3. You On Sugar High?

Disclaimer: I don't own anything you recognize

***

Two voices.

He stopped walking.

Hushed whispers.

His eyebrow raised.

His name being mentioned.

He clenched his fist and strode forward.

"What the heck are you two talking about?"

A sheepish Fred and Alex looked at Conner, who had just barged into their conversation. Their expressions turned slightly guilty, before they immediately covered it up.

"Nothing," Alex and Fred answered in unison.

Obviously, Conner didn't believe them.

"You two have been talking behind my back for days already! You guys are suspicious! Just what are you talking about?" the boy exclaimed.

Fred looked nervously at Alex, but fortunately for him, she had a backup plan.

"Oh, I was teaching Freddie," Alex said innocently.

"About what?" Conner interrogated, determined to get to the bottom of that.

"Science," Alex answered.

Fred's weak spot was indeed Science, and the boy was both surprised and amazed that Alex had managed to remember not only her brother's weak subjects, but also his friend's.

"Really?"

"Yeah," Fred piped up. "After all, Alex's really good in a lot of subjects, so I wanted to ask her about them."

"So what's with all the whispering?" Conner wasn't giving up so easily.

"She doesn't want everyone to know, because she doesn't want to organize a tutoring class." This time, Fred took the lead, smoothly continuing Alex's lie.

"All that whispering around me, then?"

Alex and Fred shared a nervous glance. "Uh, I thought you might be one of those 'other people' who might bombard me with questions," Alex offered.

Conner looked like he was about to fire some more questions, as his sister and best friend waited with bated breath for his next move.

"Seems funny that you don't teach me, Alex," Conner directed that at his sister. Alex sighed in relief internally, glad that the topic had been changed.

"Well, I will, if you ask me. You need to realize that you need to improve your grades, instead of me taking care of you all the time," Alex replied, pushing her headband back to keep her hair from her face.

"Okay," Conner still looked slightly suspicious of them, but let it go. "You guys are weird."

After the boy went away, Fred hissed to Alex, "He's the one who's weird."