Oddly Similar (Complete)

By ReeSha101

#1 in General Fiction of Phoenix Awards #1 self-made #1 similar #9 corporate 6'1'', dimpled, tanned, corporat... More

Oddly Similar - Author's Note
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter - XI
Chapter - XII
Chapter - XIII
Chapter - XIV
Chapter - XV
Chapter - XVI
Chapter - XVII
Chapter - XVIII
Chapter - XIX
Chapter - XX
Chapter-XXII
Chapter-XXIII
Chapter- XXIV
Chapter- XXV
Chapter- XXVI
Chapter- XXVII
Chapter- XXVIII
Chapter- XXIX
Chapter - XXX
Chapter - XXXI
Chapter- XXXII
Chapter - XXXIII
Chapter- XXXIV
Chapter - XXXV
Chapter - XXXVI
Chapter - XXXVII
Chapter- XXXVIII
Chapter - XXXIX

Chapter - XXI

23 8 1
By ReeSha101

Note:-

Writing this chapter was difficult considering it would define the dynamics of Matt and Rose's future. I know it's incredibly late but I didn't want to wrong it in my haste to put something out.

Mrs. Washington and Mr. Kurt were out near the gate to the orchard to see Rose off. She walked up to them embracing each in a hug where it seemed she was thanking them for being there for her. The smiles she got in return reciprocated what she felt.

Matt and Robert by this time had moved and stood by Rose's car. Sonya had a granite-like look on her face when she reached the car followed by Rose.

"Matt, I really don't need you to abandon your work and be my security guard. I already have a team in place," Rose said trying hard visibly to be polite.

Opening the passenger door of Rose's car, Matt took out the bouquet thrusting it between them spoke with steel - like edge to his voice, "This tells me otherwise, Rose."

The anger with which he shook the bouquet compelling petals to fall off made Rose take a step back in fear. She could see his wrath so close to the surface and him trying to restrain it in her presence.

"This could've been anything. It managed to get so close to you. And you call this your security?!", thrusting and pointing the bouquet towards Sonya who now looked at him with barely hidden hatred.

Grabbing the bouquet from Matt's hand, Rose spoke with surprising calm, "How could your presence have prevented this from happening?"

Matt was stunned when Rose took the bouquet from his hand.

"I certainly wouldn't have been traipsing you around town without any security detail when there's a sadist stalking you," Matt seethed grabbing the bouquet off Rose's hands compelling more petals to fall off around them.

Pursing her lips into a thin line she took the bouquet back into her hands cradling it as if it were from a beloved which made Matt see red.

"I love pink roses. Besides it's not their fault a sadist picked them up," Rose spoke with such finality looking away from Matt that made him think if she meant something else.

Rose holding the bouquet close to her heart sat behind Sonya who took the wheels. Robert slid next to Sonya and Matt sat beside Rose keeping quite some space between them.

They both needed to cool off and they both knew it.

Matt's car and Rose's additional security called by Sonya followed and preceded their car to avoid any similar bouquet incident.

No one spoke till they reached dad's place.

Rose was shocked at the sight which awaited them. A flower delivery truck was waiting for them. Delivery guy walking up to her, asked if she was Miss Rose. She nodded with a guarded expression.

As soon as she signed for the delivery another guy from the truck started bringing out vases of the most vivid pink roses she'd ever set her eyes on.

The sight made her gulp in fear.

Matt stood behind her with hands in his pocket looking at the whole spectacle without an emotion on his face.

She looked at him almost expecting him to start throwing the vases on the ground and stomping on them. Since he stood as a mute spectator, she stopped the guy bringing in the 7th vase asking him who'd ordered for these.

Fishing out his handheld device he read a Mr. Flinthart did.

Rose's eyes flew to Matt who stood still as a statue awaiting her response.
When she walked up to him, he spoke with the barest of voices, "Am sorry for treating the roses like I did. It sure wasn't their fault someone unworthy picked them."

"But I don't wish to bear the guilt if something happened to you which I could've prevented. Allow the security detail atleast until this mess is sorted," Matt said with a plea in his eyes which almost melted Rose's heart.

Nodding a silent yes which softened Matt's eyes, Rose asked if he'd like some coffee.

"Much as I'd like to sit and have coffee with you I know you need some serious rest. Can we defer the plan till tomorrow evening? Say 6.00pm?" Matt asked with the most sincerest of expressions.

Rose smiled and nodded a yes before going into the house. Matt waited till she closed the door behind her. Turning to Robert he said, "Follow her like a shadow. I want to know everything possible about Pete from here."

Robert said, "She won't trust us to reveal anything."

"I don't expect her or anyone attached to this household to. But I am sure we'll find more here than anywhere else. They're hiding something and I want to know about it before it affects our plans with Regalia. We need to keep her safe and that won't happen unless this mess is cleared."

With that Matt slid to the driver seat of his car and drove away giving Robert a curt nod.

The vases were moved to Rose's room and they covered every available surface making the room heady with fragrance. Rose looked around still clutching the bouquet she was holding then reluctantly placing roses from it into the vases before her.

Dad was standing outside her room peering in with hands in his pocket and an expression full of questions.

She followed him downstairs where thankfully there was tea awaiting them. Recounting the day she stopped when his expression turned gravely thoughtful.

"They shouldn't get to know anything about the past," dad said at which she nodded solemnly. "I need to talk to your brother about everything."

Rose agreed and went upstairs to change and catch up on the sleep lost this past week. Parting the curtains she could see Robert standing across the road looking at Rose's window. She abruptly closed the curtains, a sense of foreboding exhausting her further.

Taking a deep breath she tried to still her mind, willing it to sleep.

Since she was catching up on lost sleep, everyone made sure not to wake her up even for dinner. Her sleep broke around 2 in the morning.

Waddling in her fluffy slippers and mauve satin nightgown Rose made her way down to the kitchen yawning and rubbing her eyes. The sight which met her eyes when she reached the fridge made her breath hitch.

In ripped jeans shirtless holding a pink rose Matt stood in the moonlight trickling from the kitchen windows. Muscles earned from hard labour defined his biceps and torso. Fine line of hair arrowed down to the button which held all modesty. Matt's eyes grazed Rose's body from her toes to her head.

Rose shuddered at that stretching her right hand towards the kitchen counter to pace herself which caused cutlery to clatter and break the hold Matt had on Rose.

Straightening the cutlery Rose turned to find the kitchen empty. She walked the whole length including checking the corners as if to find Matt hiding away ready to jump out and scare her as if they were kids.

"Now he's coming out of your dreams as full-fledged illusions," Rose muttered to herself pulling out a tray of lasagna and meatballs, scooping a big serving to heat setting up the heated plate on the kitchen counter.

She didn't recall having her phone in her nightgown pocket but it buzzed by the time she was halfway through the lasagna of her plate.

The message from Matt read:

Am glad you rested properly.

The message made her eyes pop up. Rubbing them almost furiously she read the message again to check the time-stamp.

It was 2.15am indeed.

Rose wrote a reply before she could comprehend an answer:

I wish your security detail were put to better use.

He answered with a broad smiley.

Matt: Sorry to interrupt your late late dinner. But it co-incides with my midnight snack time.

Rose: I was starting to wonder why you were still up cz keeping track of my sleep pattern is coming across as super creepy.

Matt: Consecutive updates from my Asia-pacific team wraps up around this time usually.

I thought of checking up on you. My security detail is under strict instructions to not disturb or invade your privacy.

Thomas had been gracious to invite Robert for dinner. Since you weren't there he updated you are still asleep.

Rose: And how did you know I was up?

Matt: Robert noticed movement in your room and the kitchen. Since he knows am up he briefed me about it.

Rose: That's still creepy.

Matt: If you hadn't answered my ping he'd have checked up on you by 2.16.

Rose: Creepier!! And I can't differentiate who the stalker is.

Matt: My dad says,"To beat them you oughta think like them."

Letting loose a breath Rose didn't know she was holding she touched the cold phone to her forehead tapping in some unknown strength for which she'd been almost begging since her paths crossed with Matt.

When Rose didn't reply to that. Matt texted,

You should get back to your rest while I make preparations for tomorrow.

Rose: It's just coffee at my place.

Matt: Allow me to give you a coffee treat for a change. Consider it in return for the fruit basket from your orchard.

Rose: That was the least I could do in return of your over-protectiveness.

Matt: My concern is not exaggerated and you know that better than I do. Can we please not debate over this?

Rose: What would you like to debate about?

Matt: What wouldn't I give to debate with you, Rose, about everything?!

This text from Matt made her blush wildly and struggle through the haze for a response.

Rose: I didn't know I was such a polemic.

Matt: There you go using your super-sexy vocab with me.

Rose: You find that super-sexy?!

Matt: I find everything about you super-sexy.

Rose: Am sure that flirting with a potential collaborator counts as sexual harassment.

Rose's face hurt what with all the grinning like an idiot.

Matt: There's no question of potentially collaborating, we are definitely collaborating. Warnings of sexual harassment charges do assert propriety so I'll let you get back to your dinner and sleep. Pick you up at 5.00pm tomorrow?

Rose: I'll hold you to it. Goodnight Matt.

Matt: Goodnight Rose.

XOXOXO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

443K 16.1K 21
Austin Silver is an underworld crime boss with a secret past who is laying low in Prison. With a secret prison phone and a wrong number, the last thi...
695K 17.6K 40
Ally Carson has it all; a loving family, supportive boyfriend, and an impressive degree in the industry of her dreams. But when she uproots her perfe...
3.8K 534 30
Embark on a captivating journey with Briana Rivera and Ashton Adams, where shadows of the past echo through their present lives, reminding them of se...
973K 32.3K 25
COMPLETED Cole Haynes is one of the most successful businessman in L.A. His job is very important to him and he tries really hard to separate busines...