Dark Queen: The Cybelline Pro...

By dramatictealeaves

A 21st century covert ops agent, Cybelline found herself transported to a medieval world of magic and war wit... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101 - The End (Double Update Read 100 First)
Epilogue - Jinon & Kyria - Part 1 of 3
Epilogue - Jinon & Kyria - Part 2 of 3
Epilogue - Jinon & Kyria - Part 3 of 3
Epilogue - Miri - Part 1 of 3
Epilogue - Miri - Part 2 of 3
Epilogue - Miri - Part 3 of 3
Miri's Poem - The Saddest Goodbye

Chapter 70

10.2K 692 227
By dramatictealeaves

Cybelline looked at the man riding beside her. He was one of the best looking men she had ever seen, and if he was any colder, she was sure he could've eradicated global warming on her old world.

Killian, looked over, and Cybelline quickly looked away and kneed her horse into a gallop. Killian wondered if he'd imagined it.

"Do you think my lord is really interested in that woman?" Jacen asked Lord Evan. Their voices were muffled by the wind.

"If I were you, I wouldn't speculate about the personal life of a man who could kill you with two fingers." Lord Evans muttered, then, after a while, he sighed, "I think my lord has no idea about women." His lord's intensity was enough to scare this woman away. And then he would be single forever.

"If only he hadn't refused every maiden, perhaps he would've gained some experience." Jacen pointed out, "The most interaction I've seen him have with one was when that lady snuck herself into his rooms, and he had soldiers throw her out the window."

Lord Evan thought for a moment and sighed, "Gods, why does our lord keep throwing women out of windows?"

Lord Jacen glared at Cybelline's back, "Not that it matters, no woman can resist our lord, even when his face is colder than a block of ice."

"Clearly that lady in front is the exception to the rule. She's resisting him quite well." Lord Evan pointed out.

"But we know nothing about her. What does she have that other women more worthy doesn't have--"

A rock flew towards his head and Jacen hurriedly dodged it. He looked up at disbelief at Lord Killian's back. That was his imagination right? Why did it seem like the rock came from Lord Killian's direction.

Cybelline hadn't heard any of the conversation, she rode ahead, following the small spot of light that was the Augur's scying spell. The Augur had created a spell to point them in the right direction, they had been following it for a while now. The darkness of the night was beginning to lighten as the first hint of light threatened to spill over the land.

They stopped to rest their horses, it had been a hard ride. Jacen walked up to Killian, "My lord, the Fae and the Folk of the Kinloch forest have been on the move. Should we send our people?"

Killian took the note from Jacen, "Send the eastern army." Then he rose to follow Cybelline back onto the road once more.

Soon the Augur's spell wasn't needed, broken trees and blackened grass greeted them. Cybelline held up a hand and the men stopped. "We go on foot."

Killian's men were exceptionally good at following orders, and seeing that their master had no objections, they strung up their horses and followed Cybelline.

Cybelline tracked the fresh footsteps, listening for the telltale signs of other humans as she lead the small team forward.

Killian couldn't help but admire her quick decisive nature. This was a warrior who knew what she was doing.

They arrived at a small hill. A woman, her hair glistening with water droplets sat by the fire looking down at the man whose head was on her lap. She seemed to be lost in thought as her finger traced his brow.

Miri had never touched the face of a man before, this man, though he had given her the first impression that he was frail and sickly, was surprisingly sturdy. She had not expected him to weigh so much when she first dragged him out of the water. She looked guilty at the bruise forming at his temple, she had accidentally bumped his head when she dragged his body to the shore.

"Miri," Cybelline said softly. She patted the girl's freezing cheek, the fire had not dried them completely on this cool night. She gently took her cloak off and settled it into the girl's shoulder.

A thick cloak that smelled of vaguely of peppermint gently settled on her own shoulders. Cybelline looked around in surprise, but Killian and already stepped back to give the sisters some space. She examined the black material and found it to be both light and durable. It still held some of his body temperature.

When was the last time someone had offered her a coat when she was cold? She couldn't remember.

"Ahem." A voice echoed. Cybelline looked up and the magic of the Augur suddenly rippled and stretched, and a transparent Augur stood in front of her. She raised her eyebrow.

The Augur looked annoyed, "I didn't want to be here either, but Ithos and Myrai insisted that I sent my magical projection through to make sure that everyone is safe." He then muttered underneath his breath, "Making me use a great deal of magic to chaperone a pair of lo--" But he was cut off by what seemed be Ithos' elbow in his ribs.

Cybelline coughed and nodded, "We'll be right back."

She bent down, "Miri, let's go home."

Miri looked up, a little confused, "He's too injured, we can't move him."

"His own people will take care of him. They're on the way." Cybelline responded, "He'll be fine."

Miri looked down at Jasreth, "Can't we stay? I just want to make sure he's safe."

"Why?" Cybelline asked gently, "What has he done to make you care about him?"

Miri opened and closed her mouth, she looked at her sister with a confused looked, "But he needs help."

"His people will come. He's a prince, you don't need to worry about him." Cybelline knelt by her sister, "He has an entire nation to look after, and an entire nation of people to look after him. We shouldn't be too close to these people."

"But..." Miri looked at the prince, "But what if he dies here? That would be the saddest goodbye."

That moment, the Augur appeared in front of the sisters. He looked down at Miri and gave a sigh, "Child, the saddest goodbye is not when someone dies."

Cybelline glared at the Augur, "She's too young for that kind of riddle." She patted Miri's head, "We aren't of their world, we shouldn't have too many interactions with them. We---"

Cybelline heard them before she saw them.

The arrow flew through the air, aimed at Miri's face. Cybelline's eyes flashed in anger as she stood, gripping the arrow. With force far greater, she threw the arrow through the forest. In her rage, the arrow was powered by a hurricane of her power. It went through several trunks of ancient trees before impaling the archer in the hand.

A scream followed by several booms. The trees that the arrow had went through exploded.

Soldiers on both side paled at the display of power. Mage power.

Lord Evan looked at Killian, "My Lord, this woman is..."

"Amazing." Killian said, "But I don't wish to embroil her in this matter." He raised his hand and his men began to move.

Lord Evan sighed, he wanted to say that this woman was dangerous. Did his lord not see how his soldiers faces were pale. Even he had been a little bit scared by her expression.

A shield wall came up between them and rain of arrows that followed. Cybelline watched as Lord Evan strode forward, sword in hand, he raised his hand, and six archers quickly nocked, drew, and loosed their bows.

Unlike the rain of arrows, theirs were precise and deadly. In no time, the rain of arrows stopped.

Killian walked over to Cybelline, gently he reached out and held out his palm. Cybelline looked at him and he looked down at her hand. Confused, Cybelline held it up to him.

Her hands hand been injured by the battle with Lady Celia, and while the stones had healed her, the skin was still sensitive. On her finger, was a small cut made by the arrow. Killian frowned when he saw the cut, gently, he took some balm and smoothed it over her finger.

Jacen's eyes widened at the sight, but he held his tongue, his face red with effort. He was not going to scream in despair, it would not do for a knight to cry. Even if that salve was more precious than diamonds. Even if it had just been brought over for the express purpose of healing Lord Killian's back wounds. No, he would not shed a tear watching the precious material wasted on something as inconsequential as a tiny cut.

Killian gently blew on the small cut. Cybelline felt his breath, it tickled slightly. She smiled, "Thanks." And withdrew her hand.

Killian had been enjoying their interaction, and rather disappointingly, watched as her hand leave his. He found that more than anything, he wanted to hold her hands again. The warmth was just as he remembered.

Jasreth stirred a little and Killian looked down at the prince.

There was no warm behind his eyes, as he bent down and grabbed the unconscious prince by the collar. Miri rose up but Cybelline put a hand on her shoulder, "We can't interfered in the wars of other countries."

Miri saw the certainty in Cybelline's eyes and knew that Cybelline was right. Ma and Pa had told her that she needed to listen to her older sister. She must forget Jasreth, she had only seen him twice. She must not think about his face as she danced with him at the ball. She must forget.

Miri took a deep breath, and held tightly to Cybelline's hand, "Cy, I'm sorry I ran off." Cybelline patted the girl's hand with a smile, "You are so grounded."

Killian waved and a path formed from his soldiers. Killian looked at the unconscious youth in his hands and at the retinue of soldiers in front of him. He placed his sword on the youth's neck.

Miri shuddered, and she looked at Cybelline with tears in her eyes. Cybelline sighed and called to the Lord of War, "Can you spare his life?"

Killian looked at Cybelline, nodded, then moved his sword to Jasreth's arm. He raised it, as if to cut it off.

Cybelline bit back a smile. This icy lord was quite interesting. Suddenly, the idea of going to the City of Light with him didn't seem as suicidal as she had once thought.

"Stop! Lord Killian. Stop at once!" A voice rang out and the Londaros Commander came out, there were beads of sweat on his face as he huffed.

Killian raised an eyebrow.

The Londaros man gritted his teeth, "Soldiers, put down your weapons." There were several clanks as the swords, shields, spears, and bows dropped to the ground.

The man looked at Killian, "What does my Lord want? More land? You've already gained so much from Londaros." He spat on the ground, "I have heard once the Lord of War starts the fight, he doesn't give up until the kingdom is wiped off the map. Will you destroy us all?"

Killian looked back at Cybelline. He had promised that he would make this world safe for her when he was little. He promised that he would be strong enough to protect her. He looked at the commander on the Londaros solider.

"This war ends." He said coldly.

"By conquering us all?" The Londaros general snarled, "by destroying the Londaros King? Will you march your soldiers to the gates and destroy the kingdom?" He, like most of the people in Londaros believed that this Lord of War would kill them all. If he, the commander of a Londaros retinue of soldiers was to die, then he was going to say his piece.

"Today. It ends today." Killian replied.

"Well, you can go to ---" The Londaros commander stopped, choked on his own spit, and coughed.

The soldiers on both sides nearly all dropped their swords. Lord Evan looked as if his lord had grown horns or sprouted a tail. Was this really their lord? The famed lord of war, who never left a battle half-won? This was a man who could wage war for thirty years until he gained his objective.

Lord Evan pinched himself. Even the Augur, who had been watching with interest was so shocked that he lost grip on his magic, causing his magical project to disappear.

"But you're winning." The Londaros commander squeaked. He couldn't believe his years. The shock made his body twitch like mad as he stared at the man in front of him.

Killian said nothing.

"Your troops outnumber ours." The commander continued.

Killian shrugged, getting impatient. He still had to go back and prepare for his trip with Cybelline.

"You have our crown prince by the sword!" The commander pointed to the unconscious Jasreth. Just them a solider came up and clamped a hand on the commander's mouth. Was his commander mad? Why mention all these strengths the Dycathion kingdom had over theirs? Did he want to reignite the war?

The Commander ripped the hand off his mouth, "Why?!"

Killian dropped Jasreth into Jacen's arms, "Londaros is no longer a threat."

The entire battlefield was silent. They could practically hear the flap of a butterfly's wing at this point.

Lord Evan cleared his throat and looked at their captive. He smiled like a professional businessman, "Since we can't fighting anymore, I think what my lord means is that we should work this out like civilized people. Why don't start with how much you're willing to pay for your prince. And then we can talk about what you can pay us for the damages in...."

The corner of Killian's mouth lifted. Just because he was done fighting Londaros doesn't mean he wasn't going to make them suffer a bit. But right now, more important things awaited him.

Cybelline was deep in thought when Killian appeared by her side. She gave Miri a reassuring smile, "Wait here. I'll be right back."

Killian led her away from the war zone towards a little waterfall. Here nature was undisturbed and life went on as if the battles were worlds away.

His face had been icy and merciless to the enemy but as soon as he faced her, the ice seemed to melt like glaciers in the spring. Light came into his eyes as his lips curved. Cybelline felt as if a warm wind rushed at her face in the middle of winter.  In those eyes she saw her reflection clearer than any mirror in existence. It was magnetic, the way the world seemed to revolve around him the moment he smiled.

She mustn't allow those pair of eyes to suck her in.

He stopped before her, and before he could open his mouth, a warm palm covered his eyes.

Time froze as he seemed to solidify into stone. Her hand, warm and soft around his eyes. So many years ago, she had touched his face. He had forgotten the warmth of touch at that point, the gift of another human's care.

The sun burst through, burning away the night. Rays of light peaked through the leaves to hit her hand and his face, turning the pale silver of the night into bright gold. It seemed as if even the sun protested her covering the beauty of his eyes.

"Do you remember me?" He asked, his voice low and soft, "Tell me, please."

Cybelline looked at the face, the images flashing in her mind. After a moment, she merely sighed, "No, I'm sorry."

She smiled at that moment, knowing he can't see the bright smile on her face, "You really are the strangest man I've ever met. I really do wish I could..."She stopped her self and let her hand fall, quietly, she took a step back.

He opened his eyes

Remember you. Was that what she was going to say? More than anything, he hoped against hope that she remembered him. He wanted her to ask her what had happened all these years and if she had a good life, and above all, if she was happy. So many things he wanted to say, yet the words seemed to be caught in his traitorous throat.

"You're sure you don't want to continue this war?" Cybelline asked softly.

Killian nodded, "I will not allow my warriors to fight my battles if I don't plan to be here." He looked at her, "We're going to the City of Light after all."

At that moment, Cybelline realized that Killian was more determined to follow her than she had planned. He would find a way to follow her if she left without telling him.

"I won't be able to go there without you, am I?" She said a little ruefully. The irony of her warning Miri to stay away from nobility only minutes later for herself to be stuck with nobility was not lost on her.

"No." Killian replied quietly, "But I swear to you that I only will help, not hinder you."

Cybelline studied the man in front of her, "How can I trust you? What I am about to do would make us enemies. You should be arresting me or throwing me in prison."

"I could never harm you." Killian said softly, "Never."

Cybelline smiled, "You always make promises this easily?"

"If you are the one asking, yes."

"I might be going breaking out a criminal." Cybelline said quietly, "You would be helping a criminal."

"I've made peace with that already."

Cybelline was quiet for a moment, "Thank you. I know this is a lot to ask for, for your help, even if we fail, I promise that if I get out of this alive, if you ever need help from me, I will come to your aid." Then her eyes turned cold, "But if you turn against me, I will make you wish you were never born."

Killian smiled, which caused his eyes to light in a way that made Cybelline itch to cover his eyes again. It was too dangerous a face to stare at.

———————
Author's Note: Phew! This was a long chapter that took a few days to write. Loved all the comments, they made me smile, laugh, and give me strength to continue. I loved your questions, comments, analysis, and interest in these characters. Thank you so much for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.2K 1K 73
In a world where demons are the primary enemies, there was a girl born in a kingdom where light doesn't exist. However, she has no any idea about her...
5 0 1
Do you ever doubt yourself? Ever get the feeling you're never good enough? For me, that's my life. That's how I feel. Every. Single. Day. So let's co...
17.4K 664 27
TEASER: "No fiancée of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...
43 13 63
Reyna has a perfect life. With three weeks left until her wedding, and the last box unpacked in her fiance's luxurious home, everything is as it shou...