𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐂𝐀𝐍'𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐏...

By vintagerosepetal

'You can't help it this is just how we were taught to... More

foreword
a c t o n e
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
a c t t w o
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii*
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
xliv
xlv
xlvi
xlvii
xlviii
xlix
l
final word

ix

24.7K 715 184
By vintagerosepetal

CHAPTER NINE | goodnight love

Lucie was walking through the streets of Birmingham once more. She only had her usual boring blue dress on. She didn't mind. Well she thought she didn't.

Lucie took a back alley to shortcut her way to Polly's house, she'd decided to go spend some time with her and Finn.

Two men were further up the alley way, just standing, cigarette a blaze. Coming towards her. She swiftly turned around , wanting to avoid them at all costs.

"Where'd ya' think she's off then?" The accent was one Lucie hadn't heard before, it's wasn't Brummie, nor anyone she knew.

"Probably taking a long walk to loose a few. Love! When's the baby due, eh?" The other man retorted, earning a laugh.

Lucie has always been self conscious of her weight. She wasn't the typical physique of the women at the time, but she had never minded, until now.

"Nah an ugly 'en like her, no one would go near her, she ain't up the duff. Just fat." Lucie just walked out of the alley way and back onto the streets of Small Heath.

Tears were falling from her eyes. Those words were ones she'd heard many a time before. Didn't mean the hurt any less however.

The village shed formerly lived in were not welcoming of little girls who weren't thinner than a needle. Which made school hard for Lucie. Those words fat, ugly all words she'd heard before.

(I want to point out I am not shaming skinny girls in anyway! You are beautiful no matter your weight skin colour hair colour etc!)

Lucie didn't want Polly to see she'd been crying, so she wiped away the tears that wet her face. However her eyes were puffed and her cheeks all red. She just hoped Polly didn't notice.

"Polly, it's Lucie you around?" Lucie shouted through the seemingly empty house.

"Kitchen love." Lucie walked towards the kitchen to see Polly making two cups of tea. She had probably anticipated Lucie's arrival.

"Sit girl. I'll be there in a second." Lucie willingly obliged, sitting at the table waiting for Polly, who sat down with two hot cups of tea seconds later.

"Who's said something to you, Luce?" Polly asked coolly, lighting a cigarette.

"How'd you know?" Lucie questioned.

"Red cheeks, puffed eyes. Come on, Love, what's happened?"

"Was going to take the short cut alley here, you know down, Spinning Lane. Where two men. Irish I think, started saying things to me." Lucie didn't feel like telling Polly she'd cried over something so stupid.

"So, what'd they say?" Polly questioned, finally looking towards Lucie.

"Well, God Pol it's so stupid. One of 'em asked 'When's it due' but the other just shouted 'seen her face no one would go near her, she ain't up the duff. Just fat.'."

"Oh I'm sorry, Luce. Here drink your tea."

Lucie and Polly made idle chatter for an hour or so until Thomas arrived, holding a rather large white zip bag.

"Thomas, what the fuck is that?" Polly asked standing up and moving towards him. Lucie didn't feel like turning to see him. She'd had enough today, but she'd cried a lot with Polly, she knew Tommy would catch on.

"Lucie, come here please." Tommy asked, although Lucie knew she didn't have a choice.

She turned around to him after standing up, her face blotched but not too noticeable. She trudged to Tommy.

"Is that where you're putting my body?" She whispered with a chuckle.

"Lucie, you're coming to the races. You'll be wearing this." Tommy unzipped the white bag to reveal a royal blue dress with sequin accents across the neck line.

Lucie stood in awe, her jaw practically on the floor. She had no words. Tommy had bought her a dress for the races. She couldn't even get the words 'thank you' out. She couldn't believe it.

"Go put it in Tommy's room, Love, you'll get changed here next week alright."

Lucie walked slowly towards the dress Tommy held for her. She tentatively removed it from his grasp, never once uttering a word. She just walked upstairs to put it in Thomas' room like she asked.

Whilst Lucie was gone Polly told Tommy of the men who insulted Lucie on her way over. However to Polly's surprise, the men were already dealt with. Someone came to Tommy after seeing it happen and told him. The two men were now blind, although they were blind before anyways.

"I'll see how she is." Tommy began to ascend the stairs, making his way to his bedroom, where Lucie stood, just looking at the dress. She couldn't wrap her head around the kindness he'd shown her.

"You like it then?" Tommy asked, his voice wavering ever so slightly.

"Like it? I fucking love it Tommy! I can't believe you'd do this for me. But I can't accept it, it's too much. Too much."

"That's the first time you've called me Tommy." Thomas observed.

"Slipped out I guess, Mr. Shelby."

"No going back now." Tommy smiled at the girl, " You'll be keeping the dress Luce, it's the least I can do, you'll have a great time. Oh and Luce, those men from earlier. Won't be bothering you anymore."

Lucie couldn't contain her joy, so she made a rash decision. Running towards Tommy she latched onto him, resting her head on his chest whilst she squeezed him in a loving hug. Although she caught herself quickly.

"Mr Shelby — Tommy, I - I'm so sorry I don't know what came over me." Lucie spluttered our worthless words, embarrassed by herself.

Tommy never spoke, he just walked back towards her and pulled her into an embrace. Resting his chin on the top of her head. She breathed in his intoxicating scent and realised just how hard and deep she was falling.

"Thank you Tommy, truly, I can't thank you enough." Lucie whispered against him, to which she received a quiet shushing.

"Just stay here, another minute." Tommy asked. He didn't demand, he asked.

Lucie wilfully obliged, she didn't want to move. She just wanted to stay like this. But she knew she couldn't, and when she felt Tommy lift his head and begin to break away, she felt the warmth leave her, just a little bit.

"Luce it's getting late now, you can stay here if you'd like." Polly shouted up the stairs.

"Thank you Polly!" Lucie replied extremely loud hoping Polly would hear.

Lucie was to share a room with Tommy, once again. It was half past one in the morning. The sky was a blurred canvas of purple and black hues. Lucie and Tommy were still awake.

"Thomas just sleep in the bed, I won't have it like last time. You scared me." Lucie whispered to that man who stood in front of her.

"No. I'll sleep on the floor Luce, now get in the bed." Tommy and Lucie has been arguing for a good ten minutes. So he took matters into his own hands. Picking the girl up by her waist and chucking her onto the bed.

"Fine then you arrogant arse. Get in the fucking bed with me." Lucie whisper shouted to Thomas who was setting up in the floor. "I ain't taking no for an answer."

"Right then, Luce if you insist." Tommy got up from the floor and clambered into the bed with Lucie. They were both facing the same way. Keeping their distance, although Lucie wished they weren't. So did Tommy.

"G'night, Thomas." Lucie could barley keep her eyes open.

"Night Luce." Tommy waited a sufficient amount of time, hoping Lucie was asleep. He moved his arm round Lucie's waist bringing them closer together.

Lucie's smile was brighter than ever, she instantly felt warmer. Her stomach would erupt with butterflies.

Tommy's head rested in the crook of Lucie's neck, just like before. He placed a small kiss under her jaw and whispered once more.

"Goodnight, Love."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

824K 22.1K 53
In which Thomas Shelby draws up an alliance between his family and that of his rival, not knowing that it's to have far more complications than he th...
374K 16.5K 51
( 𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐘 𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐁𝐘 ) 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘴 𝘪 𝘢𝘮. ( tommy shelby x beatrice price...
152K 5.1K 30
[COMPLETED] face of an angel, mind of a killer... ( thomas shelby x fem! oc ) ( season 4 - season 5) ( started: June 10th 2021 - finished: May 11th...
20K 291 16
Since she was young, Mollie May was always taught to think for herself and to fight for herself. Now that she's older, the same rules apply. After mo...