The Ex

By EmRatosss

|| Wattpad Featured || The Amby Awards Romance Winner ❤️ The perfect man just proposed and what was my answer... More

CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

974 50 25
By EmRatosss

"I meant, we were always good at arguing," I murmur in a voice so husky it sounds foreign to my ears. He offers no response to my explanation, his piercing gaze holds mine. "It's a miracle we didn't end up killing each other," I continue breathlessly, in an attempt to jokingly diffuse the intensity between us. It doesn't work. The air around us remains charged.

I feel warm; flushed even. My heart thumps in my chest as he leans further over the table. My body instinctively follows, stopping when my waist reaches the obstacle between us. With our faces inches apart, his stare drops to my lips. Ethan is going to kiss me and I want him to; need him to. I lick my bottom lip in anticipation. His dark eyes slide back to mine; whatever he sees in their depths encourages him to move closer. I hold my breath as he begins to close the short distance between us.

The sound of someone clearing their throat breaks us from our moment. Leaning back into my seat, I reluctantly slide my eyes towards the source of the noise. Betty offers me a friendly smile. The loud chatter of the surrounding customers, the aroma of baked goods, and the busy cafe come back into focus. Telling myself to breathe, I give her a smile that I hope isn't tinged with guilt and embarrassment. "Betty, hi!"

"Hey, Charlotte," her attention shifts to Ethan and then back to me. The subtle raise of her brows and tight-lipped smile tells me that the strain in my voice and the flush in both our cheeks has not gone unnoticed.

"This is Ethan, the best man." I gesture towards him. "Ethan, this is Betty. Baker extraordinaire and owner of this amazing establishment."

"Hi, Ethan," Betty says warmly.

I look at Ethan expectantly.

His blank stare drops when he realizes our attention is on him. Clearing his throat, he forms an easy smile, "pleasure to meet you, Betty."

I'm obviously not the only one affected by what almost happened.

"We studied at the Culinary Institute together for four years." I avoid his stare as I say this.

"That feels like a lifetime ago," Betty says nostalgically.

"It's been eight whole years," I say, stating the obvious. How much time has passed since Ethan and I almost kissed? Two whole minutes. I take a steadying breath and tell myself to keep calm. The cheeky smirk on Ethan's lips when I glance his way has my heart racing all over again. Concerned that he has gained the ability to read minds, I turn all my attention back to Betty, "the bride and groom can't make it so the maid of honor and best man are here to save the day."

My voice is too cheery, my words too rushed, my mind still hazy from the almost-kiss.

"You are both so considerate." She says with a wink as she reaches to the center of the table and places a wooden board between us, "here we have all the tasting flavors."

I feel my eyes widen in shock as I comprehend the assortment of cake slices, each of varying colors. How did I not notice she was carrying a plate of heaven that entire time? It would have nothing to do with the man opposite me. The same man that currently looks at me as though I'm the thing he wants to indulge in.

"......and that last one is hummingbird."

I look to Betty as I catch the end of her sentence. I nod in acknowledgment and thank her, pretending as though I heard her every word.

"Let me know which flavors you guys decide on. Enjoy!" Placing two spoons on the table, her high blonde ponytail sways as she turns and makes her way back to her post behind the counter.

Glancing at the glass display, I notice the variety of cakes, cupcakes, and biscuits for the first time since entering. Although this place is my idea of paradise, I'm overwhelmed with the sudden urge to flee. My awareness of Ethan is too heightened, the emotion too raw. I don't trust him to keep his hands to himself and, worst of all, I'm not entirely sure I can trust myself to. Clutching the spoon closest to me, I dig into the first delectable slice, deciding that getting this done quickly is best. I roll my eyes in ecstasy the second the rich chocolate flavor reaches my tongue.

"That good, huh?" Ethan's words bring me back to reality.

"Literal perfection," I respond as I reach for a second helping.

"Damn, that is good," he voices as he takes a bite of his own. "I think we already have a winner."

"You also can't go wrong with vanilla," I say after a mouthful.

"True, but it's too regular for a wedding."

I nod in agreement, "the marble is interesting."

"Interesting in a good way or bad?" he asks as he tries it for himself.

"I'm definitely into it," I smile contently at the third helping on my spoon.

His smile brightens as he studies me, "of course you are."

"I'd insult you but my mouth is occupied," I say as I stuff red velvet cake into my mouth.

His shoulders move with his small laugh. "This banana cake has nothing on yours," he states between mouthfuls. "It will always be my favorite."

"You did eat an entire cake to yourself," I declare as I take a short break from inhaling the sweet goodness in front of me.

"That was one time." He continues at the sight of my pursed lips and narrow eyes, "and it was over two days."

"You didn't even leave me one piece." A burst of deep laughter sounds from his chest. I can't help it, I laugh with him. "You're such a jerk."

"That was a jerk move." He agrees once his laughter dies down. I'm onto the hummingbird cake when he asks, "how are you, Charlotte? How are things?"

The seriousness in his tone and the furrow of his brow has me pausing. "Things are pretty great," I answer generally. I couldn't exactly tell him that although my business was thriving, my personal life had recently hit a standstill. "How about you? How's England?"

"Pretty great," he repeats my words with a nod, his grey eyes examining. "You seem happy."

"I'm happier than I've been in a long time," I say honestly. Deciding that now is a perfect time to form a truce, I put my spoon down. "Ethan, about everything that has happened between us-" I pause and consider my words, "I don't want it to get in the way of Sophie and Liam's big day."

"I agree," he nods and breaks eye contact. When he finally looks back at me, I'm shocked to see sadness in his eyes. His furrowed brow and serious expression have my heart in my throat. Whatever he's about to say isn't going to be good. "Char, I know things didn't end well but I-"

"Ethan, let's not go there," I immediately interrupt with the shake of my head. I'm not ready to talk about the end. Given the effort it is taking to contain my emotions, I doubt that I ever will be. With a shaky breath, I continue, "I think it's best that we put the past behind us, and be civil."

At my words, defeat clouds his features. With downcast eyes, he crosses his arms. "If that's really what you want, then fine." The clench of his jaw demonstrates the effort it is taking for him to swallow his words.

"I think it's for the best." We sit in awkward silence for a moment. I glance to my right and catch Betty's attention. Her green eyes sparkle as she grins at me. I return the gesture and give her a thumbs-up although everything about this situation has me wanting to break down.

"We could try and be friends."

Lowering my thumb, my gaze returns to Ethan. I feel my eyes widen at his words.

"Friends?" I repeat the foreign word out loud. Surely I hadn't heard him correctly.

He nods in response and folds his hands on the table before us, his face devoid of emotion.

I mask my shock with a closed-mouth smile. Ignoring the voice in my head warning me that this is a horrible idea, I shrug my shoulder and say, "of course we can." We can be the type of pals who keep their distance and never speak unless forced to at social gatherings. That is the only type of friendship Ethan and I could ever have. That is the only type of friendship I could endure.

Completely oblivious to my inner thoughts, he exhales a long breath and he returns my smile. "We can start this friendship by getting a coffee to wash down all these delicious cakes," he gestures to the now-empty board in front of us.

Evidently, we have a different definition of friendship. Do I want to prolong this emotional torture? No. Was the vulnerability in Ethan's eyes having me reconsider? Yes.

I swallow my apprehension and go against my instinct, "sure, coffee sounds great." The smile that lights up his devastatingly handsome face has my heart pounding harder. The last time I saw that smile was long before we fell apart. Ignoring my heart-wrenching memories, I motion to the table and ask, "what's your vote?"

"I know you've already settled on chocolate but I also really liked the red velvet." My incredulous look has him adding, "oh come on, don't act like you hadn't decided on chocolate before you even tried the cake."

Ignoring his remark and the unsettling fact that he still knows me too well, I roll my eyes at him. His grin widens in response.

"I know Sophie wants four tiers so it can alternate between chocolate and red velvet so they get the best of both flavors. I'm thinking a cream cheese frosting would be amazing."

"Sounds perfect," he agrees.

I can't help the thought that crosses my mind; this would have been our choice had we actually made it down the aisle. I watch as his smile falls when he makes the same realization. Clearing his throat, he breaks the uncomfortable silence. "We just compromised without a fight, this is a rare occurrence."

I plaster a fake grin on my face and decide to postpone my forthcoming meltdown, "I guess this is what happens when we're friends."

"I guess so," he responds with an equally fake smile.

Our silent appraisal of one another is interrupted by the ringing of Ethan's cell. He reaches for it and glances at the screen, "I'm sorry, I have to take this."

I think about how many times I've heard him say that; how many times I thought nothing of it when in reality, there had always been something.

"No problem, I'll tell Betty what we settled on." Collecting my bag, I make my way to the counter and allow Ethan some privacy. His business no longer involves me. I ignore the ache in my chest that this recognition causes; convey our decision to Betty and thank her.

"Anytime Charlotte. Besides, I expect to see you for your cake tasting very soon."

I pause and look at her with wide eyes.

"Tell Paul I said that it was about time he popped the question," she continues with a wink.

Of course, she had been referring to Paul and not the man that just walked out of the shop. "Will do," I respond with a half-hearted smile. Although the news of our break hasn't reached her, I can't bring myself to tell her the truth. After sharing goodbyes and promises to catch up, I welcome the noise of the busy street as I step onto the sidewalk.

Spotting Ethan on the curb, I take a moment and observe his broad shoulders, lean waist, and long legs. His clean-cut looks and dark navy suit is a reminder that he does the buttoned-up businessman look very well. Although his stance is casual, the tension in his wide shoulders is anything but.

"I'm sorry but something has come up," Ethan states the second I reach him. The hard tone in his voice throws me off. Despite his attempt to remain impassive, his tight lips and clenched jaw radiate anger.

"Is everything okay?" I state in concern.

"It will be," he signals a taxi and it stops directly before him. "I guess I'll see you around." Without a backward glance, he opens the door and seats himself in the back.

"I guess so. Goodb-" He slams the door before I get the chance to finish my sentence. Standing wide-eyed on the side of the road, I watch him leave for a second time with my heart in his grasp.

The realization that I will never get it back almost kills me.

Thank you for reading The Ex: Chapter thirteen!
Please comment to let me know what you think and vote if you enjoyed it :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.7K 205 35
WARNING: (FIRST BOOK I WROTE ON HERE) *I do not own the pictures in this book I wrote* (Heavy Editing!) +18 🔞 Mature Content Trigger Warning ✦✦✦✦✦...
795K 13.9K 82
Two best friends are realising that they aren't kids anymore, and they have desires that need to be fulfilled. So who better to experiment with than...
38.1K 2.8K 62
Marrying a straight person isn't good at all. But falling in love with a straight person is it wrong? Having crush on him for several years is it a c...
40.2K 2.2K 60
#1- believe (23/12/2020) #4 - MysteryRomance Hello everyone, My story "UnFading love" has been shortlisted for Wattpad India Awards 2020. If you like...