concealing ➸ tomlinson

By wasteIands

❝but at night, while the others slept, we kept walking the tightrope. it was practice, and some of us fell.❞ ... More

concealing
i
ii
iii
iv.
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
xliv
xlv
xlvi
xlvii
xlviii
xlix
L
Li
Lii
Liii
Liv
Lv
Lvi
Lvii
Lviii
Lix
Lx
Lxi
Lxii
Lxiii
sequel, etc.
sequel plans
sequel and expansion

xxxix

69 4 0
By wasteIands

a longer update hey lmao anD THIS WAS SO FUN TO WRITE I LOVE 5 ES OH ES !!!

at first, the only thing any of the four boys could see was pitch blackness.

"turn on the fucking light, dumbass." calum mumbled.

michael told himself that he'd properly punch calum later. uncertainly, he found the doorway and gripped it, using his other hand to whack against the wall and look for any sort of switch. a few more steps in and he ran into something hard, and a few feet away something shattered.

"was that me?" he asked to no one in particular.

"uh, i think that was me?" luke's voice came from the same direction as the shatter.

one could almost feel the instantaneous eye roll that everyone did.

after a few more blind seconds and after ashton fell on his face about twice, luke finally found a switch on the wall that turned on a single rusty light-bulb that was dangling from a wire. michael noted the glass on the ground where luke had been and made sure to walk around it. then he started to look around the rest of the room.

to be fair, it was fairly large; maybe not large enough to be lost in for about a minute and a half, but that's was open for argument. the room was mostly open, with a few cabinets lined up on the bottom half of the wall and long tables mostly positioned in the center, close to the sole light source. the tables themselves were nearly empty, save for a few vials- also empty- and a laptop.

ashton picked up a vial and looked it over. "didn't think jacob was into science?.

"doubt he is." michael crouched down and opened the laptop. not very surprisingly, but still dishearting, it was password protected. he gritted his teeth and exhaled.

luke came over and looked. "what's going to be on here, you really think he's going to have something bad?"

"it's either that or porn."

"that isn't bad in itself?"

"not for me."

luke rolled his eyes. michael closed the laptop and exhaled.

"can't you just read the pass-code off him?" calum suggested.

"no idea. unless he just randomly starts thinking about when i'm right behind him, i'd have to follow him in here." he laughed a little. "that's just a little more suicidal than i typically am."

"we'll get someone to help." ashton said, "i mean, niall can turn invisible, zayn has that draw-power-thing-"

"and if we get busted, they're busted too." luke cut in.

michael was still crouching, gnawing at the inside of his bottom lip until he tasted a bit of blood, fingers flying furiously over the keyboard, and hoping that the computer wouldn't permanently lock itself after too many failed attempts. it had taken enough courage to sneak his three friends in here, doing it again with more people was almost certain to end badly. he didn't know how severely jacob would come after them. there could be nothing at risk at all.

"okay," he said, cutting into the ongoing conversation the other three were having. "if we can convince someone else to help us out, we'll come back later. if not... we'll just leave this lie?"

ashton frowned. "why would we just drop this, this could be really important."

"or it could be nothing at all; we don't fucking know." michael snapped back.

a surprisingly tense silence took over for what dragged on to be maybe twenty seconds. then calum cleared his throat.

"okay, we'll look around tomorrow. we'll figure out what to do tomorrow?"

luke nodded almost instantaneously, then glanced down at michael, still staring at the "incorrect password" text. finally, he nodded.

calum exhaled, moving a motionless ashton towards the door until he started to actually walk.

"we'll find you guys tomorrow." luke said, receiving a nod from calum.

once they had left, luke promptly whacked michael in the back of the head. michael returned with turning around and punching him in the thigh.

"we're not going to start fighting over a goddamn room- laptop, whatever you're getting stressed about."

michael realized his fingers were still bouncing up and down and tried to calm himself down a little. luke frowned a little. "are you alright?" he asked.

michael opened his mouth to say that he really did not feel okay when, from down the long hallway, the door reopened. luke and michael both turned around. the footsteps that became audible weren't walking away. michael slammed the laptop shut as quietly as possible while luke bolted a few steps to the door and closed it as quickly as he could without slamming it. his chest began to rise and fall quicker and quicker as panic began to work it's way through him.

"come on, come on." michael grabbed luke's arm and tugged him towards the cabinets.

luke opened his mouth, but a sudden shock of pain shot up his feet. his mouth remained open as he froze in place. michael spun around and glanced down. the glass.

"fuck, fuck." michael left luke standing there, opened one of the cabinet doors, and went around the glass to help him out.

"no no no, he's going to see this." luke mumbled out; michael was hardly able to pick out what he'd said until luke dropped onto his knees and shoveled the glass into his hands.

michael's eyes widened. "you're fucking cra-"

luke silenced him with a glare. they had seconds until who- presumably jacob- walked in on them. michael swore to himself that he was going to have to have a talk about transferring the title of the crazy one. but he helped shove luke into the compact space. at some point he might've accidentally clocked luke in the jaw on the way in.

almost the second that michael closed the cabinet door, the door into the room opened. he and luke sat in the dark silence. michael winced at remembering that they'd forgotten to turn off the fucking lights.

luke, a mere few inches away, struggled to keep quiet. somewhere between being shoved into a space that required his head to be forced between his knees and having glass in his feet and hands had caused his chest to tighten up. every breath came out in tiny panicked gasps. he could feel the blood dripping from his hands and every sensation that claimed his skin seemed to be enclosing in on him.

the person outside walked around for a few minutes. michael listened intensely through the somewhat thin material that hid them. his heart fell when he heard the sound of the keys on the keyboard being used. they were going to be trapped for a while.

michael let his shoulders drop slightly, focusing his concentration on luke's thoughts. they were mostly a jumbled mess of unintelligible screams. carefully, he moved his arm and placed it on luke's shoulder. he felt the immediate tension, but it began to wear down after a few seconds.

after what felt to michael like hours and to luke like days, they finally heard the door close; the faint light coming in through the cracks disappearing. michael blinked, then lightly shook luke, who'd dozed off with his head on michael's knees.

"come on." he whispered.

luke instantly caught his breath when he started to move, the dulled pain snapping back in vivid colors up and down his body. michael exhaled, hoping the person who'd been outside was gone for good, and used his foot to force open the door. sure enough, the lights were off, and they were alone.

it took a few moments for michael to evade the spot where the glass had shattered- just in case luke had missed some- hit the lights again, and come back to help luke out.

"you are so goddamn stupid." michael said, clearing his throat, which felt raw. he'd helped luke onto the ground. what glass hadn't gone into his hands spilled out onto the ground next to him when luke finally released his grip. they hadn't even started to look at his feet yet, although it couldn't have been as bad.

"he would've noticed the glass." luke exhaled. he looked terrible; his eyes were bloodshot from probably crying at some point, and his skin was significantly paler than usual- if that was possible. "he would've noticed, a-and we would've gotten caught."

michael glanced at his friend as he tried to figure out the best thing to do. he had to guess there was some sort of medical station in the building; if he remembered right, louis had mentioned it, but michael hadn't been paying attention in the slightest.

"okay, i think i'm going to try and take some of these out. if it starts to get too much, tell me, okay?"

luke nodded in a very out-of-it fashion. michael got to putting his fingers against the edge of a piece of glass before he decided he was extremely not capable of pulling them out of his friend. already resigned, michael leaned back and exhaled.

"okay, we're going to find wherever louis said the infirmary is and getting this out without giving you god knows what disease."

despite the situation, luke smiled weakly. uncertainly, he tried to sit himself up.

"no, no." michael held him in place. "you're not hurting yourself anymore."

this would've normally sparked bickering, but luke was hardly awake enough to form a proper sentence. michael picked luke up bridal style- another detail of the night that would need to be sworn to secrecy- and walked as fast as he could out from the room. luke, like the rest of them, hardly weighed a thing, thus weren't much to carry. although michael wasn't exactly made of muscle either.

"well it's staring to hurt less." luke commented, glancing up at michael with a purposely over-the-top smile.

michael rolled his eyes. "if you start going hysterical i'm just going to drop you here."

once out into the halls, michael ran around until he found the infirmary. it was dark inside, but after setting luke down and banging on it for about two straight minutes, a light finally turned on inside and the door was unlocked from the other side. a girl in a nurse's outfit opened the door.

"hello?" she asked.

michael exhaled. "hey, yeah-" he turned and pointed to luke, sitting against the wall with his palms open. "he's got glass on his hands and feet."

the nurse looked down and nodded. "bring him in."

michael picked luke up again and sat him down inside on one of the beds. what followed was a tedious process that luke literally never got used to. but michael remained stubborn and stayed in the room, and, once luke had one hand de-glassed, had to hold luke's hand.

the list of things being sworn to secrecy was growing painfully fast.

luke was properly bandaged, disinfected, every fun medical thing michael cared to take note of. and it was admittedly interesting to see luke try and walk, especially with the wrapping on his feet. luke waited for michael to say something degrading, but nothing came.

"come on." michael rolled his eyes, said thanks to the nurse for the help, and proceeded to help luke hobble back to his room.

"that had to make the top five in our worst moments." luke said before wincing as he put his foot down the wrong way.

"moral- don't pick up fucking glass." michael grinned slightly.

"well he didn't catch us, did he?" luke rolled his eyes. "how come i was the one that got all the glass, how did you entirely miss it?"

"my carelessness for my own well-being is impressively countered by the universe making sure not an inch of me is hurt."

"i just think god is too entertained with you to watch you die."

michael opened the door and helped luke onto the bed.

"i'll talk to the guys and tell them we'll wait until you're healed."

"i can walk-"

"yeah, and you look like a cripple. not attention-drawing at all."

luke rolled his eyes. "whatever."

"stay and bed and heal yourself, okay? just do that for me."

"fine."

michael hesitated a moment. "thanks for getting the glass, i'd totally forgot about it."

luke looked up at him and smiled.

"don't get fucking cocky." michael lightly punched him in the shoulder and finally left.

they were fucking idiots, and michael finally laughed at the sheer hugeness that the night had been. that had at least reduced his stress. although he wasn't entirely sure they were off the hook; the person that had come into the room had to have noticed the light being left on. but if luke could not pass out because of having glass lodged in him- because michael knew he wouldn't have made it six feet- then goddamn they were going to be able to figure out what was being hidden in that room.

-

stats;

date; september 6, 2014

words- 2,188

reads- 2,430

comments- 14 (comment more you dinguses when was the last time this number changed)

votes- 30

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 6 28
West Pub By Tessa

Fanfiction

411 2 8
6.2K 213 35
I go to a summer camp in the US for the first time. I meet a bunch of nice people and.... him. Hes popular and Im the awkward quiet girl. The camp on...
2.5K 9 39