Always | ✓

By AlwaysLostInWords

#1 in Teen Fiction - 26.03.2020 #10 in Romance - 04.10.2020 #1 in Unrequited - 21.02.2020 #1 in LoveTriangle... More

1. The First Meeting
2. My Life
3. Enter Julie
4. Liam and Calc
5. Seeing Her
6. Cafeteria Hell
7. My House
8. You and I
9. Echo
10. Apology
11. Okay
12. Perfect
13. Liam, Julie and Calc
14. Cafeteria Friendliness
15. Invited
16. Party at Holden's (I)
17. Party at Holden's (II)
18. Act Natural
19. Aftermath
20. Saturdays
22. Six Words
23. Hold On
24. Soup
25. Unexpected
26. Saviour
27. Learning to Dance
28. Shopping
29. The Ball
30. Charmed
31. Change
32. Shot
33. Hospital
34. Recovery
35. For Him
36. Memorable Day
37. A Day
38. Decisions
39. Pause
40. A Letter
41. Bent Arrows
Epilogue - Always

21. First Date

21.1K 698 194
By AlwaysLostInWords

Liam

Today's the day!

I'm finally going my day with Julie today and although I'm incredibly nervous, I'm equally excited.

I probably would've been a lot more nervous, had I not seen Rena earlier.

Somehow, whenever I talk to her I always feel so much more calmer. Even if she's just telling me to shut up or breathe, she just knows how to make me feel better.

In all honesty, I don't know even know what the fuck happened to me. I've really never been nervous when it comes to girls, but this time it's different.

I mean I've never really liked anyone this much before I think. With Julie, I'm so nervous about messing things up. She's a really sweet girl, I just don't want to do anything to spook her.

A short drive later, I reached Julie's house and parked my car on the driveway.

As soon as I turned the engine off, I took a deep breath.

I honestly don't know how I sometimes need someone to remind me to do what is necessary for living, just to breathe, but it's just those moments when things get so overwhelming and you need that person just to put things in perspective. Thankful, I have Rena for that.

A few more deep breaths, and I got out my car and walked up to Julie's door, waiting for her to answer once I rang the doorbell.

There is a part of me of that is a little worried that Julie will open the door, but only to tell me that she's changed her mind.

I think she sort of likes me enough to give me a chance and go with me on this date, but she is shy, and might have some reservations. I'm hoping that won't be the case.

Finally, I heard the door lock clicking open.

The door fully opened up and Julie was in front of me. I breathed in relief seeing her smile, i hope it meant that she wasn't going to cancel and we were going to have our date.

"Hi," she then greeted me shyly. 

She honestly looks so beautiful. It's just jeans, a top and a cardigan, but she makes it work.

Even if she were to be dressed in loungewear, her hair in a mess or mismatched, I don't think it'll make a difference in how I see her. One of the best traits about Julie, except from from her charming self, her smile and politeness, and other sweet qualities, it's her eyes.

I'll never stop being mesmerised by those green eyes of her.

Then I saw her slightly frown and I realised I haven't even said anything, I've just been looking at her.

"Hi, Julie." I greeted her with smile. "This is for you," I say, handing her my little gift.

My Dad told me that it was always a smart move to take something for the girl, when you go to pick her up for a date.

So, with that in mind, I thought it would be fun to bring Julie some chocolate. A little different to the traditional flowers.

"A Kit Kat?" Julie questioned, her eyebrows raised slightly, but she was still smiling.

"Well, I thought I should bring you something, because it's nice. But then  I didn't know if you were allergic to flowers," I told her a little sheepishly, scratching the back of my head.

I don't really know anyone allergic to flowers, but I didn't want to take the chance. Plus I had seen Julie eat Kit Kat's during lunch, so it was a safe bet.

Julie then grinned at me. "I love Kit Kat's. Thank you."

I smiled that I managed to make her smile. I just hoped that I could keep her smiling for the rest of the date.

"Are you ready to go?" I asked her.

Julie nodded. "Just one second. I need to tell my Mum I'm leaving."

"Of course," I said.

She quickly ran back in, but left the door open. I wasn't sure if I was mean to stay outside or come in, but since I wasn't really invited, I thought it was better to wait at the doorstep.

I didn't have to wait long, since Julie quickly ran back and I smiled at her. At least she seemed excited, which was a good sign.

"Ready," she smiled.

Together we then walked to my car and I stopped forward to open the door for her.

As soon as she sat down and buckled herself in, she turned towards me.

"Where are we going?" Julie asked me.

"It's a surprise but I'm hoping you'll like it," I told her.

She gave me a polite smile. "I'm sure I will," Julie said.

Hopefully, I won't disappoint.

***

The drive wasn't all too long, but I think my favourite part about it was listening to Julie hum to some of the songs.

I thought it was be best to turn up the radio a little, just so there wasn't any awkward silence, and that ended up leading to Julie humming and telling me about her favourite songs and artists.

We didn't really listen to the same sort of stuff but it was okay, I liked to hear her hum to the songs.

Finally, we reached our destination.

"The arcade?" Julie turned towards me as soon as she saw the sign outside the place.

I listened to what Rena had said and chose an arcade, but that wasn't the only reason. This was a special place to me.

"This is the very best arcade in our town. I used to come here a lot as a kid," I told her.

My Dad used to bring me here a lot when we were younger. It was always fun and we'd get so competitive with each other.

When I looked towards Julie, I couldn't tell if she was pleasantly surprised or hated this.

"We used to have an arcade where I lived as well. I had so much fun there," she then told me, with the biggest grin across her face.

Honestly, that was the biggest relief.

"Come on. Let's go in," I gestured for us to walk in.

As soon as we both entered the arcade, straight away the sound of arcade games hit our ears. A combination of winning and losing, cheering and groaning echoed through the room.

"Oh wow. This place is really cool," I heard Julie say, seemingly awestruck, whilst she looked around the arcade, causing me to chuckle.

"I'm glad you like it," I respond.

Before I could say anything else, Julie then held onto my arm. "Pac-Man," she squealed and then began to tug me in the direction one the machine.

I don't know if she did that on purpose, but it made me smile.

This has already started out to be a great date.

***

"What's next?" I asked Julie.

We were having so much fun, it didn't feel like a first date at all. All the nervousness and the anxiety has faded away as we played the games.

So far we've won a lot of tickets. I seriously had no idea that 'Quiet Julie', wasn't so quiet when it came to competitive gaming.

"Air Hockey," Julie answered. "I used play this with my Grandpa. He used to take me to the arcade after school every Friday," she told me.

It was an odd one, but the thought about a little Julie playing air hockey with her Grandpa, made me smile. It was quite sweet.

"Ah so, you wouldn't mind some friendly competition now, would you?" I asked her.

"Friendly? Oh no, I'm so going to beat you and win," she said.

"Oh, really? If you're so confident let's have a bet?" I told her.

She frowned a little and tilted her head ever so slightly. "A bet?" She questioned.

"If I win, I get something from you, and if you win, you get something," I said.

The frown on her face remained on her face and began to purse her lips.

"Like what?" She asked.

I gave her a friendly smile. "It can be anything." I then thought it'd be funny to tease her a little. "Unless you're scared of course."

Julie then cleared her throat and rolled her eyes. "Pssh scared," she shrugged off the words. "Of course not," she said.

"Fine then. Let's have the bet," I said and reached out my hand.

"It's a bet!" She said and shook my hand.

This is going to be fun.

***

"It's alright. Maybe next time," I told Julie.

After we bet on it, we played air hockey, best out of three as well, and I ended up winning all of those times. Julie wasn't really taking it too well.

"I'm not upset," she huffed, crossing her arms across her chest.

"But you are a sore loser," I told her.

"No, I'm not," she denied it.

I smiled. "Oh, so since I won, you won't say no to what I want right? Because you're not a sore loser?"

In all honesty, I'm actually really good at air hockey. It has always been one of my favourite games to play when I used to come here with my Dad. But of course, Julie didn't need to know that.

"What do you want?" She asked me.

"I would like a second date with you," I told her.

It was probably really cheesy, but that's all I kind of wanted right now. Just to have another day like this.

Her eyes widened, in surprise maybe?

"I, uh-really?" She asked, stuttering slightly.

"Well, truthfully I want more dates than that, but I'll settle for just getting a second one," I smiled at her.

Julie then nodded, a slight blush coming over her cheeks.

"I'd like that," she said.

We played another friendly game of air hockey, and after that, I gave Julie all of my tickets. She had her heart set on this giant teddy, with a red heart sewn on it's chest. Since she really wanted it, I thought it was only fair to just help her get it.

We then came to Mama Macy's to have some milkshakes.

"Here are you are, Liam," Mama handed me the milkshakes by the counter.

"Thank you," I smiled.

"Who is the girl you are with?" She then asked and looked towards table Julie was sat at.

I smiled. "That's my date. Her name is Julie," I told her.

Mama nodded slowly, with this weird all-knowing look on her face.

"Alright," she said and then walked away.

Well, that was weird.

I then walked back to table, where Julie was sat at, and I handed her the milkshake.

"Thank you for this. I really didn't know what to order," Julie told me.

She looked so confused when she looked at the sign with all the different options.

"That's alright. I've been coming here for years," I said.

"Really for years?" She asked.

"Yeah. Rena and I came here for everything, when we were younger. If it was a celebration or a sad moment, we came here for milkshakes and cupcakes. You should see Rena with red velvet cupcakes, she'd never share them. Even Mama Macy knew us by name when we came here for the third time. It just became an everyday spot. They were probably the best days of my childhood," I rambled on.

Julie smiled at me, thankfully not weirded out by my ranting.

"You guys seem close," she commented.

I smiled. "We were, until through thought of my own, we weren't."

"What happened?" Julie asked.

Letting out a sigh, I swirled the milkshake around in the cup with my straw.

"The short version is, I was a moron. The long version, I began to chase after something that wasn't real. I stopped chasing a long time ago, but I didn't have the courage to tell her, to apologise. Even when I did, it properly wasn't the best timing and I was selfish. But, I want to change it. Someday, I'm going to do something that will really put a smile on her face," I said.

Julie smiled. "You're a good person."

I'm not entirely sure why she thought that or how she saw that. I liked to think I was a good person, but made some dumb choices.

"Thank you for that," I said.

"Thank you for a lovely date," Julie replied, holding up her milkshake for me to cheers.

I chuckled a little. "You're welcome."

This really had been lovely.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 534 36
[Genre: Romance, Drama, unrequited Love] Diana's best friend, her unrequited crush, is getting married soon. As she's heartbroken watching the new co...
180 59 46
*First in the Fire Whiskey series* 'What if I was making the wrong choice again, picking the bad guy over the steady and reliable one? Because as I...
1.7K 97 44
"So what did you think of the assignment?" He persisted in getting an answer but Bailey had another conversation already in mind. "I noticed you loo...
1.8K 399 24
Sometimes love doesn't come when we expect them to, and sometimes it does come when we expect them. Marks life suddenly became difficult and miserabl...