Consummate Love

By Yoontaennie_07

Three factors make up a consummate love, the perfect kind of love. Passion. Intimacy. Commitment. More

Author's Note
PART 1
|1|
|2|
|3|
|4|
|5|
|6|
|7|
|8|
|9|
|10|
|11|
|12|
|13|
|14|
|15|
|16|
|17|
|18|
|19|
|20|
|21|
|22|
|23|
|24|
|25|
|26|
|27|
|27.5|
|28|
|29|
|30|
|31|
|32|
|33|
|34|
|35|
|36|
|37|
|39|
|40|
|41|
|42|
|43|
|44|
|45|
|46|
|47|

|38|

4.9K 210 462
By Yoontaennie_07

Jisoo wasn't sure if she was dreaming or awake. Maybe somewhere in between. That feeling when someone was watching her straight up got her senses and her eyes open and active.

The faint scent of vanilla infiltrating her nose calmed her immediately and the lump of hair upon her chest made her smile. Jennie was still wrapped around her as if she would leave her side if given the chance. It was a futile worry but she wasn't about to complain. She was way too comfortable despite the hold that the sleeping beauty has on her.

Jisoo could tell the sun hasn't risen yet. The yellow light from the the ceiling helped her to adjust easier and her eyes found the thing or person that urged her to wake up. She saw Jinwoo standing so still, barely looking like he's breathing at all, that she almost pinched herself to make sure she wasn't dreaming or seeing a ghost. Though those things don't scare her but the sight that welcomed her... irked her a bit.

Kim Jinwoo had a faint smile, almost wistful in some way, as he met Jisoo's eyes directly. It took her some moments to recover as she realized that the man would get the wrong idea of her sleeping with his cousin. As if he didn't already get a hint of it back to that time when he first arrived days ago.

Jisoo was about to pull away but Jennie sleeping so comfortably was doing the opposite as she inched even closer and Jinwoo just shook his head by a fraction. He came close and bent down, that particular smile still hovering on those luscious lips which Jisoo could see clearly due to their already small distance. She opened her mouth to speak or to explain in a hushed tone why she was with Jennie but the latter only dropped a kiss on Jennie's temple. Right under her nose.

His musk scent mixed with the one Jisoo was breathing in since earlier because of their proximity. Jinwoo's eyes were only trained at Jennie's sleeping face and when he finally glanced at Jisoo, who had widened her eyes in surprise, he placed his forefinger in front of his lips. Jennie was still dead to the world and Jisoo didn't get anything else from the older guy as he exited the room too quietly.

He was gone with a last glance at them tangled together before Jisoo was completely awake to figure out what that was all about.

~***~

A few days past and soon enough, Jisoo was getting birthday greetings from her friends and family from the orphanage. She just finished their video call with the kids, having to decline their request with wanting to see their "cute and adorable older sister" Jennie because the latter was busy with their dance lessons. She was also part of it too, with Jinwoo as her partner, but the guy also had to take an immediate call so they were given a break.

She hasn't asked him yet about what occurred the night she saw him at Jennie's bedside. It was probably because he was checking up on his cousin but Jisoo can't drop that weird feeling. As if there was also something more than what Kim Jinwoo shows up front. Why else would he asked her to keep quiet or act like it was some huge secret in the middle of the night?

'Maybe I'm thinking too much about this...'

Jisoo took in a deep breath and let it out before she returned to the dance room where Lisa and the others were staying in. The moment she got herself inside, party poppers sounded on both of her sides and wild noises followed suit. Bobby was holding a cake placed on top of its box, Chaeyoung and Lisa was greeting her a happy birthday with much enthusiasm and the rest of them left was just hyping the whole ordeal. She didn't know everyone but the people in the room were her schoolmates that Lisa got for the cotillion.

They were all singing the birthday song with the cake right in front of her. Her eyes searched for Jennie because it could only be her to have this much influence to make people do things. But instead, the younger girl's face was stoic and Jinwoo, beside her, was the one with all smiles. The complete contrast distracted her until she could her name coming up and ending the song.

"Saranghaneun, Kim Jisoo... SAENGIL CHUHKA HAMNIDA!!"

"Unnie, make a wish!" Chaeyoung urged at the birthday girl, making her focus on the cake designed with different fruits.

"Did you prepare for this?"

"Nope! Jinwoo oppa did."

With that being said, Jisoo returned her gaze to the cousins watching her from a distance. Their expressions didn't change that much, only that Jinwoo's smile widened. She closed her eyes for a bit, a single thought of her favorite smile interrupting everything else. Without being able to take another moment of silence, she got it over with and blew her candle.

Applauses ensued and she was given the chance to cut the cake. She could hear Bobby cheering her up and joking at her side. Suhyun started showing her gift for her but Lisa directed that towards a small pile in the corner that Jisoo didn't notice earlier. It was as if she was friends with everyone as they smile and greet her happily. Even the ones she wasn't too close with and might have been faking it just for the sake of being civil.

"We pretended not to know it was your birthday so we could surprise you, you know." Bobby said as she put a piece of cake on a plate. It was just the fifth one she had sliced when he took the knife away. "Yah! The birthday girl shouldn't be the one serving us. I'll get someone to do it."

"He's right. He's right! Someone fucking cut the cake! Don't make Jisoo do the work!" Seunghoon announced to the whole room.

"Hyung, how can you say that when you're already about to finish that piece of cake?!"

"I was taste testing if it's not poisoned." He laughed and winked at Jisoo. "Right, Jisoo?"

"Get out of here! Or do the cutting instead!"

"Don't ruin the cake." Seungyoon came forward and stopped Bobby and Seunghoon from arguing in front of it. "Move it. I'll do it before all of your saliva gets scattered on them."

Jisoo giggled as Chaeyoung pulled her to the side. The two plates on the older girl's hands were for the two people not entirely joining along the fun. Her best friend look at the pieces of cake and with just a second thought, she offered one to her.

"Okay. First of all... happy birthday again." Chaeyoung said with a huge smile and an abrupt hug. Once she pulled back, she shook her head. "And no, it doesn't look like you mean to give that to me, unnie. You should also be the one eating first. Tell me one of those plates is yours."

"You can have it. Really."

"Jisoo unnie." She stared at her straight to the eye, urging her to fess up.

Jisoo simply smiled at her and shrugged. "I was gonna give it."

"To Jinwoo oppa or to Jennie? Because there's no way I'm letting you give it to the both of them and not leave one for yourself."

"I could just get another one--"

"It's your birthday! Geez! Stop thinking of others first." She reprimanded the older girl which made the latter laugh. "We haven't had a clear talk about them."

"What talk?"

The younger girl rolled her eyes. "Seriously? They're not being too obvious to you? Or you're just simply oblivious?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, Chaeng."

'Like hell I don't...'

"So it's the latter." Chaeyoung nodded and shook her head afterwards. "You're like Helen of Troy right now and a particular someone being Menelaus, hindering others to win you over."

"Since when have you entertained yourself enough with Greek mythologies to use as life references?" She teased the younger girl who had her mouth agaped for the inquiry. The purpose was for dodging what she had pointed out as if Jisoo didn't notice it herself.

"Okay. You might be the bookworm between us but I do read too, you know."

"You do but they were books with life lessons. Weren't you reading that Tuesdays With--"

"Morrie, I know. I'm reading Albom's works, yeah. And you're changing the topic." The younger girl frowned at her as Jisoo only smiled. "You know there's something up with those two Kims, don't you?"

Jisoo laughed nervously and saw how Jennie was staring at her with unreadable eyes. No. She already knew what that could mean but she doesn't want to confirm it. Jennie looked more like being contained in silent anger. That's scarier than her explosive ones.

"I'll... we'll talk later, okay, Chaeyoung-ah?" She only replied in a meek voice as she made her way towards the two. Not anymore listening to her best friend who wanted to say more.

"Hello, birthday girl." Jinwoo greeted her first before she can make a full stop in front of them. "We could've made this into a big party but--"

"No, oppa! It's okay. This is already enough. Not to mention the food." She turned her head to the table having bountiful plates and people she barely knew well. There was no need to have a larger population she doesn't know how to deal with. She only smiled at them then at Jinwoo before she turned to Jennie. She offered the plate of cake to her. "I got some cake, Jennie. You want some?"

Jennie being up close didn't even seem just mad. It wasn't just anger or if there was really something like that earlier, it was clearly clouded by something else. She stared at the cake for one second before she looked straight into Jisoo's eyes.

"So now you remember me?"

'What?'

"Of course I do." Jisoo replied but as soon as she did... Jennie scoffed at her. Jinwoo looked mildly surprised at the latter's reaction but didn't say anything. "Look--"

"Liar." The younger girl cut her off sharply and Jinwoo didn't even get to scold her like he always seem to do. Because as soon as she looked away from Jisoo, her feet was already leading her towards the door. "Jisoo, you idiot."

Jennie didn't shout the words but it was spouted right in the moment when things became silent. It made everyone turn their way as the girl left the room. The awkward silence suddenly filled the once party mood place. Jisoo was stunned, trying to think what fumed the younger girl out of nowhere. Jinwoo's hands touched hers as he pried the plates off of her.

"Why don't you go and ask her what that's all about?" His gentle smile was an upper but Jisoo still felt down for what just happened. "I'll take care of things here and when you two come back, we'll start the dance lessons again. Okay?"

She nodded and forced a smile. "Yes. Thank you, oppa."

Without another word, Jisoo found her own exit out of the room in the calmest way she could muster. But once she's out in the corridor, she broke into a sprint and finally caught sight of Jennie. She was heading somewhere way past their bedrooms.

The younger girl was just about to open the door and enter through it when Jisoo called her out. "Jennie! Wait for a second!"

Jisoo halted and tried to catch her breath first. Jennie still wasn't looking at her but at least she stopped herself from entering. She heard a sigh then the latter's stoic expression greeted her. She didn't expect to see that again not after the all too peaceful and nice days they've been having but it was there.

Jennie's eyes returned that familiar melancholia barely hidden in another facade. "What?"

"You're mad, aren't you? Why are you upset?" Jisoo decided to be straight to the point and solve this as soon as possible. "Did I do something wrong? Do you... do you not like having that kind of party in your house?"

"Do you think that's what I'm pissed off about?" Jennie faced her and her tone made it too hard to predict a way out of the situation.

Jisoo gulped in nervousness. It's been a long time since Jennie talked in that tone. She still remembers the time when it was used and how it hurt when Jennie did. "You're that mad at me, huh?"

She didn't even have to ask. She didn't ask the words with the right intonation since she was sure about it already. She just wasn't sure why the younger have to act like this on her own birthday.

'Why does it have to be now? Why do you have to act like this today, Jennie?'

"I am.

"Why?" Jisoo asked as a thousand things, possible reasons went through her mind. From the time Jennie rejected her breakfast to the times she had difficulties from learning the dance and slowing them down. "Why are you mad at me?

'Can this get any worse? Go ahead. Throw your best shot at me.'

"Because it's your birthday."

'Damn it, universe, I thought we were friends. I didn't mean that, you know. My two left feet would suffice. You didn't have to make Jennie say she's angry at the day I was born.'

Jisoo wet her lips after mentally cursing the world. That hurt her and she could barely find the voice to say something. "You're... angry because it's my birthday? Because... I was born?"

Jennie shook her head so fast and stared up for a moment. Then she talked in that way as if she didn't want to even see her. "Because you didn't even seem to think I should know. You didn't tell me and I looked like a fool asking why everyone prepared for something."

'Wait... That's what she's upset about? Because she looked like a fool in front of everyone?'

"So it's because you don't want to look like a fool and it's my fault, me who didn't even know at all that I'll be having a surprise birthday party, because I didn't tell you we were celebrating?" Jisoo let out a breath and shook her head in disbelief. She would be guilty if it was something she did but it didn't appear like that. "Jennie, I didn't even know Jinwoo oppa would do that for me!"

"But he still knew, Jisoo! And I fucking didn't!" Jennie suddenly bursted out. It was as if she dug deep into her thoughts, her feelings as she exclaimed the words. "Because apparently I wasn't that important enough to you for you to even tell me the most basic thing a person should remember about you!"

If the older girl could list down in order the times she's been stunned today, this was currently on top. Jennie just exploded like that to her for a reason that doesn't sound extremely selfish. Jennie has a point and this fact made her feel left out. Angry. Hurt.

Jisoo's throat felt dry as if she would croak out the words. "I just... I just forgot to tell you. The question didn't come up so--"

"What do you mean it didn't come up? I asked you before when..." Jennie trailed off as if only realizing something. She then stared at Jisoo's eyes and like it was some kind of code, that the latter could understand... their conversation in the car while they were on their way to the orphanage crossed her mind. "You didn't answer me that time... I see. You're right. Goddamn it."

"Jennie..."

"Tell them I'm not in the mood for dancing and Lisa can just help me later on." She said as she turned her back on Jisoo, finally coming closer to the room she intended to go through earlier. "I'm sorry. Happy birthday, Kim Jisoo."

"But, Jennie--"

"Just go, will you? Just leave me alone for now."

Jisoo didn't have time to argue or even finish what she could reply because the door shut close, a click following it as Jennie locked herself away from her again.

'That's the saddest birthday greeting I've ever heard. You happy now, universe?'

~***~

"Ah."

"Omo!" The black haired girl looked up as she had done another damage on Jinwoo's foot. All because she can't pay attention on the dance or anything else. "I'm sorry, Jinwoo oppa."

Her partner chuckled and Lisa's voice just above the volume of the music became distant to Jisoo's ears. She focused on Jinwoo this time like how she was supposed to in the first place. "I'm starting to think you have a knack for hurting me without intending to."

'Hurting others without intending to..? I really do that a lot, don't I? First with Jennie and now with Jinwoo oppa...'

"Do I really?"

"Do you really what?"

"Hurt people without intending to..." Jisoo trailed off and this time their bodies swayed more to the music. Though her movements were a bit stiff, Jinwoo guiding her was helping her improve. "It's like whatever I do even when I hope for positive things... it somehow has the opposite effects, oppa."

"Good intentions don't always let us win in life. That's why some people turn to easier yet evil ways, right? Some would rather act heartless instead of being stuck in hopelessness."

"Hopelessness? Being lost and confused can be under that too, right?"

"Yes. As a matter of fact, I do get hopeless every time I get lost and even with a map as clear as day... it couldn't help me at all." He joked and had her giggling softly. "I know those kids have been badmouthing me a lot. Saying I have no sense of direction and that I can't find the right way easily."

Jinwoo helped her waltz around him with their hands still linked, pausing their conversation. She was careful as they parted, one of their arms both stretched as they followed the step Lisa taught. Jisoo turned as Jinwoo pulled her towards his center, making them intimately closer. She could feel him breathing next to her ear.

"I get lost too many times but I think you get lost more every time you look into Jennie's eyes." He whispered low and slowly, having Jisoo widening her eyes.

The hand supporting her waist kept her in place instead of turning to face the latter. So she just decided to talk to him in this way. Also, to switch the topic with something else. "Jinwoo oppa, did you know?"

"Know what?"

"The bear I told you about last time got frozen even more."

He let out a soft whistle. "Really now? Did it scream at the human?"

They were talking in metaphors again but they both knew who they were pertaining to. "Yeah. But... I think this time it's out of pain and being left out. I think it's really hurt..."

Jisoo side stepped from her partner, allowing them to see each other eye to eye. Just like the instructions of how partners should not only dance with their bodies follwing the music but also with their eyes conversing through the dance. Lisa might be full of jokes and crack most of the time but she knew what she was doing when it comes down to it. So when Jisoo and Jinwoo held each other's gaze, she could still feel herself blushing at his full attention on her.

"Don't you think it's time for the human to run away? You can't stay forever, you know." Jinwoo talked softly now but the suggestion was enough to convince anyone. "If the bear's not hostile with you already... at some point, it will be and yet it could still be worse. Clearly, the sun and all the waiting can't do anything much. The temperature remains cold because that's just how it is given the setting so the ice will keep forming and adding up to that iceberg... becoming stronger than ever till it's far from being saved."

Jisoo furrowed her eyebrows as she tried to understand how the man described it. She could be comparing the temperature to the factor affecting Jennie to act so cold, thus being the setting. It's true that one's environment affects how the person acts and it's one of those which has impacts that will be hard to change. One of those things that will be hard to escape from since a person lives and grows up in it.

"So you're saying..."

"I'm saying, sure, you can see cracks on the ice but those repair themselves. But what if it's the human who cracks? Or maybe turn to ice too?" He smiled lightly as the song in the room finished and their dance came to a stop. "The world will lose two beings instead of one. So isn't it better if at least one of them is saved?"

'Oh. Wow. He's really... smart and amazing, huh..?'

"Jinwoo oppa, just now... do you mean that as..." Jisoo can't finish her question, still caught off guard with the come backs the latter had thrown at her. She was still contemplating about them until Jinwoo patted her shoulder.

"Think about it, Jisoo. Think about it really carefully." Jinwoo smiled widely again and she just wasn't too sure if she could return it. "Then tell me how the human responds to that idea. Sometimes I think we ought to discuss things with each other. We might agree on something in particular and get along quite well in the future."

~***~

After their sumptuous dinner, Jisoo went back into her room as she arranged and fixed the presents she had received. She should be preparing for the resumption of classes but instead she just abandoned everything. She had been pacing for almost an hour since everyone left and it was time for bed.

She lay herself on the mattress with a plump, her eyes closing in and staring up at the ceiling. She was still bothered about Jennie and thinking if she should make a move to fix things. But a part of her says that she had no major fault in that or whatsoever. Only that she wanted to ease the feeling in her gut.

'Should I go and talk to her now?'

Jisoo reached up for the snow globe she got from the younger girl and shook it thrice. There was still no recording saved but she was thinking of putting one on it soon. She sat up and was just about to sing some random song she came up with when she heard a distinct knocking.

The moment she opened the door, Jennie barged into her room so fast that it was almost like the older girl was winded up from a storm. Jennie stood in the middle of her room, her arms crossed and poker face on display. Jisoo closed the door and started mumbling.

"Do you want to come in? Yes, please come in. Good evening. What can I do for you?" Jisoo said, not really being sarcastic but she didn't know how to welcome this girl who just entered her room like it was her own. "Can I get you something to drink or some cake--"

"It wasn't my intention to ruin your birthday, okay? I've never really had one that I was entirely happy for and, yes, my childhood wasn't that kind of thing or shit but don't ever think for a second that I wanted to ruin yours. Just because of that... that I was an unfeeling bitch who can't let anyone be happy because I'm not." Jennie started so quickly as if she wanted to explain first then go run a marathon later on. "I don't want to make you sad or cry especially not on your birthday so just tell me how I can make it up to you because I can't stand another second of my cousin guilt tripping me for the next days let alone hours. He's been doing that since earlier. So tell me your wish."

'What?'

Jisoo tilted her head to the side. It seemed like the other girl had been misinformed. "He really said I've been crying? Or sad?"

"He said you've been distracted and something about passing the pain onto him? What does that even fucking mean?" She replied in her agitated tone. She sighed and Jisoo finally understood that he was pertaining to her stomping on him countless times. She thought of clearing it up but Jennie interrupted her and continued, "Look, Jisoo, I was angry earlier because I didn't know that it was your birthday, because you had thrown a party that I didn't know--"

"Well I didn't know too. Because, you know, it was a surprise. You know how surprise parties go, right? You don't let the celebrant know about it." She cut her off and Jennie looked like she was about to retort back only to go meek all of sudden. "Sorry. Please go ahead and continue. I'd like to hear what you have to say."

She fumbled with her fingers and bit her lip for a few seconds. Then she started speaking in such a soft voice, Jisoo forced herself not to come close and hear it right against her ear. Jennie looked like some scolded child who wants to make amends as if that cute face can't save her already.

'Dam you, Kim Jisoo. You didn't have to be so mean to this little girl inside the body of a... sbort girl.'

"I was mad because if it was actually your birthday... I want to be the one who greeted you first."

'Shh. Be still, my heart. Be. Still. She just said she wanted to be the first one to greet me.'

"I would've bought you a present beforehand. Better than all of these..." Jennie said as she gestured to the pile of gifts on the side. The older girl wasn't really onto material things but it was enough to distract her from the impact of Jennie's words. She didn't get to say another word because the latter continued, "Instead of asking those pretentious people to celebrate a suprise party with you, I would've brought the kids and Sae Ra eommonim from the orphanage to come here for you. I'd get to actually see you being surprise with big smiles all on your faces and that's what should have happened. Jinwoo oppa said you ought to celebrate a holiday with your special someone which was why he invited Park Chaeyoung in New Year's Eve. But it's your birthday and you deserve people you consider as your family rather than those people who fake their smiles and actions for you because they have to for a socialite's function."

Jisoo hitched her breath as Jennie finished her short speech. She was grateful for everything that occurred during the day but it was indeed more heartwarming if all those that the younger girl wants for her is the one that happened. She was speechless and she could only manage a huge smile that she didn't bother to hide.

"That's cute." It was more than cute. Jisoo had a list of how she could describe it but she held herself back. She cleared her throat and decided to tease Jennie. An idea in her head popped out like light bulb in those animations she had watched. "But it's too late already, Jennie. The moon's out and you've got to find some other way to make it up to me."

The older girl walked closer to her as Jennie took a step back each time. She wasn't aware why it looked like she was cornering the latter until Jennie got herself seated on her bed. Alluring eyes stared up at her, making her want to do all those bad things one can't do on someone looking so innocent.

"What do you want?" The younger girl asked in that velvety voice Jisoo had missed so... so much.

'Control, Jisoo. You got this. Stay calm. Don't be too obvious or you'll ruin it.'

"I want you..." Jisoo said slowly, using that pent up need inside her to fuel her words, as Jennie closed her eyes briefly and licked her lips. She bit her own botton lip to restrain herself the leaned in just to whisper in her ear. "To sing for me."

"What?"

"I want to hear your voice singing for me, Jennie." Jisoo pulled back and smiled at the younger girl.

Jennie blinked thrice as if she still didn't realize the latter was teasing her. "That's a code for 'I want to hear you screaming for me while we have sex.' I'm right, aren't I?"

"Pfft. No!" Jisoo bursted out laughing, clapping her hand and shaking her head like a seal. "Jen! That's not it!"

"Then what do you mean? What else would that mean?" She was so confused that Jisoo laughed even harder. It was such a mean trick but so far, the younger girl didn't act like she wanted to kill her for it.

Jisoo picked up the snow globe on her bedside table and urged Jennie to take it. The latter eyed it dubiously and blinked twice, making Jisoo think it's a habit done when she's confused as hell. It took her to look back and forth between Jisoo and the snow globe before she finally spoke up.

"You're not returning to this to me right now, are you?"

"Nope."

"Do you want me to shake it for you?" Jennie suggested with a smile, making Jisoo think she's just finding a way out.

"Nah uh. Try again."

She huffed and glared at the object at hand. "You want me to record myself singing?"

"Yep." She nodded and smiled. She tried that puppy dog eyes that she hoped it didn't look weird with her face. "Come on. It's my birthday. Please?"

"That Happy Birthday song is so fucking lame. I am not singing that." Jennie shook her head adamantly.

'I just want your own recording in my snow globe. Geez!'

"Then you can just sing anything! I promise I won't ask for anything else. All will be forgiven today. You also don't have to buy me another set of Chanel or what but just this! Just record a song, any song so there's something recorded on my Jeji. I also recorded one on yours last time! I don't often sing for others, you know!"

Jennie looked like she was having a crisis trying to digest everything that came from her mouth. Jisoo pouted and acted cutely even when she told herself she won't ever do that in her life. She must have looked like a whiny child and stopped the latter's brain from working.

"Please? Jennie?" Jisoo did what could be her aegyo, one that she thinks to be inexistent. But she hoped it would work so she tried again with more effort in one word. "Jebaaal?"

Jennie bowed her head and shook it slowly as if this was some big dilemma or shit that life threw on her. She let out an exasperated sigh then stood up. Her hands were holding onto the snow globe as she paced towards the door. Jisoo didn't follow immediately, thinking she'd cut the younger girl some slack and let her just record in peace without her presence.

She turned back and looked at Jisoo in the eyes. "Are you coming or what?"

The birthday girl didn't have to be asked twice as she was walking to wherever Jennie would go. One step back at first, before she got a weird look from the latter. The next thing she knew... they were walking side by side as they reached the room at the far end of the hall where Jennie disappeared to earlier.

~***~

"Woah. I never knew this exists..."

The room they entered was huge. Then again, each room in the mansion was huge but this one gave a particular vintage and classy vibe. Jisoo wasn't sure if the walls were soundproof, given that there are many instruments ranging from classical ones to some electric guitars displayed, because whether it was music or noise... surely they would have preferred it to be contained. Somehow it was too sacred or luxurious for her to step into. She was still standing on the carpeted floors when Jennie already reached the grand piano.

"So you have a music room too..."

Jennie was staring intently on the piano in front of her yet the other girl wasn't done from admiring the room. "Yeah."

"Does this thing actually work or it's for display only?" Jisoo pointed at the vinyl record player which looked ancient at the other side of the room. "This looks like one of those from black and white movies."

"Everything here plays quite fine and well... except for me." She sat quietly in front of the piano then revealed its keys. There was no speck of dust on it due to their servants making sure all was polished. Especially the most eye-catching one. "Can you close your mouth already, Jaesu, and pull yourself over here so we can start recording to get this over with?"

"Oh! Right! Sorry."

Jisoo did as she said and prepared the snow globe. Nothing in the room was exciting her more than being able to finally record Jennie's voice and actually hear a live performance. She only expected to enjoy her singing, maybe humming, but now... she got herself to watch the younger girl playing the piano too.

"Chaeyoung thought me a few before. I can also play the birthday song if you want." She commented when Jennie was so still and composed. "You know like how an organ has light for you to follow through? I can play it from memory now. Only the birthday song though."

"I could only play from memory too." Jennie chuckled softly, her hands hovering over the keys in that way a pianist prepares, then she glanced at her. "But I told you I'm not singing you that overused birthday song."

Jisoo smiled and nodded. She pressed the record button under the snow globe then placed it somewhere on the piano. She watched Jennie closing her eyes and breathing in before those slender fingers started moving towards a soft intro. She knew about the song, Winter Child, and it felt like her heart was caught. As if it hasn't been already, with Jennie nearing the first lines.

Born in the winter,
Beautiful you
Clean like snow
You who belong to me

Jennie was focused on playing the piano as Jisoo was into her singing voice. It melded so well into the deep sound coming from the instrument. Its combination was enough to have her swooning with just the first word being sung.

Born in the winter,
My lover
Clear as snow
You who belong to me

Regardless whether it's spring, summer, autumn or winter
Always clear and clean

The younger girl may be singing to her in a very off tune way yet Jisoo won't ever complain. That wasn't even the case, not at all, because she could feel herself so attuned to the softness of Jennie's singing relaying to her and the way it touch her heart. The meaning of the lyrics were already heartstopping and yet it kept that little organ of hers beating so fast.

Born in the winter,
Beautiful you
Clean like snow
You who belong to me

Gone was Jennie's eyes on the calculative shifting from one note to another, on her fingers motioning the combination of the black and white keys as her gaze settled herself on Jisoo alone. It felt like she was not just singing the song but that she was giving her all for the older girl to listen to. The last line from that verse was sang, transcends itself onto Jisoo's already too high captivity and made her weak on the knees as those cat-like eyes showed nothing but attention to her. As if Jennie would never sing this song if it wasn't for Jisoo at all.

The older girl can't help it anymore so she went to invade the pianist's place. She sat on the space left before she succumbs to the ground. She watched her with her heart shaped lips forming that wide smile that she wouldn't be able to stop even if her cheeks start to hurt and fall off.

Regardless whether it's spring, summer, autumn or winter
Always clear and clean

Jennie leaned in to her side with a smile on her lips too and said over the booming sound of the piano, "Sing with me."

Jisoo giggled then she quickly stopped herself because that would be part of the recording too. She wanted to record this song without any disturbances. She wanted to record it without a flaw just like how Jennie's performance is. Just like how each note was hit flawlessly with the timbre of her voice.

Born in the winter,
Beautiful you
Clean like snow

The younger girl was insistent with her singing along so she nudged the newly turned 19 years old girl. Their gazes met and she let herself join Jennie in singing that last line. Jisoo let it go for she was losing herself in the song yet her eyes were truly only lost in Jennie alone.

You who belong to me

She started swaying slowly from side to side, gummy smile framing her lips. Jisoo followed along but stopped herself from singing along because she can't help but laugh. That would eventually lead her to cracking her own voice and she didn't want that especially on the upcoming high notes.

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you ooooh
Your birthday...

Happy birthday to you...

Jennie did a comical way to sing the long English happy birthday line on the next verse, prompting all of Jisoo's effort to stop herself from burtsing out loud. She was still singing, playing the song in an upbeat way while also clearly enjoying the reaction she was getting. There were too many times that line was repeated and soon enough Jeji, Jisoo's snow globe, was recording a mix of their voices. A combination of their laughs here and there while one of them try to outwin the other in hitting high notes with a funny face.

Jisoo knew in that moment that this could easily have been the best birthday she had. This was a scenario she'd want to play over and over again. She should have recorded this instead through a video but she doesn't let that tinge of regret eat her up. She had recorded Jennie singing and the two of them having fun as she did a rendition of Winter Child was enough.

This was enough to fill her with joy for her birthday. She knew to herself now that she might never stop singing that song when it felt like nothing can top that. When it felt like it could very well be her favorite song now.

When both girls have calmed down, their bodies barely swaying and their feet not bouncing up on the ground, Jisoo just tried to take in all that she could get from Jennie. Those fingers that can work herself a long lasting magic. Those eyes that had taken their place as Jisoo's favorite pair. That smile that surely will never stop making her smile back in return and will never not make her love Jennie.

Happy birthday to you

As the last sound echoed, that voice with much conviction inside Jisoo's head continued echoing her heart's desire. The thought of scolding herself for having all her feelings caught with just one song didn't even brush her mind. All she could think about was how Jennie made her feel special despite being the only one around. Despite the latter saying that she should spend a special day with her special someone.

"Happy Birthday, Kim Jisoo." Jennie greeted with so much genuineness that the way she threw those words during the day was competely erased from memory. She chuckled when she didn't hear an immediate reply and put a stop on the recording. "I hope you enjoyed that mini concert."

"Thank you. I loved it."

"You're welcome. Anything for the birthday girl."

Before Jisoo could even think about it, before she even had milliseconds to change her mind, before the gap between their faces become long meters... she kissed Jennie squarely on the lips. She closed her eyes, letting her feel its plumpness and how it always fits just so right unto her very own. It didn't last too long or gone too deep but it nevertheless had Jisoo totally flushed.

Once they parted, Jennie only returned her slow forming smile with one of her small ones. "One song, one kiss. Be careful, baby girl. You'd have a long line of singers and wannabe singers trying to get one."

"Yeah sure. But you know what?" Jisoo laughed at that while shaking her head. "I'd still choose you."

She spoke with her heart on the tip of her tongue. She spoke with her voice using nothing but honesty. Because she'd still choose the winter child who always make her feel the warmth despite the impending coldness surrounding her.

~***~

The guest rooms of the Kim household were mostly on the same side of the couple's master bedroom. It was mostly empty but Kim Jinwoo settled himself on the one closest to the staircase. He usually used the room beside his cousin's room but time brought the girl's personal assistant using it instead of him. Jinwoo chuckled to himself as he remembered how Jennie kicked out that particular one P.A. because of that simple ordeal.

Apparently... the spoiled girl won't even do that now and he finds it amusing. Not only that but the whole situation involving his cousin and a Kim Jisoo. The knocks on the door brought him out of his deep thinking and had him answering without rushing.

"Hi. Good evening, oppa."

"Oh it's you..." His eyebrows rose up at the sudden visitor at such a late hour. "To what do I owe this pleasure, Jisoo?"

The corner of Jisoo's lips tugged up and that smile could never be a lie. "To that human finally making up his mind and wanted me to relay what he thought about what you said earlier."

"I see." Jinwoo opened the door wider, inviting her to come in. "And should we hear it already and amuse ourselves or should I get you something to eat first?"

"Charming, oppa." She chuckled yet didn't oblige to the offer of sitting down. "But I just came here to deliver the message then I'm off again. It's late and I should really sleep. And yeah... wouldn't want other people getting a bad idea with a girl and boy in one room, right?"

Jinwoo observed for Jisoo seemed like she could be jumping off the walls any time soon. "You're quite energetic for a late night."

"I guess something really... really great just happened."

"Really really? Twice of that and that's too much." He laughed and made his way to his work table. He reached for his glass, his eyes staring at the bottle of brandy on the other side. "Can I ask what it's about?"

"Oh! I recorded Jennie playing the piano and singing for me-- are you okay, oppa?"

Jisoo approached the older one as the glass slipped from his hand. Luckily enough, it landed on the table and didn't break at all. She heard him barking a surprised bordering disbelief laugh.

"I'm sorry. What did you say?"

"Are you okay?"

Jinwoo waved impatiently as if saying he was fine. "No, the information that came before that. I'm fine, Jisoo."

"Oh... I said Jennie played the piano and sang earlier."

"Did she now?" He scoffed and shook his head a bit. "And what did she, I mean, why... did she do that?"

"I asked her to. As a birthday present." Jisoo's still giddy, probably up in the moon to notice how the latter's fading smile. "Which brings me back to my own discovery. I mean from the bear in that iceberg, you know. You told me to tell you."

He seemed to have finally concentrated at the topic at hand so he nodded. He gestured for her to continue. "Please. Go ahead. Did the human finally decided to poke the bear now?"

"The human starts a fire. He doesn't set the iceberg on fire but he creates small fires surrounding it." Jinwoo blinked and scrunched his eyebrows as Jisoo went on to share her insight. "You see... it'll take long for the ice to melt and the ice will form its hard cold shell again. But if you start from even just embers on different spots near the iceberg, won't you be able to melt all the ice faster? The human won't hurt the bear in that way, the process will be easier by now which means it won't take forever to wait around and once all of that ice has melted away... we'll get the bear out. Surely tired and vulnerable though so the next step will be making sure it'll feel safe and sound."

"So... the human won't ever give up? Is that what you want to imply?"

"Yes."

Jinwoo squinted his eyes, his chest heaving up as she appraised the girl. "You've thought about this really carefully?"

"Yes, oppa. Because you see those little flames that the human creates aren't just for the bear. It's for him too. It might be risky because it's like playing with fire but if those could trigger and start something warm both inside and out for them... it's a possible solution. It'll prevent them from freezing to death and leaving. It will work out soon enough. For both of them."

There was that prolonged silence before Jinwoo started a round of applause for her. The loud laugh coming from him surprised Jisoo too because she had never Kim Jinwoo acting loco like this. He had a huge smile and he was wiping some tears from his eyes.

"Kim Jisoo, you're really something. I knew I've always liked you."

Jisoo watched as he poured himself a bountiful amount of alcohol. She scrunched her face at everything relating to Kim Jinwoo now. "Oppa, you say you like me but it's not in a romantic way... right?"

"What makes you think that? Suddenly you can tell how other people feel for you? And here I thought you're dense to such thing." His words had her mouth wide agape. He drank a mouthful and smiled at her. "I mean you don't seem to do anything with Jiwon's obvious affection for you."

'So he's pertaining to Bobby. I thought for a second...'

"Why would you think I can't love you? Because I love my cousin?" Jinwoo was now talking freely with her as if Jisoo wasn't getting any wrong ideas from it. She tried not to but that night when she saw him lurking on Jennie's room wasn't a good foundation at all. "I meant that as purely a brother figure. I'm one of the few who loves her so you can be rest assured that I want what is best for Jennie. No matter what happens, no matter what it costs."

Jisoo thought back to that night again and that could've been Jinwoo showing nothing but pure love for his cousin. The gentle kiss and intent gaze for Jennie could only mean one thing. "I do believe you. Somehow I think you'd really choose what you think is best for her."

'But if that's the case...'

"You're thinking of Song Minho right now, aren't you? It's either about a warning he said to you which involves me... or your thoughts thinking how much we have in common." Jinwoo sat himself on the couch and crossed his legs. "We're kind of the same in that way. Go ahead. Say it. I won't judge. It's better to say something out loud or I'll feel like you're backstabbing me on the back of your smart... so smart brain."

"But if you're like Mino, then--"

"Ahh... then do I act like him too? The answer is no, Jisoo-ah. He can be quite brutal and his way is harmful. It fails too. So I don't do that." He hummed as if he wasn't done comparing himself and Mino. "His doings are quite immature really. My ways are more precise and effective."

Jisoo couldn't believe her ears. Though there was a part of her that bewares her of Kim Jinwoo but she didn't think her sweet and gentle Jinwoo oppa could be that kind of person too. She felt disappointed because she thought she found someone on her side for once.

"So you'd order someone to do the dirty work too?" She shook her head as the latter merely have a change in his expression. "You want me to stay away from Jennie too?"

"Whatever makes you think that? That would be the last thing I want you to do! Well, next to you painting a bad image out of me." He smiled that good old gentlemanly smile. "I'm still that oppa who's fond of you the first time I laid my eyes on you."

"I'm sorry but my instinct suddenly tells me you've also mastered the way of Faking a Smile 101."

"Ooh! Jennie's top two in that course. She was taught by an original."

"Is that you?"

"Would I like to be the top one in that? Gee thanks but that sounds like an awful thing for someone good and gentle looking, right?" He commented in a too lively way that was so unlike the oldest friend who sees to it that everyone's on their proper behavior. Maybe it was really time to realize Jinwoo could joke around as much as his friends do. "I'm joking. I'm playing around with you right now, Sooyah."

"I was getting there. Because apparently you've played me well. Congratulations." She replied with sarcasm.

Jinwoo laughed hard yet again. It took him a long time to stop and maybe it was the alcohol or him being a lightweight because once he stood up, he was swaying a bit. His glass was only half empty but Jisoo could tell she has to be extra careful with him.

"Jisoo do you know? Jennie played the piano today. She's really good and quite something, isn't she?"

'Yes, I was the one who listened to her.'

"She's wonderful." She replied shortly, excluding the venom in her tone as she remembered those fingers turning simple keys into some magical tune and her voice hitting each note perfectly. Jinwoo had this look as if he was in a haze. "I think she practiced so well in the past years. She said she can only play from memory--"

"She only needs a music to be played at least twice, at most five times to nail it perfectly. My cousin is a piano prodigy." Jinwoo stated as if it was a common knowledge. He seemed to be proud enough to announce it to the whole world but his smile relayed melancholia. "But she stopped playing. It's the first time she played in years and she did it for you. All just because you requested it for your birthday."

"I was quite persistent. Believe me, I think I've made a fool out of myself before she agreed."

"You think we didn't do that before? You think we haven't tried everything for Jennie to answer to our whims even just a simple smile from her? You, Kim Jisoo?! Really think I didn't beg my cousin to stop acting like a total mute around us ever since she--" Jinwoo levelled his voice down as if he realized how much he had raised it in front of her. He didn't bother finishing his sentence. He just sighed and shook his head. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I raised my voice at you. I shouldn't have done that."

Jinwoo went to sit on his bed and ruffled his hair. Jisoo's heart skipping beats, not in that good way, had her keeping that distance from him. All she could see right now was a troubled man, someone hopeless. Someone who looks indecisive in doing things in a good or bad way and yet... with a good intention.

"You've obviously shaken up Jennie in ways that we can't, Jisoo. You're that human, the only human who can take the helpless and weak bear from that cold shit that she and nobody else can't pull her out from." He looked up at her and shrugged. "I need you to help me make that happen."

Jisoo unconsciously held her breath. That sounded like she would be used to help him for Jennie's sake. Yet she was still full of doubts and questions and Jinwoo acting like how she hoped he didn't... wasn't helping his image to her at all. She could be agreeing to becoming some sort of tool without fully knowing his true intentions.

So she decided to ask him once and for all. "And why do you want that to happen?"

"Why you ask me..." Jennie's cousin chuckled without any humor, in a helpless tone. His own pair of brown orbs looked a tad darker as he stared intently into her eyes as serious as he could ever be. "To see her vulnerable, of course. How else are people going to see and know my cousin for who she really is if she isn't?"

》》》》》》》

The yt link above is for the song Winter Child by Bae Suzy. As part of jensoonation, that song should already remind and mean something to you, right? (;

Because I'm quite happy today... I hope you all are too. This is a long chapter so I hope you enjoyed it. (:

If you see hiatus or semi-hiatus on my profile already... you know what it means. Thank you for all the love and fun we've shared this whole time. Hopefully, you'll still be there whenever I update this. Ily. 💋🖤

P.S. Blinks, don't throw hate on Kim Jinwoo irl, okay? He deserves his solo too and we all should support him. 😊 I mean it. Seriously.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152K 6.4K 29
[jensoo] Jennie would do anything for Jisoo, but the older girl thinks it comes off a little weird. -Completed <3 thanks for the love :)
23.1K 1.8K 71
Some clichés aren't just clichés, some clichés are real. How to meet the right person at the wrong time and then realize that in addition to love and...
39.9K 1.7K 39
Kim Jisoo, straight, In a relationship with a guy named Jinyoung. Her life is simple, she is a college student, every day enjoying her life at school...
12.2K 548 10
Just Jisoo being the naughty one but loves her wife so much, even though her wife is really possessive.