Saving Bennett Reid (Book 3)

By fictionowl

[Jasper Falls Saga: Book 3] This book is part of a series and must be read in a specific labeled order. Pleas... More

Twist of Fate
Looking Out For Me
Ivy Rose
Anxiety Attacks
A Desperate Beta
Peace Offering
Getaway
Shut It Down
Gaining Intimacy
Past is Past
All For You
The Date #SpookFest2k19
Strange Behavior
It Begins
Official
Consequences of Officiality (Part 1)
Consequences of Officiality (Part 2)
Consequences of Officiality (Part 3)
Beta Mate
Hope
Phase One: Uprising
Phase Two: The Hunt
Tough
Cheesy Romance
Hush
Puzzle Pieces
Adversaries
Troubling Developments
Ready Or Not
Game Plan (Part 1)
The Mole (Part 2)
Game Plan (Part 2)
Woeful Descent
Raid and Rescue
Anchor
The Mole (Part 3)
The Mole (Part 4)
The Fall of Black Rock Canyon
Jaxon's Beta #SpookyFest2k20
Hope Unanchored #SpookyFest2k20
Unhinged (Part 1)
Unhinged (Part 2)
Man of Steel
A Slice of Normal
The Last Stand (Part 1)
The Last Stand (Part 2)
Iron Fist
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Apology

6.3K 258 122
By fictionowl

(Carter)

It hadn't even gotten to nine in the morning and there was a spring in my step. My parents knew something was up since they discreetly exchanged glances at the breakfast table as if asking the other what was wrong with me.

Nothing was wrong with me.

I was super happy this morning after being severely crushed when I swung by the Reid residence Thursday after school. It had been all I could think about much of the day.

I needed to apologize. Wipe the slate clean to move forward. But that jubilant, ecstatic spirit was stomped down when Beckett Reid opened the door and told me that his nephew had gone to Valley Heights for the weekend and would only return in time for school.

I was crushed, and had spent all of yesterday moping, thinking about and crafting the perfect apology. I needed his forgiveness. Simply put, I felt horrible.

I knew that laughing with my 'popular' friends about his condition was terrible. But at the time, I welcomed any distraction from the turmoil that was my beta hormones mingling with my broken bond. I welcomed any distraction once I didn't think about me and feelings.

For four months straight, those two things didn't mingle so well, and I was a total asshole to my family and closest friends.

Even Blake Dalton was turning his nose up at me. This same dude who was my ex's brother. The same dude who was once an asshole too, and a bully, and Brent Harper's notorious sidekick. Suddenly he was too proud to be associated with me.

Truth is, I don't blame them. Sky, Dale, Asher. I don't even blame Blake. Because they were right. Kelly didn't love me, and still I couldn't seem to get that through my thick skull. Instead, I turned to despise the guy who unknowingly stole her from me. And when news of his stay at rehab circulated the school, of course I laughed. It felt justified.

I just wished karma hadn't turned around so quickly and bitch slapped the shit out of me. The same guy I wanted to hate, to laugh at, turned out to be my new mate.

That simple fact made me feel like a complete asshole. And a bigger jackass for believing he slept with Kelly.

Our lunch 'date' on Wednesday had made me realize I'd been too quick with jumping to conclusions and accepting his words as they were. It was a clear taunt to get me angry. And since Tuesday night, I'd been thinking about the thing between us. Things I concluded right off the bat were not what they appeared when I really thought about it.

Illogical of me and unacceptable. I was the next beta, and smarter than that. Yet I fell to despair and pride.

I now knew he didn't sleep with Kelly. Something about his tone, words, and just the manner he conducted himself. Sex wasn't something that plagued the mind of Bennett Reid. Strange for a teenage boy but I had no complaints.

I had become impatient throughout most of yesterday finding the wait to be tasking. I didn't want to prolong until Monday. It ate at my conscious like termites and I was desperate to get it out. My apology, and hopefully, a chance if he was willing to look past my misconduct.

It was wrong of me. My behavior toward him and his condition. He was right. It wasn't a laughing matter and I should've been in a roughly right mind frame to tell when jokes and harmless fun crossed the line.

When I had come home from school yesterday, I received news that had me jumping for joy. In my room of course.

Plans for security upgrades were permitted by the alpha, and Kosta Kabanov of Black Rock was leading a team of workers to upgrade Marcana's security. His project right hand was none other than Bennett Reid.

They were beginning work today and were expected to be here by latest ten. As the next beta, my presence was expected at all times, not just in supervising to ensure smooth sailing, but I was to familiarize myself with these new upgrades.

Work was expected of me, but I had another goal by the end of this day. Even if it meant dragging him away from everyone else, I would get my apology out.

Even if he wanted nothing to do with me I'd be a leech in his ass all day. Just watch me.

While I washed up my dirty dishes from breakfast, the doorbell rang, and my mother went to answer it. I heard voices and recognized Isaiah's, followed by the gravelly voice of an older gentleman. I'm guessing that was Kosta Kabanov, fifth-in-command of Black Rock and Bennett's...grandfather?

Wait!

That means he's here too!

I scrubbed at my dishes, a newfound speed guiding my actions as I quickly wiped away the excess water. I dashed out of the kitchen through another doorway that led to another part of the house where I could take the steps to my room, knowing the group was in the living area.

"Carter!" my father called for me a while after, as I struggled to hurry and dress in old jeans, an old T-shirt and boots. Ideal for hard labor and construction.

"In a minute!" I returned, stumbling a bit as I tried to lace up the boots. I swear, I hadn't seen the guy for the day, and he was already making me trip over my feet.

Tucking my phone into my back pocket, along with a pencil since nobody ever seems to have one during construction, I made my way downstairs, finger combing my hair to at least look a bit presentable.

I slowed down a bit as I entered the living area, my gaze sweeping the room to find him standing beside the older werewolf, arms crossed over his chest and hip cocked. His expression was stern, fixed into one that meant business as he closely listened to what the older werewolf was saying to both Isaiah and my dad.

He looked so much better than he did on Tuesday and Wednesday. He'd gotten a haircut, the sides shaved down and the top trimmed. Not too much was taken off leaving enough to grab onto.

Bennett seemed to realize I had been shamelessly staring at him the last few moments since he averted his gaze to me. I quickly looked away, my cheeks heating up from embarrassment, and as a distraction, I forced myself to take note of the other people who arrived with them.

There were three other men I recognized as Black Rock wolves, two of them possessing a sharp resemblance to Kosta and Bennett. They shared a similar build and the same warm skin complexion. The only difference was that Bennett had sharp, icy blue eyes instead of a warm caramel, and hair that was just a shade lighter.

Dale, Sky, and Asher were also among them, the third-in-command coming to stand next to me with an eyebrow raised in question. I'm guessing he caught me staring and now blushing.

Sorry. But if his mate looked as good as Bennett without trying, he'd stare too. Like a god from Eastern mythology.

"Right," Isaiah announced once there was a pause in the conversation, "introductions. You already know Bennett." Isaiah lifted a hand and motioned toward my mate, earning nods in response. Bennett didn't look our way.

He was ignoring me, distracting himself with everything else not to acknowledge that even this close, there was a gravitational pull between us that we felt in our minds and souls. A sign that the mate bond was fighting hard to be acknowledged. Make itself known.

Isaiah gestured to the other four men, by name.

"This is Kosta. He'll be leading the upgrades on our border security and he comes highly recommended by Hunter himself."

Kosta Kabanov, a tall man with a hulking frame. He had a full head of gray and white, bushy eyebrows and a maintained dusted beard to match that gave him an intimidating aura. It didn't help that despite being a man probably bordering seventy, he was built like a fucking tank.

This was Bennett's...grandfather.

I was unsure of how that worked. Having spent all that 'time' with Mandy Reid, I'd gotten to know her family. Vince nor Cheryl were related to the Kabanov family.

So, how was Bennett related to them?

"Nikolay, Luke, and Billy. They'll be assisting Kosta in the upgrades as well." Isaiah introduced.

Nikolay and Luke were obviously brothers, sharing similar physical characteristics to Kosta and Bennett. The same chestnut colored hair, warm complexion, and a similar build. Only, they weren't as built like a tank as Kosta. They were tall too, even the third guy who didn't look like them, making Bennett the shortest of the five men, even though he wasn't short either.

In fact, I found Bennett to be the perfect height for me. I'm beginning to think that Kelly was perhaps a little too short for me.

"So, are we breaking ground today?" I asked. Surprisingly, the person who answered my question, I had expected to continue ignoring me.

"No, we're not doing much hard labor. But we'll be running up and down town buying materials. We'll be setting up a perimeter along the border and going over a suitable construction plan before we break ground."

I nodded in understanding. "And how long will these upgrades take to be completed?"

"A few weeks, tops. If we work fast enough. Why? Got something better to do?" Bennett criticized.

Um...yes? Like winning you over.

Duh!

"No reason. Just curious. I mean, we still don't know where Tobias is. That's all." I retorted. He seemed to accept that as Isaiah ushered us, including my dad, out of my home.

We met up with a group of Marcana wolves Isaiah had personally chosen to help with the upgrades, and among them was our pack's current fourth-in-command. After a quick order to the prominent members of the pack to carefully keep an eye on the Black Rock wolves, our alpha left. Kosta was in charge of executing a plan of construction, while my father split the medium sized group into smaller ones.

Since there were five Black Rock wolves, my father split the group up accordingly so that for each Black Rock wolf, there was at least one prominent leader and at least three other Marcana wolves.

Unfortunately, Bennett was put to work with Asher and three other wolves. Meanwhile, I was put to work with Kosta. Not that I minded, really.

We were here to do a job for the safety of my pack. But I kind of wanted to be closer to Bennett, even if it meant spending all day following after him. Physically being near him wouldn't only strengthen our bond but said mate bond was already working wonders on me. The bond, coupled with his proximity was grappling at my hormones and control, making me feel like I was on cloud nine while keeping me grounded.

Going into five days as mates, and already, he was becoming more important to me that he realized.

"We'll have to cut down some of these trees." Kosta informed, glancing up at the tall pine tree in front of us.

"How many?" I queried, not too happy about disfiguring the natural landscape and shape of Marcana territory. It had been this way since forever.

"Enough to build a wall."

I stiffened at that, glancing about all the trees. "That's too many!"

Wolves were rather in tune with nature, especially us Marcana wolves. We might live like civil people, but we're wolves at heart.

Why did the trees always have to pay?

"Unless you want to disfigure the border line, then fine. Or we can work around the natural pathways and chop down a few trees. Don't worry, we'll try to save as many. The wall has to be one continuous run along the border, and we'll also have to make way for booths." Kosta explained.

"Guard points?" I asked with a frown, and he nodded. "We'll have to get a read on the perimeter. See how many booths we can build along the wall."

"And surveillance cameras." Kosta added, and I nodded.

There was both an upside and a downside. The upside was that we'd be able to cut back on the number of wolves on patrol. The downside, our wolves may grow lazy. But if ever there was an attack, there'd be a barrier to minimize risk and casualties.

We worked well into the afternoon measuring the perimeter, meeting with the others and laying down a plan. Once Kosta realized we'd already started constructing some form of barrier- our wire fence- he'd suggested we further fortify. My father and Sky made the decision to break down the wire fencing and bring it back those five hundred meters to where our border actually stood. It would be the secondary barrier, the first, being the wall, we would build two hundred meters past the border line.

Finance was not issue to purchase materials. We'd spent another two or three hours running about the town buying materials and ordering what we didn't have from Starlight City and Valley Heights. Those materials would be transported into Jasper Falls come tomorrow when we break ground.

The last thing we did, was place markers for the wire fence and walls using what twine, wood and steel bars we already had.

"Can we talk?" I suggested, lightly tapping Bennett's shoulder. We were done for the day, and the sun was already getting low.

Most of us were beat and hungry but food had been prepared by the omegas on the Luna's order. Tables had been set and a buffet laid out in the banquet hall. I think most of them were glad for the gesture, and readily accepted the offer to be fed.

"There isn't anything to talk about, Hayes." Bennett replied as I followed him into the banquet hall. Dale, Sky and Asher were already at the buffet table, shoveling food onto their plates.

"There's plenty to talk about. I wanna apologize." I admitted. Bennett moved toward the buffet table, grabbing up a disposable plate, his gaze surveying the menu laid out before him.

Copying his actions, I waited for his reaction, but he was silent as he started to shovel spoonful after spoonful of food onto the plate.

Did he hear what I said?

"Look, I'm sorry." I decided to begin my apology even if he was choosing not to reply. "I'm sorry about Wednesday," I paused, peeking to him out the corner of my eye to see him doing the same. It gave me the courage to continue with my apology. "You were right. I shouldn't have tried to impose my opinion on you. Your situation. It wasn't my place."

Bennett didn't say anything. Just moved away now that his plate was packed with enough food. He grabbed up a disposable fork, and a drink from the large cooler nearby. I followed after him, even when he selected a lone table to sit at.

I would like to believe this was his way of keeping our conversation going without saying anything himself.

"And... I'm truly sorry about laughing about it at school. I feel like an ass. Whatever you're going through, it isn't a laughing matter. Especially if it's so bad that your family decided you needed rehab. And I feel even worse now that we're..." I trailed off, knowing it was understood what I meant to say.

We were away from the others and I'm guessing Bennett didn't want to have them eavesdropping on our conversation.

"You already apologized for that." he said suddenly. I blinked owlishly. I honestly didn't think I was going to get a verbal response. And just by his reply, I gathered enough courage to continue.

"Can I ask you something?"

Once again, he said nothing. But he was listening even if he didn't look at me, rather continuing with his meal. I pursed my lips.

"You don't say much, do you?"

He met my gaze, holding it steady as he continued to chew, and completely unaware of how his icy blue eyes were managing to unravel me.

"If I have nothing worthwhile to say, then I don't speak."

I accepted that, nibbling on my lip. We returned to eating, getting in only a few mouthfuls before I broke the awkward quietness between us that was filled with chatter from the others.

"Can I ask you another question?" I knew he was getting fed up of me, and my constant talking was irritating him because he let out a quiet huff, as though silently asking me to shut up. "This one's a bit personal."

His movements came to a halt and he placed the fork down. Leaning back in the chair, he met my gaze, daring me to say anything further.

Challenge accepted.

Even if your blue eyes unravel me.

"It's just this one specific thing I can't understand about you." I explained, holding up a finger to emphasize the one thing. Bennett tilted his head, arms crossed over his chest. The challenge was in his icy gaze and he looked two seconds away from slapping me dead for pushing the topic forward.

But he'd have to get used to it. Giving up wasn't in my nature. I saw something, and I took it. In this case, I saw something I needed.

Something I had lost and craved the last four months. And now Bennett's bond to me was giving me just that.

"Your relation to Kosta," I continued, noticing the frigid posture of his shoulders drop slightly. I guess it wasn't as personal as he expected. "I don't understand it."

Bennett raised an eyebrow. "What's there not to understand? He's my grandfather."

"How can he be your grandfather, though?" I was truly confused about this. How can he have three grandfathers, each man married to a woman? "A while ago, I met your whole family. It was a grandmother's birthday and Mandy invited me. But that guy..." I motioned toward where Kosta sat engrossed in conversation with Rick and my dad, "he wasn't there."

Bennett was quiet, returning to eating his meal. I pushed the food around my plate, patiently waiting to see if I would get a response.

But he continued to eat. He didn't even look at me.

At least, until all his food was cleared away and all that was left was scraps of bone.

"You met Mandy's family. Not mine."

And with that, he gathered his plate and drink and left the table.

**

Talking to him on Sunday was a waste. I didn't get a chance to speak with him, and not in the evening either. Once again, the omegas had put out a buffet meal for us, but Bennett avoided me like the plague and made it damn obvious.

He chose to sit with other people this time, and he sat next to Kosta. I had followed after him, but because of the many conversations happening around the table, it left no spare room for his attention to be focused on me.

He'd done it on purpose. Because the moment he was finished with his food, he left with Billy and Luke.

I had come to school this morning with a bounce in my step, but I was torn two ways. One set of emotions belonged to me, and the other, it wasn't mine.

I was ecstatic. He was due to return to school today which meant I'd get to see him. He was also supposed to have a few classes with me this year, so we'd be physically closer for some periods of time.

But there was a dull sense of anxiety that resided in me this day. It was coming from him. He was anxious about returning, and I knew why.

Bennett knows that the school body is aware of his history with alcohol and drugs, and that he'd been in rehab. He was expecting a backlash of sorts. Personally, I was also anxious about how his return would be reciprocated. But knowing the assholes at this school, they would probably make fun of him.

No. Not probably.

They will.

I know. We made fun of him for weeks, stretching it beyond his 'stay' at rehab, and beyond the truth. I'd only fanned the flames when I recited things about Bennett that I had witnessed. It didn't help that Mandy kept gassing the fire. And I did nothing to stop her.

Maybe it died down after a while, but now that he was coming back, he'd be kicked to the curb. And worse, he'd witness just how badly we'd made fun of him. He'd catch a glimpse of what I had created.

I had English first this morning and I'd already taken my seat. Jaxon and Asher were also in this class with me and I was silently praying they would have my back when shit hit the fan. In class were also a few of the 'popular' crowd who I'd made fun of Bennett with.

"Morning babe!"

I tensed, mentally cringing as I glanced over to Mandy as she leaned forward, most of her cleavage spilling out as she tried to kiss me. I pulled away on instinct, turning my head so that she caught my cheek instead.

She was a gorgeous girl. Delicate features that held a bit of mischief, blonde curls that fell to the middle of her back. A small, thin frame, but she was damn voluptuous with big boobs. And let me tell you, she knew how to use all her assets.

I mean, all.

Of course, I still found her attractive in the sense that she was nice to look at. But even that...

I felt dirty. Like I was doing something I shouldn't with her. I mean, after all, her brother is my mate.

"So..." Mandy drawled, slowly tracing a finger along my bicep, "are you free later? I was hoping we could do something together. I haven't been with you in since forever."

It's only been about two weeks. We hooked up two Saturdays ago when she said I 'owed' her. And besides, our relationship was no strings attached and I knew she slept with other guys.

"Can't. Sorry." I replied, not feeling apologetic in the slightest. I felt like I was cheating, even though I wasn't.

"This is a first." she commented, biting her lip in thought. "You've never passed on the opportunity to hook up. Whether I came to you, or you came to me. What's wrong? Are you not well or something?" she asked, concerned.

No, I feel fine. Top of the world actually. But she didn't appeal to me anymore. No one did. Except...

Except for the god who just walked in. There was no teacher here yet, but his arrival brought the class to a hush as everyone turned to look at him. Even Asher and Jaxon who were previously engaged in conversation stopped to investigate the sudden silence.

I could feel his discomfort at being the center of attention but chose to ignore it as he placed a letter sized orange envelope on the teacher's desk.

"Oh look, the druggie's back!" Mandy announced suddenly, eliciting snickers and laughter here and there. I flinched, gritting my teeth, and clenching my fists beneath the desk.

Bennett stayed calm for the most, but I felt it. Something in him jumped at what Mandy said and it took all my might not to lash out.

What did I see in her?

No... not a personality. A body to use for my satisfaction.

No strings attached.

Bennett turned and surveyed the classroom, head held high, as he looked for an empty seat.

Turning in my chair, I saw that there was a vacant spot next to Blake in the row behind me, two tables to my left. Blake even gestured toward the table for Bennett to join him.

"Careful." someone said as Bennett started making his way to his new seat. I recognized the voice's owner as Brent Harper.

No fucking surprise there. Dude just didn't let up, never passing on the opportunity to bully someone.

"Better yet, someone should call the asylum. One of their patients got out." he tacked on, and most of the class erupted into a fit of laughter. I opened my mouth to say something.

Anything in his defense.

But words failed me. There was nothing I could say that won't bite me in the ass and make me look like an asshole.

I had done this. I let this happen. I fed the fire and stretched the truth.

The boisterous laughter was suddenly sliced as Asher's irate tone silenced the classroom.

"Harper! Shut the fuck up or I'll yank your fucking tongue so far down your fucking throat, you'll be talking through your fucking ass! Same good wishes to anyone dumb enough to fucking try me!"

The class went hush, and Brent gritted his teeth but chose not to reply. He'd had his ass handed to him enough times to ever willingly test Asher's patience.

I glanced at Bennett. His eyes were downcast, but his expression was blank. I couldn't read what he was thinking. And worse, I couldn't feel anything from him. It was as though he'd blocked me out completely.

What's he feeling!

He did raise his gaze, and I had to suck in a sharp breath when his eyes locked with mine.

They were so cold. It was like looking at a completely different person. His eyes were dead. Emotionless.

And now he just looked plain bored as he tilted his head, cradled his chin and stared out the window.

When I turned around the same time the teacher walked in, Asher and Jaxon were glaring at me. Jaxon mouthed the words 'You're dead', flipping me off before turning to face front.

They weren't on my side.

I knew that.

I did this.

I wouldn't give up though. I'll somehow fix this. I needed to.

English went by excruciatingly slow, and the classes afterward followed suit. Especially the classes I shared with Bennett. It was as though the Fates were punishing me. He always sat somewhere behind me and I kept turning around to look at him.

He would ignore me. And even when our eyes locked, his were still emotionless and cold. Lifeless sometimes and others, bored.

I tried to catch glimpses of him in the corridors and hallways, but he was never there. By now, what happened in English this morning was the hottest news on campus. Bennett was the hottest topic.

Of course, he wouldn't be wandering the halls when everyone kept talking about him and scanning the hallways to catch a glimpse of 'Druggie Bennett' or 'Asylum Case'.

Why were we so cruel?

Why was I such a dick?

I couldn't even stand up for my own mate and rebuke the stories.

Gods...

I'm fucking pathetic.

"Carter! Baby, wait up!"

I growled menacingly as Mandy caught up to me, linking arms and rubbing her breasts all up on me. She tiptoed, pulling me to halt as she tried to kiss me again.

"Enough! It's done!" I blurted wildly, pulling my arm away. My outburst caught her off guard and captured the attention of several students in the corridor, many coming to a halt to witness the altercation.

Mandy stared up at me in shock. "Baby, what's wrong?" she cooed gently, trying to hug me. I stepped away, holding her at arm's length.

"I said, enough." I gritted, my beta tone slipping through. "This thing," I continued, motioning between us, "it's over. No more."

Everyone at school thought we were together but that wasn't the case. Our relationship wasn't the usual boyfriend-girlfriend, quarterback and hottest chick thing. We were friends. Friends with benefits.

We'd agreed that there'd be no strings, no feelings. Sure, we hung out like friends, but there was nothing romantic or emotional about our sex. It was just plain, old fucking. She knew this, and she was more than willing.

I don't know when or why she started calling me those pet names, but I should've put a stop to it.

But I didn't. And now it had escalated to this.

"You can't be serious." Mandy was aghast. I just gave her a blank stare before her expression changed to fury. "Who is the bitch, Carter? I want to know her name!"

Holy.

Fuck.

I should've listened to West when he said this girl was mad trouble. We were never boyfriend and girlfriend. Why is she acting like I cheated on her?

"There's no one."

Yet...

"I just decided I didn't want this anymore. I'm sure you'll find some other guy. Have fun fishing."

Mandy was dumbfounded, just staring at me like I'd grown two heads. I just left her there unwilling to waste precious time to deal with her drama. Not when I had an already fractured relationship to fix that hasn't even started.

It was the last period of the day when I finally caught sight of Bennett making his way down the corridor with Jaxon by his side. The halls were mostly empty save for a few stragglers intent on getting to class late, as it had already been fifteen minutes since the last period started.

As I moved forward to approach them, they slowed down near Jaxon's locker letting him dig around for something. This was the opening I needed as I jogged the rest of the way and gently gripped Bennett's elbow.

His reaction was quick and I don't think it was on reflex either as my head snapped back and I stumbled, clutching my nose. Warm liquid oozed out as my eyes teared up.

"We're not friends, Hayes. Touch me like that again and you'll nurse more than a busted nose."

Rapidly blinking away the blurry vision, I glanced over to find him lowering his fist. Jaxon wore an amused smirk, clearly gloating for some reason.

"Can we talk?"

"I think you've talked quite enough these last four months." he retorted sternly. I wavered at that. Whether he was angry, hurt, or disappointed, I had no way of knowing. His emotions were still on lockdown and I had to wonder how it is he was doing that.

Was he slightly sociopathic? Or was he just that good at hiding his emotions?

I would go with the latter. Sociopath was too much of a stretch. And not to mention, kind of terrifying.

My bloody nose was beginning to drip. I had to get to a bathroom quick, but the chance to beg for his forgiveness was steadily slipping away. If I ran to the bathroom now, I'd lose my shot.

"Please. Just let me explain. You at least deserve that."

He shook his head. "There's nothing for you to explain. Today showed me everything I need to know about you."

"I am begging you. That's not who I am. You aren't making this easier for me to talk to you while I bleed all over the place."

I pinched my nose tighter, using my other hand to collect the stray drops of blood. Bennett expelled a deep breath and glanced over to Jaxon, who raised an eyebrow.

"You're sure?" Jaxon questioned, and his friend nodded reassuringly. "Alright." He closed his locker, turned and left for his class.

Bennett followed as I led the way to the nearest bathroom, but he pulled me to a stop making me glance to him in confusion.

"Infirmary." he simply said, raising an eyebrow as his gaze stopped on my bleeding mess of a nose.

Aw, he does care!

Holding in my smile, we went to the infirmary, glad to find it empty save for the nurse packing away new supplies into a cabinet. She came over once she saw us, an amused expression on her face.

"Been a while since you were in here. Got into another fight?" she said, coming over with a tray of supplies to patch me up. I sat down on the chair she motioned to, accepting the wipes to clean my bloodied hands.

"This was more a one punch incident, but I deserved it." I assured her as Bennett scoffed. I glanced to his frame leaning against the wall, ankles and arms crossed while the nurse hummed in response, tilting my chin up to examine the damage.

"Well, it's not broken. So, it should heal by tomorrow morning." she informed. She was a werewolf too, and from Crescent Hill. She proceeded to clean up the blood and patch me. "Did you do this?" she posed to Bennett who nonchalantly shrugged.

"Reflex."

Yeah right.

"You could've broken my nose." I fired, though I wasn't angry. Not in the slightest.

"You deserved it. You would've healed anyway." he retorted, a slightly smug smirk tugging at the corner of his mouth. I didn't bother hiding my own smile as the nurse saw to cleaning my busted nose. Silence ensued, my gaze flickering to Bennett every few moments. He remained still, quietly watching the nurse clean the wound he gifted me.

"Okay, all new." the nurse announced after some time had passed. "Should I write you two a pass?"

"Actually no. I wanna talk to this guy for a bit." I motioned toward Bennett who rolled his eyes. The nurse raised an eyebrow, glancing between the two of us before she nodded once, turning to leave.

"Try not kill each other." she called over her shoulder as she went into the next room.

We were finally alone. More silence passed between us as Bennett patiently waited for me to speak up.

Words failed. All this time I've been trying to get him alone so that we could talk. Well, me. And now, I didn't know where to begin.

"If you're not going to talk, then I'll leave." he said after a while already leaning off the wall to made his getaway.

"Give me a moment. This is kind of harder than I thought." I got up to intercept his pathway.

"It's really not." He shook his head. "You open your mouth, and you talk." he retorted sarcastically, accompanying his words with hand movements. I was not amused.

"It's really not." I mocked. It was his turn not to be amused and I couldn't help but laugh at his reaction which was almost comical. Shaking my head, he was still unamused. "Look...it's really not easy. There's so much I want to say, to apologize for. But I don't think words suffice just for how incredibly regretful I am. I really wish you didn't have to experience today. Not my proudest moment."

He looked away, crossing his arms over his chest. I chewed my lip.

"I want to make it up to you, though. Will you give me a chance?"

He raised his gaze to lock with mine. "How do you intend to make amends?"

"Friends?" Holding my hand out to him, I gave him an uneasy, coy grin. He just stared at me like I was crazy before he turned and started walking toward the door.

"Where are you going?"

"Away from you." he replied as though it was the most obvious thing, his voice quiet as always.

"Don't run away!" I called after him, grabbing up my bag and hurrying after him. "I'm trying here."

"Friends? Really? That's the worst solution ever." he retorted as I caught up with him in the corridor.

What was so bad about making a new friend? We should look at this as a chance to wipe our slate clean. Get rid of the bad blood.

"You know I'm gonna keep trying, right?"

Bennett was walking ahead of me as we walked down the corridor, him heading to what was left of his last class for the day. He turned and gave me an awkward smile as if to say 'yeah, I know'. He stopped at a classroom and I'm guessing this is where his class was.

"Even if I have to show up at your house. I know where you live." I called after him, a grin already pulling at my lips. Bennett stopped, glancing over to me. He looked like he was about to say something, his jaw moving and his expression saying he thought I was crazy. But he didn't give a reply, deciding to run away by opening the door and heading inside.

He was adorable. And I think I scared him off. Not my intention but at least he got the message.

I'm not giving up on him. And he can try to run, but I'll keep finding him.

I had less than a week to get him to at least become my friend. And now I'd be seeing him a lot. Around school, and then after since we broke ground on security upgrades yesterday.

Which means; I'd be a leech in his ass.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

559K 26.4K 32
[Jasper Falls Saga: Book 1] {Currently being rewritten; to be removed.} This book is part of a series and must be read in a specific labeled order. P...
607K 23.9K 35
[Can be a stand alone!][Book 3] {Valleyside Pack} Christopher, Nicholas, and Caroline are first born triplets of Aaron and Vanessa Henderson. Normall...
971K 39.5K 31
[Book #1 in the Blackwood Pack series] Currently in the process of rewriting (it'll be uploaded as a separate book) ________________ ...
85.2K 2.7K 41
They both have broken pasts that used to shine with the love they felt, now though now it is different the only thing they feel is pain, sadness, and...