𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐂𝐀𝐍'𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐏...

By vintagerosepetal

'You can't help it this is just how we were taught to... More

foreword
a c t o n e
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
a c t t w o
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii*
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
xliv
xlv
xlvi
xlvii
xlviii
xlix
l
final word

xiv

23K 710 197
By vintagerosepetal

CHAPTER FOURTEEN | do you resign?

Lucie was back in The Garrison. She had yet to open the presents she received yesterday, once she arrived home she went straight to sleep, forgetting about the gifts. She'll open them soon enough.

Arthur owned the pub now. Lucie couldn't have been happier for him. He'd made the job the merriest it could be. He kept Lucie employed as the barmaid, 'been here so long, can't get rid of you now.'

Grace however, Tommy employed her. Arthur says he's taking a shine to her. Lucie had realised by now that she loved the man. Plain and simple. Polly and Arthur has caught on a long time ago. The day Lucie first met them, they could see the sparkle in her blue doe eyes when she saw Thomas.

Arthur could see the way Lucie's hands would shake when Thomas spoke to Grace. He could see her knuckles whiten as her grip became tighter on whatever she was holding. It hurt Polly to know that the girl was being tangled into Thomas' web. She knew of the two occasions Thomas had stayed with Lucie. When he stayed with her after Cheltenham too, all those things made Lucie wish something would happen. Made Polly hope her nephew would realise how good the girl in front of him really was.

"Morning Arthur." Lucie beamed throughly the pub.

"Alright Luce, you have a nice birthday?" Arthur shouted from his small office at the side of the pub. Lucie made her way into the room to meet Arthur, the pub was closed this morning, so she'd needn't worry about men badgering her for more drinks.

"Considering four people remembered it, it wasn't too bad." Lucie laughed as Arthur rose to embrace the girl.

"You like the present?" Arthur questioned as he hugged the girl.

"Haven't opened them yet, I'll do it after my shift." Lucie laughed.

"You're having a drink after work Lucie, with me and Pol. Eh?" Lucie agreed with out a second thought. Arthur never told her that everyone would be their, with more presents to celebrate her birthday.

The day in the Garrison when by speedily, without Grace being in today made Lucie feel like it was 1919 when she first began work. When the day was drawing to a close and the end of Lucie shift was looming, Arthur asked her to empty the buckets out back. Lucie happily did so, however Arthur only asked her so he could sneak all the Shelby's into the private room, as well as two more friendly faces.

Once Lucie had returned from outside, everyone had left. All the men and women drinking in the pub had scattered, and the doors were locked. Lucie could hear faint whispers from the private room, and shadows were cast on the windows. She untied her her apron and folded it onto the bar, readying to open the private room door. She could already tell that there were more than just Arthur and Polly drinking tonight.

When Lucie opened the door she was treated with the view of all those she loved. The words Happy Birthday practically slapped her in the face. Look around she smiled at each individual.

Arthur. Polly. John. Little Finn. Thomas.

Lucie laughed heartily, she was like a giddy child, they were here!

"How on God's good earth did you Shelby's get in here?" Lucie laughed as she squeezed in between John and Finn, pulling the little boy into her lap.

Arthur pulled out a bag from his inside pocket. It was small yet intriguing. Arthur moved it towards her, Lucie watched everyone's expressions, smiling brightly at the girl, besides Thomas, although a hint of a smile was there.

"It's not much Luce but, I wanted to give it you for all your help round here, since you know Grace stopped coming." Arthur's words were sweet as he smiled at the girl.

Lucie looked in the bag to see a sheet of paper, a contract, from Shelby Brothers Limited. As she read down the paper she couldn't believe it. Arthur was offering her ten percent of the Garrison earnings.

"Arthur are you fucking kidding me! I'd be able to fix up my house, buy more than just my one dress. Arthur I can't — I can't believe it." Lucie was a loss for words she almost started crying.

"You deserve it, Love." John chimed. "Which reminds me." John dug in his pocket to pull out a unseal large envelope, which he handed to Lucie.

"Just a bit, for everything you've done for my kids." John put his arm around Lucie and kissed her temple.

"John I - I cant accept this." Lucie choked.

"Yes you can. Look, we all know how much you've been struggling and now, we wanted to help, we needed to appreciate you, and we do. So it's jut a little something for you." Lucie loved them all so much. She let a few tears escape her ice blue eyes. In this moment, they were her family.

Polly swapped places with John, sitting next to the girl, Arthur had gone to get drinks for everybody. Whiskey for the boys and.... whiskey for the ladies, water for Finn obviously.

"Lucie this is off me, and Finn wanted to give you this." Polly handed Lucie a drawing of Lucie holding Finn's hand. there was someone else holding Lucie's hand as well.

"It's lovely Finn, who's this?" Lucie pointed to the taller drawn man holding Lucie's hand in the picture. Finn giggled and points towards Tommy.

"It's Tommy!" Finn giggled and bounced in Lucie's lap.

Lucie blushed, and looked towards Tommy, how smirked at Lucie and moved closer to her, he picked up Finn from her lap and placed him on his, looking at the picture he drew.

"Well done Finn, you'll have to draw me one." Tommy smiled at his younger brother. The young boy giggled and moved back to his Aunt Pol, but Tommy stayed close to Lucie.

Lucie picked up the small gift wrapped in paper, unwrapping it messily, it was an outfit. Lucie saw in Polly's wardrobe once. She had taken a shine to it the day she saw it. It was plain, but beautiful. A blouse, with a small collar, a skirt to accompany it too, it was a pleated burnt red that reached her ankles, however Polly had it taken up a little. It was all accompanied with a burnt red cardigan.

"Pol! I can't believe you're giving this to me." Lucie squealed pulling Polly into a hug.

"Well I don't wear it, Love, it's made for you." Polly laughed and pulled out a cigarette.

"Thank you everyone, really. It's been the best birthday." Lucie was the happiest she had ever been. They stayed in the merriment for a little longer, until Finn fell asleep in Lucie's lap.

"Right well we'd best get going, we'll see you tomorrow, Love." Polly spoke for the group collectively, as she took a sleeping Finn from Lucie.

"I'll stay for a while, Luce." A voice came from beside her. Tommy. Who had moved directly next to Lucie. Polly smirked, she knew why Thomas was staying, he'd told her.

Once everyone had left, Lucie packed her presents into a basket that Polly had left for her. Tommy lit a cigarette, watching the girl.

When Lucie sat back once again, she was too flushed to look at him. She could see the smoke from his cigarette dance in front of her. They sat in silence whilst Tommy finished his cigarette.

"Happy birthday." Were the first words Thomas spoke to the girl.

"Thank you." Her reply was short as she downed the rest of her whiskey.

"Would you like your present?" Tommy whispered into Lucie's ear, making all her hairs stand on end and her skin light on fire. Tommy kept his face near Lucie's ear.

Having Tommy so close made her heart flutter and her lips tremble. She could smell his intoxicating sent. Whiskey and cigarettes but he made it work. She felt high off of him.

He pulled out a box and an envelope. These shelby's and their envelopes. He pushed the suspicious envelope infront of Lucie, but held on to the box.

Her fingers shook as she picked it up. Frightened of what might be inside. It was a small slip of paper. But it was blank. She flipped it to see an address scrawled across it.

𝟼 𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚛𝚢𝚖𝚊𝚒 𝚛𝚘𝚊𝚍

𝚝𝚘𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚛𝚘𝚠 𝟿 𝚊𝚖

"It's Ada's present, her address." Tommy chimed, so Lucie could understand the note, which she quickly slipped into her pocket.

Thomas pushes the little black box across the table with one finger. He left it in front of Lucie, so she could open it. Her heart was racing, Thomas had actually bought her a present. The box opened in a swift motion.

A crystal blue heart on a silver chain. The blue looked just like Tommy's eyes. She loved it. It was so simplistic but so thoughtful. Looking back at Thomas, Lucie could see a hint of pink on his cheeks. A small smile on his lips as he watched the girl.

"So you like it?" Tommy questioned, sounding slightly worried.

"Like it? Fucking love it, Tommy! I can't believe it." Lucie wrapped her arms around his neck, Pulling him into a tight hug, high she regretted immediately.

"Mr. Shelby, I'm sorry." Lucie spoke timidly as she detached herself.

"We're back to Mr Shelby now, eh? Fair enough since." Tommy took a drag from his cigarette, leaving Lucie in suspense.

"We want to officially employ you as a Garrison barmaid. You'll get more pay and choose your own hours." Lucie was stunned. He wanted her to work for them? Really?

"You're offering me a job, I already do?" Lucie questioned.

Tommy scoffed lightly at Lucie's naivety, she understood and decided to answer before she could even think about it.

"Then I accept." Even the words Lucie spoke shocked her, but she wanted to.

"There's something else you should know." Tommy began, stubbing out his cigarette turning to face Lucie, sitting within close proximity of her.

"A very important detail about my reasons for employing you." Tommy looking deep into her doe eyes, falling deeper.

Lucie's mind swirled with possibilities, was he dying? Are his brothers dying? Is Pol dying? Is she dying? But everything soon became clear.

Tommy brought his hand to Lucie's cheek, moving a piece of hair as he did so, his face followed suit, coming straight for Lucie. Her eyes fluttered closed and her heart raced.

Tommy connected their lips.

Just for a few seconds.

It was something Lucie never wanted to loose, that feeling.

Tommy pulled away slowly, keeping his hand on her cheek for a brief second, stroking her cheek whilst he looked into her eyes. Lucie looked into his ocean eyes. That's when she realised how deep she'd fallen.

Tommy moves his hand away and looked straight ahead, Lucie doing the same. She longed for his lips against hers again, or his rough palm resting upon her cheek.

"Do you resign?" Tommys voice wasn't harsh, but husky and hinted with worry.

"No." Lucie couldn't stop the smile that spread on her face.

"My appetite for the work has only increased."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

484K 9.5K 42
"She is kind, heart made of honey. He is reserved, the opposite of sunny. No one would ever think they would be together. But they are the moon and...
20.1K 291 16
Since she was young, Mollie May was always taught to think for herself and to fight for herself. Now that she's older, the same rules apply. After mo...
665K 22.3K 42
"Don't care if he's guilty, Don't care if he's not; He's good and he's bad, And he's all that I've got." She grew up watching them, fearing them. A...
2.7M 37.5K 115
*UNDER EDITING* Imagines for your favourite Shelby family (and Alfie!)