a freak," she teased and sipped the warm cup of coffee. "It's shite."

  Alex chuckled, "I know. I'm sorry."

  "I'm kidding," Rosanna grinned and kissed his neck softly, making him hum happily in the back of his throat. "So where are we going today?" She asked him.

  "Secret," Alex smirked cheekily and kissed her temple. "I'm gonna take a piss," he said, very unromantically. Rosanna rolled her eyes at him and turned back to the mirror, rolling mascara onto her curled eyelashes. She could hear him using the toilet behind her, "put the seat down after," she warned him.

  Alex chuckled, "of course darling."

"Are you wearing that?" Alex asked as he walked back over to her, flushing the loo. His eyes scanned her up and down. She was dressed in a very casual manner. Not much other than jeans and a shirt.

Rosanna frowned, "is it bad?"

Alex quickly shook his head, "no. No. I...Hmm."

"Wow, thanks babe," Rosanna said sarcastically. Alex sighed and wrapped his arm around her from behind.

"I didn't mean it like that," he said. "You look jaw dropping sweetheart."

Rosanna thinned her eyes at him through their reflection, unconvinced. Alex chuckled and kissed her nape gently. Rosanna rolled her eyes and focused on glossing her lips as Alex continued to kiss her neck, making his way up to her ear and nibbling gently on her earlobe. Rosanna giggled and rolled her eyes, biting her lip as he kissed along her jaw and tilted her head over to kiss him on the lips.

"You ready to go?" He asked her, looking down his nose at her.

"Is what I'm wearing okay?" She asked.

Alex nodded, "You always look amazing."

They walked hand-in-hand down the buzzing streets of Paris, weaving in and out of different people under the lemony morning light. Alex bought Rosanna a bouquet of assorted flowers from a small cart that they passed.

  "Here you go," he smiled and handed them to her in the middle of the streets. Rosanna blushed and grinned, hugging him tight and kissing him hard.

  "I love them," she smiled. "And god, you sound so sexy when you speak French." Alex's mother Penny was a French teacher so Alex had picked up some of the language and was able to buy the flowers without any language barrier. Rosanna only knew a few words and knew that Alex's pronunciation was a little 'British' but to her, he sounded an amplified amount of attractive when he spoke French.

  "Je t'aime, mon chéri," Alex smiled cutely and kissed her.

  "Talk French to me next time we're in bed," Rosanna said teasingly. Alex chuckled and cupped her cheek.

  "Feisty," he hummed and kissed her once more.

He led her through the city to a delicate looking, exquisite cafe. Rosanna's eyes widened and her jaw dropped. It had several stories and each had a balcony, it's railing decorated with flowers, as small two-person tables sat looking out onto the street. Everyone inside looked worth a million dollars.

"Fuck off," Rosanna said in shock as they stood at the doors of the cafe. "Alex..."

"Come on, let's go inside," he smiled and began leading her in when she stopped him. "What?" He asked, concerned.

"I can't go in there," she exclaimed.

"Why not?"

"Everyone in there looks like royalty and I'm dressed in boots and jeans," Rosanna said.

"You look fine love," Alex said honestly.

"Why didn't you tell me to dress nice?" Rosanna asked.

"I mean I asked what you were wearing," Alex said. Rosanna started laughed. "I thought you would see what I was wearing and know we might be going somewhere fancy but I didn't want to spoil anything!"

"Oh my god Alex," she laughed. "I just thought you were being casual."

"In this?" Alex asked looking down at himself. He was wearing black pants and his classic button up top, the sleeves rolled to his elbows and his first four buttons undone to reveal the silver necklace Rosanna gave him.

"You always wear that," Rosanna pointed out, "I didn't know it was something fancy!"

"Oh god," Alex chuckled and wrapped an arm around her. "I'm sorry love." Rosanna rolled her eyes playfully. "You still look beautiful."

  "They're gonna look at me funny," Rosanna said a little sadly. She was kind of used to it. Being looked at in strange ways whenever she went to an event or expensive restaurant.

  Alex felt guilty and put his hands softly on her waist, "D'ya wanna wear my shirt instead then? You'd be able to make it look good and classy."

  "No Al, don't worry about it," Rosanna said, shaking her head.

  He could see in her eyes that she didn't want to be a bother but she didn't want to stand out like a sore thumb at such a nice looking cafe. He wanted her to feel confident about herself. "Come on baby," Alex smiled, "we can swap shirts. I don't mind wearing yer band tee. I want you to feel comfortable in there."

  "Al—"

  "I'm not just suggesting, come on babe," he grabbed her hand and led her into a nearby store that had a public bathroom they could use. Alex locked the door, closing them inside and began unbuttoning his shirt.

  "Alex, it's ok don't worry about it," Rosanna said, putting a hand on his shoulder. Alex rolled his eyes playfully.

  "I want to," Alex stated, "it's part of our date."

  Rosanna sighed and gave into him like she always did. "I'm sorry," she said as he slipped on her shirt, it fitting snugly over his body.

  "What for?" Alex asked, brushing his quiff over his forehead.

  "Being whiny and first-world-problem-y," Rosanna said.

  Alex smiled and shook his head, "yer not being either of those things. I've been looking for a way to get you to wear me clothes anyway."

  Rosanna smiled and shook her head, pulling Alex's silky white shirt over her shoulders and buttoned it up, not all the way as Alex stopped her saying she looked good with the first two buttons undone, and tucked it loosely into her jeans.

  "You look so sexy in me clothes," Alex smiled and kissed her cheek.

  Rosanna chuckled and kissed his lips softly, "thanks for putting up with me."

  Alex smiled and shook his head at her ridiculousness. "Come on baby," he grabbed her hand and they headed back out to the cafe. Alex had booked a reservation for seats on the balcony, making sure he only got the best seats for his girl. The air was cool but the sun managed to shine through the tissue thin clouds. Their table so small their knees touched underneath. Neither of them seemed to mind.

  Their hands on the table, Rosanna's in top of Alex's as they ordered breakfast and drinks. "I feel like I gotta take you on a date at some point this tour," Rosanna said. "Can't be letting you do all the work."

  Alex smiled and shook his head, taking his aviator sunglasses off and hanging them on the collar of Rosanna's shirt that he was wearing. "I don't mind," he said. "I like taking you out."

  Their dates always went so well. They were just so obsessed and invested in each other that the world around them always seemed to disappear until it was just the two of them. Even the simple passer by would be jealous of their love. The way they looked at each other, the way they would react to hearing the others name, the smile they shared whenever they were by each other's side. Their love was almost deafening.

  That day Alex took Rosanna up to the Eiffel Tower, somewhere she'd always wanted to go. Not so much because of its iconic stature. But more because she wanted to see the view of Paris that it provided. It was breathtaking. Especially since they went up there at night so the city shone like galaxies around them. Rosanna's eyes twinkled like a celestial beauty as her eyes scanned over the twinkling city. That look in her eyes made Alex weak at the knees. When he said he fell for her every time he saw her he meant literally and figuratively. He genuinely felt like collapsing in awe whenever he laid his eyes on her.

  He had something in his pocket as they stood at the upper-most level of the Eiffel Tower. When Rosanna had her back turned he pulled it out and looked down at it, smiling to himself and hoping that she would like it.

  "Rosanna?" He asked and watched her as she turned around. He was hiding a smile and had one hand behind his back, clutching the gold piece. "Put yer hands out," he said. Rosanna thinned her eyes at him suspiciously and put both her hands out for him. "Close yer eyes," he said and Rosanna did.

  "Are you gonna ditch me while I'm not looking?" Rosanna teased. Alex just chuckled and shook his head. Bringing his hand back around he carefully placed the item on her palm and told her she could open her eyes.

  "Call me cheesy," he started, as soon as she laid eyes on it. "But I wanted to do the 'thing'."

  It was a simple gold padlock and a key. The padlock had the letters 'A' and 'R' haphazardly engraved into it, giving Rosanna the impression that Alex did it himself. A wide smile formed on her cheeks.

  "You know, how people lock it on the bridge and toss the key into the river?" Alex said shyly. Rosanna couldn't stop the smile burning on her cheeks if she tried. "I know it might be stupid but I wanted us to do that too."

  "It's not stupid," Rosanna smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck. God I love him so fucking much. She hugged him tightly and pressed her lips to his. "Can we go there right now?" she asked excitedly.

  Alex chuckled, "that was the plan."

  They walked through the chilly night to the Pont des Arts bridge, famed for where lovers locked a padlock to signify their love in a 'love-lock'—permanent and throwing away the key so that no one could break their bond. Rosanna had never mentioned it before but she'd always wanted to go to that bridge. The idea of seeing so many peoples different love-locks made her feel happy.

  Alex had his fingers interlocked with Rosanna's as she tightly held the lock in her other hand. They approached the bridge, Alex feeling butterflies in his stomach at the idea of locking their love in – symbolically – for eternity, and walked along the railing, looking for somewhere to lock their padlock.

  Alex found a spot on one of the top rungs and together, they locked the gold padlock on with the rest of them. Alex couldn't take his eyes off it. It just looked so perfect. So stable. So eternal and undeniable. The excitement in Rosanna's demeanour settles Alex's nerves because it cemented that she liked his present.

  Rosanna held out the key and looked up at Alex. "You wanna toss it in?" Alex asked her softly. She was still wearing his white shirt and now had his jacket over her shoulders once he realised she was getting cold.

  "No we've got to do it together," Rosanna said. She held up the key and pressed her lips to it and then mentioned for Alex to kiss it too. He smiled and pressed his lips to the cold metal and then moved his head around her hand and kissed her lips.

  "Okay let's do it," he smiled and put his hand on Rosanna's as she held the key. "We gonna be gentle for fucken peg it?" Alex asked.

  "Peg it," Rosanna smiled. "Let's see how far we can throw it." Together, they raised their linked hands and threw the key into the water, watching as it flew over the shimmering surface and finally broke the glass beneath it. The key disappeared into the water with a quiet 'plop' and sunk to the bottom, joining the rest in its eternal love.

  "I love you so much," Rosanna immediately said to Alex and turned to him, putting her hands on either sides of his face.

  "I love you endlessly," Alex smiled and dipped his head down to hers, tilting his head to the side as he kissed her fully.

  It was a truly romantic scene. The two of them standing like perfect statues with their lips interlocked like their padlock on the bridge. The shimmering lights of the city around them and the cool air creating small waves on the unbroken river beneath them. Rosanna still had her bouquet of flowers and had one daisy in her hair after Alex had placed it behind her ear. The city of love fireworked with their passion. The day definitely living up to Alex's past dates in Europe. He may not have had a knack for making coffee, but he did have one for planning dates.

The Monkeys performed right through November and into December, finishing back in the United States for a short break for the holidays. Alex and Rosanna stayed in LA that year. Most of their friends went back over to England for at least some part of the holiday leaving the couple to keep themselves company.

  California was no where near as cold as Sheffield or Leeds come Christmas time and both Alex and Rosanna agreed that it was a nice change. Christmas was very low key that year but neither of them seemed to mind.

  They were walking around after having breakfast out at a small cafe in Malibu when Alex's phone began ringing. Using the hand that wasn't holding Rosanna's, he took out his phone and pressed it to his ear with a sigh once reading the contact name. He hadn't spoken to Miles in about a year since he told him about his involvement with Taylor.

  "Hello?" He asked, quite confused as to why of all times was Miles calling him now. And about what?

  Rosanna looked up at Alex as he talked on the phone, not yet knowing who was on the other line.

  "Yeah I'm right," Alex said. "She's right too."

  Miles was being very kind and didn't seem to mention the last time he and Alex spoke. Probably for the best.

  "Why're you calling?" Alex asked politely. He'd sort of let the whole Taylor thing go with his lack of connection to Miles. He just focused on Rosanna and the band. "Seriously?" Alex asked, his brows furrowing at the center. "Oh, wow. Shit yeah no. That's great mate...how soon?"

  "Next month," Miles said.

  "Got no reason to not catch up with you now ay?" Alex chuckled. "Nah I'm only kidding. I'm glad to 'ear from ya Miles. Let me know when you get 'ere and you can come round, see the house before I go back on tour."

  "Sounds lovely," Miles said. "Aight, I've gotta go but I'll talk soon ay?"

  "Yeah, see you," Alex said and hung up. He put the phone back in his pocket and turned to face Rosanna, his face looked kind of in disbelief and kind of unsure whether or not to be excited.

  "What?" Rosanna chuckled at his expression.

  "Miles is moving to California."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 12 17
Please remember to comment and vote. Please read 'Info' before reading the rest. Story every day other than the weekend!
793K 22.1K 64
"You're drunk. You're always drunk. You can't keep coming here." "I didn't know where else to go."
135K 3K 38
"I want to change your mind." "Alex... You're drunk." "But my thoughts are sober." You just broke up with your ex boyfriend, and Alex is there to com...