PANDORA'S BOX ▷ s.rogers [2]

By when-they-write

❝ You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. ❞ Eris Schmidt died. The brea... More

INTRO
EPIGRAPH
(1) I'M ONLY GOOD AT BEING BAD
(2) LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER
(3) WAY DOWN WE GO
(4) A BEATING HEART OF STONE
(5) SO FAR FROM HOME
(6) A SHOT IN THE DARK
(7) THE SCAR I CAN'T REVERSE
(8) SOMEWHERE ONLY WE KNOW
(9) A LITTLE UNSTEADY
(11) WE'LL GO DOWN IN HISTORY
(12) IF I COULD BREATHE
(13) COME OUT AND HAUNT ME
(14) HELL AIN'T A BAD PLACE TO BE
(15) LIVIN' ON A PRAYER
(16) DON'T CRY MERCY
(17) TAKE ME APART
(18) A WORLD OF REGRET
(19) I FEEL LIKE A MONSTER

(10) IF WE GO DOWN

720 41 49
By when-they-write

ERIS TRIED HER HAND AT COOKING.

She'd never seen herself bustling around a kitchen with Captain America, apron wrapped around her waist, trying to keep sizzling pancakes from burning. But then again, Eris hadn't seen a lot of things coming.

Like last night, for instance.

They didn't talk about what had happened after her nightmare, but Eris felt her face turn warm every time Steve glanced over. She'd awoken to a rumbling stomach and with nothing else edible in the house, they'd set to making breakfast.

Soon, the smell of scrambled eggs, bacon, and pancakes filled the air.

Only some of it was burning.

Mainly, whatever Eris tried to put together.

Steve clearly had been practicing because he didn't seem to be having any trouble. Eris, on the other hand, swore as she cracked another egg too hard. Shell pieces went splattering into the pancake batter.

"For the love of all things—"

"Winky," Steve cut her off and came around to her side, catching her hand before she splattered the remaining eggs. His eyes danced. "Gently."

"Oh, bite me, Spangles."

He ignored the comment and helped her fish out the shells, amusement written all over his face. Eris grunted lowly and set down her spatula.

"I don't cook. Remind me again why we couldn't order in?"

"Because this isn't New York. And after a bad nightmare, it's good to take your mind off of... other things."

Steve said the words like he knew from experience. Eris turned her head to meet his eyes.

"You have nightmares?"

"Sometimes."

"Does it ever get better?"

"One day," he said gently. "You'll realize a nightmare is only a nightmare. And when you wake up surrounded by people you trust, the memory won't seem so bad. Because the horror will be over and you'll be safe."

And you'll be safe.

Eris gazed at him quietly. She didn't realize how close they were until their noses nearly touched and quickly, she turned back around.

"Of course."

"Your pancakes are burning."

"Your pancakes are—" Eris cut off as smoke began to rise from the skillet and the fire alarm overhead went off. Swearing, she grabbed the pan handle, stumbling over to the sink, and turned on the water. With ringing laughter, Steve moved to turn off the alarm.

"Told you."

"Of all things," she grumbled. "Why is the fire alarm the only thing up to date in this place?"

"Because that just makes sense."

Eris shot him a glare, even as a small grin tugged at her lips. Steve chuckled and moved to start a new batch.

"I'll take over this time."

"Excuse me, Spangles, I was doing just fine on my own."

"That's the third batch you've burned."

"Because you were distracting me!"

Steve tied an apron around his waist and shot her a smirk. Eris still couldn't get over the image of the man. It was starting to grow on her. "Excuses."

"Oh, I'll show you excuses," she knocked him aside and went for the bowl. But tipping it over the skillet, she poured a little too much and batter filled half the pan. "Ah, dammit!"

"Hey," he caught her hand. "Language."

Eris's heart skipped.

Steve carefully tipped up her elbow and a little more batter went into the pan, making a small circle. He lowered her hand back down.

"There."

"Damn you, Spangles."

"You're welcome."

Eris turned to face him. Steve leaned back and shrugged nonchalantly, though his eyes glittered a little.

"I'm just saying."

"Well, let me tell you something—"

"What?"

Eris raised her jaw and stepped forward. But Steve reached past her and she heard the sound of a bag crinkling. Then he moved back and a puff of white made her choke. 

In surprise, she realized he'd flung a pinch of flour on her face. "Rogers!"

"Hold up," he stepped forward, looking down at her. She paused and his eyes softened. "You've got a little something on your nose."

"Oh, do I?"

"Stay still."

Eris didn't move nor breathe as he brushed it away. She stood a little higher on her toes, unclenching her fists. 

"Still there?"

"It's gone now."

"Oh," her voice dropped quieter. "Shame."

His eyes turned a little brighter, glowing with challenge. And a hint of anticipation. Eris's heart pounded a little harder.

"You know," a female voice drawled from behind them. "Public displays of affection make people very uncomfortable."

Steve swung around and Eris dropped down to the heels of her feet.

Natasha stood in the middle of the room, drying her red hair with a towel. She was smirking widely. "At least, that's what I've been told."

"You know what, Romanoff—"

Eris caught Steve's arm before he could make a move. He relaxed, but gave the woman a sharp and scolding look.

"I thought you were keeping watch."

"I was. Now I'm not. Fascinating how things change."

He glowered. She smirked.

"I'll take a scoop of eggs and two pancakes, extra syrup. Thanks."

Steve let out a long breath as the woman turned away, moving back into the bathroom. His cheeks were a little red when he turned back around. "So, uh—"

"Nuh-uh," Eris said, turning around to fill a plate with eggs. "No more throwing flour, Spangles."

She didn't hear his mumbled reply, but it made her grin. Only to swear once more and nearly drop her plate of food, scrambling for the oven controls. Because smoke was filling the air.

The pancakes were burning again.

~ ~ ~

There was no news from Bobbi yet, and no news from Wakanda. Whatever was happening there was enough to have closed down the entire city.

Right now, their group of four was on their own.

Eris studied the file on Khandil that T'Challa had sent them with. There wasn't much information on the man; he'd been a part of the Ten Rings for years. Sam had been the one to bring him in, but lost his wingman, Riley, in the process.

Under capture, Khandil had refused to say a word. He'd been placed in a secure prison called the Fridge until the fall of SHIELD, when he'd managed to escape.

The man hadn't been heard from since.

Until now, at least.

Natasha came into the living room and plopped onto the couch opposite her. Eris glanced up from the papers and looked around the apartment, suddenly aware of how silent it was.

It was never silent when Sam was around.

"Where are the others?"

"Out scoping the city," Natasha shrugged. "When you're with Steve, you learn he never takes a breath. Even in the moments of peace."

Eris smirked. "I find that easy to believe."

"It's nice, you know."

She raised a brow. Nat's green eyes danced with amusement.

"You and Steve."

Eris choked. She opened her mouth, but Natasha cut her off.

"Oh, don't," the woman leaned back. "You know, I spent my fair share of time trying to get that idiot to do something other than risk his life. Never really worked out."

"Believe me, I don't—"

"He's happier," Natasha said. Her voice was softer, this time. "I think your death broke him all over again, but then you woke up. And things are different now."

Eris sat back, looking down at her hands. A knot formed in her throat. "Yeah," she said. "Things are different."

She looked back down at the file in her lap. Khandil's scarred face gazed back at her.

Assets can have their uses, Captain, do you not agree?

"Come on," Natasha said suddenly. Eris looked sharply back up.

"What?"

"Those idiots don't get to have all the fun."

The woman pushed herself up and Eris set the file to the side, a dozen excuses already on her tongue. But one sharp look from green eyes made her swallow it. Natasha started toward her room.

"Grab a comm, a weapon, and something to cover your face with. And I don't wanna hear any complaints."

"Where are we going, exactly?"

"Into the city," Natasha slammed her door closed. "To do some scoping."

~ ~ ~

References:

"Public displays of affection make people very uncomfortable": A CA: Winter Soldier quote

A/N: Short chapter, yes, but I felt like this was a good place to end. Thoughts, comments? I feel like at this point, Steve and Eris are always going to get interrupted and I take full blame.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.6K 593 40
Resilience /rɪˈzɪl.jəns/: the ability to be happy again after something difficult or bad has happened. It only takes one small act to break someone'...
246K 6.2K 65
(Book 1 out of 2) "Who's crueler than a killer?" He is the Winter Soldier. She is everything people are scared of. And white is tainted with darknes...
150K 5.5K 45
❝ Every story needs a villain. ❞ Eris Schmidt was born during a time where the term 'Inhuman' wasn't known. During a time where she was a weapon to h...
385K 14.1K 40
Cassidy Martin didn't ask for any of this, and she doesn't want it. Her powers came to her by an accident, a fluke, and now they're threatening to r...