Mistakes Were Made (Avengers...

By dbkiwi

Charlie Fury, a child adopted from India as a toddler, was brought up in New York by the infamous Nick Fury... More

01. Back At Work
02. Good Talks
03. Mission
04. Low-key
06. First Mistake
07. Invitation You Can't Deny
08. Central Park
09. Cafe Date
10. Party
11. Advice
12. Together
13. Dinner
14. Civil War
15. Prison
16. Realization
17. Breakfast
18. New Home
19. Welcome to Wakanda
20. A Kinda Chill Day
21. Returning
22. Risen Again
23. Back Again
24. I Love You For Life, Sweetheart
25. Ring Date
26. Meeting the New SHIELD
27. Work Day
28. Mumbai
29. Night Together
30. Planning
31. Bad News
32. Party Night
33. Wedding
34. Honeymoon

05. Sent Out

243 6 2
By dbkiwi

I sat alone at a table in a small quaint cafe, my notes and other papers around me. I scribbled notes in Hindi, ignoring the world around me. I was raised speaking Hindi when I was in the orphanage as a young child.

I jumped a little when someone sat in front of me. I looked up to see Nat, a large grin on her face. It was then I realized that Rhodey was with her.

I glared at Nat. "Really?"

"I'm not allowed to bring a friend?" Nat asked, a smug look on her face. She switched to Russian. "Invite him to sit, Charlie. He isn't too bad. You're just shy."

I glared at her for a moment before looking at Rhodey. "Come sit, Rhodey."

I cleaned up my papers and tucked my stuff in my backpack.

"How have you been, Charlie?" Rhodey asked.

I scanned his face, watching for anything. "I've been busy but alright. How are you?"

"Don't be so polite," Nat said in Russian. "You aren't getting any younger."

I kicked her under the table and rolled my eyes. Rhodey looked between us, a bewildered and curious look on his face.

Nat smiled. "I love you too, Charlie."

I shook my head and looked at Rhodey again. "You didn't answer my question."

Rhodey met my gaze. "Yeah, I'm alright. What were you writing earlier?"

"It's for a case," I replied. "You aren't a high enough clearance level to know anything about it."

Rhodey raised his eyebrow slightly. "What level are you?"

I paused, fiddling with my pen. "Level ten."

"There's only one person with that clearance level," Rhodey said, "and that's Fury."

I looked at Nat, switching to Russian. "He's onto me. Do something."

"No, you get yourself out of this," Nat said. "It's about time you learned to do things on your own."

I flipped her off. "I'm level ten because I've been around for a while. Fury trusts me a lot."

"Fury doesn't trust a lot of people," Rhodey replied. "What makes you special?"

I looked at him, completely deadpan. "I've known Fury for a long time. He would be an idiot if he thought I wasn't trustworthy."

Rhodey looked me over, still unsure. "Okay. If Fury thinks so, I have to agree."

"Maybe you should get to know her before you make a judgment," Nat said. "Charlie is a whole person and the judgment of others doesn't define her."

"Yeah," I said. "What she said."

Rhodey nodded, smiling a little. "I guess I have to be around you for a bit. You're a refreshing face to see when we're surrounded by idiots."

I laughed. "I know. It's - it's nice to actually have a smart person around."

"Thanks for that," Nat grumbled. "I'm not one of the smartest people on the team and your absolute best friend."

"No, not at all," I said. "You're the worst person in existence."

Nat laughed. "I love you too."

Before anyone could say anything, my phone started ringing and I picked it up.

"I need you at the base in New York," Nick said in Hindi. "It's important."

I rolled my eyes as I started packing whatever was left. "On one of my off days. What is it?"

"I can't say."

"You say that every time."

"I know but it's really important," Nick said.

I sighed. "Again, you always say that."

Nick sighed softly. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. Please, just come in."

I bit my lip and closed my eyes momentarily. "Yeah, okay. I'll be there soon."

The call ended and I got up. "I have to go, guys. I'll see you around. Don't get yourself killed."

"Can't promise anything," Nat called as I rushed away. I rolled my eyes and continued, throwing the middle finger over my shoulder. Nat was a pain in the ass most days but I loved her so much.  She was the one I trusted with everything. Even my feelings for Rhodey. They were low-key and weren't even worth mentioning but I told Nat everything. I trusted her with so many secrets even if they could cost me something.

I hopped onto the plane and gripped my backpack. I watched my surroundings and keeping to myself. I had grown up with Nick telling me over and over again to watch my back. He drilled into me to never wear headphones and always watch for warning signs.

My stop came and I got out. I headed to the base I needed to be at. I flashed my badge at the guard and bumped the door open with my shoulder. I was directed to a meeting room where Nick was. There were a few other higher members of SHIELD sitting down.

Nick waved his hand. "Charlie, please, sit down. We have a lot to talk about."

I squeezed my shoulder strap. "Is something up? Did I do something wrong?"

"Not at all," Agent Giles replied. "We're sending you somewhere else to work. Don't worry about it, Charlie. It won't be too hard for you."

I shifted from one foot to another. "Where do you need me?"

"With Agent Coulson," Nick replied.

"Isn't he dead?" I asked.

"No," Giles replied. "He's waiting for you outside with Lola."

I rolled my eyes. "Of course he kept that damn car."

"Language," Nick warned.

"Language," I mimicked. "I'll see you guys around."

I was about to leave but Nick called out my name, a clear warning in his voice. I stopped in my tracks and sighed. Nick dismissed everyone and I waited for them to leave. I looked at Nick and he stood with his arms crossed.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Drop the attitude, Charlie," Nick said.

"Why?" I asked.

"We don't need that from you," Nick said. "We just need you to do your job."

"Which I'm trying to do," I replied. "Can I go?"

"This doesn't mean we won't talk after you get back," Nick said as he leaned against the table. "I want you to understand how important it is that you do this. For me."

"You haven't done anything for me," I replied. "I have to go. Agent Coulson is waiting for me. Don't want to keep him waiting, don't we?"

I turned away and left without permission. I heard Nick call my name but I didn't stop. I left the base and joined Coulson in Lola. I tossed my bag on the floorboard and sat down, closing the door too roughly.

"Careful," Coulson exclaimed. "She's an old soul! Don't be too hard on her."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, whatever. I thought you were dead."

"Do I look dead?" Coulson asked. "I don't too gray, do I?"

I laughed. "Maybe in the hair but no, not too dead. Let's go. I wanna go for a ride."

Coulson smiled and started the car. We took off and drove through the city. We left the city and I slipped off my shoes, propping my feet on the dashboard.

"Where are we going?" I asked. "I thought the ship would be somewhere near the base."

"Sorry to disappoint," Coulson said. "I couldn't park it in the middle of New York. It's a few miles outside of the city."

I slouched farther into my chair. "I love a good ride. We should take her for a fly."

Coulson gave me a look. "Not now. You might spread it to your friends."

"What friends?" I asked. "I'm an agent of SHIELD. I don't have friends."

"That's the life, kid."

"I'm no kid," I said. "I'm in my twenties."

"And? You're someone's kid."

I looked away, biting my lip.

"I've seen that look," Coulson said. "What is it?"

I took a deep breath. "Parent problems. It's nothing, really."

"Parents didn't give you attention as a kid or something?" Coulson asked.

I nodded, rubbing underneath my eye. "Yeah. Single dad and the adoption process was a pain for him. Especially with what his job was. He was gone all the time and never had time - why am I even telling you this? You don't know me. You don't care."

"I know someone like you. Her name is Daisy," Coulson said. "She had no place in the world. She was lost and didn't have a family. I helped her find her place and gave her a family. You'll find your family and your place, Charlie. Don't stress yourself out."

"Maybe I should go to you for advice," I joked. "You're really good at this stuff."

"I've been around."

"I've heard."

Coulson chuckled and everything became silent. The radio sang in the background as we finally left New York. Coulson took me to some field in the back roads. The ship was waiting there for us. Coulson took Lola into the bay and parked as the doors closed behind us.

I got off with my bag. "Where's my room?"

"Follow May," Coulson said.

I looked up. May was leaning against the railing. I went up the stairs and May started inside. I followed her in.

"You'll be sharing a room with Daisy," May said.

"Daisy Johnson?" I asked.

"Yes."

May led me through the halls and to a room. She opened the door and left. When I stepped in, I saw a woman my age sitting on one of the beds. She looked up from the tablet in her hands.

"Hey," she said. "You must be Charlie. I'm Daisy."

I walked into the room. "Yeah, that's me. I hope I'm not a bad roommate."

Daisy waved me off. "Don't worry. You'll be fine."

I shrugged. "Not my problem if I disappoint."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 27.5K 73
What, never heard of her? Typical. She has more kills than the Winter Solider. She was taken when she was 4 for her powers. When she escaped she dec...
24.3K 579 111
We all know the story of how the Avengers assembled, their trayectory and everything they did to save the world. But what if I told you, that there...
5.2K 180 14
Meet Elise Acworth, the daughter of Nick Fury. She is only twenty-three years old. She, originally, was just a SHIELD agent, a scientist, and spy. Sh...
540K 15.9K 156
Adopted at a young age by Nicholas Fury, Y/N was raised as a Shield agent and was known to be one of the best. You were enhanced by Hydra before you...