Melting Gray [Gratsu]

By hanlovespasta

Senior year can mean lots of things for people. For Natsu, it simply means turning over a new leaf - not lett... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
art instagram!

7

9.2K 420 517
By hanlovespasta

Chapter Seven

Natsu Dragneel

I don't know about you, but when my day suddenly turns around for the better, the school day passes by in a blur. I could hardly remember what I did in each of my classes, because my mind kept tracing back to Gray's invitation.

So, by the time lunch rolled around, you could say I was somewhat giddy to see him again. I honestly didn't understand why I felt the need to be around him. I'm pretty lucky we've become friends so quickly. These past few weeks have been a lot more interesting with Gray- weekend strolls on the beach, doing homework together, chatting during lunch (mostly me talking, but he listens), and my favorite.

I'll pass Gray in the hallway, and I'll tap his shoulder two times with my first three fingers. Gray and I had previously made that code up so he would know it's me and not some mugger. Anyway, I'll tap him, and he denies it, but his face breaks out into a wide smile each and every time.

That stupidly contagious smile that makes you smile as well.

I entered the cafeteria, already spotting Gray in our usual booth. I smiled and crossed the room to go sit down. I tapped his shoulder twice and slid into the booth across from him.

"Where's your lunch?" I asked, opening my lunch box. I took out a roast beef, tomato, and lettuce sandwich and took a large bite.

Gray shrugged emotionlessly. "I'm not hungry."

I frowned mid-chew, and pushed my bag of chips towards him. "At least eat these chips," I persuaded, crinkling the bag for him to hear.

"Don't wanna," He shook his head.

"I don't get you," I rolled my eyes. "You're super hard to figure out."

"That's because I'm the mysterious new

guy," Gray teased with a smirk. "No one can even approach me without being intimidated."

"Right. You totally make me shake in my converse," I chuckled, taking another bite of my sandwich. "Ooh, scary."

Gray stuck out his tongue, annoyed that I stumped him, and turned his head away from me. "Whatever. You still have my jacket?"

I clenched the sides of his jacket (which, and I proudly admit, I've worn all morning) and wrapped it around me tighter. "Yes. And I'm not giving it back."

Gray gave me an obnoxious look. "You like it that much?"

It reminds me of you, I thought.

I pouted, sticking my lower lip out childishly. "Yeah," I admitted. Gray shut up after that, deciding to busy himself by opening the bag of chips.

The awkward pause doesn't last long, because next thing you know, Lucy comes by our table and stands there hesitantly, shooting side glances at Gray.

"Hey, Natsu! Hi, Gray. Do you guys mind if I eat with ya?" Lucy shook her lunchbox and smiled charmingly.

"Fine my me," I nodded, patting the seat next to me. "Gray?"

"Sure," He grunted. "Who are you?"

"It's L-Lucy," Lucy answered, not even getting the slightest bit impatient, but sounding skittish all the same. "I'm N-Natsu's friend." I heard her voice began to shake as she slid into the seat.

"I know," Gray stuffed a chip in his mouth. Frustrated at his blunt and rudeness, I kicked his shin. "Ow, who did that?"

"I did," I hissed. "Be nicer."

Gray clicked his tongue in annoyance and sighed an impatient breath. "Yeah, I know who you are, Lucy. Natsu talks about you all the damn time. It's like you guys are dating or something."

Lucy and I shared a look for a second before failing at suppressing our loud, mocking laughter. I nearly fell over in hysteria. Lucy wiped a tear out of her eyes. "Oh, that's classic."

"As if I'd date anyone even remotely like you," I teased through my laughter, poking her rib. Lucy stuck her tongue out and poked me back.

"I'm about as far away from your type as possible!" Lucy agreed, giggling. "Plus, I have a boyfriend already."

"Do you have a girlfriend, Natsu?" Gray asked curiously, lips pressed in a firm line.

I felt my hands grow clammy in a split second as I tried to stop my knees from shaking. "Er...n-no," I answered, avoiding his gaze. Even though his eyes were coveted with shades, it was still highly intimidating. It made you want to spill all your secrets in fear of being hurt. That kind of stare-down.

"Mm," Gray responded, nodding slightly. "Are you lying to me?"

"No!" I defended, taken aback. "I honestly don't. I haven't dated since Grade 9."

"And how'd that work out for ya?" Gray continued, resting his chin in his hands.

I can hear the loud downpour of rain as it hit the windshield like bullets. I feel myself losing control and jolted around.

Her scream of pain nearly deafened me.

"Natsu... You don't have to-" Lucy whispered, putting a tender hand on my shoulder. Gray raised an eyebrow and looked concerned and regretful.

I took in a shaky breath before putting on a fake smile. "She was amazing. I cherished every minute I had with her."

Gray looked down at his lap, frowning. "Uh, I'm gonna go," He announced quietly, slinging his messenger bag over his shoulder and crumpling the bag of chips in his fist. "Gotta get to class early. Teacher needs to see me."

Gray clicked away, shoulders hunched slightly. I watched as he attempted to avoid anyone who was standing up, and somehow, he didn't bump into anything. It really was impressive-

"Natsu, snap out of it, or you'll get caught staring," Lucy shook my shoulder.

"Didn't you find that a little weird?" I asked quietly, still staring at the cafeteria door. Lucy shrugged a shoulder half-heartedly.

"He had a class to get to. No big deal," Lucy replied.

"It's just... He has study hall next period. What would a study hall teacher need to explain to a student? There isn't any assigned work or anything."

Lucy rolled her eyes. "You're thinking to much into everything, again. It's pretty cute," She laughed. I scowled and elbowed her in the side.

"Don't call me cute," I whined.

"Cute."

I wrapped the jacket around me a little tighter, taking a subtle whiff of the scent. It smelled like Gray, one of those unique, untraceable scents people have.

"New jacket?" Lucy commented, nodding to my newest article of clothing.

"You could say that," I smiled to myself. "Well, see ya in math," I waved, picking up my lunch trash just as the bell rang. Silently, I threw my trash away, went to grab my things, and left the cafeteria.

Little did I know, from behind me, Lucy had a sly, devious smirk on her face. She had seen Gray wearing that same jacket when he was dropped off the bus that morning. She just never bothered to mention this observation to us today. The gears in her mind were whirring now, which was never a good thing... who knows what she could be planning.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Random homework check, everyone!" Mr. Clive announced, clapping his hands together.

Someone in our array of beanbags groaned, and I rolled my eyes. 'Random homework checks' were basically every day, yet he still pretended they were a surprise.

I took out my binder and retrieved the worksheet we had last night (yes, the one from the previous chapter. I finished it after I went to go find Lucy again) and set it on top of my lap. Binder clicks were bouncing off the walls left and right, filling the room with silent noise. I looked to my left. Gray also had the worksheet completed, which made me wonder how he did it.

"So, how do you do worksheets like these?" I asked curiously, tapping his shoulder. Gray put his binder away into his backpack.

"I have a home tutor who comes for an hour or two each night to help me read the problems out, and I take all my notes on this," Gray pulled out a device that looked like a tablet with a Braille keyboard on it. "It reads out the words aloud and I can voice command it to pull up a certain section of the book. It also takes high-quality recordings if I need it," He handed me the book to look at.

I grazed the keys under my fingers, turning it every which way to inspect it. I gave it back after a few seconds. "Cool. Sounds expensive."

"Sort of. But they last really long," Gray shrugged, turning back to face the general direction Mr. Clive was. I shook my head in awe at just how smart Gray was. He wasn't even talking, yet Gray knew. Maybe he heard his footsteps or something?

But over me talking? I thought. That really is amazing. It seriously was inspiring and mystifying. He seriously was inspiring and mystifying.

Why was I thinking like this?

I shook my head to clear my thoughts and gave Mr. Clive a small smile when he got to me. "Nice work as always, Mr. Dragneel, minus the sloppiness," He nodded formally. I whispered a thank you as he moved on to Gray. Gray handed him the sheet, but he completely missed Mr. Clive's hand, so it looked like he was sticking it out into thin air. Mr. Clive didn't even crack a smile and took the paper from him.

"Well done, Gray. Looks like you got every problem right. I'm impressed," Mr. Clive complimented.

"Smarty pants," I grumbled.

"Hey, he didn't say you were wrong, he just said you were messy," Gray snickered. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm rolling my eyes, Gray," I whispered, slightly jealous. I wondered just how smart he actually was. Gray grinned and and reached out to touch my hair.

"Show me where your hair is, so I can pat it," He asked seriously, although the mischievous grin was still present on his face. I took his hand, ignoring the electric sparks I felt, and guided his hand to my hair.

I grit my teeth together as he ruffled it like I was a child. "Your hair is really fluffy and spiky," Gray noted, smirking like this was the revelation of the century.

"Yes, I'm aware of that. It's also pink. Do you see the problem here?" I sulked.

"I don't see anything," Gray responded quietly, turning away.

I immediately felt both guilty and pity for him. I honestly have no idea what he goes through every day, and I hope I never do. I placed my hand on his shoulder tenderly. "Hey, it's okay."

Gray sniffled- oh my god- and rubbed his eyes under his sunglasses. "Yeah. Yeah. I'm fine."

"Good."

"If you're all done with your tender moment, then you can start working on the assignment on the board," Lucy interrupted, pointing to the whiteboard, which had Section 2.1 notes written in blueberry-colored teacher's cursive. She gave me a tiny wink before turning back to copying the notes down.

I felt my ears get warm as I busied myself with writing down the notes, turning to Gray. "Need help?"

"I'm okay," He whispered back. "I have the notes pre-saved already on my device. I'm just listening to them now." He popped in some earbuds and sunk into his beanbag, beginning to blast Learning Statistics and other Advanced Mathematics by Hiro Mashima - Audiobook version. Section 2.1.

I shamelessly stared at his emotionless face a little longer. Shrugging slightly, I focused back on the notes, scribbling them down into my notebook. I began to draw a function on a x-y axis to help me explain one of the teams. I hardly even knew what I was doing. It was just too hard to concentrate when Gray was literally right there and looking so peaceful and shit.

I really need to get my mind off this tantalizing boy.

A/N:

As punishment for not making gratsu canon, I made Mashima a mega-ultra-super-boring math textbook writer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

431K 14.3K 50
Lucy Heartfilia and Natsu Dragneel are best friends since they are young. They are always together. They do everything together. They don't keep secr...
4.1K 115 8
Love isn't always as it seems. One moment you're throwing insults and pounding each other's faces in... Wait, what? Oh. I guess love doesn't usually...
167 16 4
When Sting tells Natsu that one of his friends from school is going to be joining their weekly Dungeons & Dragons game, Natsu isn't impressed - their...
43.4K 1.2K 28
Till this day I still reget that I didn't tell him about my feelings.. Now he has somone else.. He is gone.. I don't know how much longer I can take...