The Eldest | F. Darcy

By thebookgirl25

First Book in The Eldest series There lived six sisters in the Bennet household. The first was a very generou... More

Prologue: The Meeting
Chapter 1: Silent Stranger
Chapter 2: Shock and Abhorrence
Chapter 3: New Light
Chapter 5: Heart's Desire
Chapter 6: Accomplished Lady
Chapter 7: Netherfield Party
Chapter 8: Failing
Chapter 9: Mr. Collins
Chapter 10: Mr. Wickham
Chapter 11: Digging the Graves
Chapter 12: The Language of Flowers
Chapter 13: Plans
Chapter 14: Red for Love
Chapter 15: Netherfield Ball
Chapter 16: A Dance to fall in Love
Epilogue: The Last Dance

Chapter 4: After Jane

10.1K 342 49
By thebookgirl25

As soon as the dance ended, Darcy was happy enough to stand at his isolated corner with a cold expression. Adele joined the room in a few minutes and became the object of Darcy's eyes.

"I can guess the subject of your reverie," said Caroline Bingley.

"I should imagine not," still staring at the lovely yet mysterious lady who was standing with her father and Mary.

"You are considering how insupportable it would be to pass many evenings in this manner- in such society, and indeed I am quite of your opinion. I was never more annoyed! This insipidity and yet the noise- the nothingness and yet the self-importance of all these people! What would I give to hear your strictures of them!"

"Your conjuncture is totally wrong, I assure you. My mind was more agreeably engaged. I have been meditating on the very great pleasure which the pair of the most beautiful eyes, I have ever seen, in the face of the equally beautiful woman can bestow." Miss Bingley, with a rapid turn of the head, faced him with jealous curiosity about knowing more about the woman who caught this man's fancy. "Miss Adele Bennet," Darcy coldly obliged to the silent pleading.

"Ah! Miss Adele! Of course, the pair of unique purple eyes with icy blue fleck. Still, I am all astonishment. How long has she been your favorite? And pray- when I am to wish you joy?"

The conversation went on.

Adele, on the other hand, watched Bingley and Jane as they were the loveliest things. How unknown was to her that she too was seen by someone in the same way? After half the evening passed by, the party witnessed a gentleman entering the house. He was young and handsome than most with green eyes and blonde hair.

Darcy was occupied staring at Adele and did not realize the addition. Though the brightening of her face made him break the trance and follow her line of vision.

The man went to Sir and Lady Lucas and greeted them as a son. He turned with a smile.

"James!" exclaimed all Bennet sisters and went to him. They curtsied and he bowed with equal grace and happiness. Charlotte Lucas followed on their heels and greeted him.

"How are you, brother James?"

James Lucas smiled at her sister as an answer. "And what about you, my dear sisters?" He asked looking at Charlotte and Miss Bennets.

"We are good," said Lydia, and Kitty added, "happy to see you."

"Jane and Mary nodded while Charlotte smiled back. Elizabeth looked at Adele and whispered to James, "though, someone is not happy."

James looked at Adele, who was only giving a small smile and looking not at him. "My dear Miss Bennet," he said and kissed her hand, "am I not welcome?"

"I thought you were talking to your sisters, though I consider myself as your friend."

"So how are you, my dearest and loveliest friend?" His tone and eyes were equally affectionate.

"As happy as I can be to see a long lost friend? How have you been, James? It has been 6 years to the least."

"I am good and I know it has been a long while since the last time we met," he looked around and smiled at her, "may I have a dance?"

"I do not dance, Mr. Lucas. I have not for four years."

"Do not disappoint me. You declared us as friends and not brother and sister."

"A set would not harm," exclaimed Lydia eagerly.

"I am sorry, Lydia," Adele glared at her and then turned to him, "Though, you may dance with Elizabeth or Mary."

James gave her a sympathetic smile and took Mary's hand.

Darcy watched the exchange and the affection in the air which was thick enough to feel. He could not help but feel a burn in his heart.

"Mr. Darcy," smirked Caroline, "seems you have a competition for the fair lady."

Darcy felt a strong urge to say something on her face, but he was her brother's guest and it would be too impolite.
______________

Mr. Bennet's estate earned a good three and a half thousand a year, which, unfortunately, was entailed away from his daughters. They only had their mother's six thousand pounds and a sum of three thousand each, which Adele had saved in the reserve for her sisters, not for herself, from the estate's income. Due to her attention to the tenants, the optimism was high and so was the quality of things produced.

She was sitting in the library, looking at the beautiful scenery painting in the windows. It would rain that evening for sure. She brought her supplies and started to paint in the gardens. She was just done, completing the scenery when Elizabeth came to her.

"Mother is sending Jane to Netherfield on horseback," panted Elizabeth.

"Netherfield! Horseback! Why is she to go?"

Elizabeth passed her the note and added, "Mumma wants Jane to stay there for the night."

"Does not she know that a lady with running nose is better in shooing men, not attracting them," said Adele and ran off just in time to see Jane going on horseback.

"Goodness! No!" She hissed and ran off behind her. Soon, the downpour began and Adele knew her mother would be happy for her own success.

She knew a short way to Netherfield, but Jane had the advantage of the horse and thus the last thing that Adele saw was Jane getting inside the Netherfield gate and turned before she fainted from fever.
_____________

Darcy decided to return to Netherfield early because of how highly bored he was. The officers were all indifferent to propriety and were nowhere good for his society. He was also tired of idleness as he had broken himself from the party, moreover could only think of a certain lady who is heartless enough to deprive him of sleep.

Suddenly, the shower started and he was startled out of his thoughts. He kicked his heels into the side of the horse and rode faster.

Suddenly, when he was near the gate, he saw a shadow of a lady dropping to the ground. Uncertain of what to do, he stopped his horse and got down, making his way towards the side of the road.

"Adele," he was shocked to see hee fainted and all drenched in rain. He sat beside her and patted her warm feverish cheeks ever so lightly.

"Miss Bennet! Miss Adele!" said he, "wake up, ma'am"

Her brows twitched and her eyes adjusted to the light. He sighed in relief when he saw her looking around. His breath was caught when her eyes met his. Till then, he threw propriety out of the window, though it would only harm her. How much he wished Charles beside him then. Though the thoughts were gone as he looked at her.

Raindrops were dropping on her. His desire increased as he watched the droplets travel from her forehead to cheek to her jaw and neck and further. He gulped his desire.

"Miss Adele," his voice was husky, "what had happened to you?"

"Oh Mr. Darcy," she said while standing up, "it is nothing. I was just worried about Jane. My silly mother thought not twice before sending her on horseback in such a weather. I just followed her to see if she was good."

"Followed her! On foot! Miss Bennet, that was foolishness," it angered him that his Adele had to do so much. HIS Adele! Oh yes! She was his and his alone.

"You must come to Netherfield first, you are warm and feverish, madam!"

"I would be fine once at home. I cannot stay for my father would need me," She was restless as she was responsible for his estate and could not spare the time.

As she turned, he held her arm, firmly though not painfully, and turned her to face him. She stopped a few inches from his face while the bodies were all sticking. She was shocked and very nervous if only her stomach would stop the butterflies.

"You are not leaving madam, do not be a simpleton," he almost yelled at her and immediately took her over his shoulder. She yelped and then realized that he was to take her to Netherfield.

"Sir, do understand me. Mr. Darcy, please, do no-" she sneezed and left her sentence unfinished.

"Your body is turning cold, do let me help." Her body obliged his request as his soft tone tickled her all over and she sighed unknowingly.

She fainted on the way and Darcy played her down in a guest room. Louisa and Caroline were busy with Jane and thus no one saw him carry the lady except the footmen and other servants.

The desire rushed again when he glanced at her clothes clinging body. She looked like a goddess with her hair cascading the pillow and he could even see her cleavage a little.

"Oh, Adele! What are you doing to me," his voice was husky and he had to touch her.

He buried his hand in her neck and leaned in. He gently kissed her cheek and backed off, too sure that he would not be able to control himself.

She stirred in her sleep with a smile and moaned lightly. He smiled, after what seemed like ages, and turned. He walked to the door, as slowly as possible, too reluctant to leave her presence.

"Mr. Darcy," he heard from behind and turned to see Adele trying to sit up.

"No, be as you are. I was just going to get a maid, so that you may change into dry clothes."

"That would not be necessary, sir, I was just about to leave."

"Why is it?"

"My father would need me, as it is I who looks after the estate. Longbourn would not function properly with my father as in charge, that I am sure of. My tenants are not as free with my father as they are with me and Mary never opens up to any other."

"I do not think a day's rest would do anything wrong with the estate and Miss Mary."

"Do not be so severe, sir, Miss Bingley would see me as an enemy if you do."

Darcy smiled but said nothing related to it, "you should rest, madam, I will send a maid."

"Tell me how my sister is, at least?" Her face was full of sisterly concern.

"I do not know this myself, for we have just entered the estate."

Her brows knitted together as she thought about her sister. "Oh, Jane!" She mumbled and got out of the bed. Her head pained severely, however, Darcy would surely restrict her from going out if she showed her pain.

With baby steps, she got out of the room and to the passage. Darcy followed, shocked by the act. She was not a ready lover, but where she did, she loved fiercely.

"Mr. Darcy, if you can show me the way?"

Darcy nodded and asked the nearest footman. Bingley was already home and was astonished at the news of Jane's illness. When Adele entered with Darcy, the Bingley siblings and Hurst was in the same room as Jane.

"Oh, Jane! What has become of you? My dear dear sister, I should have known mother would do something for sure. I am sorry, Janey."

"Adele," said her sister with no hidden concern, "I am fine, but you are not. You look ill and are all wet."

"Oh do not concern yourself, my dear, I am just leaving for home."

Listening to the happy news, Caroline sprung up and was the first to assure her of Jane's well being.

"You are not leaving, Miss Bennet," came the firm reply of Charles.

"I am, sir, I have to. Let me not surpass on your kindness and do take good care of Jane for me."

"But the storm is severe and you are already wet. At least, be here till the storm ends."

Adele was forced so on. Reluctantly, she granted and was sent with a maid to change the dress.
____________

"Mr. Darcy," said the same maid with a courtesy, "My apologies for disturbing you but so are the circumstances."

Darcy nodded as a sign for her to continue, "Miss Adele. Her body is too warm and very weak. Forgive me for my indulgence, but she is not in the condition to move."

"Thank you, Giga, I will see to it. But you must leave and do prepare a cup of tea with lemon, cinnamon, and honey for the lady."

Giga went after a courtesy. Little did she know, how much concern was the gentleman left. Darcy made sure she had the tea and also that a note is sent to Longbourn about her being there.

"Thank you very much, Mr. Darcy," she smiled ever so slightly at him. He nodded curtly, trying not to betray his emotions, and left.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Shattered By Noel

General Fiction

298K 7.2K 42
⚠️THIS STORY IS OLD. IT ISN'T VERY GOOD. THE OTHER BOOK IS BETTER⚠️ Adeline was a good kid. She worked hard, took care of herself, and didn't let any...
24K 1.2K 89
People are never ready for the impossible. When Mr. Darcy discovered a trespasser in his lands, he imagined the young man to simply be a lost drunk f...
35.4K 1.9K 29
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." ...
2K 84 17
Aria, a 25-year-old high school English teacher, finds solace in the pages of books, with a particular fondness for Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Hav...