𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐂𝐀𝐍'𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐏...

By vintagerosepetal

'You can't help it this is just how we were taught to... More

foreword
a c t o n e
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
a c t t w o
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii*
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
xliv
xlv
xlvi
xlvii
xlviii
xlix
l
final word

vi

26.1K 706 129
By vintagerosepetal

CHAPTER SIX |

Lucie and Polly both went with Ada to find out if it was true, if she was really pregnant. Polly and Lucie waited outside until Ada's exam from Mrs. Simeon was over.

"She's pregnant, Polly. No doubt about it." Lucie smoked her cigarette, whilst looking at Polly.

"I know, silly girl. Tommy's gonna' kill her." Polly replied calmly, throwing the end of her cigarette on the floor.

"At least they'll be another Shelby for me to babysit." Lucie tried to make a light hearted joke at the tense moment. However, Ada came out at that moment.

Polly didn't ask her what happened inside instead she grasped her arm and told her to keep walking.

"I'm not getting rid of it, Aunt Pol." Adas voice was shaking as she walked.

"Just come home and we'll talk about it." Polly was not happy. At all.

"I'm off to start my shift, Polly. I'll see you later. Bye, Ada." Lucie wanted to get away as fast as possible. This was a family matter. And extremely awkward.

Lucie was in the pub serving the men sat at the bar. She would watch Grace in the seconds she got alone. Lucie could see Grace staring out of the pub door, most likely looking at Tommy. Lucie knew she was looking at Tommy. No doubt about it.

So when Grace moved away from the window and towards the spit and sick buckets, Lucie got there first, just to annoy her.

"It's alright Grace, I'll do them this time." Lucie smirked and poured the contents into one bucket.

Grace's expression told Lucie everything. Lucie was basking in the power she had over Grace. The upper hand that Tommy had given her.

Lucie made her way to the back door of The Garrison. Her small knit cardigan not nearly thick enough to keep her warm. Her dress was the thinnest and cheapest material used. Lucie couldn't afford an expensive one because of the low pay she received now Grace started working. Her wages were halved.

Lucie could see Tommy walking down the way with a white horse next to him. She wanted his attention but she knew Grace would be watching them. So when Tommy got closer, Lucie panicked and just threw the contents of the bucket right in front of Tommy. Almost catching his trousers with the vile brown liquid.

"Sorry Thomas, didn't mean to almost get you then." Lucie tried to sound truthful, she knew Grace was listening, and she wanted her to think it really was an accident or a ploy for Tommy's attention.

"What's his name?" Lucie inquired, gesturing to the horse Tommy was holding.

"He doesn't have a name." Tommy was trying to calm the horse whilst keeping his composure.

"Poor boy deserves a name don't you think?"

"You have something to say to me Lucie?" Tommy sounded serious which confused the girl. She thought he understood that this was a way to stop Grace getting near him. Although it probably didn't seem like that.

"Grace wants one night a week when there's singing, asked me to ask you. Harry's too afraid too." Lucie had thought of a ruse to get her out of the awkward conversation with the blue eyed gangster.

"But you're not."

"I am, but no one else would ask." Lucie replied, you could hear the shaking in her voice, which Tommy had already noticed.

"Very well then, before you go, tell Grace to dig out a nice dress, I'm taking her to the races." Lucie felt something pull at her insides, forcing her stomach into a knot and her heart to fall from her chest.

"Course Mr. Shelby." Lucie didn't want to even call him Thomas. She was so angry.  Yet she had no right. She wasn't with Thomas, he could do as he pleased. Although Lucie didn't know that taking Grace was all part of the elaborate plan.

"You on lock up tonight?"

"Yes Mr. Shelby, but I'm sure Grace will be up for the job if you'd prefer." Lucie words were some what spiteful, however Tommy just chuckled.

"No, no. I'll see you later if I can."

"Won't be keeping my hopes up, sir, not like last time." With that, Lucie left. She didn't make a snide remark towards Grace who was looming in a corner close by the back door. Lucie decided against making a snide remark, instead she merely told her what Tommy asked.

"Dig our a nice dress Grace, Mr. Shelby would like to take you to the races. I'd say red, it'd suit you." Lucie just carried on walking past the girl and made her way behind the bar, to carry on serving the waiting men.

"I'll be leaving Lucie, you fine to lock up?" Grace inquired.

"As always Grace, you go find your nice dress, eh?" Lucie wanted the words to sound hurtful. However they didn't, they sounded genuine.

"I'll cover one of your shifts, if you cover mine the day of the races?" Grace asked, pulling her coat around her frame.

"Yeah, of course." Lucie was too tired to try and argue with Grace. So she just agreed.

Lucie was sweeping the floor when The Garrison doors opened. Revealing a soaking and angry Tommy.

"Sorry to disappoint Mr. Shelby, but Grace ain't here." Lucie shouted to him. She was still not happy with Tommy, why couldn't he take her to the races instead?

"Lucie, I'm taking her because it's part of my plan, alright."

"Whatever Mr. Shelby, how's the horse with no name eh?" Lucie questioned, walking towards Thomas with a glass of Irish whiskey.

The pair sat in the snug, with the pub doors locked so no drunk bozo could come waltzing in. Tommy downed his whiskey before answering.

"I just put a bullet in his head." Tommy lent back on his chair, awaiting Lucie's reply.

"Was he lame?" She asked. Trying to hold back her disbelief.

"He looked at me the wrong way, no one looks at Thomas Shelby the wrong way." Lucie thought nothing less.

"What a waste."

"Yeah. A waste is what it was."

Silence. Lucie didn't know what to say, so she just watched Tommy pour himself a fourth glass and down it once more.

"You know in France." Tommy paused, he's breathing laboured and heavy. Lucie watched intently, she always liked hearing about the war for some odd reason. She liked knowing the experiences her brothers went through.

"In France, I got used to seeing men die. Never got used to seeing horses die. They die badly."

Lucie felt sorrow for the man sat in front of her, she knew he felt pain that she could never experience or have common ground on.

"Told Grace to dig out a dress as you asked."

"I'll have no talk of her now." Tommy offered Lucie a cigarette, which she accepted.

Tommy lit a match and lit Lucie's cigarette for her before he set his own alight. Lucie obliged by Tommy's, 'No Grace Talk.' rule, although she was curious about the races.

"It's Cheltenham you're on about, grand affair, is it not?"

"The King will be there."

"Oh Mr. Shelby don't tell me you're trying to bring down Kimber. It just won't work."

"It will Luce, and Grace is all part of the plan, just you wait and see."

Tommy's words lighten Lucie's mood just a little, making her feel less anger towards him. She smiled. Something she hadn't done since yesterday morning. Yesterday morning when she woke up in Tommy's arms.

"Right, Lucie, I remember coming in to my pub to see you singing on this very table. What do you sing?"

"Anything you like."

"Right then." Tommy bashed his hand against the table, rattling the whiskey bottle and the glass that sat upon it. "Up you get, Luce."

Lucie moved the bottle and glass then clambered on to the table where her and Thomas were sat at. She stood facing the man who smoked as he looked up at her.

"Happy or Sad?"

Oh how she hoped he would say happy.

"Sad."

Oh just bloody brilliant, was all Lucie could think.

"Okay." Lucie has registered the pain in Tommy's voice.

"But I warn you, I'll break your heart."

"Already broken."

So she sang for him. A lullaby she sang not days before to his younger brother. Tommy's head fell when Lucie sang. Her angelic voice sending him to sleep.

Lucie jumped off the table, and kissed the gangsters head.

"Goodnight, Thomas Shelby. What the fuck are you doing to my heart, eh?"

Lucie was sat next to Tommy, her head resting on her folded arms. She dreamt of his bright blue eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

465K 16.4K 43
𝐞𝐠𝐨 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐜𝐤 | ❝ in a fight they're malicious, around each other, they melt.❞ ━━━ in which evelyn shelby falls for...
90.3K 2.2K 19
What would happen if Polly's daughter had survived rather than her son? What would happen if Michael wasn't a Shelby but instead fell for one? - Mich...
824K 22.1K 53
In which Thomas Shelby draws up an alliance between his family and that of his rival, not knowing that it's to have far more complications than he th...
2.7K 62 8
In which Lola Shelby learns that love has no bounds