Dream a Little Dream // Danie...

By AutumnsFl0wers

"Who's Daniel Howell?" You've never really been interested in YouTube. Quite frankly, you don't really care f... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39*
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Biggest News!
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50: Turning Point

Chapter 43

327 16 6
By AutumnsFl0wers

After what felt like ages of staggering in a thick white haze, Phil eventually made it back to (Y/N)'s familiar apartment building. Standing outside the building as he awaited Dan to come fetch him, Phil leaned himself against the hard exterior of the complex and began reflecting on what had happened within the short time he was outside. Thinking back at all that had happened, Phil felt the colour drain from his face as a nauseating shame take hold of his body. He swallowed in a choked fashion, feeling as if he was trying to rid himself of the bitter bile that crept up from his throat. If only he had kept his mouth shut!

Before coming back to their friend's apartment, Phil had spent a few extra moments gathering the bedsheets from their beds, folding them up tightly in a sleeping bag roll. He shuffled around the flat and eventually located two bungee cords to secure the rolls in place. After they were rolled together tight, Phil took a pillow from each of their beds and stuffed them into the respected centers of their blankets, creating some sort of fabric sushi roll. Phil sighed as he observed the bundles he was supposed to carry a few blocks down the street, dreading how cumbersome his travel time would be. Not only that, but it would be longer too seeing as he had to avoid a certain street along the way. There was no telling if people were still crowded around the girl who had fainted on the sidewalk, making a ruckus and growing in numbers. Phil could have stayed in his apartment longer and waited for time to pass but he was in a rush to get back to his friends.

After a few failed attempts at locking his front door with blankets in hand, Phil eventually grew frustrated and let out an uncharacteristic groan, muttering ill-spirited words under his breath as he threw them to the ground. He couldn't help it at this point, he was so unbelievably stressed with all that had happened. He was worried about (Y/N), Dan, and the fact that he was so viciously rude to Hailey. He tried to convince himself that she deserved it after everything that she had done, but this only made him feel worse. Even though she had one too many terrible bones in her body, it didn't give him the right to lash out like that. He never wanted to be mean to anyone, no matter what.

Hunched over his front door, Phil fiddled with his keys until he managed to lock the door after many failed attempts. In his frustration his hands would not stop shaking. Perhaps it was the stress or the fact that he had to go back outside; his shameful embarrassment was immeasurable. He let out a shaky sigh in an attempt to rid himself of his sour mood. He straightened himself out, dragging his hands across his pant legs in an attempt to wipe off any imaginary mood dust. Hopefully by doing this he would be gain back some of his usual composure. Phil nodded to himself and reached for his fabric sushi rolls, going for his colourful one first before taking the monochromatic one in his other arm. He turned around only to jump back in sporadic fright. "Ah! Susan, you scared me!"

Standing in front of Phil with a concerned stance was none other than Susan, the elderly woman who owned the pharmacy a few blocks down. Not only was she one of the most pure women to ever live in this flat, she was also one of their most genuine and supportive fans. Not to mention one of their most kind neighbours as well! She looked up a Phil, adjusting her glasses as she looked at the state he was in. "My my, Phillip. That's quite the haul you've got there. It looks like you're about to go camping." She looked behind him at the doorway, then up and down the hallway of the flat, a disapproving tone in her voice. "Is Daniel not helping you carry all of this?"

"Ah, no. He's not here today. I was actually bringing these to him. We're kind of staying at a friend's house tonight." He shimmied the blankets in his arms up a little to get a better grasp. "They don't have many blankets, so I offered to bring ours over to their place."

Susan nodded, stifling a tiny chuckle. "Well I say, that's an awful lot for you to carry. I hope they're picking you up, who ever this friend is. I can't imagine you walking a great distance with these newfangled things in your arms. You'd look a fool outside!"

Phil cracked a shaky grin, trying his best to assure her. "Oh yeah, don't worry. I've got a ride. Won't be dragging these down the block, no ma'am." He looked down the hallway towards a clock nailed on the wall. "Well, I've got to go now. It was great talking to you again!"

As Phil took a step forward, Susan suddenly placed a foot down on his own, stopping him in his tracks. "Now Phillip, you know I can spot a liar a mile away. Not only that, but that clock hasn't been working for a year now!" She tapped her head, looking up at Phil with knowing eyes. "Can't fool this old-timer. Come, I'll drop you off at your friend's house." Phil was about to protest before Susan interjected. "Ah ah ah! No butts, young man. I will not let you waddle out their and stumble down the block. What kind of neighbour would I be if I let one of my favorite young lads traverse with such awkward baggage? Absolutely will not have it"

Knowing that it was meaningless to argue with her, Phil let a smile etch its way across his lips. "Thank you, Susan. I owe you one."

Susan shook her head. "Not a problem at all, deary. I'm always willing to help you two young'uns out. It's the least I can do. Come," She gestured towards her door down the hallway. "Let me get a few things and I'll meet you down the stairs, alright love?"

Phil nodded, retreating down the stairs at a slow and awkward pace. The way he had to move down the stairs was visually clumsy and ungainly. He lumbered down the steps like a wounded animal, holding his breath whenever he felt himself tip off balance slightly. He was incredibly lucky that he made it down the stairs. Otherwise that could have been the end of Phil Lester!

He was only waiting a few moments before he could hear the overhead steps of Susan, two at a time with rhythmic pace. Following close behind, Phil could hear the excited and uneven steps of another, the ticking of claws whenever they scraped against the hard steps. Panting ensued and echoed through the stairwell as a low pitched whine made its way to the main floor. Phil grinned when he saw a familiar canine erupt from the stairs. "Hey there, Cooper!"

The dog in question ran towards Phil, almost knocking him off balance as he thrust his body across Phil's legs. The dog looked up expectantly, a long pink tongue rolling off to the side. It was very hard for Phil not to drop everything and pet the animal, his black curls adorable and soft to the touch. Not only that, but his pleading brown eyes were enough to send people into a trance with how charming he was, the blond fur around his eyebrows perking up, giving him even more expression. When Cooper realized he wasn't going to receive any pets from Phil, he trotted off to his owner, marching his blond legs in place with impatience. Susan rolled her eyes when she saw her fluffy companion, bending down to scratch his blond muzzle. "You're such a goof, you know that? Your sheer size is enough to knock people over; I don't know why you can't understand this!" Cooper lolled his tongue to the other side, sitting down to howl out a boisterous 'hello!'

Susan allowed Cooper to stand against her legs as he had done to Phil, petting his favorite spot across his back. Cooper outstretched his body, raising one leg as he moved it in circles, taken over by pure bliss as his favorite spot was scratched. When Susan took her hand off him, Cooper looked back with dewy chestnut eyes and hurled himself against her legs again, almost knocking the woman to the floor. She sighed loudly, but no doubt in a loving way. "You can have more pets later. I'm taking you for a car ride!" At the very mention of a car, Cooper began spinning around in overjoyed circles, tapping his paws down in a play stance and he wiggled around excitedly. He let out a loud, deep howl, his voice cracking with how enthusiastic he was.

"Alright. Come on, Cooper. You too, Phil." Susan motioned towards the parking lot with her hand, opening the door for both Cooper and Phil. The dog sped past at a tremendous speed, running through the parking lot as he located his owner's car. Once he was there, he sat down and howled up a storm. Susan laughed out loud at the sight in front of her. "See, I'd expect this much howling from a Bloodhound. But I tell you, I've never heard such a noisy Goldendoodle in my life!"

Phil nodded in agreement, slowly edging his way to the blue car down the lot. "He's such a character. Dan and I remember when you got him as a puppy all those years ago. This was before we moved into your building, so the only time we saw him was when you brought him into the pharmacy." Phil chuckled as he remembered the past. "Dan was so surprised when he saw his coat pattern. He couldn't believe he was a Goldendoodle seeing as he's almost all black! He said he resonated with Cooper on a personal level."

Susan stifled a laugh as she approached the car. "I always joked with my husband that it looked like he was wearing a blonde bikini with socks! He was the only one of his littermates that looked like this, so we got a discount when we got him." She looked fondly at the excited dog wiggling at her feet, his blonde eyebrows going up and down in a humorous fashion. "He's the best purchase I've ever made in my life. Always by my side, even through my husband's passing." She was silent for a second before patting Cooper's head. "Alright, buddy. Time for a car ride!" Susan unlocked the car door quickly as Cooper flung himself into the back, colliding with a protective blanket across the seats. He brought himself towards the left hand window, readying himself for the amount of air that would pass through his floppy ears once the car was in motion.

Susan lead Phil to the back of the car, opening the trunk to reveal its clean interior. "Put your stuff in here, love. Wouldn't want Cooper to get his stinky paws all over your things." Phil gently placed his and Dan's blankets into the trunk, closing it once he was done. He walked around the side of the car and into the front passenger side. He took his seat, buckling up as he waited for Susan to start the car. But not before turning around and giving some much needed pets to Cooper. The dog was drinking every last bit of it up, poking his nose closer to Phil as his head, neck and part of his back received attention. However, once the distinctive squeak of the back window being opened sounded, Cooper shot his head back and placed himself outside the car, tongue rolling out as he wagged his tail furiously.

Without much delay, Susan started the car. Phil looked over as she put on her sunglasses, fiddling around the dashboard for another pair. "Want one, dear? It's supposed to get awfully sunny today."

Phil shook his head and politely declined. "No, thank you. My friend's house isn't that far away from here. I'll manage."

The elderly woman shrugged. "Suit yourself." She adjusted herself in her seat, placing her hands on the wheel. Phil leaned back, getting comfortable in this new seat. His comfort didn't last long as Susan suddenly revved the engine, sending his heart flying into his throat at the unexpected noise. She put her foot on the gas and sped out of the parking lot like a bat out of Hell, her tires screeching as they left black marks on the surface of the pavement. Phil reached for the handle above his head, tense in every way.

"How far did you say your friend's house was?"

"U-uh, just a few blocks down. It'll probably take about an eight minute drive from here."

She scoffed at these words. "Eight? Give me an address and I can get us there in four minutes." She looked back in her seat and cooed happy words to Cooper. "Get ready, buddy. It's going to be a wild ride!" Cooper looked back and wagged his tail, letting out a merry growl. With that, Susan stomped on the pedal, whooping joyously as Phil let out an inhuman scream.

------------------

"You're back quicker than I expected."

Dan hadn't expected Phil to get back so soon, his best friend appearing at the entrance of (Y/N)'s flat a lot earlier than he thought possible. Especially since the amount of things Phil had to carry in his arms would no doubt slow him down on the streets. "You're also really pale. Did something happen?"

Phil placed their blanket bundles beside (Y/N)'s futon, collapsing onto the couch with a great puff of air. He seemed stiff beyond belief, his hand reaching for the cushion on the futon and grasping it firmly. "Dan, have you ever seen Susan drive before?"

Taken aback by the random question, Dan cocked his head in confusion. "Uhm, no? Am I supposed to?"

Phil shook his head slowly, releasing his grip on the pillow. "Well, let's just say that she'll get you anywhere you want to go in half the time, if not less."

Dan nodded, forming his mouth in a silent "oh" before wandering over to (Y/N)'s closed door, taking a seat in front of the doorway. "That was probably the loud engine I heard moments before you texted me. I was wondering who the Hell was driving like a maniac." Phil nodded in confirmation, relaxing his body against the futon with a loud sigh. Dan narrowed his eyes, observing the uncomfortable behavior in his friend. "What else is wrong? You seem troubled."

His friend raised a hand to the air, swishing it at nothing in particular. "Oh, you know. Nothing really. Just... had a talk with Hailey on my way here is all..."

Dan bolted upright. "Hailey?!" He gasped, looking back at the door behind him and covering his mouth. He scrambled towards Phil, repeating his whisper harshly. "Hailey? Like, that Hailey?"

The raven-haired man nodded, running his hand through his dark quiff nervously. "Yeah. Honestly it felt like I was having the worse luck running into her only moments after the whole ordeal with (Y/N). It was..." Phil darted his eyes to the side, letting out an anxious chuckle. "... a meeting."

"A meeting? What kind of 'meeting', Phil?"

"Ehh, an unpleasant one? Maybe one where... words were said?"

"One where words were... Phil, you didn't."

Phil looked up with panic filled eyes, his blue gaze stark with worry. "I don't know what came over me! I just- I don't know, it was all bottled up and I just let it out! I felt so terrible once I walked off; I think she fainted too!" Dan was silent, staring at his friend in disbelief. When Dan hadn't spoken for quite some time, Phil's voice shook as he looked for reassurance. "Are you mad? Am I going to get in trouble?"

Dan let out a sudden snicker, covering his mouth at the ridiculousness in front of him. "Wow, Phil Lester! Losing his cool? I never thought that would happen! I congratulate you, truly!"

Phil was frozen in shock, feeling a bit of irritation prick at his skin. "But Dan! I said all those hurtful things! A-and I was awful, absolutely awful! I don't know why I did it; it was so sudden that I couldn't believe it myself!"

Dan brought his arm around Phil's shoulder, nudging him in the ribs. "I don't doubt what you said was awful," Phil withered at these words. "But I do know one thing: they needed to be said. Though they may seem terrible, those words were well deserved for a girl like her. After all she did to (Y/N), I'm ashamed that I didn't stick up for her. But you," Dan began patting Phil's back. "You had the guts to speak up. I never expected it, but I'm happy nonetheless."

Phil looked over at Dan, confusion emotions swirling in his eyes. "But... surely she'll find out about us being friends with (Y/N) after what I said. No, she definitely will! This could be horrible for (Y/N), and it's all because of my big mouth!"

"Oh, she knows. And you know what? I don't care." Dan retracted his arm from Phil's shoulder, crossing them across his chest. "Whatever happens, happens. The cat's out of the bag, but that doesn't mean we know where it'll wander off to, right?"

"I guess..."

"So it's settled. No use worrying about it now. Though I will say this... I'm kind of jealous that I wasn't there to see her reaction. I wonder how hard that dose of reality hit her? You said she fainted?"

Phil nodded, a small smile creeping onto his lips. "I think so. I didn't really look back."

Dan let out a low whistle. "Wow, that's pretty cold, Lester. Especially for you."

"Maybe."

The two boys sat in silence, wobbly grins making their way across their faces as they thought about all that had happened today. Phil was still battling with his emotions surrounding the event, but he no doubt felt better with Dan's reassurance. Dan on the other hand was immensely proud of what Phil had done, even if it may have seemed a little harsh. But then again, Hailey needed to hear it one way or another. Perhaps hearing it come from the lips of one of her idols was enough to shake some sense into her. Whatever the outcome, Dan would make sure she never stepped foot near his (Y/N) ever again.

My (Y/N)... It's ridiculous. She's not yours, you idiot. She's your friend... just a friend who you love...

Phil let out a chuckle. "We're ridiculous people, aren't we?"

Dan kept his eyes glued to the ceiling, tracing his gaze across the patterns of the surface. "Yeah. I am, aren't I?

A/N: Hello! I know I said this would be ready for July 1st, but that was more of a deadline for myself. I got back into the writing groove today so I thought I'd post early! Happy days~

You all encouraged me to continue writing, so back am I! Summer is approaching so hopefully I will be able to sneak away for a sentence or two during the break. As long as work doesn't tire me out to foolish level, we're set.

Also this may seem lame, but this chapter is dedicated to my dog, Cooper. He passed away earlier this month and his sudden sickness was a huge blow on my family and I. I miss him dearly, so I thought I'd dedicate this chapter to him and all his weird mannerisms. So I never forget all his wiggles, howls and needy attitude, I've written them here. Now I can look back and have a sense of who he was before his passing.

-B

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 5K 87
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
1M 18.2K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
1.1M 49.2K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
1.1M 44.5K 51
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...