9. I Like Hugging the Floor

Disclaimer: I don't own anything you recognize

***

A/N: I'm sorry I'm shipping everyone with everyone this fic is CHAOTIC.

***

 "Ooh, is that Alex Bailey?"

 Alex shuffled along, her head kept low. Just go to your lunch table, just go to your lunch table-

 "She's smart, but also weird, like reeaally weird..."

 "I heard that she hugs books in the library! What a freak!"

 Alex had heard every word of the girls' gossiping, and as much as she wanted to deny it, she knew it was true. She was weird as she kept on hugging books in a futile attempt to somehow magically transport her back to the Land of Stories- the place where she truly felt alive.

 Alex knew she didn't really belong at the Otherworld. Maybe Conner was, but Alex wasn't. Her soul had deeply resonated with the magic she'd seen at the Land of Stories, and now she felt like a part of her had been ripped off and left there. She knew she was a freak, but she was incomplete and hollow, and she needed to go back to the Land of Stories to be herself again-

 "Hey! Mean girls with weird stripy hair!"

 Oh.

 That was Conner's voice.

 Alex immediately looked up to see her brother next to her. His face was flushed with angry red. The relief she felt upon seeing her twin was rapidly washed away by concern. "Conner, what-"

 "You know, you should stop saying hurtful things to my sister!" Conner bellowed, his voice probably much louder than he had intended. As a result, the area went deadly silent in the blink of an eye.

 Conner immediately attracted the attention of the entire cafeteria. Everybody stared at him, as if an invisible limelight was glaring on his head, but he paid no heed.

 "So what if she hugs books? Everybody has their own quirks, like your curious style of hair which I don't like but respect, and how some like to pace while they study, and how some just have to chew gum during class-"

 The only sound was the excited murmurs of the crowd as they witnessed Conner Bailey standing up for his twin sister. Alex had never felt more grateful and embarrassed at the same time.

 It was at that exact moment Bree entered the cafeteria. Her eyebrows raised at the sight of a furious Conner against the vicious snakes- whoops sorry, she meant the girls. Noting Alex's nervous expression and Conner's clenched fists, Bree quickly connected the dots. The girls were probably bullying Alex or did something to hurt her, and Conner, a loyal brother with a righteous heart, had to defend her. Bree was reminded when he'd glared daggers at the idiot that had pulled her hair a few months ago. Of course he wouldn't let it slip past him.