10. Bittersweet

Disclaimer: I don't own anything you recognize

***

A/N: Again, I'm sORRY because I have no control over the characters. They just decided to jump out of whatever plans I created for them. I would like to stress the importance of the note at the beginning of Ch 2.

Also, it snows where they live. This is not true in canon, but considering the location of their neighbourhood in the Otherworld does not hold much significance, I'm going to change canon.

Mentions of mild language, but it's not too serious.

***

"Aww look! Conner, you were so cute as a kid!"

Fred pointed to a photo of a young Conner making faces in front of the camera. Conner's face was comically scrunched up, his little tongue stuck out.

"Huh, are you saying I'm not cute anymore?" Conner retorted.

Alex rolled her eyes. "Yeah, you're totally not cute now."

"Wow! You two are such meanies!" Conner half-whined, but as Fred cackled, the tension was quickly resolved.

The trio were, once again, hanging out at Fred's house. They had decided to take a look at some of their old photos, and in doing so, they sunk back into a warm pit of childhood nostalgia.

"Hey! That's when we were role playing!" Conner pointed to a picture. A young Conner and Fred, with gigantic grins on their faces, were dueling each other with wooden sticks. They were dressed in cardboard armour. Alex was on the side, also laughing, holding what looked like a star wand in her hand.

"I remember that!" Alex said, delighted. "I was the fairy. I was trying to play mediator between you two."

"We were fighting over the lands," Fred chuckled. "And the throne. Which was basically a tree house."

"C'mon, that tree house was great!" Conner said enthusiastically. "It had a rope ladder and a banner! It was definitely worth fighting for."

"Conner, if you burst into singing 'A Girl Worth Fighting For', I'll never forgive you," Alex teased.

"Just so you know, I'm done with randomly singing Mulan songs," Conner deadpanned.

"Yeah, wouldn't want to embarrass yourself in front of Bree again," Fred commented casually, too casually.

Alex shot Fred a look. Fred ignored her.

...Weird. Recently Fred seemed to had taken to ignoring Alex.

An interesting shade of red mounted on Conner's cheeks. "Well yeah, t-that was one of the Top Ten Worst Moments Of My Life. It was very stupid of me," he laughed to ease his nerves.