Behind the Eight Ball

By Ruechari

Class Valedictorian, Star Center on the Basket Team, good grades, good kid pretty much sums up Finn Nash a Se... More

Cast list
Chapter 1 - My Encounter with Brynn
Chapter 2 - Time for a talk
Chapter 3 - Best Friends and Crazy Ex's
Chapter 4 - A Not So Simple Problem
Chapter 5 - A Letter For Brynn
Chapter 6 - He shoots and he...Oh, No!
Chapter 7- The Icing War
Chapter 8 - Trying Something New
Chapter 9 - Little Ninja
Chapter 10 - Cupcakes, Crushes & Crazies
Chapter 11- You Make Me Swoon
Chapter 12 - A New Prediction, A New Predicament
Chapter 13 - Curiouser and Curiouser
Chapter 14- A Need to Plan
Chapter 15 - That's Unexpected
Chapter 16 - She is Translucent
Chapter 17 - Who is Rebecca Rose?
Chapter 18 - I'll Be Dreaming of You
Chapter 19 - Stolen Moments
Chapter 20 - Don't you?
Chapter 21 - Meeting Brynn's Gran
Chapter 22 - At a Loss
Chapter 23 - Left Out in the Rain
Chapter 24 - New National Holiday?
Chapter 25 - No Answer
Chapter 26- The Pep Rally
Chapter 27 - Save Game Here
Chapter 28 - Go Get Her, Tiger
Chapter 29- What's Behind the Eight Ball
Chapter 30 - Cuddles?
Chapter 31 - So ship Finn and Brynn
Chapter 32 - "Am I Wrong?"
Chapter 33 - I Hate Mondays
Chapter 34 - The Key to Everything
Chapter 35 - "Really?"
Chapter 36 - That's it!
Chapter 37 - "Ahem!"
Chapter 38 - A Second Date
Chapter 39 - Deal?
Chapter 40 - Won't You Be My Girl?
Chapter 41 - I Love Mondays
Chapter 42 - The Usual Suspects
Chapter 43 WonderBoy?
Chapter 44 - Busted
Chapter 45 - Weird
Chapter 46- House Arrest
Chapter 47- A New Deal
Chapter 48 - What is going on?
Chapter 49- My Worst Fear Realized
Chapter 50 - Friday
Chapter 51 - Time For Another Talk
Chapter 52- Friends?
Chapter 53 - Friend Zoned
Chapter 54- Friends with Benefits?
Chapter 55 - The Lonely Heart's Club
Chapter 56 - Check Please
Chapter 57- Scars
Chapter 58 - WonderBoy
Chapter 59 - Don't Say It
Chapter 60 - Prom?
Chapter 61- My Dinner Date
Chapter 62- Have you lost your mind? Probably
Chapter 63 - All About Adam...
Chapter 64 - Still In Trouble
Chapter 65 - Tell Me!
Chapter 66 - Don't Tell Me
Chapter 68 - Disappointment
Chapter 69 - Friendships
Chapter 70 - Prom Night
Chapter 71 - Everything
Chapter 72- All In
Chapter 73 - Intense Moments
Chapter 74 - The Process of Being In Love
Chapter 75 - So Tired
Chapter 76 Good News - Bad News?
Chapter 77 - Friends?
Chapter 78- I love Mondays... again.
New Book - Part 2

Chapter 67- What Now?

293 27 19
By Ruechari

They were gone for a long time. I began to pace, going out of mind with worry for Brynn, for her grandmother. My Dad kept trying to reassure me it was a good thing. The longer it took, the higher Brynn's chances of being with her grandmother, he reasoned. However, it did nothing to stop the feeling of me wanting to crawl out of my own skin with the nervous energy I felt.

"So no news is good news?"

My dad grins. "Something like that. Look, stay here. I'll go forage for some snacks. I think I'd seen a vending machine back in the other hallway."

"Okay, thanks."

"No problem, kiddo." My dad walks out of the waiting room and again I wait.

My mom shows up. I'm encouraged by the huge smile she is wearing. I stand and walk over to her.

"Brynn is with her Grandmother. Getting information turned out to be much simpler than we thought. Mrs. Rose had Brynn set up as her Emergency Contact so all Brynn had to do was verify who she was. Thankfully she remembered to bring her wallet with her driver's license."

"So Brynn is with her grandmother right now?"

My mom nods her head yes. "Brynn asked if you'd go back with her. They only allow two people in the room at a time, for obvious reasons."

I didn't have to be asked twice. A quick kiss to my Mom's cheek and raced for the doors. My mom had to yell the room number to me. As I rushed through, I turn to give her two thumbs up to let her know I heard her.

I get to the room and Brynn is standing by Gran's bedside holding her hand. Gran looks so fragile lying there in that bed, hooked up to all those monitoring machines. She has that string for oxygen around her face and up her nose. They both give me a weak smile when I come through the doorway.

"Hey there, Loveface. Thanks for bringing my girl to me," Gran said, her voice a mere whisper.

"Happy I could help." I lean over and kiss her cheek. Her pale cheeks flush with a telltale blush. Brynn giggled upon seeing it and looked up at me with shining eyes.

I move over to her side of the bed. Not wanting Gran to have to strain to look back and forth at us. I lean over and give Brynn a kiss on the cheek as well. She rewards me with one of her eye-rolls and I laugh.

"So what happened? Indulge in too many of those delicious cookies now that Brynn isn't around to eat them all."

Brynn smacks me and I pretend it hurt. Gran chuckles a little.

"I wish," she tells us. "It would have been far more fun. Truth is I'm not exactly sure what happened. I got ready to go to Bingo. I knew my friend Merle would be at my apartment soon. We always go together and the next thing I know, I woke up here."

I look to Brynn. "They say anything to you yet?"

"No. They said they ran tests on her when they brought her in but I haven't seen a doctor and Gran just opened her eyes a few minutes ago when your mom and I were here."

"Let me see if I can get someone from the nurse's station to send in a doctor. I'll let them know she's awake."

Both Gran and Brynn nodded. I left the room and approach the nurse's station.

I see a man giving the nurse behind the desk a hard time. He looks panic-stricken. I feel so sorry for these people. It must be terrifying to be woken up in the middle of the night only to find out a loved one is sick, dying or God forbid dead.

He raises his voice and slams a fist down on the counter. He's loud and belligerent to the nurse who is trying her best to keep him calm. She is getting nowhere with this guy. Then I overhear Brynn's name.

"Look I was DOWN in Emergency! They told me to check HERE! Her name is Brynn... that's B. R. Y. N. N. Shelby. S. H. E. L. B. Y."

"I know, Sir but I told you already, we don't have a patient registered with that name."

"She called me ... she said..."

I touched his shoulder and he whirled on me so fast I stumbled backward.

"WHAT?!"

"Mr. Shelby... Sir. I'm a friend of Brynn's. I brought her here."

He grips up my shoulders with a painful vice grip, the desperation for information clearly written across his face.

"Where is she? Is she okay? What's happened to her?!"

"Brynn is fine. Nothing's happened to her. Mrs. Rose is in the hospital. Brynn needed a ride since you had her car. I brought her here."

He lets me go and I try to massage out the fingerprints I'm sure are now permanently etched on my upper arms.

"Oh thank God! She called my phone and left several messages. She was crying so hard I couldn't understand a word she said. Then she calls back and says she's going to Memorial Hospital. That I was to meet her here. I've been going out of my mind wondering what's happened to her. I broke every speed limit between work and this hospital."

I try to smile at him. Well at least I know he really cares about Brynn. I glance at the nurse behind the counter who looks very confused. "There's been a mix-up. He's here to see Mrs. Rose, in room 213. He thought his daughter was in the hospital because of the confusing message she left. Can I take him back to the room?"

"Oh, sure sweetie. Just remember the rule is only two visitors at a time in the room."

"Got it. Oh, and Mrs. Rose is awake and pretty eager to find out what landed her here."

"That's great news. We'll send the doctor in as soon as we can."

"Thank you!"

"You're welcome." She smiles at me but then glares at Mr. Shelby, who didn't even apologize to the nurse when he discovered she told him the truth.

"Come on. I'll take you back."

It was pretty hard to believe after all this time I'm walking next to Brynn's dad. I never thought I would meet him. I wondered if perhaps once the crisis ended I might get the chance to talk to him about Brynn.

"How do you know my daughter?"

I wanted to say she's my girlfriend but knew that wouldn't fly with either him or Brynn so I went with, "From school."

"You go to Central? I didn't know Brynn met any boys there."

"No, her old school. Lenape High?"

"What's with the bruised face?"

I didn't want to tell him the lie I told everyone else as that would really put me in a bad light, so I went with the truth. "I broke up a fight in school and got caught in the crossfire."

"Really? My daughter had an altercation there as well. One of the reasons I pulled her out. I can't say I'm surprised though. Considering who they chose as principal. That woman should be fired. It's obvious she can't handle the job."

The words to defend my mom leaped to my mouth. We arrived at the room so they died on my tongue as our conversation had to end here.

Brynn gasped when she'd seen her Dad standing next to me in the doorway.

"Dad?!"

Gran turned her head and I swear her heart monitor picked up a bit. "Greg."

Mr. Shelby seemed reluctant to step into the room. Almost as if he believed his presence wouldn't be welcome.

"I found this guy by the nurse's station. The nurse said she'll send the doctor back as soon as they nab him. I guess he may be making his rounds."

Brynn and Gran look nervous. I pipe in with, "Since there is a limit to the number of people that can be in the room. I'll go back to the waiting room. Unless..." I wondered if I should leave now that her Dad was here. He could take her home. She didn't really need me anymore.

"Can you stick around?" Brynn asked. She appeared almost shy which looked really out of place on Brynn.

My heart skipped a beat knowing she wanted me to stay. There is no way I'm going anywhere now. "Yeah, sure. I'll tell my parents they can head home though. I can always fill them in later."

"That's a good idea," Brynn said but there seemed to be another meaning behind her words as she glanced to her Dad who still stood like a statue in the doorway.

It took me a second to understand that her Dad seeing my parents may not be a good idea and I tried to reassure her with a smile.

"It was a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Shelby." I held out my hand to him and he shook it but said nothing. I left them together in the room.

My parents were surprised to see me back so soon. "Brynn's dad showed up, looking for Brynn. He thought she was in trouble because of Brynn's messages. It's not surprising. When she called me she only became clear to understand after I calmed her down."

My Mom and Dad look at one another in that parenty way.

"Greg is here?" my mom questions.

I nod my head yes.

"We should go," she says to my Dad who just nods in agreement.

"Umm... Brynn asked that I stay. I totally promise to go home after. I'll just hang out here and I'll fill you both in if I get any word on Mrs. Rose."

My mom looks concerned. "Finn, I don't think that's a good idea."

"I told Brynn that I would, Mom. I can't leave now. She asked me to stay."

My parents exchange that knowing look again. "What your mom is trying to say, Kiddo is that it's probably best if..."

"Hey, Kid!"

I turn to see Mr. Shelby. He walks towards me not making eye contact. "I wanted to apologize for my behavior back there. I was out of my mind with worry and I didn't even say thank you or get your name."

He looks up at me and he froze for a moment.

"Wait, these are your parents?!"

"Finn Nash." I inform him, knowing this wasn't going to go well.

"What the HELL?! What you figured you couldn't get Rebecca back so you're trying to steal my daughter?"

"Don't be absurd!" my mom fires back.

"You know what it doesn't matter because this...," he waves his hand to encompass my form, "is not happening!"

"You're still a selfish bastard, I see," my mom says and I don't like where all this is headed.

"You don't have the right to judge me, Veronica! You have no idea what you put Rebecca through."

"Me?! I'm not the one..."

"Hold on you two..." my dad tries to step in but the gloves are off and both my mom and Mr. Shelby take a step closer, now in a heated battle.

"Finn!" I hear Brynn's shaky voice and see her looking at one of her worst nightmares come to life. My mom and her dad are exchanging some not so friendly words as my dad stands, the referee between them.

One look at her and I knew what I had to do.

"ENOUGH!"

All adult eyes turned to me in that one instant. "When will you all get it into your heads it's not about YOU anymore. Your story is OVER. Now it's about that girl standing right there." I point to Brynn. "LOOK at HER! Can't you see what you're hatred of one another is doing to her? How much more pain does she need to go through before you all decide it's enough?"

Brynn stood there a single tear trailing down her cheek.

My mom caved in that instant. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry, Brynn. Finn's right. This needs to end."

Mr. Shelby, however, was unmoved. He looked at his daughter and saw only pain inflicted on her for knowing me. "I love my daughter, and the best way to protect her is to keep her away from the likes of you." His look of disgust when his eyes met mine spoke way more than his words.

I reached out a hand and grabbed hold of his shoulder to stop him from walking away. "Now wait! You can't keep me from seeing Brynn. I love her, Mr. Shelby and if she needs me I'm going to be here for her."

His eyes pointedly go to my hand on his shoulder. I let him go. "You listen to me, Kid. There is no way in Hell you're getting anywhere near her. You even try it and I'll have you locked up for corrupting a minor. Am I making myself clear?"

"You can't...!"

"Finn." My mom takes my hand and pulls me away, shaking her head no.

Helpless I watch him put an arm around Brynn to lead her back into the ICU and away from me. The lost and hopeless look upon her face as the door closed will haunt me forever.

"Mom, it can't end like this."

When I looked at her my mom's eyes were filled with unshed tears. "I know, Finn. I know, but I'm not sure there is anything we can do."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

142K 5.2K 61
An Indian brother-sister/family story. The Singhania family is the most prestigious family in the country. Together, they seemed to be invincible...
34.2K 1K 15
To save her sister from a cruel marriage, sacrificed herself to the womanizer king.
924K 49.2K 31
Millie Ripley has only ever known one player next door. Luke Dawson. But with only a couple months left before he graduates and a blackmailer on th...
36.4K 1.7K 33
แด…ษชแด แด‡ส€ษขแด‡ษดแด›; แด›แด‡ษดแด…ษชษดษข แด›แด ส™แด‡ แด…ษช๊œฐ๊œฐแด‡ส€แด‡ษดแด› แดส€ แด…แด‡แด แด‡สŸแดแด˜ ษชษด แด…ษช๊œฐ๊œฐแด‡ส€แด‡ษดแด› แด…ษชส€แด‡แด„แด›ษชแดษด๊œฑ.