Meant To Be

By Hash_Browniez

When Naina Mittal walks into the pristine Headquarters of The Maurya Group, one of the world's largest conglo... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
โ‡๏ธ SYNOPSIS โ‡๏ธ
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
๐Ÿ•ฏ๏ธ เคถเฅเคญ เคฆเฅ€เคชเคพเคตเคฒเฅ€ ๐Ÿ•ฏ๏ธ
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
In The Loving Memory
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29: Sneak Peak
Chapter 29
เคถเฅเคญ เคฆเฅ€เคชเคพเคตเคฒเฅ€
Chapter 30
Chapter 31: Sneak Peak
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Announcement
Chapter 34: Sneak Peak
เคถเฅเคญ เคฆเฅ€เคชเคพเคตเคฒเฅ€
Chapter 34: Sneak Peak 2
Chapter 34

Chapter 2

5.9K 273 107
By Hash_Browniez

Hiya *waves*

For non-indian readers

Papa - Dad
Mumma - Mom
Chacha/Chachu ji - Dad's younger brother
Chachi ji - Chacha/Chachu's wife.
Bachhe - Kid/Child
Dada ji - Paternal Grandfather
Dadu ji - Paternal Grandmother
Ji - Respectable word used while referring to one's elders
Rajma Chawal - A delicious Indian dish literally just rice and kidney beans
Bhajan - Hymns
Naagin - Popular Indian sitcom
___________________________________________

I finished my meetings, locked my office and made my way towards my Bentley. Our company was located in Sector 29, Gurugram but I lived in DLF City, phase 3. It was roughly a half an hour drive from here. I greeted my driver, Manohar uncle and asked about his daughter as I slid into the backseat.

"She just gave her 10th boards. We are waiting for the results," He said as he drove the car.

"What does she want to take in 11th?" I asked.

"Arts. She wants to be an IAS officer." He replied.

"She is very bright. I am sure she will go place," I smiled.

"Thank you madam ji, you and your father have done a lot for me and my family. This is all because of you," he said giving me a smile that brimmed with gratitude.

I just smiled and looked out of the window. Fifteen minutes into the ride, we were on the bridge when Maurya House came into the view. It was a humongously beautiful, sixty story, concentric giant of glass and concrete, circled by plush green grass and Bistamdu trees.

While we stayed undefeated in our home turf of metals among other industries, Maurya Group did not hesitate to go all out in any field they deemed worth their money. Veer Maurya was bold and daring which reflected in his business ventures. I briefly wondered if he too, like me sometimes, felt
burdened by the fact that millions depended on him for livelihood.

I checked in with the security gaurds at the gate of my society and gave them all a smile which they returned. Instructing Manohar uncle to be here tomorrow, I made my way into the building, greeting the familiar residents of DLF Crest tower along the way. I rode the elevator to 30th floor where I lived with my family in a three-storey penthouse.

I unlocked the door with my key only to hear my Suhasini Chachi, yelling from the kitchen at the top of her voice at Raina who stood in the doorway.

"I don't care even if you go an expedition to Everest. YOU BRING BACK THE BOTTLES, YOU TAKE FROM HOME."

"Fine," Raina said chugging down water from another bottle.

"And while you are at it, पानी की बोतलें भर के रख!!!" (Fill the godamned bottles) Chachi continued blasting every eardrum in her vicinity. However, her anger vanished as soon as she saw me, "Areyyy Naina, you are back, come on in, how was your day? Do you want some tea?"

"It was good Chachi, just give me half a cup," I said with a grateful smile. I walked into the living room where Rohan was sprawled on the sofa watching Netflix on his phone.

"Where is everyone?'' I asked putting my Lavie bag on the table just as my parents, Raghav and Megha Mittal, strolled in followed by my Chachu, Amish Mittal. I hugged them as all of us settled in the room. It was a tradition in my family to hug everybody present before leaving for somewhere or after coming back. Another one was that the entire family had to have dinner together if they were in the city.

"So, Aaryan is getting married," Chachu said. I nodded happily, taking the tea cup from Chachi, as she too sat beside Chachu.

"About time he got settled. Somebody needed to put a stop to that boy's 27 years of philandering ways. Anjali is a nice girl. They will be happy together," My mother said approvingly.

"Naina is 27 too, you know, I think it's time she gets hitched as well," Rohan teased.

"Yes, yes. Do you have a boy in mind?" Chachi asked eagerly.

"No, I thi-" I started but Raina cut me off.

"No, she is still too heartbroken over Ranveer marrying Deepika instead of her," Everybody laughed though I hit Raina on the head with a cushion and I was pretty sure I was making a couple of tomatoes jealous. I may or may not have had a teeny tiny crush on Ranveer Singh.

"Anyway, first you need to have a mind in order to have a boy in mind," Rohan piped in. He was another recipient of the cushion.

"It isn't like I don't want to go looking for a partner. I have gone out with men, dated great guys. I just didn't find anybody with that instant spark. And really, I just feel as if men in general, who are interested in me, do not want the long term relationship," I replied as I sipped tea.

"Not interested in you?" Raina said, outraged. "Literally half the men ogle you wherever you go. And kaka has already had what, two? three? proposals for your hand in marriage. All of them were rich, good looking guys from respectable families. All of them were smitten with you after the first date. It's those eyes, I tell you. You were the one who refused them," Raina said, finally taking a deep breath after that rant.

"Being rich and good looking isn't everything, you know," I muttered sullenly. It's true that all those guys were all that. But all of them lacked the compassion and zeal for life I look for in a guy. Not to mention they were chauvinistic pigs. Those meetings were not all good actually.

The first one thought feminism was just another fad of attention seeking women and how women are just supposed to stay at home and raise the family. Believe me, an hour with that guy was so ridiculous that if I were a bird, I would fly into a ceiling fan.

The second one was so self obsessed that if an asteroid were to strike earth and wipe out half of the humanity, he would be upset why the asteroid didn't hit him first. He was genuinely upset that I hadn't heard of him before the first meeting, like, dude, why would I know you? You are no Beyonce.

The third guy was actually a nice guy but our interests just didn't match and he only agreed to come because his parents wanted him to.

"Personally, I am more than glad that my baby girl isn't looking for a boy yet. Naina, bachhe, you can take as long as you want. This is a huge decision. If you already have a man in your life, or when you find someone who makes your heart skip a beat, you bring that boy home to meet us otherwise we can find you one, if you want us too. But, remember, in life whatever your decisions might be, all of us will always be there for you." Papa said with a gentle smile that brought tears to my eyes, mumma nodded too.

I got up from my seat on the couch, went over to him and gave him a tight hug. Papa chuckled and hugged me back. We talked a little more about Chachu's work that papa was helping with after retirement then mumma announced that it was time for dinner.

"Rohan, go set the plates," Chachu said.

"Which ones? Those steel ones in which us peasants eat or the expensive china that is being saved for the guests who never come," Rohan teased as everybody laughed but Chachu glared at him.

As everyone settled around the dining table, I saw Raina hungrily ogling her plate of Rajma chawal. I retracted my earlier statement. I want a guy to look at me like Raina looks at her food.

We said our prayers and started to eat.
"Oye Naina, Rohan, Aaryan, Anjali, her sister Sonali and I are going to the Adventure Island amusement park, this Sunday. Do you want to come?" Raina asked with a mouthful of food.

"Sure. It is Wednesday today, I have a meeting this friday in Meerut but I'll be back by Saturday evening." I replied. Papa and I talked about business while others made small talks. All of us then put our plates in the dishwasher and left to prepare for the next day. I went for a night walk in the society garden. I came back hugged everyone goodnight, went to my room and drifted off to sleep.

The next day, I woke upto my mother blasting her bhajans on full volume at six o'clock in the morning, like everyday. I went for my morning run, came back, freshened up and had breakfast with my family when I was informed that my parents would be leaving on friday to visit my maternal grandparents for a week in Punjab to fix some issue at their Plant.

Thursday went on as just another weekday. On Friday, I left for Meerut. The first deal was completed flawlessly but the second one had to be postponed to saturday evening as the sellers had their flights delayed due to turbulent weather.

Once in my hotel room, I rang up Raina to inform her about the change of plans. She picked up on third ring.

"Yes?" Raina muttered distractedly.

"Hello? Raina? My meeting got delayed. It's on Saturday now. I'll be late. So I'll meet you guys directly at the park. Alright?" I said. I could hear the T.V. running in the background.

"Hmmm."

"Raina, are you listening?" I asked.

"What? Yeah. You'll be late, right? Okay cool. Just be there at the the-OH MY GOD, VISHAKHA, ARE YOU STUPID? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Raina suddenly cried out making me jump.

"Gotta go, Naina. I'll call you later," She said and hung up the phone.

Vishakha? I looked at the clock in my room. It was 8:15. She must be watching Naagin. God! That girl is obsessed with that show. I shook my head and ordered dinner. I changed into comfortable clothes as i ate dinner and video called my parents. I talked a little to nana ji and nani ji before wishing them goodnight and falling into peaceful slumber.
___________________________________________

Here is the second chapter. Please ignore any grammatical mistakes as english is not my first language and the chapters have not been edited.

Veer and Naina will meet in the next chapter. Until then please

Vote
Comment
Share
Follow =)

Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 668 18
๐ˆ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ฆ๐š๐ค๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ฆ๐ข๐ง๐ž ๐ฌ๐ฐ๐ž๐ž๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐š๐ซ๐ญ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ง ๐ข๐Ÿ ๐ข ๐ก๐š๐ฏ๐ž ๐ญ๐จ ๐œ๐ซ๐จ๐ฌ๐ฌ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ ๐Ÿ๐ฎ๐œ๐ค๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฅ๐ข๐ฆ๐ข๐ญ. ___________...
1.7M 88.4K 65
[Completed] #1 in Romance (05-Jan-21) #1 in India (25-Apr-22) #5 in Humor (25-Mar-21) โFor the world, it was a love marriage. But for them it was ne...
140K 5K 8
"Do you think I will be pregnant ??" He looks at her with wide eyes. "Are you crazy??? Why the hell will you be pregnant??" He yelled. "Huh...!!" She...
3.5M 198K 77
Nobody ever loved him; she was the first who loved him. He did not have a family and then one day she entered into his life and became a world for h...