32. Party Night

Months had gone by and it was finally time for my wedding. I was not only excited because I was getting married but Rhodey was also coming by. I couldn't wait. I just had to get through a party Tony had thrown to welcome all the guests I had invited. The Wakandan royal family was there along with a few well-known people.

I was dressed up in a lovely blue dress I had gotten awhile ago. I looked great but Rhodey still wasn't here. I missed him a lot but I knew that he was coming home that night. Maybe he was already there but wasn't showing his face in order to save the magic of the next day.

 Maybe he was already there but wasn't showing his face in order to save the magic of the next day

I got up from my spot on the couch and went to the bar. I got a sweeter drink and turned around to face the crowd to look for someone to talk to. The Wakandan royal family was standing by a tall table with their drinks. I went over to them and started talking with them. Nakia and Okoye were them and I made small talk with them, thanking them for coming. Shuri started talking to me excitedly, explaining different things she had created. I spent time with her and T'Challa, watching T'Challa. He kept staring at me with a loving look.

"Excuse me," I said. "I have to step out for a second."

I stepped away and walked away from the party. I went to a balcony and leaned against the railing, staring across the city. There were cars honking below me and people walking on the sidewalks. Staring at the lights of the skyline, sighing. I was joined by T'Challa, who leaned against the railing next to me.

"How are you doing?" T'Challa asked. "You looked a little unsure back there while we were talking."

I shrugged. "I don't know. I'm excited for tomorrow but I haven't seen Rhodey in months. I don't know if anything has changed between us. We called each other every week and texted each other whenever we could but I still - I just don't know."

"He loves you a lot, Charlie," T'Challa replied. "He knows his feelings for you and he wants to be with you for the rest of his life. Don't doubt anything about him."

I looked at T'Challa. "How do you know all of that?"

T'Challa smiled a little. "I saw him earlier today."

"So he's here?" I asked. "And he talked to you about me?"

"Yes," T'Challa replied. "He knows that I would be here and might talk to you. He's a good man for you."

I ran a hand through my hair, shaking it out a little. "I know. I just can't get rid of any feelings of doubt. I've known him for a long time and I've loved him for longer. Rhodey is a good man, you're right. He treats me right and knows all my quirks. I just don't like how he couldn't be here until tonight. I know he was a duty to his country but I still wanted him to be here, you know?"

"I understand, yes," T'Challa replied. "I know what it's like to have a sense of duty to your home country and I know how it feels to be torn between my loved ones and my country."