𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐂𝐀𝐍'𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐏...

By vintagerosepetal

'You can't help it this is just how we were taught to... More

foreword
a c t o n e
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
a c t t w o
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii*
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
xliv
xlv
xlvi
xlvii
xlviii
xlix
l
final word

xxv

20.4K 618 67
By vintagerosepetal

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE | the barmaid

As Lucie wandered back to Garrison Lane she could see hazed figures stood on the horizon. She couldn't tell who they were, whether it was carriages facing one another or thick smog enveloping the streets.

When she carried on she could hear voices, quiet shouts that swam to her ears. Once the smog cleared and Lucie wandered near to the voices she knew what she had walked straight into. Kimber was here. Tommy was stood opposite with the Peaky Blinders behind him.

Lucie tucked herself away in a doorway, with full view of the brawl about to play out. Tommy had instructed Polly to keep the girl indoors, however they both knew she wouldn't listen.

The cold air nipped at the girls fair skin, only her stained clothing around her body.  She was hidden behind Kimber's men, but she knew sooner or later a blinder would spot her and inform Thomas.

Although the one man who spotted her, never uttered a word to Thomas. He simply winked at her and held his finger to his lips. John. John knew that Lucie would want to watch their win against Kimber. So he swore her position to secrecy. Well that lasted 30 seconds before he poked Arthur's side and pointed towards the doorway Lucie head poked out of. She was met by a smile and a comedic small wave. Her only problem? One of Kimber's men had recognised her, and now Kimber knew she was there too.

Everything fell silent, Lucie could hear everyone's words almost perfectly, and Kimber shook her bones.

"It doesn't have to be like this Kimber." Tommy shouted, only to receive a scoff from Kimber.

"Too late for that." Kimber began, "You bit off more than you can chew you little toe rag and now I'm gonna take over this shithole. And I'll be doing that right after I take your little barmaid." Kimber's sickening laugh rings through the air running straight to Lucie.

She tried to open the door next to her but in never budged, she was too frightened to run away, they'd be able to hear a pin drop. Instead she pushed herself against the wall and covered her mouth.

She knew John and Arthur had seen her, she just waited and hoped they'd help her, however it wasn't the Shelby brothers who saved her. It was the Shelby sister.

Ada came sauntering past Lucie adorned in black, along with a small Karl in a black pram, Lucie turned her head to watch Ada walk straight into the middle of the fight. God this girl, balls bigger that Arthur's.

"I believe you boys call this no-mans land." Ada shouted, causing each man on both side to look utterly stunned at the woman in front of them.

"Ada!" Freddie shouted to the mother of his child, however it was like she didn't even recognise him.

"Shut up and listen." She shouted once more.

"Have you lost your mind?" Freddie shouted once more.

"She said shut up!" Lucie's shouted, catching everyone's attention. Thomas looked at her with a mix of shocked and anger, John and Arthur smiled at the girl and Kimber look at her like she was water and he was dying of thirst.

"Oh, so the barmaid appears." Kimber begins taking a step forward.

"I've got a name you know, I ain't just a barmaid." Lucie turned on her heels to face Kimber, the small dagger that was strapped onto her thigh now in her hand. John and Arthur still smirking as the watched the sweet innocent girl they'd met those years back become a ruthless, strong woman.

"Right Kimber, now that your fucking listening." Lucie started, staring at him fiercely. "Ada carry on."

"Right most of you were in France." Ada began, Lucie stared intently at Thomas who looked into her eyes quite astounded.

"What are you doing." Thomas hissed quietly to Lucie.

"The same thing you always do." Lucie whispered. "Taking care of the ones we love."

Lucie turned to face Ada who was finishing up her speech. But she could feel that something was wrong, she couldn't explain the feeling, but she just knew.

"She's right you know. Why should all you men die. It should just be the who caused it." Kimber's words fell from his mouth as the gun was pulled straight from his holster and fired.

Ada and Lucie ran from 'no-mans land' and watched the fight unfold. Lucie could see the wounded man led on the floor. Danny Wiz-Bang. She could see Thomas stumble ever so slightly, curled into himself.

It was as if time slowed, it felt like an eternity until Thomas pulled himself up straight. The gun emerging from his side. One slow yet swift motion, the bullet flew from Thomas' gun and straight into Kimber's head. Now he lay flat on the ground, time had resumed.

"Enough." Thomas shouted, all of Kimber's men watching him with fear.

"Kimber and me fought this battle one on one. It's over, go home to your families." The men stood shocked, looking down at their fallen leader once more, before gingerly walking away from the Peaky Blinders.

Lucie looked around and saw Sargent Moss, he looked at her with disgust before walking away with speed. She knew exactly who he was reporting too, and she wanted to get their first.

Lucie ducked away from the scene that had recently unfolded and began to sprit down back streets, determined to get to Campbell and give him an ear full.

She reached the doors of the police station and busts through, greeted by two officers who she had planned to ignore.

"Where do you think you're going pretty lady?" One officer asked, hunger fringing from his words.

"Campbell wants me, should that be a problem Sir?" Lucie batted her eyelids and smiled, charming the officers who let her through without hesitation.

When she reached Campbell's office, Moss was stood outside, listening to the voices inside.

"Moss." Lucie spat.

"Peaky Whore." He replied.

The door to Campbell's office opened, as Grace was met by the unlikely pair. Lucie turned her face, not wanting to see Grace once more.

"This isn't the last of me, whore." Grace whispered, "I'll see you before you know it."

"Next time you see me I'll be on a man's arm, a man you wanted. Look who won this time." Lucie pushed past Grace and into Campbell's office.

He was shocked, but pleased to see Lucie, the same sickening grin on his face. He never spoke, inside he just stared at her.

"I have one thing to say to you." Lucie began. "You leave the Peaky Blinders alone, or else you'll be lying next to Kimber with a hole in your head."

"Well, Thomas will be lying right next to me." He replied coolly.

"Don't forget Little Lucie, I know everything."

"Don't forget who I run with, and one day, soon. We'll run straight over you." Lucie turned and walked straight out of the police office, the previous officers watching her every move.

By the time Lucie arrived at the Garrison, she could hear the roar of a pained man. Once she pushed through the door she could see a small crowd of men sat around the screaming soldier.

There sat Thomas, Jeremiah digging into his chest, his shouts never wavering. She stumbled towards him, pushing past two lesser ranking Blinders to see him.

She placed a hand on his shoulder to let him know she was there, however, he removed her hand hastily. Shocking Lucie a reasonable amount. So she moved away, back into the main bar, listening to Thomas' cried come to a halt and the small clink of the bullet dropping into water.

"Get Luce." Thomas coughed to Arthur, who stood up and came into the main room.

"He wants you, Love." Arthur began, "He always will."

Lucie smiled and walked back into the private room, coming closer to Thomas, sweat drilling from his skin. He outstretched his hand towards her, in turn, she outstretched hers.

He held on tightly, moving her hand to his cheek, his hand still clinging on. As Lucie looked down at Thomas he gave her a pained smile. Yet still a smile, something Thomas rarely produced. It tugged at her heart strings harshly.

"Have a drink, is Tom." Arthur handed the bottle to Tommy, watching him take a swig before taking the bottle back. "This'll hurt, Tom."

Arthur poured the alcohol onto Thomas' bullet wound making him squeeze Lucie's hand tightly, whilst he let out an animalistic cry. Lucie used her free hand to run her fingers through his hair whilst he was getting treated, occasionally planting a small kiss on the top of his head.

"Everyone get out!" Thomas seethed once Jeremiah was finished.

Some Peaky boys scrambled out of the private room quickly. John and Arthur lingered before they left, each of them smiling at Lucie before shutting the door.

"That includes you." Thomas sighed, leaning back in his seat. "Get out, Lucie."

"Tommy? Is everything okay?" Lucie asked in disbelief.

"I said get out." He hissed through gritted teeth.

"Where's my Tommy gone, hey?" Lucie scoffed, "The one who talked about marriage while we poured whiskey and dark mild?"

The two looked at each other in silence, everyone in the Garrison ceased their talking to eavesdrop on Lucie and Tommy's conversation.

"Just get out." Thomas whispered.

Lucie obliged, slamming the door behind her. All the Peaky boys were now staring at her. "Got something to say to me, Lads?" She snapped.

Danny Whiz-Bang was dead.

Everyone had gathered round the table where he lay, Polly had hold of Karl, whilst Ada curled into her husbands chest. Only a few Blinders were gathered round. Arthur and John looked visibly pained and they stood over Danny.

Lucie was stood beside Thomas, she didn't want to clutch onto him like Ada did to Freddie. Truth be told, after Jeremiah stitches and Thomas' explosion at her, telling her to leave him alone. She didn't particularly know how to feel at this moment in time.

Running and hugging Arthur and John made her grateful for knowing the Shelbys. Even if it meant dealing with Thomas' post war mood changes, but she knew he couldn't help it.

So now she stood beside Arthur and Thomas, quite awkwardly, until Arthur moved to close Danny's eyes, then moving more towards John than Lucie. Leaving her stood next to Thomas, not wanting to get too close for comfort in case he exploded once more.

Everyone began to say memories they had of Danny Wiz-Bang, many earned roars of laughter. But when Freddie spoke of the day Danny came into the pub flipping tables, everyone laughed, but Lucie cried.

She didn't know Danny all too well, but the way that man apologised to her every time he saw her after that day, always made her heart melt.
Thomas saw Lucie shed a few tears and slowly moved closer to her, taking her by surprise when he unexpectedly wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her into him.

"I can't help it sometimes." He whispered.

"I know, it's okay." Lucie whispered softly, smiling at him through glassy eyes.

Arthur turned to face everybody, a glass gripped in his hand.

"To Danny Wiz-Bang, may we all die twice." Arthur roared.

"Danny!" Everyone responded.

The Garrison was alive with chatter and laughter, Lucie looked around to see Ada and Freddie in ignorant bliss, Arthur in love with his drink, John and Esme giggling like teenagers in love.

Lucie sat on a small round table alone, well not entirely alone. She was bouncing little Karl on her knee whilst he giggled and shrieked loudly. As she played with the young boy, Polly watched with Thomas next to her.

"Look at her, Thomas." Polly began, "What took you so fucking long to realise how great she is." Polly smacked the back of his head jokingly.

"I don't know Aunt Pol, she's got me." Thomas replied, blowing out the smoke from his cigarette.

"She'll make a good mother Tom, just look at her." Polly smiled.

And so did Tommy.

He walked over to the table and sat down by Lucie, bringing one arm round her waist, and the other, tickling Karl. Lucie looked towards Thomas and smiled, resting her head on his shoulder.

"How're you feeling?" Lucie asked politely.

"I'll be alright." Thomas replied, taking Karl from Lucie's lap and placing him in his own.

"For once everyone is okay." Lucie laughed.

"It'll only last for the night, Love." He replied.

Lucie leant up and connected their lips, smiling into the kiss.

"Well it's about time." Thomas laughed.

Lucie swatted him.

"What time do you call this?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

483K 9.5K 42
"She is kind, heart made of honey. He is reserved, the opposite of sunny. No one would ever think they would be together. But they are the moon and...
178K 5.6K 17
𝐂𝐎𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐒𝐄 | ❝ I'm with the Shelby's, you lot are always in trouble. ❞ ━ IN WHICH Sylvette Taylor returns home after nearly twe...
1.1M 28.9K 93
"Realising how fucking beautiful you are suddenly sobered me up" Anna Smith, the girl who was brought up in a tiny village, sheltered naively from al...
2M 46.9K 51
Because every girl needs their own prince charming, but some girls need their own birmingham gangster. •BOOK ONE COMPLETED• •SEASON ONE- SEASON TWO...