Rant ~Yato x Reader AU~

By NoelRoss777

~Yato x Reader AU~ Book 2 of 3 *Began: Monday, August 26, 2019* *Finished: Monday, November 11, 2019* The wor... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1: Smells Like Rain
Chapter 2: Valentine's Day
Chapter 3: Happy Valentine's Day
Chapter 4: I See You
Chapter 5: Seeing a God
Chapter 6: One Cup of Tea
Chapter 7: Twinge
Chapter 8: Happier
Chapter 9: Love of the Black Sand
Chapter 10: Strange
Chapter 11: L/N
Chapter 12: Adopted
Chapter 13: Family
Chapter 14: One Fib
Chapter 15: Morals
Chapter 17: Lantern
Chapter 18: Ties
Chapter 19: Ocean's Lullaby
Chapter 20: He Was
Chapter 21: Triggered
Chapter 22: The Heart's Failure
Chapter 23: Water on the Sand
Chapter 24: Gone with the Spirit
Chapter 25: Hidden Gems
Chapter 26: Walk About
Chapter 27: A Familiar Face
Chapter 28: Shock Tsunami
Chapter 29: The Heartbreak
Chapter 30: Tears of Lonesome
Chapter 31: The Part
Chapter 32: Trenton Greene
Epilogue

Chapter 16: The Date Begins

425 24 3
By NoelRoss777

I don't know why I'm suddenly nervous about this.

After I made my wish to Yato, we ran down a few things. We came up with a story about how we met to tell Hiyori. We came to an agreement about how long we knew each other and other things to iron out before our very fake date with the very real couple. Maybe that's what has me so nervous. This is all fake, but Hiyori will think it's real. She'll think this double date is an actual thing. Both her and Hiroki will think that and as horrible as it sounds, I want them to. I want them to believe it really is a fun little double date because I genuinely want them to have fun. I'll figure out how to deal with the rest later.

With a hardy breath, I smooth the wrinkles in my kimono. It's a traditional attire that I've become quite familiar with over the years of living in Osaka, but I wasn't expecting to put this on again. Not after all this time. However, here I am, back in it as the material bends and moves with me. Honestly, I do feel beautiful in it. It's something I haven't felt since I was with Kaito.

His name. It runs through my mind so effortlessly, but I wish it didn't. I wish that it struggled to roll through my thoughts like how I choke on it when I say it. Even more so...I wish I struggled to remember him, but I can't. He's there. He's always there and I'm always trying to resist indulging those memories. The memories that make me feel things I haven't felt since I last saw him.

I let out another sigh and pull a loose strand of hair behind my ear. There's nothing else to fix. I am ready. I am all set and ready to go...hair, clothes, and makeup...all done. So, I grab my purse and turn, making my way to the stairs.

"Hiyori, I'm all set," I call, glimpsing over my shoulder.

My friend comes in from the other room, wearing her own kimono. It's a pretty pink that makes her unique eyes pop as her long locks remain pulled in a side ponytail. A single flower is nestled behind her ear, her small purse in her hold as a friendly smile lifts her lips.

"Me too," she chimes. "I'm so glad we're doing this! Are you excited, Y/N?"

I smile, "Yeah. I haven't been to a festival in a long while."

"Same," she giggles. "I'm also excited for you to meet Hiroki and to meet the guy you've been seeing."

The guilt tugs at me as we head down to the main level. All week I've been working my best to prepare myself for this night. I need to act eager and excited for her to meet Yato. It's going to be awkward -I know it is- but in the end, I know Yato a hell of a lot better than I know a random guy.

"Same," I lie. "So, are we meeting Hiroki there or are we waiting outside of Seven?"

"There," she replies happily. "What about your date?"

"Also there," I swallow.

"Well then, let's go ahead and head out! We don't wanna leave them waiting," she cheers.

At that, we leave the warm interior of the shop and begin for the nearby festival. All the while, I faked my glee.

***

"Oh, wow," Hiyori gasps. "Look at all the lanterns. They're so pretty."

She's not wrong. Strung up all about are lanterns, their golden hues breaking the darkness. There are so many different types and styles, all decorated and colored differently. Booths are scattered all around, all offering a place to buy a bite to eat or play some games, the sweet smell of cinnamon rolling through the bitter air. Men, women, and children all walk up and down the walkways, all happily chattering. All just...happy.

But it's still beautiful.

"Yeah," I agree with a nod. "They're very pretty." I turn to Hiyori, adding, "What's this festival for, anyway?"

"It's the Light Festival," she giggles, turning to me. "It's to celebrate all things good -all things light. It's also to bring good luck for the coming spring season."

"Oh. I've heard about this festival," I reply. "It's held here?"

She nods, "Yup. I've come to it once before with my family a few years ago. It's really fun."

Her family. I know I've heard the name Iki before, but I still can't remember where. Maybe now is as good as ever to learn it. I mean, we are friends, after all.

"Your family?" I repeat.

"Mmm-hmm," she croons. "My dad, mom, and I came. My older brother couldn't because he has his own life to live."

"You have an older brother?" I question.

"Yup. His name is Masaomi," she replies. "He's a personal physician for our grandmother, so he gets quite busy."

Another doctor. That's what Hiyori is going to school for -to be a doctor. I can't help but wonder if her parents also play an influence in that. After all, that's how things have turned out in my family so far...well, minus me. The family reject and freak. That's how I think about myself, anyway. I know, so uplifting and positive.

"A doctor, eh?" I swallow, fidgeting with my fingers. "It's ambitious. Your brother being a doctor and you studying to be one, I mean. If you don't mind me asking, what do your parents do for a living?"

"Oh, I don't mind," she smiles, facing me. "Actually, my father is also a doctor. He and my mother own the Iki General Hospital."

My eyes go wide as I just stare at her. I feel like a complete idiot. How could I forget that name? How could I forget that hospital? The Iki family name is one of the most renown and well-known names amongst the medical world. I would know. My parents have been to plenty of their seminars and my siblings and I have been dragged to more than a few. In terms of medicine, I should be starstruck. Should be.

"Wow," I gasp. "I should have guessed that. The Iki General Hospital is a large player in the medical world. A lot of neurological research happens there, right?"

Hiyori fidgets with her fingers. "Yeah. So, you know about my parents?"

I shrug, "Iki Sayuri and Iki Takamasa? Who doesn't know them? Your father has an incredible neurological program and your mother is on the board. I'm kinda mad that I didn't put two and two together sooner."

"Don't worry about it," she laughs, waving her hands dismissively. "I don't mind that you didn't figure it out sooner. It was nice to actually not be recognized as their daughter." She lifts her gaze back to the lanterns. "It was nice to just be Hiyori."

Her eyes are both so full of so many different emotions, but the faint smile on her lips tugs at my heart. I can understand how she feels. I get it. More than anyone else, I get it. After all, I am YM/N L/N and YF/N L/N's daughter. Back in H/P (wherever you're from), they were medical rock stars...and I was living in their shadows.

I smile, "You're still Hiyori. You'll always be Hiyori."

She turns to me, grinning, "Thanks."

She opens her mouth to say more when something seems to catch her attention. The expression on her face lights up, her eyes radiating as she nearly glows with glee. She hurries over, my own gaze following her as she stands eagerly beside a tall fellow. Much like almost everyone here, he is dressed in his own tradition kimono, the dark blue material standing against his pale skin. His inky black locks brush against his skin, the glasses on his nose framing him well. Overall, he's cute.

"Y/N, this is Hiroki. Hiroki, this is Y/N," Hiyori beams, bringing him over to me.

"It's very nice to meet you," he smiles. "Hiyori has told me so much about you."

"Likewise," I nod. "It's so nice to finally have a face with the name."

Hiyori chimes, "Y/N, where's your date? Is he here?"

"Hmm, good question," I say.

I scan the crowd, searching for Yato. I told him in advance what we were doing and where earlier this week, so he should be here. After all, this was a wish. As a wish, he has basically promised me this. So, he needs to be here.

I search and search, about to lose hope when I hear a voice behind me huff, "Sorry...sorry that I'm...oh, I need to catch my breath." It says, beckoning me to turn, which I do, only to meet Yato's gaze. "Sorry, I'm late. Got held up doing something."

Relief washes over me as I breathe, "You're fine. Glad you're here. Let me introduce ya to everyone."

I loop my arms through his like any girlfriend does, both of us feeling tense as our muscles grow tight. It's awkward...I can feel it in the air and I don't appreciate it, but I fake a smile and drag him to Hiyori and Hiroki.

"Hiyori, Hiroki, this is my...uh...boyfriend, Yato," I lie, pulling him to me. "And Yato, this is my friend Hiyori and her date, Hiroki."

"Nice to meet you, man," Hiroki beams, extending a hand to Yato.

Yato takes it and gives it a seemingly weak shake when Hiyori steps forward, smiling, "Nice to meet you, Yato."

But he didn't reply.

Not to her.

Just silence.

So, I glimpsed up, my eyes landing on him and what I saw caused a wave of concern to wash over me. Yato standing wide-eyed as his face grew pale.

**Ello lovelies! Okay. This was getting WAY too long, so I needed to end it here. The next update will be the continuation of the date! Hope y'all are ready! That said, whadday'all think will happen next? Any guesses? Feel free to make some! Thank you so freakin' much for everything! Y'all are amazeballs! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

140K 4.6K 65
Finding yourself dirty and cold on the forest floor with no recollection of anything other than nightmares plaguing your mind, obviously you're confu...
14.5K 802 52
~Yato x Reader AU~ Book 3 of 3 *Began: Monday, November 18, 2019* *Finished: Monday, March 9, 2020* When a possible realization is made about ninetee...
123K 4.4K 42
~Levi x Reader AU~ Book 3 of 3 *Began: Monday, January 22, 2018* *Finished: Monday, April 23, 2018* Y/N L/N has faced some major changes in her life...
122K 4.6K 35
~Levi x Reader AU~ Book 2 of 3 *Began: Monday, October 23, 2017* *Finished: Monday, January 8, 2018* All hell has broken loose in Y/N L/N's life. She...