The Secret King

By Gadralneure

Eylysia, is a world of magic and wonder. Humans and beasts live side by side as equals and depend upon the gu... More

Prologue
A Fishing Trip
Deev Castle
Voyage of the Lily
In Thoth
Wizards in Gleneden
After the Storm
Wiccinas
Xenoth
Gleaners
Gadral Neure
Missing Friends
The Rising of the Moon
Pirate
Attack on Sapphire Mountain
The Mountain
Theft
The Race Begins
The Albatross
Castaways
Xenophus
Ozab
The Parrot and the Pirate
Comrades
The Golden Grub
The Deev Arrive
The Belly of the Beast
Up and Away
Minga
Reunion
The Corsair
A Leader is Chosen
Journey to Seth-e-Raman
Battle of the Sugarmill
Arrival
The Assassin's Legacy
Dark Plans
Preparations Are Made
The Mission Begins
The Ürgod
The Secret King Revealed
Escape From Seth-e
The Rubitar Below
On the Eve
Captured
The Assault Begins
Liberation
Escape From Xenoth
Return to Thoth
Travelers
A Gaffer Arrives
Spider Glass
Arisha
The Asherouboros
A Task Begun
A Task Completed
Two Brothers
Gifts
Xezee Juice
Venom
Onboard the Windspirit
The Deev Return
Northbound
On the Road
Underway
A Reluctant Ally
Outward Bound
Racing
Pirates
A Meeting of Minds
The Deep
The Master of Assassins
Mongooses
World's End
A Plan For Battle
The Arrival
Enemies
Deception
Battle of the Bay
Out to Sea
A Beast Amazed
Prophecies Fulfilled
Into The Storm
Brothers Reprieved
Traitor's Fate
Calm Seas
Port Saud
A Promise Kept
The Stage is Set
The Hunters Arrive
The Attack Begins
Dawn of the Awakening
The World Shakes
Xenophus Rising
The Eager Nemesis
The Final Sacrafice
The Golden Palms
Clash of the Titans
The Battle is Joined
To The Death
The Secret King No More
Ymeresh
Epilogue

The Gaffer's Quest

24 6 11
By Gadralneure

It had been a long and relentless journey back to Seth-e-Raman for Herman and Winnie. Both hedgehogs were sore and tired by the time their carriage pulled up in front of King Sigus' Palace.

Herman had barely managed any sleep during the many days of rough roads, bad weather, and sparse meals. He was consumed by an unwieldy combination of guilt and purpose. The guilt that gnawed at him was twofold. He felt as though he was deserting his friends at a time of great need and worried that the tank he had created may have some unseen flaw making it unusable for its purpose, but even more than this concern, what bothered him most was concealing Vattus' declining health from those beasts who cared so deeply for the wizard. He had done so, of course, at Vattus' stern command, but that fact did little to mitigate the feeling that he was lying.

Winnie had fared slightly better, managing both snippets of sleep and full meals during the return south. Each time the carriage's pulling team was changed, four in all, the small hedgehog had filled his belly and tried to encourage his brother to do the same, with no success. Having arrived at their destination, they were surprised to find a royal escort waiting at the palace's entrance ready to take them to Vattus' quarters as soon as they exited the cab. They quickly traversed the royal gardens and entered the rear of the main structure, hustling urgently up the spiral interior stairwell to the second story where the wizard's room was located.

The escort left them at the door and Herman knocked loudly. The door opened revealing the old wizard, Pellus, who quickly introduced himself and led Herman and Winnie to a far window where Vattus lay, unmoving, in a large covered bed.

The High Magus looked very drawn and pale. Small droplets of perspiration covered his forehead and his breathing was raspy and shallow. He appeared to have lost a significant amount of weight. Every few minutes a quiver seemed to pass through his body, causing his hands and torso to quake while weak moans passed his bluish lips.

Herman was aghast and addressed Pellus urgently.
"Mister Vattus looks like 'e's on death's door, kin he wake or eat?"

Pellus shook his head.
"He hasn't been conscious in four days. He's very weak. I've been pouring broth and sugar water down his throat to keep him from starving, but unless we recover the Rubitar very soon so we can break my friend's bond with the stone...I'm afraid he will pass from our world. Before he lapsed into this fitful sleep, Vattus expressed his confidence in you, Mister Corkspike. He said you had a plan to recover the Rubitar from under the sea, I hope his faith in you was justified."

Herman rubbed his paw through his head-spikes and remained silent. Winnie stepped forward and placed his paw on Pellus' arm. The old wizard looked down into the smiling face of the young beast. He could not help but return the smile as Winnie spoke.
"If Hermie thinks he kin do it, he can. Hermie don't brag and he's a fine inventor o' things," Winnie pointed to a large concrete block in the center of Vattus' room, "That there is where my brother caught them nasty Deev-things what tried to kill us. It were one of his inventions what done it. He'll save Mister Vattus for sure."

Even Herman broke into a grin, despite the dire condition of Vattus and his own exhaustion.

"My liddle brother is me biggest fan. Mister Pellus, I stands by what I told Vattus afore I left for Thoth, I reckon I kin recover that there Rubitar so long as I can figger out just where it lies. I'll be needin' some stuff from my workshop," he handed several sheets of paper to the old wizard, "if you can get me a space and this stuff, I'll get started."

Pellus looked at the list and diagrams. He grabbed Herman's paw warmly and gripped it tight, then ruffled Winnie's head.
"I have no doubt Vattus' confidence in you is well deserved. I'll get these to King Sigus and have everything you need brought here. You look exhausted after your journey. The King has arranged for a room and some nice beds for you. Go and sleep, get rested. I'll see that you get some food sent to you as well. By the time you awaken, everything will be set up and ready to go."

Herman smiled a weary smile.
"I reckon some sleep will do me brother and me a whole lot of good. Thanks Mister Pellus and don't worry, I'm gonna make sure this works. We'll get that Rubitar up if we kin find out where she went down."

"Let me worry about locating it," Pellus said scratching his chin, "I've got an idea myself on that matter. You just focus on recovering it."

"Will do, now which way to that bed?"

Even as Herman and Winnie bedded down for their much needed sleep, a dense gentle fog rolled along the cobbled streets of Seth-e-Raman. The mist took its silent course along the waterfront and up to the palace of King Sigus. Soon the castle was enshrouded, appearing from a distance to be sitting an a pillow of spun sugar.

Unseen in the white mist, four small clouds of brown smoke made their way into the palace grounds. They separated and found strategic locations in which to spy effectively on the beasts wishing to recover the Rubitar.

Herman woke from his much needed sleep early the next morning. Pellus was as good as his word and with the help of King Sigus' palace guard, had set up the royal smithy as a workshop for the hedgehog, complete with all the materials that Herman would need.

Anxious to see the set-up and begin their work, Herman and Winnie opted to eat breakfast in the blacksmith shop. Pellus was happy to join them and was impressed to see that Herman had begun to convert the forge to suit his needs before the meal arrived. Winnie was mixing ingredients to his brother's specifications and smiled broadly when breakfast finally arrived. It was set on the shop's workbench with three stools. Pellus and Winnie sat down and began eating as Herman stoked up the furnace to heat during the meal. He was finally satisfied and sat down, gratefully shoveling eggs and potatoes into his ample mouth.

Pellus chuckled.
"I'm glad our breakfast agrees with you sir."

Herman spoke as he chewed.
"I ain't no sir, Mister Pellus, just call me Herman or Hermie and ta respond to yer observation, these are fine vittles, especially to a starvin' soul like meself."

"Is everything we prepared satisfactory?" the old wizard asked.

"Better'n I coulda hoped sir. Your helpers did a fine job. With a little bit of luck, me and Winnie should have everything we need to get that there stone back in the next coupla days." He wiped his mouth on the blacksmith apron he was wearing, "Have we had any luck figgerin' out how to locate the thing?"

Pellus leaned forward and smiled.
"I had to do a great deal of hard thinking, no mean task for an old codger like myself, but I think I've solved that particular problem."

Winnie chimed in.
"How are we gonna do it Mister Pellus?"

The old wizard held out what appeared to be a solitary strand of long white thread.

"With this, my little friend."

Winnie examined the thread carefully, then looked up at the wizard.
"What is it?"

"It's a strand of Vattus' beard. Remember, he is bound to the Rubitar until we can release him. He is bound both spiritually and physically. The stone is trying to draw him closer...all of him...watch this."

Pellus reached into his pocket and took out a spool of thread. He tied one end around the hair and let out a small amount from the spool so that the hair hung about six inches below his hand. Almost immediately the hair moved urgently and noticeably to the right. Winnie's eyes widened and Herman smiled broadly.

Pellus continued, "It works like a compass, except that instead of pointing north, it points to the Rubitar and will continue to do so until either the bond is broken or...," he lowered his eyes, "Vattus passes from this plane."

"Don't you fret sir," Herman said with confidence as he finished his meal and stood, "we'll save mister Vattus. My plan is simple enough. I'm a gonna run a hose from two sets of big bellows I'm buildin' to a glass bubble what's gonna cover some beasts head. We'll keep pumpin' air to 'im, weigh him down and lower him into the sea where the Rubitar is at. I'll make it so he can strap the glass helmet on so it don't float off'n his head and such.

"He'll take a rope with 'im and when he finds the stone, he'll tie it off and we'll raise 'em both. It should work. You just gotta find me a fit fella ta go down. I'll need ta measure his head afore I blow the glass so I can be sure it'll fit."

Pellus patted Herman gently on the back.
"I'll go secure a volunteer from the royal guard and return."

"No great rush, Mister Pellus, me and Winnie gotta build the bellows and get enough hose connected. They tell me the stone's a hundred feet down, so I'll need to make our hose twice that long. I figger I won't be blowin' the helmet till sometime around sunset. Make sure you let them fellers know that it's gonna be right scary down under the deep, so we'll need a pretty nervy feller."

"I'll see to it," Pellus said with a nod.

Outside the Blacksmith shop, a patch of Deev-smoke listened intently before oozing its way back through the palace grounds and onto the main thoroughfare where it could safely resume its Minge-form and head back to report to Colonel Taois. In an a foul-smelling alley adjacent to the fishing docks, the smoke re-integrated itself into the form of Lieutenant Hurras.

Taois had set his headquarters in the same shanty by the bayside that the Deev had used the last time they were in Seth-e-Raman. The landlord was both happy for the revenue and disturbed by the renewed presence of the war-like and arrogant minks, but knew better than to take any notice of his tenants.

Hurras entered the building and hurried up the rickety stairs to the Colonel's quarters. He knocked loudly and announced himself. Taois admitted his subordinate and sat sipping some strong coffee while awaiting the Lieutenant's report. After saluting and snapping to attention, Hurras spoke.

"Colonel, I am pleased to report that we have discovered plans to recover the Rubitar."

"Report, Hurras," Taois ordered tersely.

"The large hedgehog is organizing the effort..."

"You mean the leader of the Assassin's Guild, the one who appears to be a buffoon?" the colonel interrupted.

"Yes, sir. He is constructing some kind of apparatus which will allow them to submerge in the bay and recover the stone. He said it would be ready in the next several days. They are looking for a volunteer from Sigus' royal guard to do the actual recovery."

Taois stroked the fur on his chin.
"I see...I have underestimated that creature before, we will assume that he will succeed in contriving this device."

"Should we kill him sir?"

Taois stood.
"No! We will let them do the work for us. Let them recover the Rubitar, we will take it from them when it has been recovered from the deep. I for one have no desire to plunge a hundred feet under the murky sea when other beasts are willing to do it for us. After all, we know the approximate location where the stone went down, we will lie in wait nearby and board their salvage craft when they are preoccupied with raising the relic.

"When they have it, we will take it from them...then and only then will we kill the hedgehog and everyone with them." He thought for a moment, then continued, "Go back to the palace, keep two Deev with you and have the others return here immediately. Maintain your watch on the assassin and contact us as soon as they are ready to proceed with the recovery.

"We will secure a craft and make anchorage near where the stone went down. You and your comrades will attempt to secret yourself aboard the salvage craft. When the Rubitar is safely onboard, kill everyone and signal us. We will take you onboard and then proceed to Port Saud with the stone and await Prince Vasheron's orders, are my instructions clear?"

"Yes, Colonel Taois. I will leave immediately and relay your orders to my beasts."

"Good, now make haste."

Lieutenant Hurras saluted and left. Taois watched as his subordinate departed. He smiled to himself. Soon, he thought, the Rubitar would be back in Deev paws and vengeance for their humiliation at the paws of the fat hedgehog would be achieved.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209 0 5
Currently being rewritten! Origonally written in 2016 BOOK TWO: I am Perry Donnan. A vampire prince and other half to the strongest woman in the univ...
4.4K 121 18
DISCLAIMER: This story is currently under EXTREME revising and editing! COMPLETED | 06/01/2015 REVISIONS STARTED | 07/16/2020 Book 1 of the FTFT seri...
871 273 50
|8x Featured| Wonderful cover created by @MissRoseDesigns In the heart of the misty woods of Väria, 10-year-old Kiäna Yolngu comes across three pecu...
2.5M 144K 50
"As soon as you believe you are a monster is when you become one." After many years of war, the kingdom of Edria is finally in an era of peace--peace...