𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐂𝐀𝐍'𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐏...

By vintagerosepetal

'You can't help it this is just how we were taught to... More

foreword
a c t o n e
i
ii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
a c t t w o
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii*
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
xliv
xlv
xlvi
xlvii
xlviii
xlix
l
final word

iii

31.1K 813 97
By vintagerosepetal

CHAPTER THREE | the devil's apprentice

Lucie and Polly made polite conversation throughout the rest of their time together. Most of the time Polly would be the one asking questions, however the pair got on like a house on fire.

It wasn't until late that night that the boys returned from their 'business'. Arthur and John looked furious and Tommy looked his same calm self.

The three Shelby brothers came bounding into the kitchen, ready to tell their aunt of the day they'd had. However Arthur and John stopped in their tracks and stared at the girl. Lucie smiled at the boys.

"Afternoon, John. Afternoon, Arthur." Lucie smiled.

"Sorry about last night Luce, didn't mean to shout at you, I was drunk." Arthur scratched that back of his neck when he apologised.

"No worries, Arthur." Lucie flashed another smile.

"Right boys Lucie needs a word with Thomas so get out and go to the shop." Polly stood quickly and ushered the boys out the room, despite their arguments and the wolf whistle from John, to which Lucie blushed.

Tommy sat on the settee facing Lucie, who was sat opposite him in the kitchen. Neither of them were speaking, however Thomas wasn't breaking eye contact with Lucie.

"Thomas. The Inspector that's come from Belfast." Lucie's words were caught in her throat, she could see Thomas eyes darken, like an ocean in a storm.

"How do you know about him?" Thomas spat. He was angered at the mention of Campbell.

"I know him, well knew him. Back in home, 5 tons of opium got stolen, him and Grace came round to find who'd stolen it."Lucie was cut off when Thomas stood up and marched over to her.

"Did you say Grace? That new barmaid?"

"So you've met the devil woman."

"I have done, she was listening in on our conversation today. I already thought there was something suspicious. So tell me everything." Tommy moved straight back to the settee and Lucie followed, sitting at the opposite end.

So for hours afterwards Lucie told Tommy everything, every touch Campbell tried on her. The cruel words Grace would spit at the girl. Through the whole tale Tommy devised a plan.

Everyone was to pretend they didn't know about Grace's secret. Act as if they were none the wiser, it would help get Campbell right where Tommy wanted him.

Soon enough their topic changed, moving on to the war.

"Tell me about it, Thomas." Lucie was growing tired so she curled up on the settee, making sure to keep her distance from Tommy.

Thomas recited war stories to Lucie, who eventually fell asleep on the settee, curled up in ball. Polly returned home not long later to see Tommy placing his coat over the girl who slept.

"And you've known her how long, Tommy?" Polly asked smirking.

"She told me about Grace and Campbell. So now I'll tell you the plan." Tommy replied taking another drag of his cigarette.

Lucie had not returned to work in The Garrison for a few days, under Thomas and Polly's orders. Although today she was back. Tommy had told her what to do if Grace questioned Lucie.

'Tell her you'll keep quiet, if you get something in return. Doesn't matter what, just anything.'

Lucie was about to open the pub doors, but she was hesitant. However, she wanted to prove to Tommy that she could do this. She didn't know why but she wanted to prove it to him. Well, she knew exactly why.

She pushed open the doors of the pub to see a few tables filled with men and the door of the snug closed with shadows dancing on the windows.

"Morning Harry, I'm back." Lucie shouted in a song like fashion.

"So she's risen, ain't dead after all, right Luce, the Shelby's want two buckets of beer and a bottle of whiskey." Harry shouted from the back room, whilst Lucie tied an apron around her waist.

"I'm happy to serve them Harry." Spoke an Irish voice. Sending shivers through Lucie.

"Nah, Grace, empty the buckets out back, Luce has got it." Harry shouted back.

Lucie turned her back to the woman, not letting her see her face just yet. Grace collected the buckets and left. Lucie let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

Lucie used her elbow to knock on the snug door, Isaiah opened it for the barmaid, helping her with the tray.

"Evenin' boys, just give us a shout if you need anything." Before she left her and Tommy exchanges a glance, and Lucie shot him a small smile before leaving to serve other customers.

Lucie was behind the bar when John Shelby came and sat in front of her, she poured the man a whiskey and watched him remove the toothpick from his mouth to speak.

"Lucie, you free tomorrow? Need someone to watch the kids." John downed his whiskey and wanted for Lucie's answer.

"Of course John, I love kids, I can be round at nine and leave when you need me to, I'll take the day off tomorrow, sure Harry won't mind." Lucie gave John a sincere smile and topped up his whiskey.

"Thanks, Luce." John began to walk away, before turning to speak to Lucie once more.

"Oh Luce, Tommy's gone to look after his horse, said if you're on lock up to wait for him, he'll want a drink once he's back."

Lucie couldn't help but wonder if Tommy wanted Lucie to wait because he wanted to talk to her. Not just because he wanted a drink later.

Lucie was mindlessly cleaning glasses nearing the end of the shifts, when Grace entered the bar taking off her apron and getting ready to leave. Lucie hadn't noticed Grace was right behind her, so when she turned to put a cup back she came face to face with the devils apprentice.

The glass in Lucie's hands slipped from her grasp when she saw Grace staring right back at her.

"Lilli Scott the little girl, in Birmingham." Grace's voice was laced with hostility.

"It's Lucille, Grace. Nice to see you again." Lucie tried to keep a calm exterior. Although it was hard, the Shelby's left the snug when the glass was smashed, Polly taking Finn home, followed by Isaiah. John and Arthur came rushing towards the two girls who were stood in an intense glare.

"Everything alright ladies?" Arthur asked, directing his question at Grace.

"Everything's alright Arthur, I dropped a glass, Grace was just leaving, weren't you Grace."

She stuttered and spluttered but ran past Arthur and left, not before sending a threatening glance at Lucie.

"You alright, Luce?"

"I'm fine, John, go home don't worry for me."

"See you tomorrow, Luce." John replied and the pair left. Leaving Lucie sat on the bar with a glass of whiskey in her hand waiting for Thomas like John had said.

However, when it turned past five in the morning there was still no sign of Tommy, so Lucie locked up and when to Polly's house, sliding a note for Thomas through the door.

Mr. T Shelby,

John told me you'd be coming back to The Garrison, you never showed up. So I locked up, maybe you changed your mind, wouldn't have hurt to come tell me.

Lucille Elizabeth Scott.

Polly found the note that morning. Tommy had met Campbell that night, and returned to Polly's late and dazed. Polly really liked Lucie and was angry that her nephew left the poor girl in a bar for hours.

"Thomas Shelby you get down here right fucking now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 62 8
In which Lola Shelby learns that love has no bounds
152K 5.1K 30
[COMPLETED] face of an angel, mind of a killer... ( thomas shelby x fem! oc ) ( season 4 - season 5) ( started: June 10th 2021 - finished: May 11th...
233K 5.1K 40
❆ ❆ ❆ 𝕀 𝔽𝔼𝔼𝕃 𝕄𝕆ℝ𝔼 𝔽ℝ𝔼𝔼 𝕋ℍ𝔸ℕ 𝕀 ℍ𝔸𝕍𝔼 𝕀ℕ 𝕐𝔼𝔸ℝ𝕊 𝕊𝕀𝕏 𝔽𝔼𝔼𝕋 𝕀ℕ 𝕋ℍ𝔼 𝔾ℝ𝕆𝕌ℕ𝔻 ❆ ❆ ❆ "𝕐𝕠𝕦 𝕝𝕖𝕗𝕥 𝕗𝕠𝕣 �...
10.1K 325 9
❝ I wrote, every day.❞ ❝ I know. Why?❞ ❝ You hesitated.❞ ▲ [ peaky blinders season 2 ]