Who's Your Boss? (Original Ve...

By CrystalW99

Working for Reed Drummond, as his personal assistant, is no walk in the park for Winifred Monroe. The man is... More

Copyright
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue
Available in eBook & paperback

Chapter 9

190K 4.6K 379
By CrystalW99

Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it. Hope you enjoy the new chapter. :)

(Winnie)

I glanced up from the menu I held in my hands and gazed at Reed. He was staring at his own menu and scratching his stubbled jaw. I took the opportunity and studied him. His suit coat and tie were gone. The first two buttons on his dress shirt was undone and his sleeves were rolled up to his elbows. His hair looked as though he had run a hand through it. He oozed masculinity and dare I say sex appeal.

"Do you like what you see, Ms. Monroe?" he asked with what sounded like amusement.

I should've been embarrassed that I got caught gawking at him, but I wasn't. He had done his share of staring in the past. Smirking, I replied, "Nope. I find you rather hideous."

"Really?" He grinned at me over the top of his menu. "I've never had a complaint from the ladies before."

"There's always a first time for everything." I put down the menu and took off my reading glasses. Putting them back in their case, I slipped the case into my purse and returned my attention to Reed. "All joking aside I've always thought you were a handsome man. I just don't-"

"Are we ready to order?" the server asked, pausing by our table.

"I believe so," I said. "I'll have the beef stew."

"Alright." She wrote the order on her pad, took the menu from me, and turned to Reed. "And you, sir?"

"I'll have the same," he told her.

"Okay." She added his order to the pad and picked up his menu. "I'll be back shortly with your food. If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask." She hurried off to place the orders with the chef.

"Before we were interrupted you were telling me that I was handsome." Reed reached for his bottle of beer. "Please, continue."

I rolled my eyes. "I think I've said enough. I don't want you getting a big head and thinking you're all that."

"Never. " He took a drink of beer and set the bottle down. "Talk to me, Winnie. Tell me about yourself. It can be anything."

"Anything." I fiddled with my napkin while I thought back over my life. "I grew up on a ranch in Wyoming. My dad, who was the foreman, taught me and my sister how to ride a horse." A smile came to my lips as I remembered my childhood. "The first time I got on a horse it became spooked and threw me. I landed wrong on my left leg and broke it."

"You see," Reed said. "That's why you'll never get me on a horse. It's too dangerous."

I snorted. "Life is dangerous. You take a risk every time you leave your house."

"True." He sat back against the cushioned booth. "I envy you, Winnie. You grew up surrounded by open fields and clean air. For me it was buildings and air that was anything but clean. You mentioned your dad was a foreman. What did your mom do?"

"I don't know." I swallowed past the lump that had quickly formed. "I never knew her. Not long after I was born she ran away with a ranch hand." I smiled weakly. "Before you go saying you're sorry let me tell you that I had a mother. The ranch owner's wife was a lovely, kindhearted woman. She took to raising me and my sister along with her own children."

"I'm glad you had someone," he muttered. "I understand now why you and Jack bonded so quickly. You both had something in common. Your mother's abandoned you when you were just infants."

"I can't imagine what Carter went through when Jack's mother up and left."

"It was a difficult time for him, but he stayed strong." Reed shrugged. "He had to. Jack needed him." He cleared his throat. "Is your family still in Wyoming?"

"Yes." I grabbed my bottle and took a drink of beer. "Dad still works and lives on the ranch. My sister, Cassie, is married and has three boys. She and her husband own their own ranch. I need to get up there sometime for a visit. It's been a little over a year since I last saw them. We keep in touch and she sends pictures, but it's not the same as actually being there."

"Do you have any pictures with you?" he asked.

"Of course, I do." I removed my wallet from my purse, opened it, and took out several small pictures, handing them to him. As he glanced at them, he showed them to me and I identified the person or people for him. Seeing pictures of my family and the ranch made me homesick.

"You have a beautiful family, Winnie." Reed handed me back the photos. "When you want to go and see them just let me know. A weeks notice so that I can find someone to take your place would be fine. I'll even let you borrow the jet."

"Thank you." I beamed at him. "I'll keep that in mind."

Just then, the server arrived with our food. She placed a steaming bowl of stew in front of me and one in front of Reed. After telling us to enjoy she moved to another table to take a couples order. I picked up a spoon, dipped it into the stew, and took a bite.

"How is it?" Reed queried while he stirred his stew.

I gave him a thumbs up.

Though I told Reed it wasn't necessary, he insisted on walking me to my door. According to him, it was bad manners not to see a lady to her door. It was sweet in an old-fashioned kind of way. We paused beneath the lit porch light and I turned to face him. I leaned my head back and gazed up at him. In a soft voice, I thanked him for dinner.

"You're welcome." He stuck his hands in his pockets and rocked back on his heels. "Thank you for the company."

"You're welcome." I cleared my throat. "I had a nice time."

"So did I." Reed dipped his head slightly and uttered in a quiet voice, "We'll have to do it again."

"I'd like that." I took a deep breath and caught a whiff of his cologne. It was a nice scent. Not too strong like some of the other colognes I've come across. I took another deep breath and moved a little bit closer. When I felt his body heat, I realized it was too close and took a few steps back.

"Winnie," he murmured. "This morning you asked me why I wasn't married with a house full of children. I must admit I've often wondered the same about you. You are a beautiful, vivacious, smart, kindhearted woman. I find it surprising that you're still single."

"I - I'm afraid of marriage." I bowed my head, hiding my face from his penetrating gaze. "What if I'm not any good at it? What if deep down I'm like my mother and I end up leaving my family?"

"No." Reed grasped my chin gently in his hand and raised my head. He looked into my eyes. "You are not your mother, Winnie. I would bet my life on that. Don't let what she did to you keep you from finding happiness. You deserve to love and be loved in return."

I watched as his eyes came to rest on my mouth. Suddenly the air between us came alive with electricity. My heart skipped a beat and my breath caught in my throat. Was he going to kiss me? Did I even want him to? I searched my heart and found that yes I wanted him to kiss me. The revelation shocked me.

Slowly Reed lowered his head. As his mouth settled on mine my eyes drifted shut. I parted my lips and he slipped his tongue inside. I was unprepared for how sweet, how tender the kiss was. Moaning, I tilted my head and deepened the kiss, my arms going up to encircle his neck. I pressed my body against his and heard a groan escape him.

We ended the kiss, a minute later, and stared at each other. The realization of what we had just done hit me like a ton of bricks. Carefully I unwound my arms from around his neck. I tried to say something and found that my voice wouldn't cooperate with me.

"You're already regretting it, aren't you?" he croaked.

"N-no," I stuttered. "I just - I'm just speechless."

"So you're telling me all I had to do to get you to shut up was kiss you." Reed sighed and shook his head. "I wish I had known that a long time ago. It would've come in handy all those times you were yapping my head off."

I punched him lightly on the arm.

"I was just kidding. " He caressed my cheek with the back of his hand. "I hope you won't come to regret our kiss, Winnie, because I know I won't."

"I won't either, but-" I hesitated for a moment. "Where do we go from here? Do we put it behind us and move on as though it never happened? I - I don't know what to think or how to feel. I'm confused."

"Let me tell you how I feel." Reed laid his hands on my shoulders. "I'm attracted to you. I think after the kiss we just shared it's obvious. What I need to know is are you attracted to me?"

"I think so," I whispered. "I mean I don't think I would've kissed you if I wasn't."

"Then here's my proposal," he said. "We take it one day at a time. Keep things nice and slow and see where this attraction leads us . . . see if something more meaningful can develop between us. No pressure and no strings attached. If it doesn't work then at least we could say we tried."

"I need time to think," I told him. "I can't make any decisions right now."

"I understand," he assured me. "Take all the time you need."

I nodded. "Good night then."

"Good night, Winnie." Reed gave me a peck on the cheek, turned, and headed toward the mansion. My heart in my throat I watched him go.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 3.5K 44
Carlisle Reed is a millionaire boss of a computer tech company, started by family, passed down to him. On a day off he meets Sophie Green, he is inst...
430K 12.6K 40
His words had me heated. As he spoke he made it sexy, and it turned me on. He was right about the pull towards us. The sex between us worked...and it...
5.1M 161K 49
"C- Can you move b- back a little?" My words made him smirk and if it's even possible, he came closer. Why do I always have to stuck between him and...
3.5M 91.2K 54
Julia Goldstone is a girl from a small town where nothing ever happens. She has no family and an abusive boyfriend who she can't escape. Reed Eastwoo...