False Obsession Turned Real

By TwelveTurquoise12

"Bree... Do you like Conner? 'Cause you always look at him." "W-what? No. It's not what you think." . . . Bre... More

Preview!!
➳ Profile: Fred Hayford
➳ Profile: Danielle Rowland
I. SOMETHING NEW
1. School Life Just Got Better
2. Two Heads Are Better Than One
3. You On Sugar High?
4. Suspicious, Very Suspicious
5. Just Observing
6. False Obsession Turned Real
7. Crush or be Crushed
8. The Other Side of the Coin
9. I Like Hugging the Floor
II. BURIED SECRETS
11. The Worst Liar
12. In My Blood
13. Get Over It
Ship Discussion | 18/8/2020
New Cover! | 10/12/2020
Picrew of Characters | 26/2/2021
Fred and Alex art | 28/11/2021
Not an Update but the closest thing to one (24/8/2022)

10. Bittersweet

1.8K 41 350
By TwelveTurquoise12

Disclaimer: I don't own anything you recognize.

***

A/N: Again, I'm sORRY because I have no control over the characters. They just decided to jump out of whatever plans I created for them. I would like to stress the importance of the note at the beginning of Ch 2.

Also, it snows where they live. This is not true in canon, but considering the location of their neighbourhood in the Otherworld does not hold much significance, I'm going to change canon.

Mentions of mild language, but it's not too serious.

***

"Aww look! Conner, you were so cute as a kid!"

Fred pointed to a photo of a young Conner making faces in front of the camera. Conner's face was comically scrunched up, his little tongue stuck out.

"Huh, are you saying I'm not cute anymore?" Conner retorted.

Alex rolled her eyes. "Yeah, you're totally not cute now."

"Wow! You two are such meanies!" Conner half-whined, but as Fred cackled, the tension was quickly resolved.

The trio were, once again, hanging out at Fred's house. They had decided to take a look at some of their old photos, and in doing so, they sunk back into a warm pit of childhood nostalgia.

"Hey! That's when we were role playing!" Conner pointed to a picture. A young Conner and Fred, with gigantic grins on their faces, were dueling each other with wooden sticks. They were dressed in cardboard armour. Alex was on the side, also laughing, holding what looked like a star wand in her hand.

"I remember that!" Alex said, delighted. "I was the fairy. I was trying to play mediator between you two."

"We were fighting over the lands," Fred chuckled. "And the throne. Which was basically a tree house."

"C'mon, that tree house was great!" Conner said enthusiastically. "It had a rope ladder and a banner! It was definitely worth fighting for."

"Conner, if you burst into singing 'A Girl Worth Fighting For', I'll never forgive you," Alex teased.

"Just so you know, I'm done with randomly singing Mulan songs," Conner deadpanned.

"Yeah, wouldn't want to embarrass yourself in front of Bree again," Fred commented casually, too casually.

Alex shot Fred a look. Fred ignored her.

...Weird. Recently Fred seemed to had taken to ignoring Alex.

An interesting shade of red mounted on Conner's cheeks. "Well yeah, t-that was one of the Top Ten Worst Moments Of My Life. It was very stupid of me," he laughed to ease his nerves.

Both Alex and Fred awkwardly laughed along, knowing full well what his mortification was about.

Alex continued to flip through the pages, as memories of simpler and more innocent times flitted into her mind. That was when her father was still alive, and she and Conner were practically fed with fairy tales every day. Alex remembered wanting to be a fairy so she could fly and help people with her magic. And ironic how now, she knew she had real fairy blood running through her veins. She could probably do magic if she wanted to.

Once upon a time, she wielded a paper wand, enthusiastically chanting arbitrary words in hopes of casting a spell. Now, she had actual knowledge and proof that she was related to a fairy, the famous Fairy Godmother. Sometimes, Alex wished she didn't know about her supposed magical abilities. Knowing they existed yet being able to do nothing, nothing about it was absolutely painful. Her eyes focused on the glittery pink star that was taped on top of the "magic wand". How much did she want to run to her old self and tell her, with joy, that magic was real! But with her grandmother being virtually cut off from her, it seemed like the reality of magic had also vanished into nothing. Leaving nothing behind except old storybooks, fond memories and a twin.

"Yo! Alex!"

Alex blinked. Fred was snapping his fingers in front of her face.

"You were spacing out," Fred continued.

"...Oh! Sorry about that." Alex smiled apologetically and returned to the photo album.

It was a pity how she and Conner didn't have pictures of their time in the Land of Stories. Everything would be so much better, with at least tangible record of the wonderful people they'd met and the beautiful scenery they'd witnessed.

But Conner had his stories.

That was almost all they had.

And somehow, with his knack for words and talent for vivid descriptions, Alex felt everything was going to be okay.

***

Fred could feel things changing.

The Bailey Twins had always been close, but after their father's unfortunate death, and especially their abrupt disappearance last year, they seemed to stick to each other more.

And in the summer, Fred could gradually see that the twins seemed happier. Conner bounded around with more energy. And Alex... Alex lit up like one of those Christmas lights. She was still quiet and reserved, but she smiled more, as if she had some secret knowledge to the happiness of life itself.

And there was something endearing about that.

His heart burst with warmth and his stomach twisted in that wonderfully awful way.

Fred wasn't stupid. Despite never having really experienced it before, he knew what he was feeling. It was fun to flirt with other girls and get them all riled up and bathe in the attention, but it was somehow... different with Alex. It was softer, fonder. It felt bashful, but it felt lasting, long-term, unlike the hot white sparks he'd shared with other people.

Fred somehow felt it was wrong to see Alex in that way. She was one of his best friends and his other best friend's sister. Alex was special. She was out of bounds.

But Fred had never had much impulse control anyway, and he couldn't stop his feelings from overflowing.

Fred remembered when they were seven and Alex won her first spelling bee. She'd run to him and Conner screaming, looking uncharacteristically animated. Fred vaguely recalled how she'd grabbed both of their hands then leapt up and down, face flushed with excitement. Then they were nine and Alex was dragging them to watch Harry Potter with her (Fred didn't want to read the books despite the overwhelming opinion that the books were better). And then they grew up and as Fred and Conner found friends of their own, Alex was still there, loitering by the side. Alex gradually enclosed herself in a shell, only opening up to those close to her. And somehow, Fred had always unconsciously looked out for her, making sure she wasn't bullied or too sad or whatever. They were friends! It was perfectly normal to look out for her, except maybe Fred noticed Alex's geekiness and intellect and quick wit and kindness a little too much.

Then Mr. Bailey's death.

Suddenly the twins fell into a black abyss.

Suddenly Fred's world turned upside down and people around him were forced to go through rocky roads they weren't supposed to take at this age.

And Fred was so stupidly helpless, he didn't know what to do, he didn't know what he could do. He hadn't experienced their pain and grief. He didn't want to seem like he was offering fake sympathy. He didn't want to come off as patronizing. So many emotions welled up inside of him but his lips were bland and dry. His best friends were hurting and he could just watch.

His heart ached and his vision blurred with tears, but he thought it would be selfish for him to cry as he didn't lose a loved one, so he kept it all in.

Then he realized maybe he didn't need to say anything after all.

He just provided a shoulder for them to cry on and all three of them collapsed into a glorious, sobbing, heartbroken mess. It was awful, with endless runny noses and sniffling and hot tears, but it was also intensely cathartic.

Fred watched as the Bailey family struggled against the odds and pull themselves up again. He watched as Conner cracked more jokes. He watched as Alex devoted herself to her studies and practically devoured books almost as if to honour her late father. Fred knew they would weather through this storm. A great relief flooded him. He could feel his bond with the twins tightening. Nothing could destroy their friendship, even if they were worlds apart. The three of them were inseparable.

Fred had always cared for Alex. And recently, not quite in the same way he cared for Conner. He'd noticed her when not a lot of people did. Alex was the quiet bookworm, the model student, the exasperated but loving sister, the shy girl who always nervously tucked her hair behind her headband. Fred didn't want some gorgeous lady with a charming personality or whatever. Sure, he flirted with girls plenty because it was fun, and it wasn't like they would take him seriously. Besides, his classmates all thought he was a playboy and had zero commitment. And Fred still felt really weird for having non-platonic thoughts about Alex, so he tried to distract himself (he failed).

Somehow, Alex, just by being who she was, had wormed her way into his heart.

And Fred just wished it would die down.

He'd let it slip during the ice skating incident. He was honestly just trying his best to be a good friend, but there was that lingering voice in the back of his mind whispering "she knows, everyone knows".

For someone who has a huge flirt, he sure was hesitating a lot when it came to pursuing Alex.

But Fred thought it was for the better. He didn't want to accidentally ruin both of his precious friendships. It just wasn't worth the risk.

So for now, he would keep his feelings under lock and key.

***

The chilly wind blew through Bree's hair. She was thankful for her beanie, which kept her head warm and snug. She ambled past a little café, colourful fairy lights still glittering inside the windows. It was already January, and yet the whole town was still hanging onto the Christmas mood. Understandable, considering Christmas was such a lovely and heartwarming festival.

Bree had a good holiday. She had snuck out on New Year's Eve to attend a concert, and it was hella amazing. Bree was totally not going to enter a brand new year by sleeping (that would be so anticlimactic). She'd sneaked out of her home a thousand times before so she was pretty confident in not getting caught. Bree sighed, white puffs of air escaping her mouth. She missed the adrenaline rush and cheering in elation along with the rest of the audience. Bree could still feel the way the ground shook in time with the pounding of the screaming people around her.

But oh, her bit of excitement was now over. Her window to the free world was closed again. Bree could sneak out as much as she would like, go to as many concerts and whatever, but she knew she could never really run away and have a solid adventure. The idea was too ludicrous and risky, even for Bree.

"Bree! Happy birthday!"

Bree looked up and saw Danielle's vivid red hair flash against the background. Bree smiled and waved. Danielle said she was treating her to lunch as a gift, so here they were.

"Thanks, Dani."

"I hope you can have a great year!" Danielle continued with a big grin. "Keep your grades up, have more fun, meet new people..."

Bree sighed and brushed a stray strand of hair from her forehead. "I really wish I can have more fun. Studying is pretty boring. I honestly enjoy learning but the education system sucks. It saps the joy out of it."

"Ah, here you go again," Danielle giggled. "Maybe you can grow up to be someone influential and change our dumpster of a society."

Bree thoughtfully tapped her chin. What did she want to become? She definitely wanted to contribute to the world and have a proper adventure, but Bree didn't find the idea of fame attractive. It was too much for her, to be surrounded by flashing cameras and bodyguards and nosy reporters desperate to find every detail about her. Bree knew she would rather live in the French countryside, growing her own food and washing her clothes by a stream or something. Maybe being an author wasn't bad, considering she could share her thoughts with the world and stay out of the limelight at the same time.

... She wondered if Conner wanted to be an author too. It seemed like an awfully fitting career for him.

Bree rather glad it was just Danielle and her. It seemed more intimate somehow, even though periods of dead-air happened more frequently. Bree asked Danielle about her musical and Danielle excitedly rambled on about the people there, the lines, the inside jokes, everything. Bree was happy to see her so enthusiastic; she had a sneaking suspicion Danielle didn't have many chances to talk much.

"Oh, there I go, blabbering about myself again. We're supposed to be celebrating your birthday," Danielle laughed awkwardly.

"Nah, I don't really mind. Besides, I don't have much to share," Bree said. She'd texted her friends about her New Year's concert already. Bree idly hoped Danielle wouldn't start to chat about boys, but knowing her love-hate relationship with her crush on Fred, Danielle wouldn't initiate anything about romance as she would just be digging a grave for herself. And Bree had no desire to share her feelings on Conner.

Thankfully, they managed to steer clear of that direction by some unspoken mutual agreement. It was quite the achievement, considering whenever two or more teenage girls got together and chatted for long enough, they would somehow eventually end up talking about crushes. It was peculiar and almost hilarious. Bree wondered if all female middleschoolers shared one brain.

Bree shared silly anecdotes about the dumb stuff her sisters did, and they laughed over it together. Bree remembered being glad she had Danielle as a friend. Danielle could be flighty and giggly at times, but she was a sweet and well-meaning person.

"By the way, have you ever thought of joining a musical or drama?" Danielle asked as she speared a bit of potato with her fork.

The question spun in Bree's mind for quite a while, and she chewed leisurely to buy her time. From her past experiences in class plays, she didn't mind acting. In fact, if Bree was completely honest with her honest, she was pretty decent at acting (Bree disliked how boastful she might sound). She always knew how to manipulate hotel receptionists when she was staying with her grandmother, and she had sneaked into places several times already. Maybe it was time to put her skills (could they be called skills?) to practical use.

"Well, I don't mind being in a drama," Bree admitted. "I want to try new things. But I'm not too keen on singing, the audience would just suffer upon hearing my horrendous voice."

There was a bang as Danielle leaned across the table and clutched Bree's hands. Bree instinctively recoiled, but the excitement gleaming in Danielle's eyes made her pause.

Danielle beamed. "Great! Wanna join the annual production next year with me? You don't even have to sing."

"Umm-"

"I've been waiting for someone I know to join! The theatre kids are super nice but sometimes I wish I have someone, yeah? And it's really fun, and..."

Bree patiently listened to Danielle's ramblings. The poor girl was probably desperate for a companion. Bree understood her attempts to escape loneliness, but Bree typically wasn't one to mindlessly do something just for anyone, especially if that thing was rather significant, such as joining the school's annual production. Bree wasn't mean or insensitive, she just tended to be rather individualistic.

"Yeah, I'll think about it," Bree promised. "School's getting boring without extracurricular activities. And I don't want to focus on the SAT exam now."

Danielle's face lit up like stars. "You won't regret it!" she cheered.

***

School went past in a blur. To his mother's chagrin, Conner continued to charge through assignments the night before they were due. Before he knew it, two months had swept by him since the start of the new year. Nothing much had happened, except Conner had three new story ideas (all discarded after a week of their creation) and he'd somehow learnt when Bree's birthday was (Conner still had no idea why he was so caught up on her).

Valentine's Day was approaching and Conner couldn't care less. Unfortunately, everyone at school was downright obsessed with romance and gossip. During the days before Valentine's, the classrooms were stock-full of hushed whispers and fervent glances at certain people. Who would write cards to who? Who would ask who out? Which couple would most likely get together? These sort of questions bombarded Conner's brain and honestly, he was getting so tired of it.

"WHAT'S the point of love?" he exploded one day at school, slamming his hands on his desk. As always, everyone in the room spun to look at him.

"Ooh, you seem rather frustrated by the lovey-dovey atmosphere in the air," Fred, who was next to Conner, teased. He reached over and lightly punched Conner on the shoulder. "Has someone caught your eye?"

Conner scrunched his face up, clearly showing surprise and disbelief. "No? How about you, Flirty McFlirt? Which of your many girlfriends will you hang out with?"

"Huh," Fred casually ran a hand through his hair, "I'm too handsome for all of them. Besides, they aren't my girlfriends." He fanned himself dramatically. "I'm still single, dudes."

Conner distinctly heard someone mutter "ugh, he's such a playboy". He couldn't help but think they were right, but at the same time, he knew Fred didn't have bad intentions.

Out of the corner of his eye, Conner saw Bree chatting with her friends. A thought popped into his mind and Conner suddenly wondered whether Bree cared about Valentine's. Considering she avoided the school's gossip circle like a plague, she probably thought Valentine's was nothing special. It was just some overly sappy day the capitalists invented to sell nauseating pink stuff everywhere (Conner knew that probably wasn't the case, but it felt like that to him).

Alex, who was hanging out with them, wrinkled her nose. "Valentine's Day seems nice in theory, but in reality, it's sorta weird," she said. "It's placing so much focus on relationships and if you don't date someone, you will die unhappy and alone. I get it's romantic and all that, but I don't think it's supposed to happen in a middle school. We're not mature."

"Interesting," Fred said, stroking his chin. "Hey, do you want to get married?"

Conner blinked, the abrupt turn of the conversation shocking him. They were just literally talking about stupid puppy love and now they had progressed to marriage? Things sure escalated quickly.

Conner puffed his chest in an act of "manliness". "Alex, if you ever get a boyfriend, or girlfriend, or whatever, they have to go through me first," he declared gravely.

"Yeah, sure. Anyways, to answer your question," Alex turned to Fred, "I don't mind marriage, but I'll only marry if I find the right person. I won't settle for anyone less."

"So you won't marry for marriage's sake," said Fred.

Conner crossed his arms. "Well, I hope you find the most amazing, perfect person to marry."

"You too," Alex grinned. "No one hurts my little brother and gets away with it."

"Cool, so no one's going to beat up people if I get heartbroken," Fred drawled sarcastically in mock-hurt.

"Yeah, we're just going to leave you to your own devices," Alex said in an offhand way, her face looking innocently nonchalant.

Conner shrugged his shoulders apathetically. "Sucks to be you, bro."

There was a beat as Fred looked from twin to twin.

"Just kidding, we'll murder your hypothetical ex with nothing but a rusty spoon," Alex joked.

Conner blinked. When did Alex become as nonsensical as he was?

Fred raised an eyebrow. "Okay, that's weird. What's happened to you? Ohhhh, I see." Fred swerved and pointed a finger at Conner dramatically. "You're a bad influence on her!"

"Oh, so the blame is on me now! As if you don't say weird crap!" Conner argued.

However, before their absurd argument could escalate, the bell rang. A collective sigh echoed amongst the class as they resigned themselves to another dreary day of school.

"Guess I'll leave," Alex said after taking a quick look at the clock. She didn't share her first lesson with Fred and Conner.

"Mhmm," Conner replied absentmindedly, eyes fixating on Bree's purple beanie as she sauntered out of the classroom.

Just as Alex darted out of the door, some tall guy swaggered in and bumped into her. Conner mentally groaned- it was Brad Buchanan, the school's resident jock, womanizer, and "nice guy". His watery blue eyes were constantly squinted in an attempt to look "effortlessly cool" (Conner privately believed he needed glasses) and had a habit of invading people's personal space. His skin was so unbelievably pale, Conner wondered if he was actually a vampire (oh no, he was getting Twilight flashbacks). If Fred was the "goofy, ridiculous, trying and failing to be suave" flirt, Brad was the "rude, sort of creepy, aggressive" flirt. No one liked him, but yet out of fear, coercion, or whatever, everyone was forced to like him.

"He didn't even apologize when he hit Alex," Conner muttered.

Fred face was uncharacteristically stony. "Jerk," he hissed.

Fred took his seat besides Conner (they always sat together whenever possible) and waited for the lesson to begin. Conner noticed that Fred was fervently tapping his feet on the ground, a sign of frustration. He wondered what Fred was so worried about; maybe he could ask him later.

Someone clapped Brad heartily on the back. "Yo dude, who are you going to ask out for Valentine's?"

"Huh," Brad snorted derisively. "You'll know soon enough."

That sounded strangely ominous to Conner, but he couldn't care less. If there was something he actually cared about on Valentine's, it was the love lives of Fred and Alex, which, to his knowledge, were practically non-existent. Of course, the rumours of some chick named Danielle crushing on Fred were ever persistent, but since Fred did not care, Conner assumed it was a one-sided thing.

And for some reason, Conner still found himself thinking about Bree. They weren't even close. Conner sort of hoped Bree didn't have a crush on someone. He didn't know how he would feel about that. Would he feel sad? But that was odd. Conner didn't like Bree that way, at least, he thought he didn't.

Conner shivered. He was probably thinking too much. This stupid Valentine's whatever-the-heck it was had caused him too much bewilderment already.

***

Bree ambled through the school gates on one fine crisp winter morning. Upon hearing clusters of students chattering heatedly Bree suddenly remembered what day it was. Mentally, she groaned, but outwardly, she kept her signature neutral expression.

Danielle had downright refused to do anything related to Frederick Hayford. In fact, she was deliberately avoiding Fred to "prove" she didn't like him (it was so sad, it was almost funny). Bree had witnessed Danielle ducking behind lockers, people, bushes, or just anything really. Danielle stubbornly looked away whenever Fred was around. In Bree's humble opinion, it just made Danielle's crush ten times more obvious.

Bree didn't really expect anything to happen on Valentine's. They were all making a big fuss out of nothing. That cursed day would pass by like every other day.

Bree was wrong.

Lunchtime. Bree was chilling with her friends. Most people had finished their lunches and were just chatting idly. Her friends enthusiastically shared the latest gossip on who got together and Bree listened absentmindedly, nodding at the right places.

Bree got up to return her tray and almost immediately felt her skin tingle. Her gut was screaming at her that something bad was about to happen, but she didn't know what. A bit confused and wary, Bree swept an eye over the cafeteria. Conner's oh-so-familiar strawberry blond hair caught her attention, but the sensation she was feeling was different from his magic aura. It was one of fear and dread, not fluttering butterflies and electricity. Bree frowned.

It was then she spotted a bunch of boys loitering a few paces away. Female instinct punched her in the stomach and suddenly Bree wanted to exit the world. She knew they were talking about her.

She had to get away. Stupid middleschooler boys-

"Yo, Campbell!"

It was Brad.

Annoyed, Bree spun and found herself face-to-face with the infamous Brad "Bad" Buchanan. Brad had his hands casually stuck in his pockets.

Bree didn't like the look he was giving her. Bree especially hated how his cronies wolf-whistled. People started to stop and stare at them. Bree winced when she heard them whisper among themselves.

"What do you want, Brad?" Bree asked politely enough, stressing the last word as if she was talking to a toddler.

Brad's hands were still, aggravatingly enough, shoved in his pockets nonchalantly. He tossed his head, his eyes still has squinted as always.

"Be my Valentine?" he said gruffly in an attempt to be like the cool, "aloof" guys.

Bree blinked. That was the worst possible way to ask someone out. And he was doing it in a school cafeteria.

Bree looked around, seeking a response from her classmates. Danielle's mouth was open in a silent scream, and some of her other friends were glaring at Brad, clearly showing distaste. At least they were all in agreement. Nearby, Fred Hayford was murmuring to someone, and Conner- well Conner had the most curious expression. His unusually serious face had turned as white as a sheet, and his lips were pressed into a hard, thin line. His eyes were wide as he took in the scenario. Bree couldn't tell whether he was angry or scared. Or both.

"Umm, no," Bree said decisively. "I'm... flattered but I don't like you. That way."

(Bree would've rather omitted the "that way", but she didn't want to seem too mean.)

Confusion (not hurt) clouded Brad's face. His squinty eyes became even more squinty, if possible. "Huh? I thought you liked me."

Bree raised her eyebrows dramatically. "No? I don't?" she proclaimed loudly and clearly.

(She sneaked a look at Conner. The poor boy looked like he was about to explode. Good grief.)

"Why would you think that?" Bree asked, genuinely curious as she had done nothing to indicate her interest in Brad of all people. If someone accused her of crushing on Conner, Bree would think it was reasonable as she did have a crush on him and she had been observing him for some time. Bree racked her brain and for the life of her couldn't find anything romantic between herself and Brad.

"You helped him with maths," said one of Brad's friends (Bree was sure he had a name, but she suddenly couldn't bring herself to care).

"You picked up his books when they fell over," said someone else.

"You were nice to him."

"So?" Bree couldn't believe her ears. Could boys really be that misguided and self-entitled? Was Bree living in some sort of cliché tumblr post about heterosexual males? "I've helped others with maths. I've picked up a ton of books. I try to be nice to most people." She paused for effect, then articulated, "Stop mistaking basic decency for romantic attraction."

Each word was like a bullet from a gun, deadly and concise. Bree revelled in the chorus of "oooohs" that sounded from her classmates.

(Somewhere among the crowd, Bree heard a voice say "and that's the tea, sis".)

Brad frowned. His eyes were still squinted. Maybe he needed glasses. Scratch that, he probably needed glasses.

"So you're not going out with me?" he said bluntly.

"No."

A beat.

"Sorry," Bree added quickly, sounding a lot more apathetic than she'd intended (well, at least she was being honest that way).

Brad's already unpleasant face suddenly contorted into an even more unpleasant expression complete with an ugly scowl.

"You bitch," he spat. "I can't believe you played me like that! I bet no guy is willing to date you."

Bree drawled sarcastically, "Ah yes, I'm feeling very attacked by the heteronormativity-"

"HEY, BUCHANAN!"

Bree didn't even need to look to know what was happening. Her furious friends were all standing up for her. Gratitude oozed from her heart and she smiled, half from the gesture of friendship and half from amusement.

"Nobody says stuff like that to Bree!" Danielle hollered, fists clenched by her side. "Apologize!"

"Yeah, stop being salty just because you got rejected!" screeched Abigail, one of Bree's friends.

"I can't believe your ego is even more fragile than my mental health!" Hannah bellowed.

"Your opinion on Bree changed quicker than the way you change love interests!"

Bree had to laugh at their ridiculous yet totally accurate roasts. "Alright girls, calm down, he doesn't deserve that much attention."

Brad glared at her (Bree couldn't believe his eyes were still comically squinted!) and stalked away, his friends leaving along with him. He muttered something, and while Bree couldn't hear the words, she assumed it was something bad about her. Bree turned away. Yes, she was vexed and humiliated, but she didn't have the time and energy to deal with drama.

Until she heard an awfully familiar shout.

***

Truth to be told, Conner did feel a bit bad for lashing out on Brad.

Conner could've handled things in a more mature way instead of just, oh he didn't know, screaming. But Conner had never been particularly good at restraining his true emotions.

Conner tried. He genuinely tried. But the thought, the mere thought of Bree being called 'bitch" or something just as degrading made him feel sick. His stomach churned with unease and disgust and more importantly, a raging thirst for justice. Conner told himself repeatedly to stay calm and let his righteous anger simmer. It wasn't like Bree was his friend or anything (they were just classmates). He technically had no reason to be that mad.

(Actually, at that moment, Conner didn't really think about why he was annoyed, he just was. Instinctively. He was too blinded by his blazing emotions to think.)

Bree successfully defeated Brad the menace with one sentence ("stop mistaking basic decency for romantic attraction") and then the entire cafeteria rioted. The crowd went absolutely bonkers, whooping and cheering and clapping. Conner couldn't help but smirk. Now that was the effortlessly cool, sassy, totally amazing Bree Campbell he knew.

Bree could deal with Brad even if no one was by her side. And in addition, her friends had some pretty sick burns for Brad. There was no need for Conner's involvement. Absolutely no need.

Conner bit his lip, trying to swallow back the insults and words that were on the tip of his tongue. His fingernails were subconsciously digging into his palm tightly. Bree didn't deserve all that crap that had just happened. In fact, no one deserved that, but somehow, the fact that it concerned Bree made Conner's heart beat a little faster (why was he biased?).

Conner was thinking of letting it go when Brad was leaving.

But then he heard Brad say something mean and totally untrue about Bree again, and he just snapped.

"Why are you so mean to her!" he burst out. In his agitated state, words were stumbling out of his mouth with little structure. He didn't care. He couldn't care. "Don't you want to ask her out? You're so... so two-faced!" he spat out the last word with venom.

Admittedly, Conner's speech could've gone a lot better if he'd chosen his words more carefully (like Bree did). That way, he wouldn't sound as stupid and impulsive. But Conner was in no mood to extract roasts and elaborate sentences from his brain. Boiling blood roared in his ears, rendering him deaf expect for what that jerk Buchanan was saying.

Conner's cheeks were an angry firetruck scarlet, a fantastic contrast to his deathly pale face just thirty seconds ago.

Brad started at him as if he'd grown two heads. "Why so mad, man?" he asked, sounding surprised.

"You're being extremely arrogant," Conner griped. "You think you're so entitled to girls that you can just insult them AND blame them for rejecting you. Dude, you're the prime example of toxic masculinity. You-"

Brad scoffed. "Stop using such preten-pretenti-whatever words. You're insane, man."

"You don't even know what 'pretentious' is," Fred remarked, appearing by Conner's side loyally. Damn, maybe the two of them really had been influenced by Alex's linguistic abilities.

"Okay, dude, listen." Brad scowled and turned to face Conner. "What I do doesn't concern you. Get your crusty ass out of my business. Why do you care, huh? Scared that I'm going to take your little girlfriend away?"

"You don't have to like someone to stand up for them," Conner retaliated, his voice as cold as ice. His face was ironically flaming hot with resentment and frustration. Upon his words, the crowd oooohed again, displaying support for Conner. Some of them even started to boo Brad, and others mimed throwing rubbish at him. Satisfaction flared inside Conner, and he even dared to sneak a look at Bree.

Bree's face was deceptively calm. Conner was sure a well-hidden storm of emotions was churning inside her. Her brown eyes met his blue ones, and for once, Conner didn't shy away from her bright gaze. Perhaps he was too clouded by his determination and ire.

Brad Buchanan glowered, decided it wasn't worth the fight, and strode away. Conner still simmering and he glared daggers at Brad until he vanished from view. He didn't even realize every muscle in his body was tense until Fred placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"It's alright, dude. Look at him, retreating with his tail between his legs," Fred commented idly.

(So Fred was using idioms now? Must be because of Alex.)

Conner huffed, and slowly felt the anger seep from his cheeks. However, the embarrassment from being in the center of attention made him flush again. Fortunately for him, once the drama was over, the crowd dissipated. They were still murmuring among themselves, but at least they weren't all staring at him.

"Yo." Fred nudged Conner. Conner half-heartedly looked up and to his astonishment, saw Bree approaching him. A new wave of emotion crashed over him. Conner's knees inexplicably wobbled beneath him and it felt like his world was spinning. Why was Bree coming here? What did she have to say? What if she was mad at him for meddling?

Conner felt his Adam's apple bob nervously. Despite his "heroic" (read: dumbassery) performance just now, Bree's mere presence suddenly rendered him anxious and fearful. She was now closer to him, just a few steps away. Oh God, she probably hated him. Another step. Conner could see the pink and blue strands of hair in her bangs, swaying in the wind. Why did he care if she hated him? Why was he so caught up in seemingly insignificant things?

Bree stopped. Technically she was still some ways from him, but it felt too, too close to Conner. He could see how tall she was in relation to him (she reached his eyebrows). She had some really cute flower earrings. Wait, her mouth was moving-

"Thanks," she said.

And Conner's heart exploded.

***

A furious Conner Bailey should be unfamiliar to Bree, but somehow she felt it suited him.

Bree almost expected it, really. Conner had a tendency to stand up for his friends and call out others for their offensive behaviour. She vividly recalled how he'd been angry at the kid who kept on pulling her hair, and how he'd steadfastly defended Alex when she was bullied. She'd seen how quickly the cheerful, light-hearted Conner could switch to a furious, loyal protector of justice.

Conner's crimson face was practically glowing with anger. Something hard and steely shone in his blue eyes, something she didn't quite understand but resonated with. His usual joyful attitude had slipped from him, and Bree admitted to feeling slightly scared. But the entire thing was so Conner, so raw and honest, so genuine Bree couldn't help but be touched by his actions. Sure, Conner stumbled over his words, but each one of them was powered with a righteous anger that burned from within. He didn't want attention, fame, revenge or whatever. He was just standing up for what he believed in. And the intention and resolve alone was enough to make Bree admire him.

So she went towards him and said thanks.

Conner looked thunderstruck, his cheeks still pink with residual emotion. A bit selfishly, Bree enjoyed the effect she had over him. He was too cute.

"You didn't have to do that, but you did, so thanks." A pause. "That was... sweet of you," she added hastily in a hushed voice. The last sentence was only meant for Conner's ears.

Brilliant red rose in Conner's face again. Bree noticed how the corner of his lips twitched, as he was fighting back an involuntary smile. "Oh, umm, I was wondering if that was a faux pas, because I didn't want to be the 'nice guy' or y'know, the white guy in shining armour- uh that's not it, the guy with a white horse or the guy with shining armour, not white guy..."

Bree smiled. "It's fine, I understand. I don't think you were being very 'nice guy'."

Conner slapped his forehead with his hand. "Ugh, I'm making things worse. I had no intention of 'saving' you. You did a fantastic job of slaying Buchanan, by the way. You're so cool."

Bree could hear the wistful adoration in his tone and now she had to suppress a merry smile. She noted how Fred Hayford had a smirk on his face as he observed their interaction. He probably knew of Conner's crush on her.

"Heh, you weren't so bad yourself."

Crap, they were being so awkward. Every inch of Bree's skin was tingling uncomfortably, so she excused herself as quickly as she could.

Stupid butterflies were fluttering in her stomach again. Bree's friends enveloped her like a flock of birds and they discussed passionately about Brad and Conner. Despite being the main focus of their chit-chat, Bree was only listening half-heartedly. She didn't want to deal with gossip and speculation right now.

***

The days went on and they zoomed off towards the warm yet humid season of spring. Bree had miraculously managed to keep her feelings under control, and apparently Conner was still being his usual oblivious self. Life was good, albeit a bit boring, but it wasn't too boring with the Bailey twins around. Brad didn't bother her much long after Bree threatened to disembowel him and ditch his body in the sea (Brad probably knew about the murder mysteries she read). Neither Conner nor Bree made a move, and Bree was rather thankful for that. A relationship was scary.

But it was fun. Bree often heard of Conner's antics and bore witness to some of his silly pranks. He still wrote creative and enjoyable short stories. And apparently he was once dared to climb up a tree and he nearly fell down (Bree would be lying if she said her heart didn't stop). Bree still had no big leads on the Bailey Twins Mystery, but at this point, she might as well enjoy her life.

But then suddenly, unexpectedly, the twins- both of them- vanished into the soupy, foggy air.

The first day, Bree thought they had caught a cold.

The second day, Bree thought they had caught an extra bad cold.

The third day, Bree noted the lost expression on Fred's face and how people were murmuring they had disappeared again, and the Book Huggers' sudden interest in their neighbourhood shenanigans and Mrs. Bailey's new husband and everything-

Then her world, as she knew it, came crashing down.

***

A/N: WOOO IT WAS FOTR'S SECOND ANNIVERSARY ON 19/9! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BRAINBABY!

(Lol... it's been two years and I've just written ten chapters.)

BY THE WAY, WE REACHED 50K WORDS :D HALFWAY TO 100K!

When I first penned the ideas of FOTR down, it was meant to be purely a Conneree fic, focusing on their development and relationship. However, the more I write, the more I realize it isn't just Conner and Bree. It's also my take on Alex, the entire wonky timeline, the potential school life of the kids, and other things. I've added things and details to my own liking. It's almost like my version of TLOS, based on Chris Colfer's work, but also full of my own touches and style.

I'm not a huge fan of TLOS now, but your lovely comments, FOTR and Conneree are what keep me going.

Also, Brad is like That White Guy and his last name is a reference to Tom from The Great Gatsby (I studied that in Literature class last year).

It has also occurred to me that Bree and Brad's ship name (God forbid) would be Bread. More like Dread. If you start shipping them I will steal your kneecaps.

Writing the stupid middleschooler "fight" scene took me back to 2016 or something, guess that's what happens my brain is too tired to function and just comes up with juvenile comedy or whatever. Also, I've realized that all of the main beef happens at the school cafeteria during lunchtime. AM I INCAPABLE OF WRITING ANOTHER VENUE.

By the way, I've separated this fic into parts. I've posted Part I- Something New as a divider.

School has been a new level of hell. I've taken up a leadership role this year, and I feel like I'm just being dragged along by my duties, skin scraping against the ground. I don't even have the energy to think and write. Sometimes I can't even formulate complete, legible sentences and heck, I write as a hobby! I have no idea when I'll be able to write/ update, so please don't bombard me with messages telling me to update, I'm pretty stressed out.

Thank you for your lovely comments! They're so amusing to read lol :D

Thanks again for reading and please continue to vote and comment!

28/9/2019

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

488K 20.1K 61
╰┈➤ *⋆❝ 𝐢'𝐝 𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐥𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞-𝐛...
131K 2.6K 43
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
556K 20.1K 95
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
403K 12.1K 93
Theresa Murphy, singer-songwriter and rising film star, best friends with Conan Gray and Olivia Rodrigo. Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver for Ferrar...