12. In My Blood

Disclaimer: I don't own anything you recognize

***

A/N: I would like to clarify that the chapter name is NOT a Shawn Mendes reference. This is such an important point that I would state it in the beginning A/N :P

***

Bree couldn't help but be a bit nervous when she was called to the principal's office at the end of the year. Mrs. Peters had always seemed strict and imposing to Bree, and now that they had just finished their finals, Bree wondered if she'd somehow failed every subject. Maybe that was why the principal wanted to see her?

But that was irrational, because while Bree wasn't arrogant, she did know she couldn't have done too badly. And she certainly wasn't a top student either, so she probably wasn't eligible for scholarships or awards.

Had Bree broken the school rules and was facing expulsion? Bree had to admit, she might've fooled some hotel receptionists and she might've used fake IDs, but she didn't do anything illegal at school. Seriously, she hadn't! Bree was just your normal, average middle schooler. Yup.

So Bree took a deep breath and entered the principal's office with an impressive state of calmness. Fortunately, Bree wasn't in trouble- quite the contrary, in fact.

According to Mrs. Peters, a time capsule by the famous Brothers Grimm had been discovered by the University of Berlin. The capsule contained three brand new fairy tales, and they would be revealed to the public three weeks into September.

"That's so cool!" Bree gushed, genuinely thrilled. Mrs. Peters raised her eyebrows, a little surprised by her uncharacteristic show of enthusiasm. Bree quickly explained, "People think fairy tales are for kids, but the original fairy tales are so dark and, well, grim. Like, Snow White's stepmother danced to death in hot iron shoes. And it's super interesting to see how certain companies (ahem, Disney, ahem) adapted these gory tales and made them for children..."

Mrs. Peters smiled. "In fact, that sort of enthusiasm is exactly what I'm looking for! I've received an invitation to the event, and I'm inviting a few students to go with me." She picked up a pamphlet and slid it towards Bree. "Ms. York told me you're quite the ambitious and passionate writer, so I wonder if you would be interested?"

Bree didn't know why, but she felt a sudden need to go on the trip. She had to. She couldn't explain it no matter how much thought she gave it. It was almost like something magical in her blood was beckoning her, hypnotizing her-

"That honestly sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime!" Bree happily took the pamphlet and flipped through it. "I'm actually part German myself and I've always wanted to visit Berlin- historical value and all that." Her eyes caught a photo in the pamphlet. "Cool nightclubs as well," she quipped.