concealing ➸ tomlinson

By wasteIands

❝but at night, while the others slept, we kept walking the tightrope. it was practice, and some of us fell.❞ ... More

concealing
i
ii
iii
iv.
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
xliv
xlv
xlvi
xlviii
xlix
L
Li
Lii
Liii
Liv
Lv
Lvi
Lvii
Lviii
Lix
Lx
Lxi
Lxii
Lxiii
sequel, etc.
sequel plans
sequel and expansion

xlvii

52 3 2
By wasteIands

late-ish update for the occasion but this update's for christian!! happy days!! :D

-

jacob did, in fact, talk to the two boys luke had been chased by less than 24 hours later.

outside again, jacob exhaled a long cloud of smoke. "how ready are you guys?"

eli- the first boy, as luke had identified him as- shrugged. "when is she going to be ready, exactly?"

"kris won't be that hard to convince. emotional manipulation works wonders."

the second, joseph, glanced over at him. "if it does work, we'll still have to watch over the room?"

jacob nodded. "the new kids are headstrong cunts. especially michael, he'll probably end up being our biggest outside problem. but just do whatever works to keep them away."

the three of them stood outside in silence after that. jacob wasn't as edgy as they were about the plan. they'd had well over a year to fine tune every detail a person could possibly imagine. jumping from person to person, bringing in people and removing others, in a matter of the term. each of the remaining three knew that the first phase would have to be put into motion within the month. jacob was being optimistic with himself when he hoped for a two week maximum to finish things up.

"i'll explain things to kris before the end of the week." jacob decided aloud, snuffing out his cigarette on his jacket sleeve and dropping the rest onto the sidewalk.

he began to make his way back to the garage, but stopped just outside. after a few seconds of rather weak debate, jacob turned around again. "think you two can handle another quick job?"

eli and joseph looked at each other for a moment, then at jacob, smiled, and nodded.

-

there was a secret door.

that information itself was not new to a growing number of people. to kris, though, it was to be the first in a series of new revelations that would be coming that evening.

two days had passed since jacob had conversed with eli and joseph about their plan. he was beginning to get excited for what was to come, although he was rather quiet about it externally.

"why is this here?" kris asked, dragging her hand against the wall for some form of bearing.

jacob, keeping about three steps ahead of her, didn't answer for a while. he focused himself more on not running into the damn door. the "no proper lighting" situation was really an annoying one; to be fair, one to be short-lived.

"my guess," he said, brushing his hand against the doorknob, "the place had more rooms than they knew what to do with, and people just forgot about them. hid them."

kris could accept that. she heard the click of the door, and a few seconds passed before some lights were switched on. the door led into a room, maybe the size of the classroom she'd been introduced to louis in. aside from a few tables pushed together to make one and cabinets along the lower portion of the wall, the room was empty.

jacob closed the door behind them. he then proceeded to sit on the table, pull a laptop onto his lap- kris had somehow overlooked that- and opened it. kris stood there uncertainly. he glanced up, mumbled something that might've been a "sit down", and started to type again.

when she sat down next to him, jacob was already clicking through what looked like dozens upon dozens of files. after silently watching for a few seconds, jacob put the laptop, still open, to the side.

"how do you feel about having powers?" he asked.

kris frowned a little. the question seemed far out of left field. "um... alright, i guess?"

"does it ever bother you that people don't know?"

"i guess."

jacob moved himself so he was sitting cross-legged and facing kris. "think about it, though. we're got people with telekinesis, telepathy, hell, foresight even. and hardly anybody outside of a few knows about us. doesn't that seem unfair to both parties?"

"well... yeah." kris nodded, "if people just knew, we could do so much more."

their ideas of "more" were rather different, but the general mindset was there all the same.

jacob nodded as well. "exactly." he knew where her moral compass was pointed and used it to his advantage. "if we could use our powers publicly, there would be no reason for anyone to hide. there would be no reason to bury ourselves in here, to think it's okay to treat and think of ourselves as freaks. like, the gloves," he suggested, "have you used them a lot since you've been here?"

kris shrugged. "not consistently."

"exactly, there's no point to them. they're meant to suppress what we were born with, what we were meant to use. it's like teaching a child to read but letting them read only when they're alone. it's unjust."

telekinetically, he pulled the laptop back over. "this place used to have so many people coming in and out of it. it used to be easy for people like us. a whole lot easier than it is now."

slowly, kris met his gaze. "what's your point?"

"i want to change it." jacob said, "look at yourself, you're the most powerful person i've ever come across. everyone else needs to see that; they need to see what everyone is capable of."

"...why are you telling me? me specifically?" kris asked. an uneasy feeling had wrapped around her, making it hard to remain still.

"like i said, you're unrealistically powerful. everyone else helping me is the equivalent of edward scissor hands and a professional shadow puppeteer, if we're being honest here. you're the person who could make the biggest impact."

kris opened her mouth, then closed it not long after, hesitating.

"if you don't want to, you don't need to." jacob continued, "we need someone completely willing for what we have planned to have any sort of effectiveness."

they were both quiet. kris had long since picked up on the desperation behind his eyes. he specifically wanted- needed, even- her. she didn't quite know how to feel about that.

"i don't know." she said at last.

"do you want to think it out?"

"yeah."

jacob nodded. "just let me know as soon as you can, alright?"

kris also nodded, standing and beginning to walk towards the door out. she stopped when she heard jacob start to speak again.

"this is all strictly between us, alright? this room, my plan, everything."

after at least ten seconds, without turning around, kris nodded again and walked out without a word.

once the door shut with a click, jacob exhaled and looked down at the monitor. there would probably need to be some revising, he decided, especially if she was going to continue to be so unsure further into the plan.

he double-clicked the first document in the file; unleashing_pt1.odt

--

someone teach me how to make this story available to readers only because i'm fighting fire with goddamn fiRE

and bonus points 4 u if u recognize eli and joseph from an earlier chapter ;0

stats;

date- october 10th, 2014

words- 1,206

reads- 3,213

comments- 15

votes- 69

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 105 33
199 2 19
2.5K 9 39