11. The Worst Liar

Disclaimer: I don't own anything you recognize

***

A/N: Just in case you thought the multishipping wouldn't get worse, it did. Someone please stop me from lowkey shipping Bree and Fred. Their ship name is Free by the way. Also don't attack me, I'm still a total sucker for Conneree (Conner and Bree's ship).

There are also Fredlex undertones here, but judging from the response from the previous chapter, y'all seem to like them :)

***

The Bailey twins had officially disappeared.

And apparently, so had their mother.

Rumour had it the twins were "terribly ill". Bree snorted. Yeah, as if she would believe that.

It would probably be more believable if they hadn't also disappeared for quite a long period of time before. And it would definitely be more believable if anyone could contact them.

But no, not even the twins' childhood friend Fred Hayford could see them. Which Bree knew because he complained about it daily.

Bree overheard the Book Huggers discussing the matter eagerly in the library. Apparently they were planning to visit the twins' home and search for clues. Bree had no intention of doing that, because firstly, that was creepy, and secondly, that would raise a lot of suspicion.

As the days of their absence dragged on, Bree found herself getting more and more curious. If they weren't really sick, what were they doing right now? Where could they be? What were they hiding? These questions tormented Bree's mind and while she tried to ignore them, the thoughts would float back to her incessantly whenever she was bored. It was almost like something in her blood and soul was telling her she was destined to find out the answers. Bree genuinely thought she might be going delusional.

The twins had been absent for four days now. Bree exhaled, blowing at her pink and blue bangs. While her restless classmates fidgeted, anxiously waiting for the lesson to end, Bree studiously copied down notes. Sure, she also anticipated the end of the lesson, and the end of the school day, but Social Studies was one of her best subjects. She couldn't afford to slack.

"... And that's all for today," the teacher said, and everyone in the classroom let out a collective sigh of relief. Bree glanced at the clock. There were three minutes left.

"By the way, does anyone know where Alex Bailey lives?" the teacher continued. "Can someone give her the homework for this week?"

Bree peered around the classroom. Her peers were mostly ignoring the teacher and chattering among themselves. Those who weren't talking just deliberately avoided looking at the teacher. It didn't take a genius to figure out that no one wanted to deliver Alex's homework.