The Secret King

By Gadralneure

Eylysia, is a world of magic and wonder. Humans and beasts live side by side as equals and depend upon the gu... More

Prologue
A Fishing Trip
Deev Castle
Voyage of the Lily
In Thoth
Wizards in Gleneden
After the Storm
Wiccinas
Xenoth
Gleaners
Gadral Neure
Missing Friends
The Rising of the Moon
Pirate
Attack on Sapphire Mountain
The Mountain
Theft
The Race Begins
The Albatross
Castaways
Xenophus
Ozab
The Parrot and the Pirate
Comrades
The Golden Grub
The Deev Arrive
The Belly of the Beast
Up and Away
Minga
Reunion
The Corsair
A Leader is Chosen
Journey to Seth-e-Raman
Battle of the Sugarmill
Arrival
The Assassin's Legacy
Dark Plans
Preparations Are Made
The Mission Begins
The Ürgod
The Secret King Revealed
Escape From Seth-e
The Rubitar Below
On the Eve
Captured
The Assault Begins
Liberation
Escape From Xenoth
Return to Thoth
Travelers
A Gaffer Arrives
Spider Glass
Arisha
The Asherouboros
A Task Begun
A Task Completed
Two Brothers
Gifts
Xezee Juice
Venom
Onboard the Windspirit
The Deev Return
The Gaffer's Quest
Northbound
On the Road
Underway
A Reluctant Ally
Outward Bound
Racing
Pirates
A Meeting of Minds
The Deep
The Master of Assassins
Mongooses
World's End
A Plan For Battle
The Arrival
Enemies
Deception
Battle of the Bay
Out to Sea
A Beast Amazed
Prophecies Fulfilled
Into The Storm
Traitor's Fate
Calm Seas
Port Saud
A Promise Kept
The Stage is Set
The Hunters Arrive
The Attack Begins
Dawn of the Awakening
The World Shakes
Xenophus Rising
The Eager Nemesis
The Final Sacrafice
The Golden Palms
Clash of the Titans
The Battle is Joined
To The Death
The Secret King No More
Ymeresh
Epilogue

Brothers Reprieved

20 5 7
By Gadralneure

The pirate and Deev vessels were proceeding out of Minga Harbor at a leisurely pace. The large and heavily armed brigantine, the Neure, had been appropriated by the Deev and its crew augmented by beasts from the sunken Ghost of the Seas, the late Captain Greensap's ill-fated vessel. The Flying Fox, once the ship of the murdered Captain Redbush was now under the command of the newly promoted Captain Mauby.

The Deev's original ship, the Windspirit was given to Captain Hogbrow and his crew. One of the Brotherhood ships which had come through the battle unscathed, the Xenos was claimed by Captain Yellowtooth. Captain Tonguescab, having lost his right leg in the battle stayed behind and his crew split between the Neure and the Flying Fox. Of all the vessels of the pirate fleet, only the Crimson Rose and it's crew remained manned as it had been upon its arrival in Minga.

It was decided by the Brethren and the Deev that it would no longer be necessary to hide their purpose from the Scarlet Brotherhood. They would attack upon their arrival on Xenoth in the hope that Vasheron's planned coup would be ready to commence and take its cue from the pirate's assault on Deev Castle and the Brotherhood compound.

Captain Willum Crookfang merely listened during the strategy meetings, offering few suggestions and no objections. Willum decided to play his hand very close to the chest, completely distrusting the Deev and having no illusions about his fellow pirates. He sat in his quarters onboard the Rose, eating lunch and explaining his plans to Wilbur, the Scratchbacks, and Ursamus. Max had volunteered to scout ahead to Xenoth and report back with any news of Brotherhood activity.

The cabin-beast had just begun to serve everyone some soup when Willum laid out his thoughts to his friends.
"First off, let me tells ya how proud I am of you fellers," he smiled at Gella, "and lady...ya done yerselves proud. A finer bunch o' fighters I ain't ever seen. Now, havin' said that, we got a lot harder times ahead. Don't get too comfortable about havin' these corsair and Deev coves watchin' yer backs...ain't a one of them to be trusted. They got their agenda and we got ours and they ain't the same in no fashion whatsoever.

"Them fellow pirates don't give a squid about the Ürgod...don't reckon 'e exists...all they're a worryin' about is getting' back ta piratin'... and the Deev...hell, 'ow do ya figger what a devil really wants? Ya can't, 'ceptin' ta know whatever it is...it ain't gonna be good fer ya," he slammed his open paw onto the table to refocus his thoughts, "anyway, we'll hang with these coves till we kin slip off ta land on Xenoth. We got a time limit...the full moon, they don't give squat about the ceremony, so they might just hang about without doin' nuthin'," he smiled, "it's sad ta say, but us pirates can be right lazy when it suits us. We'll sit around drinkin' and scoffin' till we got no choice but ta do something. Well, the Rose can't wait, we got us an appointment with Azmeritus we need ta keep. With a bit of luck..." he put his arm on Wilbur's shoulder, "that fine uncle of yorn'll be back with help like 'e said 'e would."

"You can count on Egbert!" Wilbur said proudly, "He always keeps his word."

"I believe ya, matey. Anyways, fer now till we moor, we'll just stay alert. I reckon if we keep this pace up we'll make Xenoth in four days. That'll give us only two till that bleached villain Azmeritus wakes up that monster of his, so we won't have no time ta waste. That's about all I got ta tell ya."

He took a spoonful of his soup and his eyes lit up. A huge smile spread across the cat's features and he shouted to the cabin-beast, "Get that food-rustler what made this soup in here now!" Startled, the young rat cabin-beast hurriedly exited the cabin to do what he was told. Everyone at the table stared at Willum with curiosity.

Gella spoke up.
"Is something wrong with the soup? It tastes wonderful."

"Aye," Willum chuckled. The cabin door opened and a familiar disheveled sable stepped in, "And there's the reason why...only Cookie kin make a fine callaloo soup like that and I ain't had a bowl in goin' on five years." Burgle Tootspin smiled. He'd always liked being called 'Cookie'.

"Well cap'n," the sable said, "I'm kinda tired o' bein' a barkeep, so I let me dear wife Fiona run the Demon's Breath fer a while. Everyone's pretty scared o' her, so they'll mind 'er well. I needed the sea under me feet agin, cap'n, and I figgered ya could use a beast what knows how ta keep ya fed proper."

Willum stood and firmly shook Burgle's paw.
"Welcome aboard Mister Tootspin. I sure missed yer cookin'! Makes this whole mess worthwhile knowin' I'll taste that fine chow o' yourn agin."

Cookie smiled broadly and nodded at the beasts sitting around the table. His eyes came to rest on Wilbur, who had completely abandoned his pirate disguise and scarred makeup. He grinned at the young mole.
"Ya heal real well, young mole," he said nonchalantly.

Wilbur blushed in embarrassment and answered shyly.
"Oi believe that your soup has cured me, Cookie."

Willum laughed and clapped Wilbur on the back.
"I told ya his cookin' was like magic!"

Onboard the Neure, Prince Vasheron was excited at the prospect of battle. The pirates had proved themselves superior warriors, in his eyes at least, to the typical Scarlet Brother. The Deev leader did not expect the corsairs to actually defeat the Brotherhood, merely provide enough of a threat to allow he and his Minge brethren to broach the castle and eliminate Azmeritus and install Chief Acolyte Zaphyr in his stead. Once through the mystical barrier around Xenoth, the Deev could not be killed, merely captured. With several crews of vicious pirates leading the way, capture was inconceivable... an impossibility.

Vasheron sat in the luxurious captain's quarters of his new ship. Captain Mobus sat with him, studying the map of Xenoth upon which the Prince had outlined his plan of attack. He looked up at his liege to see the Minge lord staring intently at him.

"Is something wrong, my lord?" Mobus asked.

Vasheron pointed at Mobus' scarred face, outlining the injury with his fingertip.
"You should have a mask made at the first opportunity, Mobus. Your appearance is quite unpleasant."

Mobus hid his resentment.
"Yes, my prince. I'll see to it as soon as this campaign is over."

Vasheron stood.
"Good, but your disfigurement does bring the Rubitar to mind. We need to send word to Colonel Taois in Port Saud. He should have the Rubitar by now and I don't want him doing anything but holding it there till we have installed a new High Priest for the Brotherhood."

"Shall I arrange for several of our Minge to take one of the Neure's sailing skiffs to Port Saud and deliver your instructions? We are barely off the coast and not yet fully into the Narrows, it will be a fairly quick voyage."

Vasheron thought for a moment.
"This is too simple a mission to waste our warriors on. I want all my Minge with me on Xenoth. No, we will send some of the regular crew we have hired. Are you familiar with our sea-beasts?"

"Not all of them, sire, but some." Mobus responded.

"Do you remember that ferret who had the Abitar blade, he seemed obedient. Can he be trusted to deliver the message?"

Mobus smiled.
"One of the Fishpaw brothers. They are dim, but have caused no trouble. They seem appropriately terrified of you, Prince. I trust they will do whatever you ask without question."

"Good, send them both to me immediately and prepare one of the skiffs with sail and supplies."

"It will be done, my Lord." Mobus exited the cabin.

Squeeker and Squawker were mortified to learn that Vasheron wished to see them. Squeeker had convinced himself that Vasheron knew they had overheard the Prince's plan to betray and murder the pirate fox, Redbush, and was sending for them to eliminate any witnesses. He did not share his concern with his brother, wishing to spare him from the gut-wrenching fear he was feeling.

The two ferrets entered the cabin. Vasheron sat at his desk and glanced up at them coldly. Squeeker could think of nothing to say and remained quiet, his stomach churning and his knees shaking. Finally Vasheron spoke.
"There is something I require of you," he said flatly.

Squeeker, still unable to speak, merely nodded furiously.

"I am having transport prepared for you both to Port Saud. Select three other trustworthy crew-beasts to accompany you. When you arrive in Port Saud, seek out the harbor-master, an otter, his name is Crefor. He will direct you to our residence in town where Colonel Taois is headquartered. You will inform the Colonel to wait there with the item...he will know of what I speak....to wait there till I send word. You will remain in Port Saud under his command. Do you understand your mission?" Vasheron concluded.

Squeeker couldn't believe his ears. A wave of relief swept through his body so strongly that he nearly collapsed. He righted himself and took a deep breath before answering.
"You kin count on us, Prince Vasheron, we won't let ya down!" he said with a bit too much enthusiasm.

Vasheron grinned cruelly as he answered.
"I know you won't, not if you value your lives," he sat back in his chair and waved dismissively at the pair, "now go! Choose your crew. I will provide written instructions before you depart so there will be no room for misunderstanding. I want your boat launched within the hour."

Squeeker and Squawker left without another word. As soon as they were back on deck, Squeeker gave Squawker an exuberant hug. Squawker stared at his brother dumbly and asked.

"What's goin' on Squeek? Are we in trouble?"

Squeeker laughed loudly.
"No, you silly ox! We just got saved is what happened! We ain't gonna have to fight no more, we're leavin' this death ship is what's happening."

A smile spread over his hulking brother's face.
"That is good. Are we still gonna get paid so's we kin buy that there bar?"

Squeeker lightly slapped his brother in the head.
"Probably not, but we're gonna live, which I was startin' ta doubt."

Squawker sighed.
"I woulda liked that bar, but I guess bein' alive is better."

"Bein' alive is everything Squawk, all that other stuff, the bar included is just whipped cream on top of it."

"I like whipped cream." Squawker said dreamily.

"I know ya do bro, I know ya do and we'll get some for us in Port Saud."

Squawker smiled warmly and draped his arm around his smaller brother's shoulder.
"I'd like that, I surely would."

Port Saud was a destination for more beasts than simply the Fishpaw brothers. Among them, Colonel Taois was perhaps the angriest. He and his three Deev subordinates had not had a pleasant journey north. He resented being forced to flee Seth-e-Raman, he resented having his mission fail, but most of all he resented Herman Corkspike, who, in his mind was the cause of all his woes. The larger mission, that of retrieving the Rubitar, no longer concerned him. His honor had been compromised, he had been humiliated and correcting that insult was all that drove him now. As his band worked their way through the dunes and wetlands outside Seth-e-Raman, he fumed, imagining the countless ways he intended to make the hedgehog suffer.

It was slow-going for the four Minge warriors, hiking across sand makes for an arduous journey and sloshing among the patches of soggy vegetation in the wetlands was no better. It was with relief and cruel intent that the fugitives finally stumbled into a small seaside fishing village and spied several fishing boats moored along the strand.

Seizing a small catboat was a simple matter and could probably have been accomplished silently, without confrontation, but Taois needed to vent his fury. The simple fishing beasts preparing for a days work never understood the reason they were attacked. They surrendered immediately upon seeing the odd clouds of brown smoke turn into four heavily-armed and evil-looking mink. Their surrender did not matter to the Deev at all. When the catboat left the village, four innocent creatures lay dead in the sand, slaughtered needlessly by order of the increasingly unstable Colonel Taois.

The small boat was not swift, but a steady breeze kept it on course for Port Saud. Taois sat in the center of the craft, silent. In his mind he played the failed attempts to retrieve the Rubitar again and again. He could not come to terms with his failure. Now all that mattered was returning to Seth-e-Raman and avenging his honor. He would go to Port Saud and regroup. He would plan his vengeance...not just the large hedgehog, but anyone the large hedgehog held dear. He would make him suffer the way he himself was suffering and then when the hated beast had no more to lose, he would assassinate the Master of Assassins.

Herman, too, was on his way to Port Saud, but in a great deal more comfort than the Deev were experiencing. He sat with Vattus in a royal carriage and snored lightly. The roads had been dry and clear and the journey without incident. Accompanying the hedgehog and the wizard was a platoon of King Sigus' most highly trained soldiers.

Vattus stared fondly at his sleeping friend. He knew that it was only through Herman's determination and bravery that the wizard was still among the living. The Magus' recovery was almost complete and while he still felt weak he knew he was obliged to help track down the rogue Minge who had so determinately tried to steal the Rubitar and murder anyone who stood in their way.

The wizard had decided with a reasonable amount of certainty that the fugitive Deev were bound for Port Saud. There were no other cities to the north of Seth-e that would meet the Deev's needs. They had first appeared in full-sized sailing vessels and of the small villages and medium-sized towns along the Western coast in the direction the Deev fled, only Port Saud had a deep enough harbor to accommodate ships of that size.

The wizard correctly deduced that somewhere in Port Saud the Deev had a secret residence where they could hide safely and that that was where they were bound. Vattus did not believe in vengeance and had he felt that Herman's quest was for that purpose alone, he would have talked his friend out of this journey, but he acknowledged that these particular Deev were an ongoing and imminent threat, not only to the Corkspikes, but to the world itself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58 16 10
It is a difficult thing to become a knight, but Gwen is determined to be the best of them all. When the opportunity presents itself, Gwen learns that...
2.6K 32 15
1300 years after they are first called, the Pevensies are brought back to the land they once ruled over. A group of pirates who had journeyed throug...
74K 3K 104
Davina Targaryen had her heart broken too many times. Maybe she was missing the person that was right in front of her all along. 🔥 "And if I'm dea...
209 0 5
Currently being rewritten! Origonally written in 2016 BOOK TWO: I am Perry Donnan. A vampire prince and other half to the strongest woman in the univ...